Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Default Belated Sunday Morning Weigh-In

Crap. I forgot to post my charts on Sunday. Here is what they were then:

WyomIAN

"'We're only human' is our excuse to say we're not in control over our actions; prefering to blame some 'natural process' for our own self-indulgence in personal gain." -- Subhumans
    _______________________ _________ ________ _______ ______ _____ ____ ___ __ _

BGD - Superset Superman muscletrainerdh's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by WyomIAN View Post

I had to change to isometric curls.

Should I go ahead and reduce the weight further at this point? Say, to the point that I can complete 2 unassisted sets of 12 on the right arm, and then do negative lifts with assistance on the left? I'm surprised how dramatic the change from standing to isometric curls was.
    Are you sure ISOMETRIC is the word you wanted here? ISOMETRIC Exercises are when you hold your arm in a fixed position against an immovable object. Do you mean you focused more on the ECCENTRIC (lowering) part of the movement, lowering the weight very slowly? because you are assisting the arm to the top of the movement? NO matter, in either case, I WOULD NOT reduce the weight further. Just try to do less assisted reps the next time.

The longer your muscle is under tension the stronger you should get! So keep at it, your left side will be caught up in no time.

Sounds like you are getting decent "Pumps" from these workouts!

Good Job!!
    POWER LEVEL: 54,481

Sarcasm and Cynicism are not helpful or attractive traits, respond to posts as you wish to be responded to.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Quote Originally Posted by muscletrainerdh View Post
    Are you sure ISOMETRIC is the word you wanted here? ISOMETRIC Exercises are when you hold your arm in a fixed position against an immovable object. Do you mean you focused more on the ECCENTRIC (lowering) part of the movement, lowering the weight very slowly? because you are assisting the arm to the top of the movement? NO matter, in either case, I WOULD NOT reduce the weight further. Just try to do less assisted reps the next time.

The longer your muscle is under tension the stronger you should get! So keep at it, your left side will be caught up in no time.

Sounds like you are getting decent "Pumps" from these workouts!

Good Job!!
    Hey! Thanks for the encouragement and ongoing advice!

Yes, isometric is the word. I had been doing my dumbbell bicep curls by standing with a dumbbell in each hand. Now, to assist, I am sitting on the bench with my elbow against the inside of my thigh.

It is really difficult to do more than a couple reps on the second set with even my dominant arm. Regardless, I will keep the weight the same.

I was sore for days after my last workout. It felt good. I assume that it is best to wait until one is no longer sore before working out the same muscles again?

Meanwhile, my appetite has decreased dramatically. I think it is because I have not been going on my runs or walks. Work got in the way last week to some extent, but I have little other excuse aside from some slight depression. Aside from my workouts, I've been on the couch for the better part of a week now.
    WyomIAN

"'We're only human' is our excuse to say we're not in control over our actions; prefering to blame some 'natural process' for our own self-indulgence in personal gain." -- Subhumans

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Default 12-Week Beginner Routine: Week 5, Day 2

Total Time: 90min.

1. Squats: 56(12), 56(12)
    2. Back Extension: 56(12), 56(12)
    3. Standing Calf Raise: 56(12), 56(12)
    4. Lying Leg Curl: 45(12), 45(12)
    5. Negative Single Arm Dumbbell Rows: 26(12), 26(12) *first unassisted completion of both sets
    6. Dumbbell Shrug: 52(12), 52(12)
    7. Flat Bench Press: 70(12), 70(11)
    8. Dumbbell Press: 32(12), 32(12)
    9. Lying Dumbbell Extension: 20(12), 20(12)
    10. Regular Crunches: 30(12), 30(12)
    11. Oblique Crunches (L): 30(12), 30(12)
    12. Oblique Crunches (R): 30(12), 30(12)
    13. Negative Isometric Dumbbell Curl (L): 7(12), 5(12) *completed 2nd set assisted
    14. Negative Isometric Dumbbell Curl (R): 12(12), 7(12) *completed 2nd set assisted
    15. Dumbbell Wrist Curl: 16(12), 16(12)
    Notes: Aside from 8lbs falling off one end of a dumbbell onto the hardwood flooring, I had a great time during this workout. A few noteworthy things happened. First, I accidentally loaded the barbell with an extra 10lbs without noticing until after having completed all my squats, lower back extensions, and calf raises. Second, I completed the negative single arm cable rows on my left side at 26lbs--time to begin the extra reps as advised by dh. Third, I successfully move up to 16lbs for the wrist curls, and 45 for the lying leg extensions. Progress!

