MEMBER LOGIN

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Lower back strengthening exercises

The lower back is an important part of the core of the body as is at risk of injury if a weakness occurs. Click Here for lower back strengthening exercises.
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Those are old lady exercises...I think by far the best lower back exercise is the deadlift and one of my favorites. If done correctly can be very safe and build a lot of thickness and mass.

Go out there and pick up something heavy.

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

dont be a smart ass... u cant know as much as some1 with 20+ years of exp
    isnt it funny how bears love hunny...

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Thebigark View Post
    Those are old lady exercises...I think by far the best lower back exercise is the deadlift and one of my favorites. If done correctly can be very safe and build a lot of thickness and mass.

What is best for you is not always best for someone else...
    A person is only as big as the dream they dare to live.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Thebigark View Post

Oh we have an ego lifter.....

Deadlifts should not be performed by beginners until some experience and some lower back strength has been achieved.

And for your knowlege, anyone trying to build muscle deadlifts should be done at the end of the back routine. because they take more strength and energy reserves than any other exercise.

Deadlifts should not be done first in a routine, but should be done last, you will find that many top bodybuilders do the deadlift last in their routines becase it maintains maximum spinal erector strength for the rowing etc but pre-exhausts the upper back before moving onto the deadlifts, that way the deadlifts are more of an overall back exercise...
    Doug

Lady Lake CrossFit Owner bbaker352's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit

Im ****ed off that I cant do deadlifts! Apparently no one in the state of Florida knows. Every, I mean every time I try to do a deadlift, I feel like my lower back is going to snap in half. I KNOW it has to be form, but no one can seem to help me out down here. Thanks for the lower back exercises Doug... It will be helpful! Rep+
    Bryan
    "You will learn by the numbers. I will teach you!"

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by bbaker352 View Post
    Im ****ed off that I cant do deadlifts! Apparently no one in the state of Florida knows. Every, I mean every time I try to do a deadlift, I feel like my lower back is going to snap in half. I KNOW it has to be form, but no one can seem to help me out down here. Thanks for the lower back exercises Doug... It will be helpful! Rep+
    Try doing hyper-extensions that builds up lower back,

Thanks for the rep+ appreciated
    Doug

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

One of my favourites is prone hip-thigh extensions:

- Lie face-down on a high bench with your legs hanging off the end of the bench. (Your groin should be at the bottom end of the bench.)
    - Keeping your legs straight, lift them until they are parallel to your body. (your feet may be slightly higher.) Hold the bench for stability.
    - Lower your legs down to the floor slowly until your toes just lightly touch the floor. Do not stop and let your legs rest on the floor - keep the tension - as soon as you feel your toes touch the floor, lift off for the next rep.
    A person is only as big as the dream they dare to live.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Other

Doug,
    I am going to have to agree that these particular exercises are good but for someone with an injury, ie they are physical therapy exercises. I do not give them all at once or all of them ever(yet) in my practice.

To train your low back you need to stress balance! This is often forgotten in strength training. What this means is that if you want a strong back you ought to strengthen your abdominals too. The opposite is true if you want strong Abs work your back. The trunk muscles work together inorder to keep you upright and these babies are all endurance related musculature. That means that you need multiple reps in good form to adequately increase the strength in the area. 3 sets of 10 aint going to do it, also failure maybe a cause of potential injury. So reps should be in the time range...2 minutes plus.

For specific gym based exercises, the variety is all there. Saurus had a good exercise there and try it with the knee bent after the leg straight, then get back to me. Lat pull downs, or holding the bar and bending back backwards keeping good back curvature, done slowly both directions back and to rest could offer a lot of variety. I could go on, but I have to exercise now-bicep day before work...
    -M
    A home gym consisting of Bowflex Power-Pro XTL and power blocks(5-90). Also been working out consistently at a community center-JCC since November of 2014. Nice to have the home gym to fall back on off days.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by yitmy View Post
    Doug,
    I am going to have to agree that these particular exercises are good but for someone with an injury,
    So what would you give to an unconditioned male at the outset, his first session (s) in the gym enviroment to train the lower back, obviously hyper extensions or the exercise that Saurus refered to would be ok for someone who has some lower back strength but what about someone who has absolutely no lower back strength, has never exercised before...??

