MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Night workouts Vs Day workouts

Hello there to everyone, this is my very first post here. Im wondering if I should switch up my workouts from morning (8am) to nights sometime before my last meal (about 8pm) this concern is for the state which your body eats the muscle due to hunger. Also Im hoping if someone can help me with my next question, would it be ok to eat protien bars between breakfast and lunch, and from lunch to din din?

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Quote Originally Posted by Liftedfordguy View Post
    Hello there to everyone, this is my very first post here. Im wondering if I should switch up my workouts from morning (8am) to nights sometime before my last meal (about 8pm) this concern is for the state which your body eats the muscle due to hunger.
    It is preferable to do resistance training in the evenings after the body has ingested several well-blanced, nutritious, and hopefully delicious meals.

Also Im hoping if someone can help me with my next question, would it be ok to eat protien bars between breakfast and lunch, and from lunch to din din?
    It depends on your goals, and the rest of your diet.
    WyomIAN

"'We're only human' is our excuse to say we're not in control over our actions; prefering to blame some 'natural process' for our own self-indulgence in personal gain." -- Subhumans
    _______________________ _________ ________ _______ ______ _____ ____ ___ __ _

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Hello there to everyone, this is my very first post here. Im wondering if I should switch up my workouts from morning (8am) to nights sometime before my last meal (about 8pm) this concern is for the state which your body eats the muscle due to hunger. Also Im hoping if someone can help me with my next question, would it be ok to eat protien bars between breakfast and lunch, and from lunch to din din?
    Hi mate, In the end its up to you when you want to workout, Later in the day is preferred as you have more energy from the food taken in throughout the day. I personally wouldn't workout early in the morning, as you have been asleep the whole night without any food for energy for your workout. My opinion is to stick to PM times for working out, as in the end you will have that extra energy boost from the foods, plus you won't be feeling so shaggy after a good nights sleep!

Remember, its up to you when you want to train, Just my 2 cents ^^
    Consistency is the key

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Other

you need at least 2 meals before you workout, so if you can...workout at night, good luck
    The 2nd Amendment.... A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
    June 2012 Log of the Month

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Other

It's all arguable and depends on different factors.

Work out when you feel you will give it 100% and take it seriously.
    If you are pushing yourself in to the gym, no matter what time of day, it's not going to result in a lot of positives.
    Stress is a BIG factor, and if your day is a high stress work day, you may not want to push yourself in to a work out...it's juts another form of stress.

I do agree that you must have something in the form of nourishment to fuel yourself.
    May not have to be all day of eating or even two meals....you will need to judge for yourself.

I have read about people being cautioned on working out within the first hour of waking as the spine has fluid collection around the disks and you need to let this drain, or you may open yourself to injury.
    Failure to Plan is Planning to Fail
    What's your plan?
    Yes, I am a Moderator

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I like to work out in the morning, because I have a somewhat physical job. At the end of the day im kinda spent. I always have more energy in the am. Not sayin thats right, just works for me.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

SWEET! thanks for all the input...Say I do start my workouts at night, how late should I eat my last meal?

WyomIAN : My regular diet is oatmeal, 4 hard boiled eggs, and a nice tall glass of ice cold milk for the am breakfast. Lunch - I'll BBQ some chicken and have a cup of pasta salad or go to chipolte and have a chicken bowl with black beans, no rice. Dinner - I switch it up with steak and fish most of the week. So would protien bars be alright inbetween my meals?

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Other

SWEET! thanks for all the input...Say I do start my workouts at night, how late should I eat my last meal?
    I'd guess about 2-3 hours before bed.

WyomIAN : My regular diet is oatmeal, 4 hard boiled eggs, and a nice tall glass of ice cold milk for the am breakfast. Lunch - I'll BBQ some chicken and have a cup of pasta salad or go to chipolte and have a chicken bowl with black beans, no rice. Dinner - I switch it up with steak and fish most of the week. So would protien bars be alright inbetween my meals?
    The answer to this really depends on the nutritional makeup (calories, protein, carbs, fats, etc) of the foods you're eating (including the protein bars), and your diet goals (total calories and PCF ratio).
    WyomIAN

"'We're only human' is our excuse to say we're not in control over our actions; prefering to blame some 'natural process' for our own self-indulgence in personal gain." -- Subhumans

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

damn, then I would have to work out around 7 or 8 to go to bed by 10 or 11. Wouldnt be a good idea to go to sleep right after workout with no food im my belly huh? what would you suggest one would have for dinner at 8 or 9pm after workout?

all that counting carbs, protiens, fats, calories is just to much for me, I just like to eat healthy small porcens with snacks throughout the day

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Other

damn, then I would have to work out around 7 or 8 to go to bed by 10 or 11. Wouldnt be a good idea to go to sleep right after workout with no food im my belly huh? what would you suggest one would have for dinner at 8 or 9pm after workout?

all that counting carbs, protiens, fats, calories is just to much for me, I just like to eat healthy small porcens with snacks throughout the day
    Personally, I find it difficult to sleep any sooner than about three hours after working out. YMMV.

It seems important to have a well-balanced meal (corresponding to your target PCF ratio and caloric intake goals) about an hour after resistance training.
    WyomIAN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I like a good 2 hour workout, so If i go in at 7 done at 9, eat dinner and wait 3 hours to go to bed, my kids waking me up at 6am. That just seem very exhuasting ya know. Thats why Ive been doing mornings but I alittle worried about me eating muscle away while I sleep. Could I eat in the am before I hit the gym to get the fuel I need for engery? if so how early should I eat if I go to the gym at 830.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Other

I like a good 2 hour workout, so If i go in at 7 done at 9, eat dinner and wait 3 hours to go to bed, my kids waking me up at 6am. That just seem very exhuasting ya know. Thats why Ive been doing mornings but I alittle worried about me eating muscle away while I sleep. Could I eat in the am before I hit the gym to get the fuel I need for engery? if so how early should I eat if I go to the gym at 830.
    Yeah, you should definitely not be working out on an empty stomach after having slept all night. I have seen others around here talk about working out in the mornings, so they'll be better equipped to provide a schedule that makes sense. Off the top of my head, I guess I might do something like this, but would want to get input from the more knowledgeable members first:

5:00am: Wake 'N Shake... take 20g whey protein with water
    5:30am: Breakfast
    7:30am: Workout
    8:30am: PWO shake, shower, and off to work

This is off course assuming you're not cutting and doing PWO cardio. I forget what your goals are. Anyway, you get the idea.

Also, it's not a bad a bad idea to take in some slow digesting stuff right before bed (casein protein, milk, etc.) to supply nutrients during the overnight fast.
    WyomIAN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Not sure what PWO is..sorry....Iam not doing alot of cardio maybe 3-5 miles a week. My goals are to pack on some muscle, be strong and look good. Im 5'11 175 I would like to stay under 200 though. What would you recomend for my breakfast at 5:30am before the gym? I really appreciate your input, thank you so much!

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Post Work Out - he was referring to cardio after your weights.

Eggs are always good for breakfast and wholemeal bread.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Thanks, no I am not doing any cardio after weights, should I ?

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Thanks, no I am not doing any cardio after weights, should I ?
    Only if you are trying to lose weight (cut fat) instead of grow muscle (bulk).
    WyomIAN