MEMBER LOGIN

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Default Basics to Boxing

Just thought id do a first post on boxing since its what i no best im sure expat and other boxers will have more imput and advice to put in but i thought id start of with the basics..

HANDWRAPS
    Handwraps help protect the bones and tendons in your hands, Also they will help support your wrist and thumb therefore preventing basic hand injurys mainly due from wrist bending when hitting bag or oppenent.

There are many differnt types such as traditional cotton herringbone wraps, elasticized wraps(Mexican wraps), and gauze bandage hand wraps. also you can now purchase gel wraps whereas there is a layer of gel over the knuckle area and are sort of an underglove

Gloves

Boxing gloves come in many different sizes, colours and materials the main use of gloves origionally was to reduce the chance of serious injury to the athlete or fighters face but now have changed to suit teh job needed such as speed mitts to lace up gloves to velcro straps.

Choosing the right glove is important and wearing a glove that fits you and is not worn is imperitive for the sake of your hands and your oppenent. gloves generally range from 10oz to 16oz, the latter mainly used for sparring purposes and the former for competition but sizes inbetween can be found for bag work and Mitts/Pads.

Gloves are usually made of leather due to the material lasting longer even tho usually cost more they are for the majority a better selection.

Boots/Footware
    Boxing footware can come in different colours and styles ranging from hi-top to low-top but all in all the main idea is to give the boxer a more fluid movement over the canvas with as much grip as possible while not impeding movement. Boxing boots are generally made of lightweight material

Head guard
    There a a few different style head guards such as full face or half face the former having extra pads on the cheeks as apposed to the full face being on view. The idea of a headguard is basically to stop any major head damage or severe concussion normally made from Leather with latex padding used in sparring or amateur bouts.

Mouthpiece/Mouthguard/Gumshield
    Is a protective device used to prevent and reduce damage or injury to teeth, lips and gums there are a few different types such as double gum shield or single the latter being the most prefered due to the former leading some people to have problems breathing with it in. Most gumshields will be stock unless you get one specially made from a dental expert so normally boil and bite is used where you put the gumshield in boiling water for awhile then take it out and bite down for 10-20 seconds(sometimes may need longer) then rinse under slow running cold water to set this method usually gives a good to very good fit

Bags

Speed bags
    Speed bags are small air filled bags conectied to a platform which is parallel to the ground which main purpose is to help a fighter learn to keep his hands up whilst also improving hand-eye coordination and shifting weight between feet when punching

Double-end bag
    Are light circular bags anchored between the floor and celing with elastic material. these bags are used for practising accuracy whilst also practising head movement and mobility on a moving target

Heavy Bag
    Everyones favorite stress reliever, the heavy bag is a large heavy cylinder suspended by rope or chains for practising powerful punches to head or torso

Tower bags
    A tower bag is a heavy bag which is on a pedestal and weighted down by either water or sand

Uppercut bag
    a uppercut bag is generally a bad which is bigger on top with a thinner lower half ranging in weight and size. this bag is used for upper cut practice, jabbing, hooks and high and low punching practice.

Body oppenent bag
    Not often will you see one of these in a boxing gym but body oppenent bags such as "Slam Man" are being used in fitness classes and in a few gyms the idea is you can practise any punch on a oppenent that doesnt hit back.

Caution-Do not hit any bag without protection such as wraps or gloves or run the risk of a hand injury.

Stance
    There are many different types of stances and all are tailor made to suit each boxer but a boxer can only figure out what stance suits him best by the old tried and tested method of trial and error. But for the sake of this thread the basic Stance is as follows:
    Legs shoulder-width apart and the rear foot a half-step behind the lead foot. Right-handed or orthodox boxers lead with the left foot and fist. Both feet are pointed slightly inward, and the right heel is off the ground. The lead fist is held vertically about six inches in front of the face at eye level. The rear fist is held beside the chin and the elbow tucked against the ribcage to protect the body. The chin is tucked into the chest to avoid punches to the jaw

Punches

jab A quick, straight punch thrown with the lead hand from the guard position, thrown via a small rotation of the torso and hips as the fist rotates 90 degrees becoming horizontal on impact. This punch is the first punch you will ever learn and by far the most important as it can be used for many different situations and needs such as a lead punch for a powerful combo or simpily as a range finder.