Finally, I did negative rows and bicep curls on both arms, and for all reps. Is this right? Or, should I only be doing the negative bit on my weaker arm, and/or when I'm failing? A thousand thanks in advance for all the support and advice. I'm not giving up!
    WyomIAN

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Thumbs up Sunday Morning Weigh-In & Measurements

Weight: 169.0
    Body Fat: 16.0%
    Waist: 35.25"
    Hips: 38"
    Neck: 16"
    Chest: 37"
    Bicep (L): 12.25"
    Bicep (R): 12.50"
    Wrist (L): 6.50
    Wrist (R): 7.00

Notes: In terms of my diet, I think the chart above is evidence that things are increasingly under control. I still struggle with eating enough protein on some days, but I think my carb and fat intake are quite flatlined at this point. I am getting somewhat bored of the foods I am eating, and so will begin experimenting a bit more with variety. Often my fat intake is slightly over my target, but this is almost always due to my high intake of "good" fats through flaxseed meal, which is mandated by my physician to control stress-related digestive problems. Ugh.

Anyway, despite my scale's indications of only minimal negative slope, my bodyfat has definitely decreased, and is readily apparent in my chest. I suppose I am pleased with my results thus far, but I am eager to begin bulking, and have become frustrated in how long it is taking to have any significant impact on my belly. Despite the tape, I personally see some fsat loss around the hips, but it is minor. I really want to start going for muscle size increase, but am still not satisfied with my basic starting point. I need to increase my cardio again, but continue to be in the doldrums and unmotivated to run. I will try to at least walk everyday. I'm alaso about to start the final six weeks of the 12-week beginner routine, which will mean additional days of exercise. Maybe I should just start bulking anyway? I dunno.

Also, my measurements suck. That is, I feel aside from my weight, they are all totally unreliable. I have no consistency in taking measurements with the tape, and the bodyfat measurement of the scale can vary up to 2% on any given reading within seconds of one another. Never the less, I can definitely attest to the fact that the shape of my chest has changed insofar as it has more shape and is more compact as indicated by the above tape reading of almost 2" less than that previous. Unfortunately, this is making my gut all the more prominent.

In a similar vein, I am uncertain how to take these tape measurements. I am taking them all in a completely relaxed body posture; no flexing. This is somewhat unusual for my hip reading, as I never stand with my belly completely relaxed in the manner that I am taking the reading. My abs are almost always flexed to some extent in support of my lower back when standing. Dunno.
    WyomIAN

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Hey IAN!

Keep it up buddy! Love your writings.

1) If you're concerned about the prominence of your gut, I"d continue to cut.

2) If you're using a BIA bodyfat scale, take the readings with a grain of salt as the depend heavily on your body's hydration level.

3) Taking tape measures yourself is a pain in the Butt. I normally take my measurements flexed, except Abs. You'll notice that when you flex your arms they grow, but when you flex you abs, they get drawn in so the measurment will be smaller than a relaxed belly measurement. And that's what our aim is, right, a smaller tighter belly when we are relaxed.

You're making great progress considering your set back a couple of weeks ago with illness.

Stay Strong,

Dave

Sarcasm and Cynicism are not helpful or attractive traits, respond to posts as you wish to be responded to.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Post 12-Week Beginner Routine: Week 6, Day 1

Total Time: 75min.

2. Single Arm Dumbbell Row (L): 26(14), 26(12) *negative fail 2nd set
    3. Single Arm Dumbbell Row (R): 26(14), 26(14)
    4. Back Extension: 56(12), 56(12)
    5. Standing Calf Raise: 56(14), 56(14)
    6. Flat Bench Press: 70(12), 70(12) *first completion of both sets
    7. Lying Leg Curl: 45(14), 45(14)
    8. Dumbbell Press: 40(12), 40(12)
    9. Dumbbell Shrug: 60(12), 60(12)
    10. Lying Dumbbell Extension: 20(12), 20(11) *Fail
    11. Regular Crunches: 30(12), 30(12)
    12. Oblique Crunches (L): 30(12), 30(12)
    13. Oblique Crunches (R): 30(12), 30(12)
    14. Isometric Dumbbell Curl (L): 12(12), 5(12) *completed 2nd set assisted
    15. Isometric Dumbbell Curl (R): 12(12), 6(12) *completed 2nd set assisted
    16. Dumbbell Wrist Curl: 16(12), 16(12)
    Notes: This workout went quicker than usual, and was still enjoyable. It is notable that I increased weight on several exercises again. And, also, that I completed all 24 reps of the flat bench for the first time, AND the first left arm bicep curl set (although both with considerable struggle)! Crunches are getting boring, as I cannot realistically hold any more weight on my chest as they are so bulky. Increase reps?
    WyomIAN

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Thumbs up 12-Week Beginner Routine: Week 6, Day 2

First Six Weeks Completed!

