MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default How do you balance your workout life and social life?

While I have found weight-lifting to be an enjoyable activity at the same time, I am only 21 and want to enjoy life at this age. I find myself not able to propely balance my social life between friends/events and going to gym, adherring to my diet, and sleep patterns. I know that some sacrifices have to be made but I just don't want to live for going to school, going to the gym, and going to the grocery store.

How do you guys do it?

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

I tell my friends "come to the gym with me, then we can hang out" or "ill work out, then i can go chill"

when its girls.. i just work out, then ask to hang out because theres no way im going to let he coherse me into skipping the gym.. unless she is offering herself to me..
    Squat 2.1x BW Squat, 1.75xBW Bench Press, 2.5xBW Deadlift (425/350/500)
    205 lbs @7%

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Ectoblues View Post
    While I have found weight-lifting to be an enjoyable activity at the same time, I am only 21 and want to enjoy life at this age. I find myself not able to propely balance my social life between friends/events and going to gym, adherring to my diet, and sleep patterns. I know that some sacrifices have to be made but I just don't want to live for going to school, going to the gym, and going to the grocery store.

How do you guys do it?
    Once you are "seriously" into the gym, your circle of friends become like minded gym people. It will only be a few more years and you will find that your friends at the moment will be pairing off with partners, or getting married, or living together, your current lifestlye will change dramatically
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

yeah its all about discipline and what level of fitness you want to be at. but for me i have only 1 day a week to hang with buds thats how i do it
    Carry your sheild or go home on it

Always do what your afraid to do.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Once you are "seriously" into the gym, your circle of friends become like minded gym people. It will only be a few more years and you will find that your friends at the moment will be pairing off with partners, or getting married, or living together, your current lifestlye will change dramatically
    So true, you gotta assess the people you are around & if they can't accept that you have your goals, then sad to say its time to find a new crowd, really depends on what you want to do & I don't know if you are ok with social events slowing your progress with your current friends, but I wouldn't let it happen, be around people that are like minded & understand your lifestyle.
    HEY! Do You Need a Great Ab Workout? Try My Personal Routine its Like Doing Crunches in an ELECTRICAL STORM!!! Your Abs Will be Made of Lightning !!!REAL LIGHTNING!!!
    Or Maybe You Seek More Knowledge? Check in & Post Regularly & Eventually You'll be as Smart as DOUG! You'll Type as Fast as DOUG! Members Will See Your Rep & Post Count & Think You are DOUG! You'll Have Debates in Threads With the Actual DOUG! Until the Time Comes That we Get sick of You & Deport you Back to !!!DOUGLAND!!!
    Remember Here at Muscle & Strength We are 100% NATURAL!!! So if You Want to Discuss illegal & Banned Substances We Will All Say F@$K YOU! and Kick You in the Face With our !!!ENERGY LEGS!!!

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by DannyDspec View Post
    So true, you gotta assess the people you are around & if they can't accept that you have your goals, then sad to say its time to find a new crowd, really depends on what you want to do & I don't know if you are ok with social events slowing your progress with your current friends, but I wouldn't let it happen, be around people that are like minded & understand your lifestyle.
    Yes, this.
    205 lbs @7%

• Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

i dont have a social life

jk

just pretend it's like school and important!

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

I know where you're coming from mate. Im in my first year of University, and finding it hard, and to be honest I have slacked off the gym massivley. I got back into it for a month, but now im getting lazy again. I play Football 3 times a week, study 3 subjects and keep up with the drinking habits of my mates. Working out, although I love it, has to take a back seat, because I prefer the other things.

At the end of the day mate, its about priorities, if working out is your number 1, then you will just have to see your friends less.

• Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by rick_pne View Post
    I know where you're coming from mate. Im in my first year of University, and finding it hard, and to be honest I have slacked off the gym massivley. I got back into it for a month, but now im getting lazy again. I play Football 3 times a week, study 3 subjects and keep up with the drinking habits of my mates. Working out, although I love it, has to take a back seat, because I prefer the other things.

At the end of the day mate, its about priorities, if working out is your number 1, then you will just have to see your friends less.
    drop the bottle of rum sir!

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Obviously i enjoy working out and keeping fit, but i also enjoy going out with my friends.

