Thread: Over 50's

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Over 50's

Hi Guys.
    I'm 52 years old and I recently started working out down the gym and at home.
    I only started in June but already my body shape has started to change and I'm looking better now than I did 30 years ago.
    It's hard work trying to put on muscle at my age and I dare say that there is someone out there who agrees with me!
    My cardio work is done each day I cycle home from work, (10 miles). It's good for burning the fat too.
    I do 3 workouts per week Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
    Monday I work on chest, arms and shoulders. Wednesday Legs and Abs and Friday chest, arms, shoulders and delts and I include as many other muscle groups as I can during my workout.
    Because I'm over 50 I have to work harder to get results than someone half my age. Having said that, stripped to the waist I look better than a lot of lads in their mid twenties!
    I'm 6'2".
    At my heaviest in 2006 I was 23 stone (322lbs or 146kgs).
    I now weigh in at 16.5 stone (231lbs or 105kgs). That's a loss of 6.5 stone in two years.
    Trouble is I seem to gain weight very easily so I do watch what I eat more carefully than I did a couple of years ago.
    I do have a little bit of flab around the lower abs area and the 'love handles' area.
    Any tips or advice on how to get rid of this flab?
    Did any of you have the same trouble???
    Cheers
    Eddy

• Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

DONT TALK TO ME ABOUT TROUBLE
    tell me your secret of your fat loss we sound very alike i am 51yrs 245lbs 24% bf and starting to fall to bits

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Hi Homer.
    Sorry about the delay in replying.
    Secret of weight loss?
    Dunno, just cut back on things, but there was a lot of motivational reasons behind it.
    I looked in the mirror and I was a fat bastard, a total slob and I thought Christ Almighty I've got to change! Then my daughter tells me she's getting engaged to the bloke she's been living with for the past two years. No problem there, a nice lad who looks after her. But I just could'nt see myself walking her down the isle looking like I did.
    A lot of people will judge me on her big day and I really want to look better in there than anyone else my age or younger.
    Tuna fish and/or chicken with veg. Delicious!

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit

Hey well I'm 51 yrs old and almost couldn give blood last Apr (when it looked like a grandson might need surgery) cuz I was so outta shape. You know, blood presure and all that stuff.

Wife started feeding me better/healthier, started riding a mountain bike, then started some weight training. I've lost 26 lbs at this point and really dig the new lifestyle

I just eat 5 meals a day, three hrs apart, 6:30 am - 6:30 pm. I'm not real scientific about it, just make sure that it's good stuff (apples, yogurt etc) I drink lots of water and never really get too hungry.

I've found reading stuff on this board to be real inspirational for me and have enjoyed all that I've learned.

So hang in there, mate. All us old guys need to stick together

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by eddytheeagle View Post
    Hi Guys.
    I'm 52 years old and I recently started working out down the gym and at home.
    I only started in June but already my body shape has started to change and I'm looking better now than I did 30 years ago.
    It's hard work trying to put on muscle at my age and I dare say that there is someone out there who agrees with me!
    My cardio work is done each day I cycle home from work, (10 miles). It's good for burning the fat too.
    I do 3 workouts per week Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
    Monday I work on chest, arms and shoulders. Wednesday Legs and Abs and Friday chest, arms, shoulders and delts and I include as many other muscle groups as I can during my workout.
    Because I'm over 50 I have to work harder to get results than someone half my age. Having said that, stripped to the waist I look better than a lot of lads in their mid twenties!
    I'm 6'2".
    At my heaviest in 2006 I was 23 stone (322lbs or 146kgs).
    I now weigh in at 16.5 stone (231lbs or 105kgs). That's a loss of 6.5 stone in two years.
    Trouble is I seem to gain weight very easily so I do watch what I eat more carefully than I did a couple of years ago.
    I do have a little bit of flab around the lower abs area and the 'love handles' area.
    Any tips or advice on how to get rid of this flab?
    Did any of you have the same trouble???
    Cheers
    Eddy
    L-Carnitine is very good fat-burner. It helps to burn the fat and help build muscle at the same time.
    Last edited by QwaiChang; 09-28-2009 at 03:39 PM.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Life at 50

I am 50 years old. I started lifting weights and exercising 6 years ago. I weighed 260lbs and body fat was off the chart. I now weigh 195 and am at 11% body fat. I feel great. For those who say that they can't do it. You can. I did. Proper diet, exercise and alot of discipline and you are on your way. I applaud anyone who makes this journey.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by t2kevans View Post
    I am 50 years old. I started lifting weights and exercising 6 years ago. I weighed 260lbs and body fat was off the chart. I now weigh 195 and am at 11% body fat. I feel great. For those who say that they can't do it. You can. I did. Proper diet, exercise and alot of discipline and you are on your way. I applaud anyone who makes this journey.
    Hi welcome to the forum

Congrat's on the results, just shows us old un's can give these young bucks a run for their money...
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Hi,

I am 56 years old, weigh 168 lbs and stand 5'8". My weight was 220 jobs when I started watching what I eat and working out about 3 years ago. The weight is still a never ending battle. My waist went from 42" to 34".