A couple of "friends" scoffed at my "wasting" money ($50) on the used weight bench; saying that I would never stick to it. The above scan of my hand-written workout log is passive-aggressively dedicated to them, though they will never see it.

Total Time: 90min.

2. Single Arm Dumbbell Row (L): 26(14), 26(13) *negative 2nd fail set
    3. Single Arm Dumbbell Row (R): 26(14), 26(14)
    4. Back Extension: 56(12), 56(12)
    5. Standing Calf Raise: 56(20), 56(20)
    6. Flat Bench Press: 70(12), 70(12)
    7. Lying Leg Curl: 50(14), 45(14)
    8. Dumbbell Press: 40(14), 40(14)
    9. Dumbbell Shrug: 60(15), 60(15)
    10. Regular Crunches: 30(14), 30(14)
    11. Oblique Crunches (L): 30(14), 30(14)
    12. Oblique Crunches (R): 30(14), 30(14)
    13. Lying Dumbbell Extension: 20(12), 20(12) *first completion
    14. Isometric Dumbbell Curl (L): 16(12), 16(4) *completed fail set negative assisted
    15. Isometric Dumbbell Curl (R): 16(12), 16(5) *completed fail set negative assisted
    16. Dumbbell Wrist Curl: 16(14), 16(14)
    Notes: Whoohooo! Finally, I have completed the first six weeks of this beginner's routine. My gains from last session continued today, with increases abounding. I was really sore in the forearms after the last session, and anticipate being so again today. In terms of my overall gains over the last six weeks, my physical appearance has changed enough that others have commented that I have either "lost weight" or look "more toned" in my face.

At home, in the mirror, the changes are more drastic. My chest has shrunken considerably, but also increased in tone and "lifted" up so that my man-boobs are essentially gone now (in six weeks). My problematic midsection remains, and really appears the same to me, although the tape indicates slight loss. My forearms are considerably better defined, with a number of veins beginning to show beneath the skin. There is a new curve from my elbow bone to my upper wrist, and almost a new muscle entirely before unseen around my elbows themselves. My biceps have no increased in size, but have become more solid and fibrous beneath the skin. Turning my palms up, my right right bicep now is evident; where there was before a straight line from my inner elbow to my shoulder, there is now a distinct rise. The definition from the side is also definitely evident to me, as there is now a connection between the bicep and what were once "overdeveloped" triceps. My shoulders muscles visibly ripple with any arm movements, and are surely bigger, but previously not noticed so difficult to gauge the extent of increase in size/definition. My legs, too, are considerably stronger, particularly my hamstrings and inner thighs, which no longer rub together when I take my walks (which has become increasingly infrequent as of late largely due to the decreasing temperatures).

In sum, I still feel really weak, and the weight I am pushing evidences this. But, still, I have improved dramatically in my opinion.

In beginning to construct my handwritten log for the following 12-weeks, I am forced to think about my nutritional progress. I'm feeling pretty disappointed in the extent of fat loss that has occurred in my belly. And, as of late, the scale is holding steady at 169 and 16-17% BF (up from weeks passed). I'm guessing this is due to my decrease in cardiovascular activity, and am now wondering if I should reassess my BMR with a different activity level. I have been using the Moderate modifier, and now that I will be adding a workout day to each week, I presume I should retain this Moderate designation. If I were to return to my daily walk/runs, would I then move to High activity level?
    Last edited by WyomIAN; 11-05-2008 at 12:54 AM.
    WyomIAN

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Red face Seated Cable Row Alternative?

