MEMBER LOGIN

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Boxing

  1. #1
    Moderator Scrutiny's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Oct 2008
    • Posts
      14,532
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Australia
    • Reputation
      272,874,312
    • Rep Power
      2,728,827

    Default Boxing

    I have started doing some boxing a few times per week with a mate who is training me up. One thing i realised is my stamina isnt the 'best
    I am bulking at the moment aiming for plenty of size, but at the same time surely i can keep the boxing going even 1-2 times per week? Not massive sessions, just sessions of 30-40mins of a bit of sparring, padwork, etc. To get my form right and learn some self defence.

    Sound good?
    Consistency is the key

  2. #2
    M&S Elite Member aussie29's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Sep 2008
    • Posts
      1,028
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Australia
    • Reputation
      14,704,328
    • Rep Power
      147,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrutiny View Post
    I have started doing some boxing a few times per week with a mate who is training me up. One thing i realised is my stamina isnt the 'best
    I am bulking at the moment aiming for plenty of size, but at the same time surely i can keep the boxing going even 1-2 times per week? Not massive sessions, just sessions of 30-40mins of a bit of sparring, padwork, etc. To get my form right and learn some self defence.

    Sound good?
    boxing eats many calories so be sure you get your calories you need every day!
    2 times a week is good !
    GOING THE DISTANCE !!

  3. #3
    Moderator Scrutiny's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Oct 2008
    • Posts
      14,532
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Australia
    • Reputation
      272,874,312
    • Rep Power
      2,728,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aussie29 View Post
    boxing eats many calories so be sure you get your calories you need every day!
    2 times a week is good !
    Yeah sure thing with the food, Yeah so twice a week shouldnt be a problem with the recovery factors etc?

    Just the padwork, Getting to learn the moves, some sparring, its been fun!
    Consistency is the key

  4. #4
    Seasoned M&S Veteran
    • Join Date
      Nov 2007
    • Posts
      2,411
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Indonesia
    • Reputation
      28,289,901
    • Rep Power
      282,923

    Default

    First, what the hell is 'padwork'?

    Second, you can bulk so long as you accurately calculate the amount of calories you burn per session and maintain a surplus of 500 calories per day in your diet.

    Third, do a search on boxing and read the information I have already put out on here to others about training for this sport. Cheers and godspeed mate.
    We have the technology, we can rebuild him, make him faster, stronger, better than before...

  5. #5
    Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Aug 2008
    • Posts
      20,733
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Gender
      Female
    • Location
      Orkney Islands
    • Training Log
    • Reputation
      1,283,917,595
    • Rep Power
      12,839,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Expat68 View Post
    First, what the hell is 'padwork'?

    Second, you can bulk so long as you accurately calculate the amount of calories you burn per session and maintain a surplus of 500 calories per day in your diet.

    Third, do a search on boxing and read the information I have already put out on here to others about training for this sport. Cheers and godspeed mate.
    Wouldn't that be the pads that are held by a trainer and moved around for the practice of low jabs, high jabs (upper cuts ??) etc...other than that it wouold be bagwork, unless it was martial arts which do use large body pads for practice...but I think it's the former.

    PS: Expat, do they ever use the Rocky technique of tying the feet together, like Micky did in the film? Just wondered, since sometimes these things are based on fact...
    1-Finger Deadlift, 1RM: 80.3lbs/36.5kg

  6. #6
    M&S Power User bucko91's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jun 2007
    • Posts
      1,567
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Liverpool
    • Reputation
      16,528,620
    • Rep Power
      165,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Expat68 View Post
    First, what the hell is 'padwork'?
    Catching punches mate haha

    and tying feet together i had that done to me becos my trainer said my feet wer like flippers with a mind of there own. works ok just takes awhile ot get used to it
    96 Never Forgotten
    Youll Never Walk Alone
    When you feel like giving up, remember why you kept on for so long

  7. #7
    M&S Power User ARod68759's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Aug 2008
    • Posts
      1,892
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Texas
    • Reputation
      4,865,990
    • Rep Power
      48,680

    Default

    lol i still have 2 really old pads from years ago when i took tae kwon do as a kid

  8. #8
    Moderator Scrutiny's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Oct 2008
    • Posts
      14,532
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Australia
    • Reputation
      272,874,312
    • Rep Power
      2,728,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Expat68 View Post
    First, what the hell is 'padwork'?

    Second, you can bulk so long as you accurately calculate the amount of calories you burn per session and maintain a surplus of 500 calories per day in your diet.

    Third, do a search on boxing and read the information I have already put out on here to others about training for this sport. Cheers and godspeed mate.
    Padwork as in my trainer holding the two pads, while i have the gloves, Hitting the pads.
    I'll do some heavy bag work only when i can get to his place, otherwise its the work with the pads. At the moment only 1-2 times per week with the boxing.
    Yeah i'll go search around for some more things on the boxing
    Yeah i'll keep the calorie surplus going strong.
    And 5k thats exactly it.
    Thanks!
    Consistency is the key