Quote Originally Posted by yitmy View Post
    That means that you need multiple reps in good form to adequately increase the strength in the area. 3 sets of 10 aint going to do it, also failure maybe a cause of potential injury. So reps should be in the time range...2 minutes plus.
    You mean that to strengthen back and abs you have to perform reps for two minutes plus per set, to increase strength in those areas..??
    Doug

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Oh we have an ego lifter.....

Im really not...I know i came off that way. I am actually pretty dissatisfied with where i am at, but that keeps me motivated to push a little more. Im just used to me and my lifting friends giving each other a hard time. I guess i should tone it down until people get to know me.

i never heard that doin deadlifts last is better. I usually do it second cause it takes so much energy. I am usually tired after it. I'll give it a try. Never hurts to change things up and try new things.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Other

Doug,
    On re-reading Saurus's post, I miss read how it was peformed.(my bad) I encourage people to strengthen their buttocks first. I do this by having them lie on their stomach and then lifting the leg straight back or up with the knee straight. Then repeat with the knee bent. This works your glutes which is closely associated with the back.

Back hyperextensions may be too much at first. but coming from a position of trunk flexion to neutral would be a better exercise.(speaking from experience, my back segment of the transverse process got pinched and for a good month I was miserable. A physician indicated back hyperextensions could be the cause and to avoid them.) Saurus exercise of stabilizing the trunk and lifting legs to neutral would also work to strengthen the back/gluteal area.

I do not specifically train the multifidi, erector spinae, longissimus musculature, maybe I should, but I feel some things are best left as G-D intended. I have also not found any research indicating that putting an outside force on the area being a way to specifically cause hypertrophy for the region. (I am not sure clinically that we would want to) I do know that they do respond to stress, so if you squat the load on your back would strengthen your back musculture to help stabilize the load. So by performing gross/compound movements deadlifts, squats, good mornings, lunges the stress from the load would also increase the synegistic musculature strength. Which would strengthen the back indirectly.

I have found great results with the time factor with exercises. I do begin with repititions but I advance using time. I find that if you say work your abs and do 30 reps you may not be paying a lot of attention to your form. But if you do the same exercise and you want to encourage good form but you keep losing count because you focus on the form so much then another measure of reps could be time. I do not think we should base all exercises this way, its just something that has worked well for me and my clients. Do note that I only do only one set of the particular exercise with time. Many clients have to start with reps first to build up the endurance to do time based exercises.
    -m
    A home gym consisting of Bowflex Power-Pro XTL and power blocks(5-90). Also been working out consistently at a community center-JCC since November of 2014. Nice to have the home gym to fall back on off days.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Try doing hyper-extensions that builds up lower back,

Thanks for the rep+ appreciated
    some 1 at gym told me not to do hyperextentions because they hurt the lower back and not strengthen it, i did them a month ago and i had to take a 15min rest b4 biceps because it was hurtin so much is that right?

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

It's probably because your back was/is not very strong and wasn't up to the task. I used to get a really sore back when i first started doing deadlifts too, but I dropped the weight a bit and kept them up and now my lower back is really strong. It always would hurt when I did a lot of crunching type exercises too, but now it's all good. It's just a matter of working into it and building the strength
    Muscle & Strength Store
    - 10k products from over 300 brands
    - 500+ unbeatable deals
    - Same-day shipping
    - Free samples
    - Shipping worldwide

Follow M&S:
    Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Twitter | Pinterest | Tumblr | Google+

Follow Me:
    Instagram | Twitter

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Oh yes!! I love hyper extensions.
    Yeh i do my deadlifts last too, i do my squats first though so that the two most energy sapping exercises are a fair distance apart recovery wise.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

As I can't open the link with the exercises, I can't really give comments..

What I give to my clients for strengthening the lower back part:
    Is the use of a Swiss ball. You put your feet in the gym ladder at a 30cm height, the ball goes maximum near your diafragma (so you're lying on your stomach) and from there you lift up & down.