I've put together my new routines with appropriate machine alternatives because I only have a bench, weights, barbells, dumbbells, and the leg attachments for leg curls and leg extensions. However, what am I gonna use to substitute for the seated cable row on the upperbody workout of weeks 7-12 of the beginner's routine?
    WyomIAN

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Question Sunday Morning Weigh-In & Measurements

Weight: 169.0
    Body Fat: 15.5%
    Waist: 35.00"
    Hips: 38"
    Neck: 15"
    Chest: 38"
    Bicep (L): 12.5"
    Bicep (R): 12.75"
    Wrist (L): 6.5
    Wrist (R): 6.5

Notes: Alright. My weight was so stable over the last 10 days, that I began questioning the scale. So, I weighed the cat (11lbs); the scale is accurate. I believe it is the only truly accurate measurement of this whole fitness project, save perhaps for my nutritional data which is relatively free of measurement error. Nevertheless, the general trends of my data are in the right direction. However, the timeline is definitely far from the 1lb loss that is predicted for a deficit of 500 calories from my calculated BMR.

I altered my spreadsheet to calculate average daily caloric deficit. The result is a mean of 95 calories less than what I am burning on a daily basis. The data suggest that for attempting to cut, I am actually taking in too many calories for my level of activity. Even though I am ingesting 500 calories less than indicated by a Harris-Benedict Moderate Activity Level modified BMR, I am still only consuming 95 calories less than I am burning a day. Also, I have had a birthday, which appears to reduce my BMR by 20 calories.

Here are what my current BMR results look like from my spreadsheet:

So, I'm thinking that perhaps I should move down to the Harris-Benedict "Light" Activity Modifier. Doing so would indicate a daily BMR of 2,442 minus 500 calories for cutting and for a total of 1,942 calories a day. And, with a 40/40/20 PCF goal for cutting, the 1,942 calories would consist of 194g protein, 194g carbohydrates, and 43g fat.

Does anyone else agree that I should reduce my caloric intake? Dave? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
    Last edited by WyomIAN; 11-02-2008 at 09:16 PM.
    WyomIAN

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Post 12-Week Beginner Routine: Week 7, Day 1

(from 11/04/2008)

Total Time: 75min.

1. Flat Dumbbell Press: 52(12), 52(11)
    2. Incline Dumbbell Flies: 20(12)
    3. Single Arm Dumbbell Row (L): 26(14), 26(13)
    4. Single Arm Dumbbell Row (R): 26(14), 26(14)
    5. Seated Dumbbell Press: 20(12), 20(10)
    6. Dumbbell Lateral Raise: 12(9)
    7. Dumbbell Shrug: 72(12), 72(12)
    8. Lying Dumbbell Extension: 20(14), 20(11)
    9. Back Extension: 56(12), 56(12)
    10. Dumbbell Bicep Curl (L): 16(12), 16(6)
    11. Dumbbell Bicep Curl (R): 16(12), 16(7)
    12. Dumbbell Wrist Curl (L): 16(6)
    13. Dumbbell Wrist Curl (R): 16(14), 16(14)
    Notes: I wasn't sure about two things today. First, I still had no replacement for seated cable row, so I just eliminated it. Second, I wasn't sure in the 12-Week Beginner Routine instructions if the "alternate" exercises were the single rep examples provided, or if it was a suggestion that totally different exercises be replaced for variety on occasion. So, I did all the exercises listed.

Dumbbell Lateral Raise is really difficult (actually, I am just really weak)! Wow! I almost need to use just the dumbbells' bars!

My left wrist was injured on Sunday afternoon when I was doing some yardwork. I hadn't really considered it much of an injury per se until I got to the wrist curls. Ouch! So, I stopped. I'm not sure what the best way is of handling this aside from letting my left wrist rest. I went ahead and did the usual two sets of 12 for the right wrist. *shrug*

Anyway, this new routine was fun despite my having to change the weights so often since I need to now adjust for a different sequence. Incredibly, I bent one of the dumbbell collar tighteners with my thumb and forefinger. I guess this is a good indicator of gains in hand strength. ;-) In time, I will be able to invest in better equipment and/or gym membership.

I have received no feedback from my posting on cutting caloric intake in the cutting forum, but I did find a post suggesting reducing by 100 calories at a time when plateaus like this are reached. So, that is what I did.