  9. #9
    M&S Power User bucko91's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jun 2007
    • Posts
      1,567
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Liverpool
    • Reputation
      16,528,620
    • Rep Power
      165,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrutiny View Post
    Padwork as in my trainer holding the two pads, while i have the gloves, Hitting the pads.
    I'll do some heavy bag work only when i can get to his place, otherwise its the work with the pads. At the moment only 1-2 times per week with the boxing.
    Yeah i'll go search around for some more things on the boxing
    Yeah i'll keep the calorie surplus going strong.
    And 5k thats exactly it.
    Thanks!
    Mate are you doin boxing as just a way for general health and practise a few punches here and there and how "qualified" is you mate at boxing and by that i mean how much experiance has he got becos if he teaches you the rong technique its not going to do much good for you in the long run.
    But if you want to take it as a sport or learn it as a way of self-defence id highly suggest finding a local gym and going there the 1-2 times a week instead
    96 Never Forgotten
    Youll Never Walk Alone
    When you feel like giving up, remember why you kept on for so long

  10. #10
    Seasoned M&S Veteran Rex187's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Nov 2008
    • Posts
      2,195
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      wisconsin
    • Reputation
      747
    • Rep Power
      28

    Default

    yeah it will be hard to get speed and stamina while bulking cause it will be hard to keep up with the calories condsiedring the amount of cardio involved with any type of fighting sport
    Carry your sheild or go home on it

    Always do what your afraid to do.

  11. #11
    Moderator Scrutiny's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Oct 2008
    • Posts
      14,532
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Australia
    • Reputation
      272,874,312
    • Rep Power
      2,728,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bucko91 View Post
    Mate are you doin boxing as just a way for general health and practise a few punches here and there and how "qualified" is you mate at boxing and by that i mean how much experiance has he got becos if he teaches you the rong technique its not going to do much good for you in the long run.
    But if you want to take it as a sport or learn it as a way of self-defence id highly suggest finding a local gym and going there the 1-2 times a week instead
    Yeah just doing it for self defence pretty much, So if some random trys to start on me i can at least throw a few things.
    Hes got 4-5 years exp with it, he competes in fights too.
    I understand that with bulking it may be a bit hard, but thats just what is happening at the moment.

    I find it easier with him, as i know him personally, and some days i can make it and some days i cannot due to schoolwork/training, etc etc.
    Hes got all the gear too which is good.
    Yeah he is teaching me how to punch correctly, One thing i notice is my shoulders don't have that endurance and flexibility, as i've been doing heavy weight training for a while.
    And also its for free, no charge, as he loves teaching it
    Consistency is the key

  12. #12
    M&S Power User bucko91's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jun 2007
    • Posts
      1,567
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Liverpool
    • Reputation
      16,528,620
    • Rep Power
      165,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrutiny View Post
    Yeah just doing it for self defence pretty much, So if some random trys to start on me i can at least throw a few things.
    Hes got 4-5 years exp with it, he competes in fights too.
    I understand that with bulking it may be a bit hard, but thats just what is happening at the moment.

    I find it easier with him, as i know him personally, and some days i can make it and some days i cannot due to schoolwork/training, etc etc.
    Hes got all the gear too which is good.
    Yeah he is teaching me how to punch correctly, One thing i notice is my shoulders don't have that endurance and flexibility, as i've been doing heavy weight training for a while.
    And also its for free, no charge, as he loves teaching it
    All good then just rememberto keep your hand wrapped when hitting anything wraps are more important than the actual glove in my eyes when training
    96 Never Forgotten
    Youll Never Walk Alone
    When you feel like giving up, remember why you kept on for so long

  13. #13
    Seasoned M&S Veteran
    • Join Date
      Nov 2007
    • Posts
      2,411
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Indonesia
    • Reputation
      28,289,901
    • Rep Power
      282,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bucko91 View Post
    Catching punches mate haha

    and tying feet together i had that done to me becos my trainer said my feet wer like flippers with a mind of there own. works ok just takes awhile ot get used to it
    Ok, I don't call that 'padwork', they are called focus mitts. So its called mittwork in my gym.

    5kg, I never tie the feet like in Rocky. I do something entirely different. The biggest problem people have is getting their feet too close together.

    First I have lines on the floor and a mirror so the boxers can look ahead like they are supposed to and still keep an eye on their legwork. If this doesn't correct it I use a piece of pvc pipe cut to the length that is equal to the distance they should maintain between their feet and tie this to their ankles. With a bit of slack for movement but it works a charm.

    Bucko is right about wraps being MEGAimportant.

    Scrutiny, you need to change your workout if you want to build endurance. If you lift for hypertrophy do not expect 1-2 a week mucking about with your mate to build any endurance.
    We have the technology, we can rebuild him, make him faster, stronger, better than before...

  14. #14
    Moderator Scrutiny's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Oct 2008
    • Posts
      14,532
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Australia
    • Reputation
      272,874,312
    • Rep Power
      2,728,827

    Default

    Ahh Sweet, so focus mitts, sounds good..
    Yeah we'll use those wrist straps, when we were sparring at the end of the session i threw a punch and it didnt feel too good on the wrists, but easily fixed.

    Im not aiming for endurance at the moment, Just wanting to learn the self defence, im by no means competing or doing flat out work. I think if i am keen on going further with it i'll change up my routine, and by adding more sessions per week when i decide to get off the bulk.
    Consistency is the key

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. First Day (Boxing)
    By Nyghtbringer in forum General Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-14-2010, 08:29 AM
  2. Boxing
    By rony in forum Boxing/MMA Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-07-2009, 11:03 AM
  3. Boxing
    By rony in forum For Your Sport
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-07-2009, 11:03 AM
  4. boxing
    By Brocko in forum Boxing/MMA Training
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-29-2009, 10:54 AM
  5. Boxing
    By iforwms in forum For Your Sport
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-11-2007, 04:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •