MEMBER LOGIN

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    BGD - Superset Superman muscletrainerdh's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Are You On or Have You Tried Dave's Upper/Lower Body Split?

Are You On or Have You Tried Dave's Upper/Lower Body Split?

I'd really like to get an idea of:

1) How many people have tried it?

2) Did you gain some decent muscle on it?

3) Did you use it for cutting or losing fat?

4) Did you take before and after measurements or pictures?

You can post your answers up on this thread.

If you took pictures but do not want to put them up, you can send them to me privately.

If the program didn't work for you, what did you struggle with? (Increasing the weights, eating the right foods? exercise selection?)

Let me know!

Many many thanks,

Dave
    POWER LEVEL: 54,481

Sarcasm and Cynicism are not helpful or attractive traits, respond to posts as you wish to be responded to.

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

Funny after we were talking about I got thive via email:

Hello,
    I've been doing relatively the same workout routine for quite some time now, and I found Dave's Upper/Lower Split workout on your website. I would like to adapt to it, and the leg exercises seem great, but I have a few questions regarding the upper body exercises:
    Is there a reason there aren't more bicep-focused exercises in this workout?
    Is it necessary to do both regular bench presses and inclined presses?
    I've found that flys, shoulder presses, and forearm curls really help me. I would like to incorporate them into this routine. What would be the best way to do that?
    Any help you can give me I would greatly appreciate. Thank you.
    I sent him over here
    Muscle & Strength Store
    - 10k products from over 300 brands
    - 500+ unbeatable deals
    - Same-day shipping
    - Free samples
    - Shipping worldwide

Follow M&S:
    Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Twitter | Pinterest | Tumblr | Google+

Follow Me:
    Instagram | Twitter

The Beardless One
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I'm actually thinking about starting this Monday. I hate rest weeks!

I'll tell you how it goes though. I'm actually undecided with what routine I want to do.

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Get Fit

End of week 3 for me... too early to tell anything but so far I've been able to increase the weight consistently every time, so at least I'm getting stronger. This probably has more to do with the fact that I'm eating a lot more now. I will get back to you once I'm further into the routine.

-edit-

I'm also not sure what kind of ab routine to throw in with this.

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Some DULS FAQ Answers:

Is there a reason there aren't more bicep-focused exercises in this workout?
    ## Bicep is a small muscle group and preacher curls are very effective..Also they are a secondary mover on the back exercises (Barbell Row and Reverse Grip Pulldown) If you are using a proper load, your biceps will grow!

Is it necessary to do both regular bench presses and inclined presses?
    ## Probably could do one or the other, I would eliminate inclined benches if you wanted to get rid of one of them.

I've found that flys, shoulder presses, and forearm curls really help me. I would like to incorporate them into this routine. What would be the best way to do that?
    ##How do they help you? Are you saying you grow when you use these movements?
    Shoulders get plenty of work with the rowing and pressing movements, but if you wanted to add shoulder press, I would do so after the bench presses and before the tricep moves. If you want to add flys, I would do a superset of DB Flyes and Bench Press. I'm not a big believer in direct forearm work, but if you want to add some you could, as the last exercise in the program. No more than 3 total sets.

What are some of the best and most accessible abdominal exercises you can recommend?
    ## Weighted Stability Ball Crunches
    ## Hanging Leg Raise
    ## Cable Crunches

Sarcasm and Cynicism are not helpful or attractive traits, respond to posts as you wish to be responded to.

The Beardless One
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I'm starting this tomorrow! Yay! =D

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Get Fit

Dave, all the bars for lat pulldown at my gym curve downward before the shoulder point, so that grabbing it underhanded for the reverse grip lat pulldown means my arms have to rotate outward ~30 degrees. This burns my forearms like crazy during the exercise and I think puts excess stress on my wrists and elbows. Should I keep doing them like this, or would it be better to grip closer on the bar underhanded (narrower than shoulder width), or should I just perform normal grip lat pulldowns instead?