Time to order more whey. I am sticking with ON Double Rich Chocolate.
    Last edited by WyomIAN; 11-08-2008 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Corrected weight reported for Inclince Dumbbell Flies
    WyomIAN

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Default BF% Calculation from Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    From your measurements above:

Your body fat percentage = 26.2%
    Your total body fat = 44.27 lbs
    Your fat free mass = 124.73 lbs
    Well, this is a disappointing result, I think, from the fact that my "waist" was measured around my bellybutton per request. Unfortunately, that is actually my 38" hip reading, and reinforces just how far I need to go to loose this 3" gut. *sigh*
    WyomIAN

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Hey Ian,

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with your log. I was away for Halloween and the hotel I was at didn't provide free internet access.

If your weight has remained constant for 10 days, yeah, I'd dip the calories a little. Experiment with smaller increments of 100 like you mention.

Bummer about Doug's body fat reading, but it just goes to show you how inaccurate those BIA scales are. Sorry you had to find out this way.

How is the wrist feeling? Definitely ICE it if it's giving you problems and take Ibuprofen. (And make sure you stretch it after a workout and ice it some more if it's aggrevated).

As far as a substitute for a Seated Cable Row, is there anywhere for you to attempt pull ups or body rows?

Body rows would probably be closer because it's a horizontal pulling movement rather than a verticle pulling movement (pull ups).

Hope that helps,

Dave

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Arrow

Bummer about Doug's body fat reading, but it just goes to show you how inaccurate those BIA scales are. Sorry you had to find out this way.
    It was a little surprising given how slight the majority of my body is. Anyone who knows me would describe me as "slender" or "skinny" or some other euphemism for "scrawny." I guess all my fat is just in one specific area. *shrug*

Yeah, I've been skeptical of the BIA scale since day one. I'm not sure weather to even continue tracking BF with it for my database. What is consensus on the Accu Measure Gold electronic BF caliper gizmo's accuracy? I saw it for sale with mylo tape for about $25USD. Worth the "investment?"

How is the wrist feeling? Definitely ICE it if it's giving you problems and take Ibuprofen. (And make sure you stretch it after a workout and ice it some more if it's aggrevated).
    Some pain in the 12 hours following my last workout, but none since. The bicep and wrist curls seemed to have aggravated it only temporarily.

As far as a substitute for a Seated Cable Row, is there anywhere for you to attempt pull ups or body rows?
    There is a small park nearby that might have a low bar to do body rows on; I will investigate on my walk tonight.

Hope that helps,

Dave
    Very helpful as always.
    WyomIAN

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Post 12-Week Beginner Routine: Week 7, Day 2

Total Time: 25min.

1. Squats: 56(12), 56(11)
    2. Standing Calf Raise: 56(20), 56(16)
    3. Lying Leg Curl: 53(14)
    4. Leg Extension: 40(20)
    5. Regular Crunches: 30(30), 30(30)
    6. Reverse Crunches: BW(30), BW(30)
    Notes: I messed up my log sheet and did Lower Back Extensions on the upperbody routine on Tuesday. Oops. I will place it back in Saturday's routine, and produce a new log for myself.

This routine was exceptionally quick and easy.The reverse crunches were the only straining exercise; there doesn't appear to be a way to add weight to this exercise unless one has exceptional coordination enough to balance weights on the soles of one's shoes. ;-) I started off with only 40lbs on the Leg Extension because this was the first time that I have done the exercise and wasn't sure where to begin. Also, it seems that my legs are too long for the height of the leg machine at the end of my bench, so I am unable to bring my legs all the way down. To compensate, I tried to raise and lower the weights as slowly as possible. I'm really trying to do this throughout all the exercises now. I guess form-work? Anyhow, after finishing in 25min., I had barely broken a sweat and felt like I should not even bother with the PWO shake today.

I don't understand why suddenly the 12-Week Beginner routine has reduced the number of sets for Squats, Leg Curls, and Calf Raises. I can increase the amount of weight on the Leg Curls, but I cannot safely lift any more weight over my head for the Squats and Calf Raises. Am I really getting to the point that I need to go to a gym? I'm not ready for that intrapsychically.

I ordered the cheapest ON gold standard that I could find yesterday from a new supplier, but they didn't have 5lb containers of Double Rich Chocolate. I hope that the Extreme Milk Chocolate is decent enough.
    WyomIAN

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Post 12-Week Beginner Routine: Week 7, Day 3

Total Time: 64min.

