MEMBER LOGIN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Deadlifts-back day or leg day? Strength training or muscle building?

Deadlifts have always been somewhat of an enigma to me. Should they be done on leg day or back day? Are they simply a strength training exercise or do they also have a place in body building?
    Let me know what you think!

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Tone Up

Default deads

Quote Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
    Deadlifts have always been somewhat of an enigma to me. Should they be done on leg day or back day? Are they simply a strength training exercise or do they also have a place in body building?

I would always do them on back day, on leg day you do squats and usually stiff leg deads. These are taxing on the body so i think its wise to keep another taxing exercise like deads for another day.
    I say deads are 60% back 40% legs-just my feeling. They work alot of muscles i only do them when cutting and trying to preseserve as much muscle as i can, dont do them when bulking. Just me thou-just an opinion Bigjosh! ha ha
    Last edited by deansie26; 12-31-2008 at 02:54 PM.

The Essence of Elegance NicoSuave32's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

I do them on back day because it's more a back exercise and like deansie said squats and stiff leg deadlifts are usually performed on leg day.

as far as bodybuilding goes I am fully bodybuilding no intention to improve my strength at all, if it increases it increases. I still do them because the lower portion of the back is a muscle like all the rest and I wanna have a complete body all the way from the calves to the neck.

also deadlifts strengthen your core making squats easier thus being able to lift more and also improving your internal abs.

also having a lower back like this wouldn't hurt
    Current Weight : 204 lbs
    BF%: N/A Goal: Prepping for show this Saturday Nov. 7th

Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log

Yeah I think I remember another thread mentioning that deadlifts place more emphasis on the back, and stiff-legged deadlifts emphasize the hamstrings more, I think it was EKnight (but I could be mistaken).
    1-Finger Deadlift, 1RM: 80.3lbs/36.5kg

Banned
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by deansie26 View Post
    Just me thou-just an opinion Bigjosh! ha ha
    LOL! Good one! I probably had that coming.

Thanks for the replies!! Keep them coming.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

When I do these I do not feel any pump in my legs, but my lower back muscles are pumped.. my whole back is tired after doing a good series of deadlifts.
    Squat 2.1x BW Squat, 1.75xBW Bench Press, 2.5xBW Deadlift (425/350/500)
    205 lbs @7%

Seasoned M&S Veteran
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

I do them on leg day, always have, always will. A lot of hypertrophy routines do avoid them, they are essential in strength routines however. IMO they are just as important in hypertrophy routines but are avoided cause they are a taxing exercise. However lets be honest, squats are avoided by a lot of people cause they are hard, just like deads. Everyone claims to do squats, every gym I have been too tells me otherwise. I see loads of people on leg day fannying about with machines. The excuse is always the same for why they use the leg press, machine etc, it is always the back can't take squats. IMO its the head and heart that can't take the squats, I know its not the back, cause they stress the back to buggery when cheating on half the other exercises in the gym I watch them cheat on!! With no problem at all, lazy gits
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.
    - Archie Griffen

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Tone Up

Default deads

Quote Originally Posted by oakbark View Post
    I do them on leg day, always have, always will. A lot of hypertrophy routines do avoid them, they are essential in strength routines however. IMO they are just as important in hypertrophy routines but are avoided cause they are a taxing exercise. However lets be honest, squats are avoided by a lot of people cause they are hard, just like deads. Everyone claims to do squats, every gym I have been too tells me otherwise. I see loads of people on leg day fannying about with machines. The excuse is always the same for why they use the leg press, machine etc, it is always the back can't take squats. IMO its the head and heart that can't take the squats, I know its not the back, cause they stress the back to buggery when cheating on half the other exercises in the gym I watch them cheat on!! With no problem at all, lazy gits
    I get what your saying, but do think they are a personal choice in a hypertrophy routine, you can still have a **** hot work out with out dead lifts. Just my opinion thou, and not all dont do them cause were lazy gits lol.
    PS. where does the name "Oakbark" come from? Is a big sounding name if know what i mean :P
    Last edited by deansie26; 12-31-2008 at 08:02 PM.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

thats funny and true. alot of people wont do squats or deadlifts due to these reasons. i only know one guy with a true back problem and wont do either exercise for gains. i personally love deadlifts and the looks on peoples face when i throw up heavy weights on them. i tell you what..deadlifts and squats helped me lose an inch off my waist already. my back feels much stronger too. i see alot of guys in the gym that would much rather have skinny legs and a big upper body than do lower body work. i want big legs and upper body!

