MEMBER LOGIN

Thread: Running/jogging

Coming Up The Ranks WannabeBuilder's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Default Running/jogging

is really only the cardio i know, there are like bycycles i know; but i don't think my gym has one and i don't want to invest in one to ride around the neighborhood(at least not yet)

What my real question is i guess is, i hate running... i really do. Why? I'm bad at it, i feel like i am always running in bad form, my ankles hurt after 10minutes or so, and i run out of breath like no other(overweight, and have asthma). So is there any other cardios people can suggest? I've tried googling, but to no avail really; things that are just too unrelaible(e.g swimming, cycling, different types of running)

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

before you run do you warm up slowly and stretch or do you just start running? instead of "running" at a higher intensity, start out with a lower intensity cardio, like a brisk walk... make sure, if you are trying to drop weight that your diet is in proper form as well.

if you dont "like" running, try an elliptical... less stress on the joints and more of a gliding motion if you will....

other than that, i'd wear a brace for the pain and see if that helps. also invest in some good running shoes, they will make a huge difference. with everything you've said, its kind of hard to tell you a good cardio when you dont like running and all the other good sources (like bikes, and swimming (which would be easier on your joints)..) you've said no to. it takes a special type of person to "like" cardio, but if you're looking to get into shape you have to make like nike and just do it.

Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by WannabeBuilder View Post
    is really only the cardio i know, there are like bycycles i know; but i don't think my gym has one and i don't want to invest in one to ride around the neighborhood(at least not yet)

What my real question is i guess is, i hate running... i really do. Why? I'm bad at it, i feel like i am always running in bad form, my ankles hurt after 10minutes or so, and i run out of breath like no other(overweight, and have asthma). So is there any other cardios people can suggest? I've tried googling, but to no avail really; things that are just too unrelaible(e.g swimming, cycling, different types of running)
    I'm asthmatic (not that many people are aware, and when they find out I have asthma, they generally look in disbelief) and I use an aerobic step for my cardio, however I only do straight-up steps, none of this flashy dancing around all over the step (where you're liable to injury yourself); and my sessions are HIIT, interspersed with little LIIT (in the same 45 minute workout). I also have an unstable knee through a cycling accident, 20+ yrs ago, and it doesn't cause me any problems.

Have been using the same thing for 5 years now, apart from last year when I had to take time off through an ankle injury, not caused by the stepper.
    1-Finger Deadlift, 1RM: 80.3lbs/36.5kg

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

my diet is good, i've worked on it for quite awhile and i've gotten it down pat, i don't eat as "much" as i should, but that is only because of a money ordeal lately(car breaking down, starting school etc.)

i just start to jog, then sprint a little ways into it till i am out of breath, then slow down to a walk, gradually getting faster then sprint till failure, repeat.

i've got some nike shox that i just bought not too long ago, and the brace doesn't sound like a bad idea... hm. i mean i feel like after an hour of running(what my new workout calls for, 2x a day) i have got nothing done, i may be exhausted, but it's not sore legs or anything, it's just out of breath like no other... :-\

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Quote Originally Posted by WannabeBuilder View Post
    i just start to jog, then sprint a little ways into it till i am out of breath, then slow down to a walk, gradually getting faster then sprint till failure, repeat.

i've got some nike shox that i just bought not too long ago, and the brace doesn't sound like a bad idea... hm. i mean i feel like after an hour of running(what my new workout calls for, 2x a day) i have got nothing done, i may be exhausted, but it's not sore legs or anything, it's just out of breath like no other... :-\
    stay at a lower intensity... overtime you will build up a better lung capacity and be able to achieve a longer cardio session without being "exhausted." and does this "new workout" suggest that you run until you cant breathe well?

also, you said you just start out jogging. you need to stretch and warm up with a slower walk and ease yourself into your session. just imagine if you walked into the gym and put your 1 rep max on a bench and just went at it, or put 500lbs on a squat rack and just went down... obviously you're going to hurt yourself. cardio does not have to be exhausting / "out of breath like no other" to be useful in weight loss.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

no, the exercise says cardio for an hour...

it's doug's fat shredding workout :\ and so many have claimed it works so i finally decided to bandwagon to keep muscle and cut fat

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by donnnnay View Post
    stay at a lower intensity... overtime you will build up a better lung capacity and be able to achieve a longer cardio session without being "exhausted." and does this "new workout" suggest that you run until you cant breathe well?

I wish this were entirely the case, but my sister who is a black belt of many years, still has problems where running and breathing are concerned, still gets well out of breath, but is in extremely excellent shape; not for the want of jogging daily.

