MEMBER LOGIN

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by nmcjudo View Post
    LOL, yeah no kidding.

Judo came from jiu-jitsu so any fighter who knows jiu-jitsu, will know some judo. Should I begin to list names of fighters who know jiu-jitsu?

A lot of wrestlers come into my judo club and most of them make a decent transistion. The only problem they have is they tend to keep their heads up and their hips high making them easy to choke and sweep. Once they break those habits, they're fine. I only did wrestling for 1 year in high school and it was fun but I enjoy judo much more because of the submissions. Wrestling will teach you more pins but submissions are illegal. Pins are legal in judo but you don't have to have as much control over your opponent as you do in wrestling to win via pin. Judo will teach you more throws but most throws are illegal in wrestling. I would say try both and go with whichever one you enjoy more. They're two different sports and it depends on the person.
    Sorry, judo = jiu jitsu. jiu jitsu doesn't always mean Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.
    Currently: Bulking
    Current Weight ~ 158
    Goal Weight - 160
    BF% = 12%
    Cutting After - Goal BF = 8%

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Other

I would tend to move towards judo if in your position, however if a decent student of either art were to fight they would be reasonably even.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

If your only choices in your location are wrestling or judo, definitely go with Judo. Judo will definitely have far more carryover into the MMA world.
    Go freakin' heavy or go freakin' home!
    Power Level: 111,166 (Jarhead Certified)
    "* One of the best things I ever learned in football (and this was a big turning point for me in college) was to never be afraid to fail. This paralysis keeps too many people from trying - keeps people from doing their first meet, submitting their first article, or asking out the girl you've had a crush on for 2 years." -- Jim Wendler

Coming Up The Ranks hillsidehibbee's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Mate its all about the instructor! If your judo instructor is **** or you simply dont get on with him or his students then you will enjoy the other class more. Seems obvious but its true. I know judo coaches who suck, they only teach sport judo and couldnt train an mma fighter if their lives depend on it. But I also know a wicked ex-mma judo coach who is awesome. He teaches nasty leg locks like heel hooks and "naked" techniques - those without a gi, that are illegal/dont apply to sport judo...

Go train one time at both clubs see which you like best! Good luck.
    "Physical strength is the most important thing in life... A weak man is not as happy as that same man would be if he were strong."
    Rip

Current Goals; Deadlift 100Kg, Squat 80Kg, Bench 70Kg, OHP 40Kg

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Okay so the other day I went along and did grappling during the day with my mate and a couple of his judo mates. I used to do wrestling and I am heavier than all of them.
    I was amazed at how different the two arts are! Sure they share a few things. But when it came to the ground game in particular, they would outclass me. Sure I am not a champion wrestler but I think most wrestlers would find the same. And of course when it came to submissions, I simply didn't know how to defend some of them, or even see them coming. This is because I did freestyle wrestling, you know, where you pin their shoulders to the ground. On the other hand they weren't all that good at stopping me pin their shuolders. So thta just shows those differences.
    I also noticed that they all had extremely good core strength. I think it is safe to say that for the most part they would be able to outclass me in pure skill terms.

I fond out afterwards that one was an ex national champion and one is a national champion and oceania champion however haha
    Lifts: (pre-shoulder surgery 24/7)

180kg/396lb Back Squat
    210kg/462lb Deadlift
    150kg Front Squat
    100kg Push Press
    100kg Clean
    85kg Snatch
    40kg DB Chest Press for 3x12
    600kgx5 45 degree Leg press
    24kg for 10 reps Ultra Strict Seated DB Curls (been working these hard for lols)

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Get Huge

Do wrestling. Better work out

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Some posted about Capoeira before, I can say its fun but not effective for any sort of self defence. Its more like an extreme form of dance

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Nice, a judo thread!

Both disciplines are awesome, but there is a key difference: judo is about off-balancing and lifting, and wrestling is more about dragging down. In judo, you need to get your opponent off balance, and reduce contact with the mat, before throwing. In wrestling, the tendency is to use much more strength and power. It makes sense: Japanese are generally tiny people, and historically needed to maximize efficiency to win. Both work VERY well, but one is more efficient and expends less energy (leaving more in the tank for other purposes, or the next fight/challenge).
    ~Head SAN Rep~

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Do submission wrestling, it combines BJJ/catch wrestling and freestyle.

But if they dont offer that id just wrestle, I love it and its a lot more physically demanding than Judo or BJJ. I do all of them through MMA. Pure Judo does not transfer that well into MMA these days, a good BJJ practitioner will submit you and a good wrestler will control you. Wrestlers however have had a lot of success transferring over. In a fight on the street BJJ/Judo will only work against a single opponent. Whereas with wrestling you can dump someone, hit them a couple times then stand back up to engage the others.
    Last edited by Possum; 01-30-2013 at 12:09 PM.
    **30 day no fap challenge** Join me brothers!

muscleandstrength.com/forum/general-chat/68685-does-no-fap-work.html

I train to be an athlete not a bodybuilder

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Ronda Rousey would disagree with you. So would Dong Hyun Kim, Fedor, Rick Hawn, and others. Very few high-level judoka ever step into the octagon, because they have way more opportunities in professional, world-level judo, and there's little incentive for a world judo champ to go into MMA for $150k a year. Judo as a sport is far bigger than MMA, and more wide-spread, watched, and practiced globally. When the top judoka step into the octagon, they can do very well, see Ronda and the others. Ronda is the highest level judoka in MMA now; the only reason she did it is to break new ground, so to speak, in womens MMA (whereas in judo, while an Olympic gold would be a far greater accomplishment, technically, than a UFC championship, it would not be ground-breaking). She saw an opportunity wich no other woman has, currently, and took it. Also, her mom was the first female judo world champ, and I have no doubt that has propelled her to try to forge her own path.
    ~Head SAN Rep~

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Ahem, someone say 'Ronda Rousey'?
    ~Head SAN Rep~

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Ronda wrecked it in her last fight, anyone see it?
    ~Head SAN Rep~