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Quote Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
    i've always seen deadlifts as well as squats as a powerlifting thing. Because the deadlift is so taxing to the body and because the back has an upper, middle and lower parts to it and requires many sets to stimulate, you'll have to decide... if you were to do deadlift on back day then you'll have to do 1 or 2 or more other exercises that work mainly the upper and middle and lower back with exercises such as barbell rows, good mornings etc.. which again are also really taxing to the body and a big drain on energy, which would mean that you might not stimulate the back muscles properly because simply...you'll be Knackered!!
    But if you were to do the deadlift on leg day along with squats then again both will be taxing to the body....you must remember that both the squat and deadlift work the same muscle groups and powerlifters would use the same assistance exercises that would help bring up both exercises at the same time and many powerlifters don't do deadlifts every week, sometime every 2 weeks (you could work squat along with assistance stuff and still bring your deadlift up). with all that in mind figure out which would be most taxing to you and on what days you feel you would have enough energy to hit every exercises with max energy,, having deadlifts on leg day or back day
    Hope all that helps big josh
    "If someone told you there was a million dollars under a huge field of rocks how many would you turn over to find it? Louie Simmons

Seasoned M&S Veteran
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

PS. where does the name "Oakbark" come from? Is a big sounding name if know what i mean :P
    Oakbark was picked cause it sounded good. Oaks are big and mighty, bark is tough and hard. I nicked it from A kennel club name for a line of whippets bred by a fella called Nev Newton, that's quite a famous line in the world of showdogs. I got a lot of family members who are involved in showing dogs lol. So what sounds like a tough name for a bodybuilding forum comes from one of the campest pursuits in the world lol.
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.
    - Archie Griffen

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Tone Up

Default nice

Oakbark was picked cause it sounded good. Oaks are big and mighty, bark is tough and hard. I nicked it from A kennel club name for a line of whippets bred by a fella called Nev Newton, that's quite a famous line in the world of showdogs. I got a lot of family members who are involved in showing dogs lol. So what sounds like a tough name for a bodybuilding forum comes from one of the campest pursuits in the world lol.
    priceless!

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I get what your saying, but do think they are a personal choice in a hypertrophy routine, you can still have a **** hot work out with out dead lifts. Just my opinion thou, and not all dont do them cause were lazy gits lol.
    Personally I advise clients on not performing deadlifts in a growth training phase, my reasoning is that deadlifts use back, quads, hamstrings, glutes, calves, traps, Some of these muscles you would be resting in a growth routine, depending on your training split. I only advise performing deadlifts in the strength phase of a periodization routine.
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

I am rather tired of doing 45 degree leg press.. I want to do my squats, then deadlifts afterwards instead of leg press.. good idea?
    Squat 2.1x BW Squat, 1.75xBW Bench Press, 2.5xBW Deadlift (425/350/500)
    205 lbs @7%

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme666 View Post
    I am rather tired of doing 45 degree leg press.. I want to do my squats, then deadlifts afterwards instead of leg press.. good idea?
    What about hack squats..??
    Doug

Seasoned M&S Veteran
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    What about hack squats..??
    A great exercise if you can hold form and are prepared to lift heavy weight. The stupid thing I find about Hacks is that people lift it with bad form, not cause of weight, but because they don't think about the way the are doing it. The principles are simple, if you can lift properly with the dead you can with the Hacks, but for some reason people are scared of Hacks. They also seem scared of shifting heavy weight with, I have no idea why, cause its a simple common sense lift, and you wont get injured if you go to heavy with proper form, you just wont move the weight!
    - Archie Griffen

The Essence of Elegance NicoSuave32's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Personally I advise clients on not performing deadlifts in a growth training phase, my reasoning is that deadlifts use back, quads, hamstrings, glutes, calves, traps, Some of these muscles you would be resting in a growth routine, depending on your training split. I only advise performing deadlifts in the strength phase of a periodization routine.
    I understand what you're saying but I thought about what you said and with your thinking then someone in a growth phase shouldn't perform squats then because they work 250+ muscles and if you're doing squats on quad, ham, and butt day then your other muscles won't have a proper rest.

correct me if I'm wrong Doug
    Last edited by NicoSuave32; 01-02-2009 at 07:59 PM.
    Current Weight : 204 lbs
    BF%: N/A Goal: Prepping for show this Saturday Nov. 7th

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

A great exercise if you can hold form and are prepared to lift heavy weight. The stupid thing I find about Hacks is that people lift it with bad form, not cause of weight, but because they don't think about the way the are doing it. The principles are simple, if you can lift properly with the dead you can with the Hacks, but for some reason people are scared of Hacks. They also seem scared of shifting heavy weight with, I have no idea why, cause its a simple common sense lift, and you wont get injured if you go to heavy with proper form, you just wont move the weight!
    You must be training in the wrong gym....
    Doug

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by NicoSuave32 View Post
    I understand what you're saying but I though about what you said and with your thinking then someone in a growth phase shouldn't perform squats then because they work 250+ muscles and if you're doing squats on quad, ham, and butt day then your other muscles won't have a proper rest.

correct me if I'm wrong Doug
    I gave my reasoning in my post above. I only advise deadlifts in a strength or power phase of a periodization routine....
    Doug

Seasoned M&S Veteran
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

You must be training in the wrong gym....
    haha I reckon your right, I really don't know what could simpler than getting this lift right, but still people cant.
    - Archie Griffen

Banned
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Some really good info here, boys!!!! Seems that there are definetly different sides to the argument!!!!

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I had actually never heard the argument for not doing deadlifts while bulking. I've always seen them praised as huge muscle-packers in fact!

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I've always done them on back day and I still do them when trying to gain muscle. In my opinion it is the best exercise out there for strength and functionality.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Training Log

Deadlifts on Back Day.

For hypertrophy, some bodybuilders will do rack pulls instead as you can go heavier
    Lift, Eat, Rest, Grow. Repeat

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

Deadlifts = All of the above!