1. Single Arm Dumbbell Row (L): 26(14), 26(14) *I did it, finally!
    2. Single Arm Dumbbell Row (R): 26(14), 26(14)
    3. Flat Dumbbell Press: 52(12), 52(12)
    4. Incline Dumbbell Flies: 20(12)
    5. Seated Dumbbell Press: 20(12), 20(12)
    6. Dumbbell Lateral Raise: 12(10)
    7. Lying Dumbbell Extension: 20(13), 20(13)
    8. Dumbbell Bicep Curl (L): 16(12), 16(7)
    9. Dumbbell Bicep Curl (R): 16(12), 16(9)
    10. Dumbbell Wrist Curl (L): 16(14), 16(14)
    11. Dumbbell Wrist Curl (R): 16(14), 16(14)
    12. Dumbbell Shrug: 72(17), 72(15)
    Notes: Today's workout produced the best pump that I have experienced to date. Solid feeling and visible physical change that was significant enough to be striking when I happened by the bathroom mirror afterward. I did a double take. Now sitting down for this brief period of data entry and PWO shake, I find that the pumps also seem to include an unusual emotional component. Even though I feel great after working out, I seem to experience a kind of irritability and distractability right after. The experience has been fairly reliable.

I finally completed the two extra reps on both side of the Single Arm Dumbbell Rows. Moving up in weight on the barbells always sucks because I have to move up in 6lb increments. I'm so weak. Do they even make lower denominations of weights?

My wrist appears to be healed. Very slight initial discomfort during wrist curls, but quickly dissipated and feels fine afterward. I am trying to stretch it right now like Dave recommended. It seems to have been the rotation at the joint that caused the pain last time; a motion which was precisely the repetitive activity of the yardwork that produced the injury.

I'm about at a point of increasing weights on several exercises, but I am unsure how best to determine when to move up. I will need to do some reading on the forums, but I already feel like I have two options: (1) I can do what I did with the Single Arm Dumbbell Rows and begin with doing an extra rep on each set, then two extra reps, and when I am able to do two extra reps above the top-end of the range prescribed by the 12-Week Beginner's Routine, then I move up; or, (2) I can move up in weight when I am able to complete both sets at the top-end of the range prescribed by the routine. The latter option would seem to keep the number of reps in each set lower than the former option. *shrug*

I failed to order my whey in time, and ran out of what I had yesterday before the next shipment arrives. To tide me over until it does arrive, I picked up a 1lb container of ON Gold Standard Mocha Cappuccino flavor. Wow! It is very tasty; much better than the Double Rich Chocolate. I dare say it might even produce slightly thicker shakes with water.
    WyomIAN

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Thumbs up Sunday Morning Weigh-In

Notes: Dropping my daily caloric intake goal by 100 calories appears to have put a stop to the dastardly 169lb plateau, at least for the last two days. It is interesting that I actually failed to drop my calories by 100 with any reliability whatsoever, but that just the attempt to drop it has made a difference. This suggests considerable measurement error in my diet, but that can be successfully corrected for in terms of outcome.

To this end, I discovered yesterday that I had significantly inflated the calories and protein data of the chicken breasts that I have been consuming daily. This means that my calories and protein were actually less that what I had been using to gauge my diet's effect on my weight. So, I've corrected this in the database, but also reduced daily caloric intake by 100 calories, so it may end up a wash. Still, I am, indeed, a pound lighter than last week, so I will stick with the current BMR until I hit another sticking point.

I am not even going to bother with taking tape measurements today. It's too disheartening (which is ironic since I am cutting). I'll consider monitoring size changes on a more bi-monthly basis. It's really just my hip measurement that I want to decrease. The rest I would like to increase, save for maybe my chest, which could still stand a bit of "compression" so that when, someday in a galaxy, far, far away, I begin to look at bulking for the first time. *shrug* Slow going as expected, and now I'm just whining for the sake of whining when, in fact, I am quite pleased with the overall result of my efforts. I took a photo on the day that I began this bodybuilding experiment, and I would be willing to bet that comparison with my current appearance would reveal drastic changes. I'm not going to look yet. I need my gut to be reduced.

Further on the topic of body fat, I have retained my data tracking of the BIA scale's report because, if nothing else, it is motivating that the trend is the proper negative direction. Unfortunately, it's erratic and the slope is not greater than the slope of the negative weight trend. *sigh* I am thinking that, if the BIA actually were accurate, this would indicate that more weight being lost was muscle mass than fat.

Today's final thought is: I need to drink more water.
    WyomIAN

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Post 12-Week Beginner Routine: Week 8, Day 1

Total Time: 25min.