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Sarbae View Post
    Dave, all the bars for lat pulldown at my gym curve downward before the shoulder point, so that grabbing it underhanded for the reverse grip lat pulldown means my arms have to rotate outward ~30 degrees. This burns my forearms like crazy during the exercise and I think puts excess stress on my wrists and elbows. Should I keep doing them like this, or would it be better to grip closer on the bar underhanded (narrower than shoulder width), or should I just perform normal grip lat pulldowns instead?
    Sorry, yes, anytime you do underhanded lat pulldowns move your grip in closer to the center of the bar.

M&S Power User
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I started this yesterday. Lower Body Workout A destroyed my legs, but I like it. =D

M&S Power User
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I like the routine so far. Haven't been on a full body workout in a long time so it'll take some time to adjust.

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by aloren View Post
    I like the routine so far. Haven't been on a full body workout in a long time so it'll take some time to adjust.
    Awesome ALoren! Just let me know if you have any Questions!!

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Started this routine this week. Its my second leg day tomorrow, lower body workout B. However after having a rest week, my legs are suffering from major DOMage. The best kind of DOMs, hopefully ease a bit by tomorrow, but if not should I work through it?

PS. Loving the overall upper body pump after this workout.
    BBP

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by bhavin1986 View Post
    Started this routine this week. Its my second leg day tomorrow, lower body workout B. However after having a rest week, my legs are suffering from major DOMage. The best kind of DOMs, hopefully ease a bit by tomorrow, but if not should I work through it?

PS. Loving the overall upper body pump after this workout.
    I know usually the advice is to take a rest day, but I would try and work through it since Workout B is lighter weights. Also if you take a rest day, it may mean that the DOMS will be just as severe next week.

But if the DOMS is still very severe and there's no way you can tough it out, then definitely rest.

M&S Power User
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I like the lower volume of the B workouts. Feels pretty good.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I'm thinking about starting this routine, but I'm nervous about the amount of shoulders included (no shoulder press). Are incline bp and tricep dips enough to cover shoulders for a whole week, or am I missing something? Any advice would be appreciated.

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Jarvis View Post
    I'm thinking about starting this routine, but I'm nervous about the amount of shoulders included (no shoulder press). Are incline bp and tricep dips enough to cover shoulders for a whole week, or am I missing something? Any advice would be appreciated.
    Shoulders get plenty of work with the rowing and pressing movements, but if you wanted to add shoulder press, I would do so after the bench presses and before the tricep moves. You could also add dumbbell rear delt raise on the 2nd upper body workout.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by muscletrainerdh View Post
    Shoulders get plenty of work with the rowing and pressing movements, but if you wanted to add shoulder press, I would do so after the bench presses and before the tricep moves. You could also add dumbbell rear delt raise on the 2nd upper body workout.
    Thanks and please excuse my temporary blindness syndrome ><

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Dear Dave,

Why is the routine designed to have the lower body portion first (mondays & thursdays), then the upper body after it?

Is it the simple fact that legs are a hugemongous muscle?

I don't have a problem following the routine as instructed (lower first, then upper), but I was just curious.

Sincerely,

Brenden
    CWU

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Brenden061 View Post
    Dear Dave,

Why is the routine designed to have the lower body portion first (mondays & thursdays), then the upper body after it?

Is it the simple fact that legs are a hugemongous muscle?

I don't have a problem following the routine as instructed (lower first, then upper), but I was just curious.

Sincerely,

Brenden
    Really no reason other than everyone and their brother is working their CHEST (part of the Upper body) on Mondays. So I kick it off with LOWER BODY to throw a wrench in what people deem as a "NORMAL" routine. Also harder to blow off Legs if they fall on Monday and Thursday rather than a Tuesday and Friday. (Legs on Friday is a notorious "Blow Off" day)

Peace,

Dave

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

-Dave,

I've just completed Thursday & Friday's workout. Happy to say, my glutes feel like they could crack wallnuts and my lats make me feel like I could fly. I looked at the routine and previous posts and could not find the answer to my questions so,

What days would you recommend doing ab exercises on, upperbody or lowerbody days?
    I did them on an Upperbody day for no specific reason, but i'm curious as to what you suggest because it's your routine .