I try to balance them and usually only go out drinking once every week or 2.
    **30 day no fap challenge** Join me brothers!

muscleandstrength.com/forum/general-chat/68685-does-no-fap-work.html

I train to be an athlete not a bodybuilder

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by rick_pne View Post

You could do a 3 day/week strength routine for football.

The way I see it, if my friend's cant wait 2 hours after school for me to get my workout done and get a meal.. then they can wait for another day to hang out.
    205 lbs @7%

Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log

I do apnea in the morning, right after I wake up, then study until it's time to exercise, since I'm doing 4 subjects at Uni...and I take Sunday off, and Thursday evenings. But, since lectures have to be attended, and appointments for medical reasons etc, they are fitted in whenever they occur and the 'timetable' shifts to accommodate these things; if exercise/study plans get dropped once in a while then they do.

You have to have a base/adaptable plan, otherwise nothing works...and if you want time with your friends, then just set a certain period in the week, fortnight etc, aside and meet up then.

But remember, once people get their own lives, everyone drifts apart eventually, and if you hang around with your mates just because they want you to, don't be surprised when they suddenly drop you to do something they decide upon in the future; girlfriends, careers, weight lifting etc...it normally is the case. It's all about deciding what you want, and if that is to hang around with friends from time to time, then just allocate the time into your schedule somewhere, it can be done.
    Last edited by 5kgLifter; 02-15-2009 at 02:14 PM. Reason: spelling
    1-Finger Deadlift, 1RM: 80.3lbs/36.5kg

M&S Elite Member
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Quote Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
    But remember, once people get their own lives, everyone drifts apart eventually, and if you hang around with your mates just because they want you to, don't be surprised when they sudden;y drop you to do something they decide upon in the future; girlfriends, careers, weight lifting etc...it normally is the case. It's all about deciding what you want, and if that is to hang around with friends from time to time, then just allocate the time into your schedule somewhere, it can be done.
    I back this 100%. I'm only four years removed from high school and I only have maybe two or three close friends that I see regularly one of which is my gym partner.

The Essence of Elegance NicoSuave32's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme666 View Post
    You could do a 3 day/week strength routine for football.

The way I see it, if my friend's cant wait 2 hours after school for me to get my workout done and get a meal.. then they can wait for another day to hang out.
    exactly how I see it and some of those friends won't always be you're friends, but your muscles will.
    Current Weight : 204 lbs
    BF%: N/A Goal: Prepping for show this Saturday Nov. 7th

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Other

There are more things in life than just working out. Take it from me who lived, breathed, ate and drank bodybuilding once upon a time. I'm also a party animal but I make sure not to drink and party with my buddies more than once a week.

Now I hang out, drink and party with my friends maybe once a month. It doesn't matter whether we're married or not or single or not.

Think of a night out with your buddies or girlfriends and partying and drinking once a week or once every two weeks similar as to having a cheat day once a week or so. Not having a social life is very unhealthy.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

weekends?

im on a 5 day split right now and im only spending 45-1hour 15mins in the gym. They can wait. If not they arent your friends. For girls.. i have a girlfriend and she enjoys going to the gym with me. I like that hahaha
    "The worst thing I could be is just like everyone else."- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Age- 16/Ht-5'10/Wt- 205lbs/Bf- 10.4%/Bench-385lbs/Squat-405lbs :]
    Work hard,Sacrifice everything, Keep looking up

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit

honestly, it is easier to balance a social life with lifting than it was when I was a gigging musician.
    Fahrenheit Forum Rep
    Web: FNutrition.com Twitter: @Fahrenheitnutri
    2012:The Recomp Begins - Steve Reeves Classic Full Body Workout & The Lean Gains / IF

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal

How do you guys do it?
    I don't do it very well. Ugh, I've got to cut out the booze and late nights.
    "For me life is continuously being hungry. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer."
    - Arnold Schwarzenegger

• Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Get Huge

How do you guys do it?
    I have a wife and 2 sons. If I can do it. You can do it. I could only imagine how big I would be if I didn't have any of the above. I could really start a good routine. You have to want it.
    You're the only one holding you back.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Other

To drink and party is a way to celebrate life. Do it sparingly and don't obsessed on bodybuilding and you'll live a more fulfilling life in the end.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

How do you guys do it?

The way I do it.....work out really early in the morning.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I gotta agree with this 100%, I made friends at the gym and now it's just a big support group.