MEMBER LOGIN

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    And for your knowlege, anyone trying to build muscle deadlifts should be done at the end of the back routine. because they take more strength and energy reserves than any other exercise.

Deadlifts should not be done first in a routine, but should be done last, you will find that many top bodybuilders do the deadlift last in their routines becase it maintains maximum spinal erector strength for the rowing etc but pre-exhausts the upper back before moving onto the deadlifts, that way the deadlifts are more of an overall back exercise...
    I didn't know that. I was doing my back and biceps day as this:
    Sumo deadlift
    Pendlay row
    shrug
    prone incline curl

I'll move the deadlift to between the shrug and prone incline curl. Thanks.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by gatitagata View Post
    Hmm...I seem to be unable to open this link... is there an alternative? I desperately need to work on my lower back due to an old injury...somebody can look at me sideways and it'll throw my lower back out LOL
    Hi mate, If you have an injury that you need advice on then post your question in the Injuries Section where our resident physio Yitmy will answer any questions you may have.
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Other

Hi mate, If you have an injury that you need advice on then post your question in the Injuries Section where our resident physio Yitmy will answer any questions you may have.
    I do troll the other areas but Doug is right they (the moderators) do not let me get out much from the injury area! (only kidding there Doug!)

Meaning if you have a question regarding getting over an injury, drop a line in the injury section and I'll get back to you within 48 hours. Try to be specific and we can problem solve it out and point you in the right direction.

Hope that helps!
    A home gym consisting of Bowflex Power-Pro XTL and power blocks(5-90). Also been working out consistently at a community center-JCC since November of 2014. Nice to have the home gym to fall back on off days.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

And for your knowlege, anyone trying to build muscle deadlifts should be done at the end of the back routine. because they take more strength and energy reserves than any other exercise.

Deadlifts should not be done first in a routine, but should be done last, you will find that many top bodybuilders do the deadlift last in their routines becase it maintains maximum spinal erector strength for the rowing etc but pre-exhausts the upper back before moving onto the deadlifts, that way the deadlifts are more of an overall back exercise...
    Does the same thing apply if you are trying to build strength?

M&S Elite Member
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Tone Up

Thumbs up Good note

I see a lot of weak, undeveloped low backs topped off with muscly upper bodies- so imbalanced!!! I guess if ppl realized how much increased lower back strength would improve their mirror muscles as well, they would be doing a lot more of them!!
    'CORE' is all the rage now!

M&S Elite Member
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Tone Up

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Thebigark View Post
    Those are old lady exercises...I think by far the best lower back exercise is the deadlift and one of my favorites. If done correctly can be very safe and build a lot of thickness and mass.

Go out there and pick up something heavy.
    Dude- you will be doing true old lady exercises if u get too cocky- these are difficult if done properly. U need more experience. Just cuz u aren't using big weights doesn't mean you aren't fatiguing your muscles.

M&S Elite Member
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Tone Up

Thumbs up

Oh we have an ego lifter.....

Deadlifts should not be performed by beginners until some experience and some lower back strength has been achieved.

Good one

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Try doing hyper-extensions that builds up lower back,

Thanks for the rep+ appreciated
    I am on travel for work now, and cannot do deadlifts. I've substituted hyper extensions, which I was doing at home also. They really strengthen to lower back. Be sure to hold at the top position.
    Height: 6'-2"
    weight January 2012: 184 pounds
    Weight February 19 2012: 187 pounds

• Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Oooh, sweet! Can't believe I never saw this

I've had several low back muscle strains, carrying a whole lot of gut around for so long probably helped, and I'm glad to see some extra lower back stuff that's a little more low impact. Of all my poor weak muscles, that one needs the most work! Consider it bookmarked
    * Gonzodamus' views do not necessarily reflect the views of Gonzodamus.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Doesn't seem like the page will load for me I'll have to try again later. Is it posted somewhere else?
    "If a job is worth doing, it's worth doing properly."

"You've got to build the house before you paint it." - muscletrainerd

"Bodybuilding is a marathon; not a sprint." - Coach

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Talking

Coming from a 4th yr chiro student, the most important thing (esp those who have suffered LBP before) should be able to do is abdomnally brace 360 degrees whilst maintaining respiration. this should be held through out all of the low back exercises.in rehabilitation for those with low back pain-even acutely- strength is the LAST component to come into the program. as said previously, correct form and pure movement from core stability is much more important to prevent injury or for reoccurence

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Yeah, I have to say from personal experience these arent old lady exercises, they're really just the stepping stone into pilates, which is great for core. The key to making them hard is to suck in the tranverse abs. You control your own difficulty, and the exercises actually get harder at first because you learn how to contract the right muscles.