Also,

I need to improve my grip strength. I've found that my forearms are holding back my progression on lunges and it frustrates me . So, I want to take steps to fix it. On the upperbody day, after my last workout set and before abs I did forearms:

3 sets of 15,12,10 wrist curls
    3 sets of 15,12,10 reverse wrist curls

My primary goal is to beable to hold a heavier dumbbell for lunges and a heavier barbbell without my forearms getting fatigued, what would you recommend (exercise/sets/reps?) and on what day?

Thanks,

Brenden
    CWU

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by muscletrainerdh View Post
    Really no reason other than everyone and their brother is working their CHEST (part of the Upper body) on Mondays. So I kick it off with LOWER BODY to throw a wrench in what people deem as a "NORMAL" routine. Also harder to blow off Legs if they fall on Monday and Thursday rather than a Tuesday and Friday. (Legs on Friday is a notorious "Blow Off" day)

Peace,

Dave
    Man are you right about this Legs on friday Ive notoriously blown them off on fridays many a time
    cutting

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      More Strength

I just started this routine as well. Lower Body A was a lot of fun. I learned a lot about my limits (in a good way... Im not as weak as I thought, but didn't go too much.) Skull crushers hurt my elbows though. What exercises can I do in place of that? Would Reverse Hammers work (Elbows behind you and pushing the dumbells back and up)?

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Tone Up

Try doing triceps extensions where you dont only lower the bar to your skull or head but all the way so the bar hits the notch of hair on your head. You understand? You got to decline it above your head while lying down.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I wanted to drop a quick post to mention I just finished ~7 weeks of DULS and I'm very happy with the results. I started on Sep. 30, last workout was on Nov. 14. I would've gone another week or two but I had to travel for work the week of Nov. 16 so it was best to use it as a rest week.

-Gained ~10lbs (182 --> 192)
    -Huge gains on legs: with this workout it's leg day 50% of the time, and my gains showed it. My leg strength improved greatly too. I do nice & deep squats, and my first Lower A squat workout was 8-8-8 @ 205lb, while my final Lower A workout was 8-8-6-7 @ 245lb.
    -Good gains on upper body. Not as noticeable as legs, but this might be a sign that my legs were under-developed going into the routine.

I really liked the 2day split covering each group twice per week. However, I suspect that if I did this routine indefinitely, my upper body would lag behind the lower.

I strongly recommend this routine to everyone, give it an 8-week run to bulk. If for no other reason, try it as prescribed to see what it will do for your legs, because it was huge for mine.

Thanks Dave! I'm very happy with how this workout went

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Jarvis View Post
    I wanted to drop a quick post to mention I just finished ~7 weeks of DULS and I'm very happy with the results. I started on Sep. 30, last workout was on Nov. 14. I would've gone another week or two but I had to travel for work the week of Nov. 16 so it was best to use it as a rest week.

-Gained ~10lbs (182 --> 192)
    -Huge gains on legs: with this workout it's leg day 50% of the time, and my gains showed it. My leg strength improved greatly too. I do nice & deep squats, and my first Lower A squat workout was 8-8-8 @ 205lb, while my final Lower A workout was 8-8-6-7 @ 245lb.
    -Good gains on upper body. Not as noticeable as legs, but this might be a sign that my legs were under-developed going into the routine.

I really liked the 2day split covering each group twice per week. However, I suspect that if I did this routine indefinitely, my upper body would lag behind the lower.

I strongly recommend this routine to everyone, give it an 8-week run to bulk. If for no other reason, try it as prescribed to see what it will do for your legs, because it was huge for mine.

Thanks Dave! I'm very happy with how this workout went

Awesome! It Pleases Me that YOU are PLeased!

Good luck with your continued success!