I started out doing mainly cardio and then about a 1 1/2 years ago I started getting back into lifting. I was doing a full body workout 3 days a week and cardio on the off days. Today I started going with a 4 day workout and cardio on 2 days.

I don't know if I am doing it correctly or not. I do seemed to have goten results but I still want to shed the fat. The problem is, I don't know what is fat and what is loose skin. Obviously, if skin, then nothing can be done short of surgery,(no thanks).

I still have fat hanging around my lower waist and a little on my lower pecs. I have increased the size of my pecs and arms. Still want to increase the size of my arms and work on my pecs a little more to try and get rid of the fat there.

My diet is fairly clean with a lot of veggies, fruit, baked chicken breast and tuna, salmon and talapia. I do take a Protein supplement along with a multi vitamin, vitamin B Complex, garlic caps and fish oil caps.

My doctor said that I am fine the way I am but I tend to disagree.

Does anyone have any suggestions, comments or general comments that may assist me in seeking my goal?

Thank you

Lady Lake CrossFit Owner bbaker352's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit

Let me tell you somethng about old age... It's just a number!! I took a guy that was 66 years old. He had a solid frame, but had the extra chub to go with it... I worked with him on a 3 day routine for muscle building (allowing him extra time for recovery due to age...as needed) and had him doing a cardio program immediately following our workout similar to the one Doug has in his female cutting routine. He did cardio in the mornings first thing on his off days...once again keeping awareness on his anerobic threshold, ensureing to only dip into his anaerobic state for a minute or two max. I took him to a bodybuilding comp in the panhandel of Florida and he took 2nd! Don't tell me it can't be done, and don't let anyone else tell you that either. NO carbs 3 hours before bed time, no simple carbs anyti
    e other than post workout, diet with fruits, veggies, nuts and as much raw as possible.
    Go make it happen
    Bryan
    "You will learn by the numbers. I will teach you!"

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Lose Weight
    • Training Log

Howdy folks
    Im 52 hoping to be 53 in 4 weeks. I haven't been to the gym in 3 years at that time I was rolling pretty well I had gotten down to 206 (goal is under 200). I have been floating at 225-230 over the last 3 years since I stopped doing anything.

I just started back to the gym on 16 June, Im currently trying the 12 week beginner's training. Any tips from you good people on dieting while trying to get to my goal of under 200 lbs? Any assistance is appreciated.

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      More Strength

Quote Originally Posted by prophet1 View Post
    Howdy folks
    Im 52 hoping to be 53 in 4 weeks. I haven't been to the gym in 3 years at that time I was rolling pretty well I had gotten down to 206 (goal is under 200). I have been floating at 225-230 over the last 3 years since I stopped doing anything.

I just started back to the gym on 16 June, Im currently trying the 12 week beginner's training. Any tips from you good people on dieting while trying to get to my goal of under 200 lbs? Any assistance is appreciated.
    Some work is required on your part to get your weight down. What you need to do is figure out how many calories you're currently eating in an average day by logging everything that passes your lips over the course of an average week, and dividing that number by 7. That's your daily average.

Then take 200-300 calories off that number, and that's your target caloric intake per day. Adjust your diet to meet that number. 200-300 calories per day is about 2 thick slices of bread.

Measure your weight weekly to make sure it's going down. Make sure you measure your weight under the same circumstances each week. For example, on a Monday morning, after having a **** and taking a crap.

Combine this with a decent exercise program and you will start to shed the excess lbs.

After a while, your weight loss may stall. Don't panic, this probably means that you've reached a new maintenance level of caloric intake. Reduce by another 200-300 cals per day if your weight doesn't drop for a month or so.

Steady weight loss is more sustainable that a fad diet which might have you reducing your diet by far more calories per day.

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. – Socrates

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

Hello fellas. I'm going back to the gym after a decade lay-off! I know I'm going to catch hell for the first few months. I'm sick and tried of doing nothing since retirement and I've gotten super-lazy! I lost 30lb. of fat and muscle since than, but able to maintain 200lb. Most guys gain fat weight and water weight and get all bloated when they retire. I'm on the slim and trim side of the family, no fat ass here. I guess I can put that 30lb. back on minus the fat within a couple of months with a proper diet and supplementation and maybe even try a comp in a year or two. Happy Training!

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by TaiChiChuan View Post
    Hello fellas. I'm going back to the gym after a decade lay-off! I know I'm going to catch hell for the first few months. I'm sick and tried of doing nothing since retirement and I've gotten super-lazy! I lost 30lb. of fat and muscle since than, but able to maintain 200lb. Most guys gain fat weight and water weight and get all bloated when they retire. I'm on the slim and trim side of the family, no fat ass here. I guess I can put that 30lb. back on minus the fat within a couple of months with a proper diet and supplementation and maybe even try a comp in a year or two. Happy Training!
    I hear you. I fell into the same trap, somewhat, but unlike you, I had to ditch the crowd I was hanging out with. Really good people they'll watch your back, take you home when you get too wasted, plenty of hetero sex, etc,etc, but they were holding me back from my "Getting Huge" goal. It was like taking two steps forward and one step back, getting no where. Actually when I think about it now, I was a sorry ass looking MF'er back then even though I did managed to get to the gym at least once or twice a week. I have no idea what your age is, but it seems like we have the same goals in mind. Train hard and stay strong TCC.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Get Fit

About weight loos products

The best type of weight loss products are natural ones, and that is exactly what we are offering you. In fact, the physicians under our care will be able to pinpoint exactly what your body is lacking and how best to treat it. From there a proper therapy can be prescribed. The entire process is entirely safe and fully effective and most importantly, legal. Many other products out there are not known to be either.