As for myself, cycling affects me worse than stepping; it seems the body and lungs acan handle the one better than the other, but there doesn't appear to be a valid reason for that. And outdoors, there is the problem of cold/hot/dry air etc, which affects asthmatics, no matter how much they wish their lungs would keep up with their body...there are lots of variables when it comes to asthma, and building lung capacity. It really isn't always as simple as 'do more' you'll improve; it should be, but it isn't...

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by donnnnay View Post
    also invest in some good running shoes, they will make a huge difference.
    Yeah so true they make a huge difference. If the only reason for not liking running is the way it makes your ankles hurt and you think you have bad form then try a good pair of shoes out. If you want, there are running places where you can custom fit your shoes by the way you run and all that good stuff.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
    I wish this were entirely the case, but my sister who is a black belt of many years, still has problems where running and breathing are concerned, still gets well out of breath, but is in extremely excellent shape; not for the want of jogging daily.

As for myself, cycling affects me worse than stepping; it seems the body and lungs acan handle the one better than the other, but there doesn't appear to be a valid reason for that. And outdoors, there is the problem of cold/hot/dry air etc, which affects asthmatics, no matter how much they wish their lungs would keep up with their body...there are lots of variables when it comes to asthma, and building lung capacity. It really isn't always as simple as 'do more' you'll improve; it should be, but it isn't...
    have you guys gone to the doctor to get your asthma checked out recently? i have rly bad asthma i could literally not breathe even when i wasnt doing anything but never bothered to get it checked out, recently did now im fine i play basketball for hours without wheezing at all

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

i agree and i forgot about the asthma in the initial post. but if you do not have it, after performing more cardio, your body will be able to handle more in the initial stages. i'm not saying that if you run an hour everyday, you'll be able to run at that pace for 3 hours in months. but when doing cardio, typically after "overloading" yourself gradually you'll be able to do more.

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by ARod68759 View Post
    have you guys gone to the doctor to get your asthma checked out recently? i have rly bad asthma i could literally not breathe even when i wasnt doing anything but never bothered to get it checked out, recently did now im fine i play basketball for hours without wheezing at all
    Yeah at 25 I was put on medication, but some sports still affect me more than others, and I have no idea why; it doesn't concern me, I just get off the bike and walk until I can get my breath back, and then get back on; but I do suffer hayfever as well (also medicated) so March to October (grass cutting season) is a nightmare. But, I do what I can, and I refuse to go down without a fight...

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

Yeah at 25 I was put on medication, but some sports still affect me more than others, and I have no idea why; it doesn't concern me, I just get off the bike and walk until I can get my breath back, and then get back on; but I do suffer hayfever as well (also medicated) so March to October (grass cutting season) is a nightmare. But, I do what I can, and I refuse to go down without a fight...
    to mitigate my exercise and allergen-induce astham symptoms, i take prescription allergra, advair, and albuterol before exercising and on days with high ozone. this seems to help me.
    Check out my article page!
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/authors/nick-ludlow

"Like" my Facebook author page for future article updates
    https://www.facebook.com/nickludlow91

Follow my lifting log!
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/forum/threads/76483-LD-s-Journey-to-Beastdom

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

-sigh- well today was my first day running, and i ran for abou 30~35minutes. I couldn't help but to stop to almost a complete halt a few times; i stretched before-hand, i have good running shoes, and i warmed up a bit beforehand. I still was exhausted 5minutes in probably. I guess i'll try to keep doing it to see if my lungs can help, i will also be going to schedule an appointment actually since i haven't had it looked at in forever.

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by linedriver465 View Post
    to mitigate my exercise and allergen-induce astham symptoms, i take prescription allergra, advair, and albuterol before exercising and on days with high ozone. this seems to help me.
    I had to go back to the docs this year for extra help with hayfever, because I could not breath at night, and the inhaler made no difference; so nasal spray is now the order as well, twice a day, to help me breath full-stop, due to hayfever alone; without the asthma kicking in...

...are we all healthy...or what...?

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit

What worked for me is starting out slow. Before I started working out I was wayyyyy overweight. I am 5'10'' 1/2 (almost 5'11'') and I weighed around 305 lbs at my most. I had my "wow" or "snapped into reality" moment about a year and a half ago and started slow. I couldnt run and can't really run right now. But I started with walking for a few days a week, then went to a brisk/faster walk and after a couple months I started jogging. Just to keep from being too bored I switched scenery from the jogging track to the lake and walking paths. i also mixed in the eliptical also. When I first started using the eliptical I couldn't even last 5 mins, but kept pushing myself and soon enough I realized I could use that for an hour if I really wanted to. Now I jog a couple times a week for about 2-3 miles each time... With that said, just wanted to say, don't be afraid to start slow and build endurance. I never imagined myself jogging a mile. My goal for next year is to be able to jog 5 miles... yes shoes are really important.