1. Squats: 60(12)
    2. Lower Back Extension: 60(15)
    3. Standing Calf Raise: 60(12)
    4. Lying Leg Curl: 55(14)
    5. Leg Extension: 45(14)
    6. Regular Crunches: 30(40), 30(40)
    7. Reverse Crunches: BW(40), BW(40)
    Notes: I found today's workout, my second attempt at the lower body routine, as quick as previously, but not quite as easy. I still hit the top of my reps even with additional weight, but today I broke a sweat. I think the important thing to note is that I was able to manage an increase in weight over my head for the squats, etc. I also increased the reps of the crunches, with good effect.

The ON Extreme Milk Chocolate protein arrived today. Tasty. But, since this was a PWO, I can't really compare it to anything since everything is tasty with dextrose.
    WyomIAN

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Post 12-Week Beginner Routine: Week 8, Day 2

Total Time: 70min.

1. Flat Dumbbell Press: 60(12), 60(9)
    2. Single Arm Dumbbell Row (L): 30(12), 30(12)
    3. Single Arm Dumbbell Row (R): 30(12), 30(12)
    4. Seated Dumbbell Press: 20(13), 20(13)
    5. Incline Dumbbell Flies: 32(11)
    6. Dumbbell Lateral Raise: 20(10)
    7. Lying Dumbbell Extension: 20(14), 26(12)
    8. Dumbbell Bicep Curl (L): 16(12), 16(4)
    9. Dumbbell Bicep Curl (R): 16(12), 16(5)
    10. Dumbbell Wrist Curl (L): 20(12), 20(10)
    11. Dumbbell Wrist Curl (R): 20(12), 20(12)
    12. Dumbbell Shrug: 72(15), 72(15)
    Notes: Not as great a pump as last time, nor as enjoyable. I woke this morning with a crick in my neck, and this bothered me throughout the exercises. Nonetheless, another round of weight increases indicative of all-around progress, with the exception of Dumbbell Bicep Curls in which I stayed at the same weight yet was unable to do as many reps as the past two sessions. WTF? Anyhow, my left side rows seem to have caught up to my right, and I completed both sets of 12 even with a weight increase. Do I move up again next time? I'm still unclear, even after reading quite a bit, when it is that I should be increasing the weight on my sets.
    Last edited by WyomIAN; 11-12-2008 at 08:43 PM.
    WyomIAN

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Total Time: 70min.

1. Flat Dumbbell Press: 60(12), 60(9)
    2. Single Arm Dumbbell Row (L): 30(12), 30(12)
    3. Single Arm Dumbbell Row (R): 30(12), 30(12)
    4. Seated Dumbbell Press: 20(13), 20(13)
    5. Incline Dumbbell Flies: 32(11)
    6. Dumbbell Lateral Raise: 20(10)
    7. Lying Dumbbell Extension: 20(14), 26(12)
    8. Dumbbell Bicep Curl (L): 16(12), 16(4)
    9. Dumbbell Bicep Curl (R): 16(12), 16(5)
    10. Dumbbell Wrist Curl (L): 20(12), 16(10)
    11. Dumbbell Wrist Curl (R): 20(12), 20(12)
    12. Dumbbell Shrug: 72(15), 72(15)
    Notes: Not as great a pump as last time, nor as enjoyable. I woke this morning with a crick in my neck, and this bothered me throughout the exercises. Nonetheless, another round of weight increases indicative of all-around progress, with the exception of Dumbbell Bicep Curls in which I stayed at the same weight yet was unable to do as many reps as the past two sessions. WTF? Anyhow, my left side rows seem to have caught up to my right, and I completed both sets of 12 even with a weight increase. Do I move up again next time? I'm still unclear, even after reading quite a bit, when it is that I should be increasing the weight on my sets.

Hey Ian,

Typically the protocol is to be able to do 2 extra reps for the last 2 sets of an exercise before you decide to move up in weight.

So if the next session of one arm rows you get 14 reps on both sets, then yes, you should be ready to increase the weight.

Don't force the weight increases, they will come.

Peace,

Dave

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Question

Hey Ian,

Typically the protocol is to be able to do 2 extra reps for the last 2 sets of an exercise before you decide to move up in weight.

So if the next session of one arm rows you get 14 reps on both sets, then yes, you should be ready to increase the weight.

Don't force the weight increases, they will come.