When it is too easy, I use a medicine ball (2kg) that they put behind their head, or a 5kg disc.

To vary a bit, you can do rotations as well... which means you lift up and rotate to one side, then to the other. The only problem is: balance... so I give that to people with a few months experience..

What do you think?
    Certified Golf Fitness Instructor TĘPI
    Performance Athlete Trainer
    Master in Physical Education at University of Brussels

Rep+ as reward for a good help or interesting theories

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Quote Originally Posted by bbaker352 View Post
    Just try with a light weight at first.

Stick your stomach out forwards, shoulders back. You dont want your back rounded forwards like if you went to pick a pen up off the floor, you want it the opposite way.

Stick your ass out too like you where doing a squat and bend your legs. Its quite a hard exercise to describe but i hope that helps
    **30 day no fap challenge** Join me brothers!

muscleandstrength.com/forum/general-chat/68685-does-no-fap-work.html

I train to be an athlete not a bodybuilder

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default back problem

i had some trouble with the back stiffness and tensing when running and some workouts, i will give some of these a try. thanks

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Hey doug im sorry to write this on here but i can't seem to find any other way. hahaha im new to this and was wondering how to post a bulletin so i can ask some questions. Could you point me in the right direction?

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Quote Originally Posted by jonzy77 View Post
    Hey doug im sorry to write this on here but i can't seem to find any other way. hahaha im new to this and was wondering how to post a bulletin so i can ask some questions. Could you point me in the right direction?
    Just go to the correct forum page, I.e beginner questions and advice then click the New thread button on the top left, and there you go ask away
    **30 day no fap challenge** Join me brothers!

muscleandstrength.com/forum/general-chat/68685-does-no-fap-work.html

I train to be an athlete not a bodybuilder

• Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Other

Good sticky. I'm doing about 11 out of the 23 exercises on the back after every workout, and have BIG improvements in my back, less sore.

I think the deadlifts and squats have significantly helped my back posture too.

To the other guy, maybe your using too much weights on the deadlifts? They are pretty light, or ur gym has the reallly heavy plates.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Possum View Post
    Just try with a light weight at first.

Stick your stomach out forwards, shoulders back. You dont want your back rounded forwards like if you went to pick a pen up off the floor, you want it the opposite way.

Stick your ass out too like you where doing a squat and bend your legs. Its quite a hard exercise to describe but i hope that helps
    oh man.. i try to explain the form for deadlifts and bent over rows in a similar way to my brother.. he has the absolute worst form for bent over barbell rows.. he just doesnt get it, i explain to him every way i know of.. keep your shoulders back, bend over at the hips NOT your stomach, keep your head facing forward .. he just CANT do it.. and its so aggrivating.. i hate working out with noobs, especially when i am not 100% sure about my form either
    Squat 2.1x BW Squat, 1.75xBW Bench Press, 2.5xBW Deadlift (425/350/500)
    205 lbs @7%

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit

Tell ya what, I been doing good mornings, bent over rows, stiff leg deadlifts, hyperextensions, oh and what others, I dunno. (still new at this) But it's been about six mos now, is my back stronger? I reckon a little.

But ya know when my back starts killing me? When I realize I haven't done my cat/camels for few days.
    When it's all over said and done, you're gonna regret the things you 'didn't do', more than the things you did.
    (I think that was Mark Twain)

• Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

Hmm...I seem to be unable to open this link... is there an alternative? I desperately need to work on my lower back due to an old injury...somebody can look at me sideways and it'll throw my lower back out LOL
    ~Brightest Blessings~
    Weight: 273lbs Goal: under 200lbs
    Height: 5'7"

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit

Quote Originally Posted by gatitagata View Post
    Hmm...I seem to be unable to open this link... is there an alternative? I desperately need to work on my lower back due to an old injury...somebody can look at me sideways and it'll throw my lower back out LOL
    Oooh, I just figured out that link was posted in 2007.

Maybe someone has a new link?
    37 Years Old, 5'9", 188 lbs, Routine: Boxing/Machines/CARDIO, Current Cycle: Cutting