As a matter of fact, there is no other better way to get your body in shape and give it just what it lacks so you can gain vitality and strength. Why take a chance and potentially ruin the most important thing in your life – your health? Instead, get injections, buy online to save you precious time and money without compromising your safety.

Even without diet and exercise, you will surely experience a positive change in your body. Our products increase bone health, muscle mass and get rid of stored up fat anywhere in the body. Your entire body composition will change as soon as you start to use our products.

With added diet and exercise, you will see life-changing results in no time and the best part of all is that these results do not fade away. Also, we will work with you at every turn to make sure you are getting the best results while maintaining a healthy lifestyle. The weight loss miracle everyone has been searching for is right here, and we are offering you the chance to get started today and turn your life around completely.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

Hello,
    I'm 51 And I have Ben training since I was 19 when I was on the Navy and I and have competed and looking to get into some masters competitions my Training style is Power-Muscle-Burn I will add photos in my profile soon and I look forward to chatting with mature muscle guys like myself.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Well heck.
    Ok, here goes!

I'm 57. Will be 58 the latter part of this month.
    I am retired from law enforcement, and spent 12 years with one of our military reserve components.

When I was young (20's and up into my mid 30's), I trained off and on, but at least somewhat regularly.
    After retirement, I opened a business, and got on with life. I started doing martial arts again, but for all that's involved in that, it still did little for my weight loss or physique (look at a lot of martial arts instructors and you'll see what I mean).

Fast forward 15+ years.

Without all the back story, at the age of 56, I started CrossFit, went Paleo cold turkey (no pun intended), and in a few months, went from 252 to 196!
    I felt and looked better than I did when I was in my mid 30's working as a full time street cop and member of the military.

A torn rotator sidelined me for a few months, and I put on about 24 of the 52#'s I had lost
    I decided to do something about it!~

Got strict on the diet, dropped any junk I was shoving in my pie hole, and went back to the gym.
    Started with TRX 3 days a week, a modified crossfit routine 2x's week, and a weight routine on days i felt as though I needed more specific work.

I just flipped the routine, and am doing TRX every other week, only 2x's a week.
    I do weight training at least 3x's a week, and some form, usually fasting cardio, daily before anything else.
    I do a lot of rowing, jump roping, and boxing/Martial Arts to get the heart rate up.

I'm currently holding at 205/210, @ 5'8", and am seeing definition that I haven't seen in, well, forever!!
    Having to deal with some minor radiation therapy for now, but that ends Friday.

I've recently scaled back my work schedule a bit, to take a little more time for "me" and the of course family.
    The stress of running the types of businesses I run, will kill you if you let it, and it's terrible for the cortisol levels in your body.

My BW goal is 200#, <15% BF, and some nice definition, while maintaining functional strength.
    My overall goal is to do the Battle Frog OCR, and a couple of other OCR's over the next year. I don't have any design on placing, I just want to finish under my own power and show the kids the old man still "has it!"

RW
    Last edited by Roguewave; 10-05-2014 at 10:47 AM.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Roguewave View Post
    Well heck.
    Ok, here goes!

RW
    Hi RW, welcome to the forum, good luck with your goal
    Doug

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Thanks Doug.
    Lot of good information here.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Its good to hear age is just a number, I will be 52 Jun 3, very familiar with the gym but nothing to show for it. Many years of bad nutrition and poor technique, plus inconsistency. I have Krav maga membership I cant get to (Truck Driver), making attempts hard to follow through. So, developing home gym plenty of dumbbell / BowFlex set. I copied your fullbody dumbbell routine. Controlling diet / life change, low glycemic way. 5'11'' 270lbs. I carry it pretty good until I get undressed and my gut is what it is, no fat but there.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

That's very good..

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Caryon View Post
    Its good to hear age is just a number, I will be 52 Jun 3, very familiar with the gym but nothing to show for it. Many years of bad nutrition and poor technique, plus inconsistency. I have Krav maga membership I cant get to (Truck Driver), making attempts hard to follow through. So, developing home gym plenty of dumbbell / BowFlex set. I copied your fullbody dumbbell routine. Controlling diet / life change, low glycemic way. 5'11'' 270lbs. I carry it pretty good until I get undressed and my gut is what it is, no fat but there.
    Hi Caryon, welcome to the forum

All the info you require to achieve your goals is contained on this forum, anything your not sure of, post a question up and it will be answered. Good luck on achieving your goal
    Doug

• Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Tone Up

My father is 50+ and I want to inspire him to hit the gym. He eats so unhealthy and he never workouts. Is there any way I could make him love doing exercises and eating only healthy foods?
    Eat Healthy - Live Longer