Peace,

Dave
    Well, the 12-Week Beginner's Routine specifies 10-12 reps per set on most exercises on the last six weeks. So, am I to designate 14 reps as two extra? Also, should I try to do 13 and 13, and then 14 and 14 the next session? Or should I try to do 14 and X, and then 14 and X the next session. Does that make sense? Sorry, feeling daft.
    WyomIAN

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Well, the 12-Week Beginner's Routine specifies 10-12 reps per set on most exercises on the last six weeks. So, am I to designate 14 reps as two extra? Also, should I try to do 13 and 13, and then 14 and 14 the next session? Or should I try to do 14 and X, and then 14 and X the next session. Does that make sense? Sorry, feeling daft.
    The Aim should initially be for "10 to 12" if you reach 12 and you say to yourself "Man, that was easy I'm gonna go for 13 next time. Then add one extra rep. You'll know when 2 sets of 12 reps is getting easier and it's time to try for 1 or 2 more reps. Just go with the flow.

(Read; I don't want to make it more complicated than it sounds, LOL )

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Wink

The Aim should initially be for "10 to 12" if you reach 12 and you say to yourself "Man, that was easy I'm gonna go for 13 next time. Then add one extra rep. You'll know when 2 sets of 12 reps is getting easier and it's time to try for 1 or 2 more reps. Just go with the flow.

(Read; I don't want to make it more complicated than it sounds, LOL )
    Dave,

Haha. No worries. I make everything more than complicated enough for all of us. Thanks so much for all your help. What do I owe ya so far?
    WyomIAN

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Post 12-Week Beginner Routine: Week 8, Day 3

Total Time: 43min.

1. Squats: 60(14)
    2. Leg Extension: 50(14)
    3. Lying Leg Curl: 60(12)
    4. Lower Back Extension: 60(25)
    5. Standing Calf Raise: 60(15)
    6. Regular Crunches: 30(40), 30(40)
    7. Reverse Crunches: BW(40), BW(40)
    Notes: On this, my third attempt at the way-too-easy-lower-body routine, I managed to work up a pretty good sweat and heart rate at times. To begin with, I increased the weight and/or reps of everything. I am still getting frustrated with the barbell exercises here, because I do not have the proper equipment. For example, I can easily squat more than I am presently, but I have to contend with getting the barbell onto my shoulders. Today, I did not lift it over my head (clean & jerk?) but rather managed to work it onto my shoulders while I sat on the press bench. Sort of. Not easy. Not convenient. But, it did get the heavier weight onto my shoulders. Obviously, I need a squat rack or some other means of doing this. Ugh. I'm not ready for a gym yet.

So, to compensate for the lower than optimal weights, today, I focused intently on performing each exercise with diligent intention. Slowly. Breathing through. It made a difference, especially with the crunches. My abs might even feel a little sore in the next 48 hours. That would be a first since my understanding is that I should be getting sore at this beginning stage. There was one day when my forearms and biceps were sore, but that was brief. I kind of like feeling sore, because it indicates some type of effect; a sense of efficacious power over my own body, or self-loathing masochism, who knows.

Anyway, next week will be upper-body twice, so that is something to look forward to. I definitely enjoy the upper-body workouts more than the lower, likely due to the above equipment struggles preventing pushing myself.
    WyomIAN

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Thumbs up Sunday Morning Weigh-In & Measurements

Weight: 167.5
    BIS Body Fat: 15.0%
    M&S BF Estimate: 26.2%
    Waist: 36"
    Hips: 37"
    Neck: 15.0"
    Chest: 38"
    Bicep (L): 12.5"
    Bicep (R): 13"
    Wrist: 6.75

Notes: Hey, hey, whaddaya know? I lost an inch off my belly in two weeks? Is this possible? Decreasing my calories further by using the reputedly more accurate BF-inclusive McArdle equation appears to have made a significant difference.

I realize now that my previous waist measurements were inaccurate: I was sucking in my gut in order to read the tape. I'm also measuring my wrists in front of the wrist bone now, per instructions, which has resulted in a spurious .25" increase. Also, although undeniably, my biceps have grown! I measured three times! Is this possible?

I still feel like I cannot trust my data due to the common notion here that one cannot grow muscles and lose bodyfat at the same time. However, I am indeed a beginner and this possibility has been relegated to we of little experience. Regardless, I think maybe I need to get that myotape stuff, though, because this is a PITA.
    Last edited by WyomIAN; 11-16-2008 at 01:07 PM.
    WyomIAN