Also in a reply to the deadlift comment: read this.
    http://www.amazon.com/Multifidus-Bac...ref=pd_sim_b_1

The muscles you use for deadlift are not exactly the same as the muscles you use in pilates/ these exercises given. Building up strong multifidus fibers will not only help with pain/strength but will allow you to better isolate other muscle groups when you're working them out since your core is stronger and won't tire out as quickly.

Anyhow, the key to these is to use your tranverse abs, not your lateral abs, that is to say the muscle you use to suck in your stomach, not to do sits ups with.

Demon of Death Valley zeroblank57's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

Ok so I hurt my lower back awhile ago and went to the doctor. Doctor things its pulled or strained or something and gave me muscle relaxents which kinda help but I wanan strengthen my lower back. So with these, how many should I do and how often should I do them?

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Try doing hyper-extensions that builds up lower back,

Thanks for the rep+ appreciated
    i heard hyper extensions can be bad for the back?

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

Doug, I agree with doing deadlifts at the end of your workout. Doing this sent my strength thru the roof.

My question is, can you do deadlifts and squats in the same workout?

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I'm in the same boat, I have watched my friends do them, watched videos, read the directions carefully, had people watch me do them, and my lower back still gets sore as hell and I don't even feel it on my hamstrings or glutes. I keep the bar close, keep my head looking forward, bend my knees. I can get alot of weight and alot of reps and its not painful while i do them, i am just worried i am going to mess my back up. I also wear a weight belt.
    Never QUIT!!!!

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I avoid using the belt while deadlifting.
    I have heard that using a weight belt will actually do more damage than good especially for beginners. Reason being you will get too used to using the belt and will not strengthen the core muscles like the spinal erectors and obliques. Injury is eminent when u do decide to deadlift without a belt. Better to deadlift light and work your way up while strengthening the support muscles and u will not require a belt at all. I hope you get what I am trying to say.
    Guys correct me if I am wrong.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

I have a big problem with my lower back that is effecting my squats/deads/bent over rows/military press and washing up!

I am going to try some of these for my back. When is the best time to do them and how should I incorporate them into my 5 day split. Should I do some of these everyday or just on my back day? Before or after I lift? On off days?

Thanks!
    There are 2 types of people: those who enjoy learning from others; and those who think they know it all!

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Other

Quote Originally Posted by faun2500 View Post
    I have a big problem with my lower back that is effecting my squats/deads/bent over rows/military press and washing up!

I am going to try some of these for my back. When is the best time to do them and how should I incorporate them into my 5 day split. Should I do some of these everyday or just on my back day? Before or after I lift? On off days?

Thanks!
    Check in at the injury forum and take a look at the post with the thumb on it answer the questions in your post, and we can see what you can do.
    A home gym consisting of Bowflex Power-Pro XTL and power blocks(5-90). Also been working out consistently at a community center-JCC since November of 2014. Nice to have the home gym to fall back on off days.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

Well For specific gym based exercises, the variety is all there. Saurus had a good exercise there and try it with the knee bent after the leg straight, then get back to me. Lat pull downs, or holding the bar and bending back backwards keeping good back curvature, done slowly both directions back and to rest could offer a lot of variety.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

There is research out that suggests that using a belt is a bad way to go. They have shown that those who have used a belt and hurt themselves were much much worse off then those who had not. This was in both in terms of recovery and the injury itself.

I see the belt as an aid. If you can not lift it without you can not lift it. You are not strong enough so do not add some kind of aid in to make things easier for you.

• Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Last night i hurt my lower back doing deads

this morning the pain was bad, hard to bend over to pick up stuff so for today i skipped the cardio, abs and did all those exercises and now my lower back feels so much better then before i can actually sit down without pain

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Quote Originally Posted by jaskarn View Post
    Last night i hurt my lower back doing deads

this morning the pain was bad, hard to bend over to pick up stuff so for today i skipped the cardio, abs and did all those exercises and now my lower back feels so much better then before i can actually sit down without pain
    Make sure you drive the hips forward using your glutes, instead of pulling with your back and hyperextending it (which is how I hurt my lower back). A lot of people tend to hyperextend their back when I see them deadlifting
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler

• Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Quote Originally Posted by Spartigus View Post
    Make sure you drive the hips forward using your glutes, instead of pulling with your back and hyperextending it (which is how I hurt my lower back). A lot of people tend to hyperextend their back when I see them deadlifting
    Thats what i did

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Performance

Default back strength

an awesome exercise to build strength in the back is kettle bell swinging. you must warm up your body and loosen your muscles, this is vital otherwise you may suffer pulled muscles in your back. go for a vigorous 10 minute run and conduct 10 minutes of stretching. you need to open you legs in a straddle position and swing the kettle bell through through your legs into the air, make sure you use your legs to cushion the swing.