MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Performance

Default A bit nervous ....

Hey i play cricket in the summer 4 nights a week and as it is coming up to winter i want to give mma/martial arts a try but im a bit nervous i am quite a confident guy but ive never had a fight in my life or realy thrown a punch im also quite slight i was wondering if any off you have a little advise on how to get into it and any etiquete thats involved plus an idea of which martial art to take up thank you

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Just go for it. The majority of the time you will find everyone to be very welcoming and will help you, just make sure to ask for help, just don't try and mimick what you see everyone else do. If you don't learn proper techniques right away, it will take even longer to break them. Overall, have fun with it!!

~Heather
    Current weight: 157 lbs. Goal weight: 140-145lbs. Fight weight: 135lbs.

MMA has taken over my life....

I'm in shape...round is a shape

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Other

If you are going for MA training for the first time it is good to find a class that emphasizes the techniques PRIOR to being thrown in the ring. They should emphasize the participant being comfortable with each of the techniques used before being applied in combat (even if it is just light non-contact sparring). I've heard many stories of friends joining MMA schools with little to no experience and being thrown in a ring with someone fighting for 4+ years. in their first class they are getting put into arm bars and submission holds.

thats the only thing I would be mindful of. But otherwise, most instructors are really helpful and approachable, and if you show that you earnestly want to learn from them they will open up and teach you alot of things. fighting can be scary at first, but a good instructor will guide you through it to make sure you learn and understand the application of everything in a safe way.
    M9 - so what if i look like jim kelly?

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Cricketboy61 View Post
    Hey i play cricket in the summer 4 nights a week and as it is coming up to winter i want to give mma/martial arts a try but im a bit nervous i am quite a confident guy but ive never had a fight in my life or realy thrown a punch im also quite slight i was wondering if any off you have a little advise on how to get into it and any etiquete thats involved plus an idea of which martial art to take up thank you
    If you are in High School or College, try to join wrestling, or an MMA intramural. Otherwise, research a martial art, search for a local club that supplies training for it, and sign up.

Usually there are beginner courses, if not, the people are generally nice and should help you out. Suppose it depends where you live, but I've never had any trouble.

best of luck