Cross/Back Hand
    Considered the main power punch, thrown as a straight punch with the back hand from your gaurd in a straight line. The rear shoulder is thrust forward and finishes just touching the outside of the chin. At the same time, the lead hand is retracted and tucked against the face to protect the inside of the chin. For additional power, the torso and hips are rotated counter-clockwise as the cross is thrown. Weight is also transferred from the rear foot to the lead foot. the cross is usually the punch that follows a job in the classic one-two combo

Hook
    A looping punch thrown with either hand to the side of an oppenents head. from the guard position, the elbow is drawn back with a horizontal fist (knuckles pointing forward) and the elbow bent. The rear hand is tucked firmly against the jaw to protect the chin. The torso and hips are rotated clockwise, propelling the fist through a tight, clockwise arc across the front of the body and connecting with the target

Uppercut
    A vertical, rising punch thrown mainly with the rear hand. Uppercuts require a loading move back to get good power so its best if they follow a shot like a hook. revious shot loads the waist (cocking back), rotate from the waist, fist should come up right under the jaw can be slid up an oppenents chest, palm facing back to them on fist hitting chin and don’t let the shot makeyouself too open, need to stay hunched over as the arm flies up.

Defence

Slipping
    Slipping rotates the body slightly so that an incoming punch passes harmlessly next to the head. As the opponent's punch arrives, the boxer sharply rotates the hips and shoulders

Ducking
    Bend at knees so punch will fly overhead

Parry and Block
    Uses the boxer's shoulder, hands or arms as defensive tools to protect against incoming attacks. A block generally catches a punch while a parrys aim is to deflect it.

Covering up
    Hands are held high to protect the head and chin and the forearms are tucked against the torso to impede body shots and elbows tucked slightly back to cover ribs

Clinching
    Clinching is generally used in heavyweight fights as the two fighter become tired and cumbersome where an oppenent used his arms to tie up your arms so little movement is available. Clinching is usually quickly separated by the referee
    Last edited by bucko91; 12-01-2009 at 04:43 PM.
    96 Never Forgotten
    Youll Never Walk Alone
    When you feel like giving up, remember why you kept on for so long

Seasoned M&S Veteran
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Thumbs up

Well done lad, well done!
    We have the technology, we can rebuild him, make him faster, stronger, better than before...

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Nicely done.
    Everyone has to start somewhere, I just happen to be here.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Awesome!
    Expect my visit when the darkness comes. The night I think is best for hiding all.
    ~Ouallada

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Muscular Endurance

Loving the emphasise coming out on boxing on this site recently.
    I'm posting up my routine soon hope you guys approve ha!

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Quote Originally Posted by Mike91 View Post
    Loving the emphasise coming out on boxing on this site recently.
    I'm posting up my routine soon hope you guys approve ha!
    I can't wait myself.
    Expect my visit when the darkness comes. The night I think is best for hiding all.
    ~Ouallada

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Muscular Endurance

Quote Originally Posted by BigMan View Post
    I can't wait myself.
    You'l be the 1st to read then. Cool man! To late and i'm to tired to post it now. . Mayb tomorow night

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Basics to Boxing

You can learn boxing faster than any martial art, because it has so few moves.

However, to be really good (like anything) takes years.

Still, it has frequently been postulated that a boxer with 6 months training is more effective than many martial artists with far more training. (Again, a few moves are easier to master.)

As far as self defence goes, take a self defence course. The main objective is to avoid trouble before it starts.

For fighting skills hand to hand, boxing and wrestling is a pretty complete combination, and quick to learn.

Jiujitsu and tai boxing is more complete combination, but takes much longer to learn, Thus, it may actually be less effective if you are not a fanatic.

If you want one martial art that is effective in combination with a self defence course, I would suggest wrestling or Judo, as it can be used to control without necessarily harming your opponent (as long as you avoid chokes).

Boxing is effective, but you could hurt your opponent and be open to litigation.

**Advertising link deleted**
    Last edited by Doug; 08-17-2010 at 03:08 PM. Reason: advertising

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I am 22 never boxed before and dont know the first thing about boxing. what is the best way to start learning how to box ?

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by melb22 View Post
    I am 22 never boxed before and dont know the first thing about boxing. what is the best way to start learning how to box ?
    Hi, join a good boxing club is the best idea
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Awesome post dude. One thing I did notice though is the lacking of the bob/weave from the evasive section? The roll and duck combination to avoid hooks and pack a hench reply to the side of their face!

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Get Huge

This is awesome

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

love boxing and i loved all the talk in this thread thanks guys