MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      More Strength

Default Upcoming Fight - Muay Thai

Hi guys, I posted a thread up here last year sometime in regaurds to weight training for mma and muay thai and found the input very very useful.

I have an upcoming muay thai match in about 3 months. Its my first muay thai fight (kinda lol) well its the one that starts my fight record. Ive had a few bouts in the ring in front of small crowds but these were friendly matches in the sense that they were just confidence builders.

Im 18 and 5 foot 7.5 and weigh about 74-75 kilos..keep in mind most of this is muscle but there is a lil fat thats in added on from lack of training over the christmas period lol.

I train 3 days a week sometimes 4 depending on how busy i am. Training goes from 4 til 7 30. Muay Thai, Boxing and BJJ.

I need to get my fitness back up there and get my muscles working agian lol.

Any advice you guys could give me as to cardio AND weights would be appreicated. Also when would the best time be to do cardio and weights, cardio one day weights the next or both on the same day as fight training and rest the next day etc.

So yeah any advice you guys can give me would be great. Want to know anything more feel free to ask. Thanks

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Talk to your trainer about it people can give you advice but at the end of the day only your trainer will no wht works best for u and how to get u as sharp as possible all as id say is no heavy cardio or workouts a week before the fight that time is preparation and kental preperation time
    96 Never Forgotten
    Youll Never Walk Alone
    When you feel like giving up, remember why you kept on for so long

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit

now I'm no expert and don't claim to be one. But if you want to kick some real ass I would bump up your anaerobic conditioning. HIIT, bar circuits, hill runs, heavy bag work… all that good stuff. Mixed with a strength building weight Routine. At least that’s what I would do
    Also watch out for gaining too much, you dont want to be overweight.
    Side effects may include; weight gain, increased appetite, increased sex appeal, huge arms, massive strength, XXL t-shirts, self confidence, low fat diet, sexy pectorals, sheer ballsiness, and penile growth. If muscle growth persists for more then four hours, consult a mirror.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Other

Unless you are a beast, MMA takes more skill and cardio than strength. I assume that you are training full length rounds in practice and taking the cardio up an extra notch.
    I went against several opponents that I could out-muscle,,,,, but not outlast. Unfortunately a few could take it longer than I could dish it out.
    Never underestimate cardio/endurance in MMA.

Lift

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      More Strength

thanks for all the tips guys.

Thing is my instructor is great for teaching technique and working me hard and pushing me to my limit during training. But he hasnt trained many fighters for competition as our academy is more based around street fighting if that makes sense. So when it comes to fitness outside of the training itself and conditioning etc i think hes a lil new to it. I think i have alot more skill and fighting experience than most dudes that have been ring fighting for ages (im not trying to float my own boat btw). This will hopefully serve me well in the ring

I'l have a talk with my trainer and see try work something out with him thanks again everyone

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Other

Skill rules,,,, but without endurance it often isn't enough. I have been fortunate enough to judge many MMA fights at both the amateur and professional level and have seen fighters with superior skills lose to fighters with superior conditioning (got to take em out early if you lack wind).
    Train full length rounds, kick up the cardio. You may be successful without it, but never underestimate it.

Lift

Lady Lake CrossFit Owner bbaker352's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit

High Intensity interval training. In this world, if you want to get bigger you just have to eat more... you can not jeapordize your cardio under resistance for muscle! You can be as big as you want to be, but the more muscle you have the better cardio shape you better be in! I have 3 hours off today. If I dont fall a freakin sleep, I'll write you a routine you can follow that will help you a little.
    Bryan
    "You will learn by the numbers. I will teach you!"

Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log

I read, somewhere, that if you intend doing a sport that has set timed rounds in it, that interval training should last for as long as a round within the chosen sport; so a 3-minute round would be, high intensity, low intensity...continued for 3 minutes and then take a break and start all over again. The intervals 'cos they only last like 3 minutes at most should be comprised of really short all out bursts with a slightly shorter recovery interval. So 15 secs high, 10 secs low, and continue for the 3 minutes, then breath ( and ease off) for a minute, then go at it again. It's supposed to get the body prepared for the timed rounds, but it's best to train for a slightly longer round, so that the body doesn't give up the ghost 3/4 the way through a round during a bout.
    1-Finger Deadlift, 1RM: 80.3lbs/36.5kg

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      More Strength

Yeah thats true, I know some really big heavy set dudes with good skills that have lost to smaller guys and less technical guys because they lacked the conditioning to go the distance. I definetly want to crank up the cardio and get my fitness back to where it was.

And Bryan that would be awesome .. Its kool if you cant but yeah if you wanted to id definetly appreciate it heaps.

I think alot of hard sparring would be a good idea (which we do at training anyway) caus i find that I can do heaps and heaps of cardio but nothing really wears you down as much as auctually fighting with someone. Anyone agree?

Thanks again guys looking forward to hearing more lol

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Other

superset olympic lifts... just for lols.... and death
    Lifts: (pre-shoulder surgery 24/7)

180kg/396lb Back Squat
    210kg/462lb Deadlift
    150kg Front Squat
    100kg Push Press
    100kg Clean
    85kg Snatch
    40kg DB Chest Press for 3x12
    600kgx5 45 degree Leg press
    24kg for 10 reps Ultra Strict Seated DB Curls (been working these hard for lols)

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Bud you still need strength I used to do kickboxing and my skills were top notch due to the time I trained and doing tang Soo do prior to kickboxing my fitness was great! But I had no strength to put the power down hence why I started weight training but now I've left the kickboxing and just train at the gym but downside now is lack of fitness and about 16% body fat ... I weight and am similar height to you btw

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Quote Originally Posted by Dimtriov89 View Post
    I think alot of hard sparring would be a good idea (which we do at training anyway) caus i find that I can do heaps and heaps of cardio but nothing really wears you down as much as auctually fighting with someone. Anyone agree?
    This is the best idea. When I first started kickboxing years back I was already in relatively good condition, and I remember being amazed by how 2 minute rounds of sparring could totally gas me. It's a different kind of fitness, and it's also about learning exactly how much you've got in the tank and being smart with how much energy you're using. Get as much sparring in as possible.

I personally love weight training, but it isn't essential. Most of the guys I kickbox with don't do it, including my trainer who competes internationally (he just won a WAKO championship a few months back despite being pretty old now for a fighter). It really is personal preference. But the guy who said don't do any intense training a week before the fight is bang on the money, it would be a disaster to go into a fight with even slight lingering DOMS.