MEMBER LOGIN

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Cable Upright Rows / Cable Shrugs

Just curious on peoples opinions with the Cable Upright Rows and Cable Shrugs.
    It seems to be a great movement, basically the same as with a Dumbell/Barbell.

Who here uses them? Effective?
    Consistency is the key

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Never thought about cable shrugs, i'll be trying these next week!

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Scrutiny View Post
    Just curious on peoples opinions with the Cable Upright Rows and Cable Shrugs.
    It seems to be a great movement, basically the same as with a Dumbell/Barbell.

Who here uses them? Effective?
    Hey brother, I really like cable upright rows, that an also smith machine upright rows I found it much more to my liking than the traditional way, as for cable shrugs i have never tried them.

Just give 'em a shot see how you like them
    HEY! Do You Need a Great Ab Workout? Try My Personal Routine its Like Doing Crunches in an ELECTRICAL STORM!!! Your Abs Will be Made of Lightning !!!REAL LIGHTNING!!!
    Or Maybe You Seek More Knowledge? Check in & Post Regularly & Eventually You'll be as Smart as DOUG! You'll Type as Fast as DOUG! Members Will See Your Rep & Post Count & Think You are DOUG! You'll Have Debates in Threads With the Actual DOUG! Until the Time Comes That we Get sick of You & Deport you Back to !!!DOUGLAND!!!
    Remember Here at Muscle & Strength We are 100% NATURAL!!! So if You Want to Discuss illegal & Banned Substances We Will All Say F@$K YOU! and Kick You in the Face With our !!!ENERGY LEGS!!!

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Hey brother, I really like cable upright rows, that an also smith machine upright rows I found it much more to my liking than the traditional way, as for cable shrugs i have never tried them.

Just give 'em a shot see how you like them
    Ahh ok cool.

I just thought cable shrugs and cable upright rows for convenience, and since the movement is identical with dumbells/barbells anyway.
    I've tried cable shrugs a few months ago, and i found the traps felt kicked after

Barbell upright rows feel annoying too lol
    Consistency is the key

• Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Ahh ok cool.

I just thought cable shrugs and cable upright rows for convenience, and since the movement is identical with dumbells/barbells anyway.
    I've tried cable shrugs a few months ago, and i found the traps felt kicked after

Barbell upright rows feel annoying too lol
    hello instead of machine upright row,can i lift a 30 kg plate for upright row?because when i do machine upright row...there is lot of pain in the wrist.....while pulling....
    Thanks & Regards
    Karande

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Both re great and effective i had tried both and im doin those exercises too in my routine =)

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

I have tried both. I find it easier to hold the bars with cable shrugs, when apposed to db shrugs.

I think they are both good, but i think due to the nature of gravity when applied to both cables and just db/bb, there are some differences. You see, with cables, the weight force isnt pulled vertically down, the line of force is along the direction of the cable. Whereas with db/bb, the weight is always vertically down. So i think they target slightly different muscle groups? Because your muscles pull/push weight in different directions relative to your body.
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler

• Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Thanks a lot.......i use 20 kg plate alternate to machine upright row.....there is lot of pain in the wrist and in center of the forearm while using machine upright row.....
    Thanks & Regards
    Karande

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Quote Originally Posted by karande View Post
    Thanks a lot.......i use 20 kg plate alternate to machine upright row.....there is lot of pain in the wrist and in center of the forearm while using machine upright row.....
    Sounds to me like your hands are too close together. They should be more or less shoulder width apart i think? Well thats how i do them, someone correct me if its wrong.
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Are you trying to perform too much weight?

As Spartigus touched up on your hands may be too close, also take a look at the exercise here for clear directions and instructions on how to perform the exercise.
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/exe...right-row.html

The spacing of the hands on the upright row should be slightly closer than shoulder width apart, as this will help isolate your Traps/Shoulders to the best effect without placing the emphasis on other muscles.

Karande try performing some basic wrist stretches before you perform the upright row, and make sure you are not using too heavy of a weight.
    Consistency is the key

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

As Spartigus touched up on your hands may be too close, also take a look at the exercise here for clear directions and instructions on how to perform the exercise.

The spacing of the hands on the upright row should be slightly closer than shoulder width apart, as this will help isolate your Traps/Shoulders to the best effect without placing the emphasis on other muscles.

Karande try performing some basic wrist stretches before you perform the upright row, and make sure you are not using too heavy of a weight.
    As well as doing that, try and warm up your rotary cuffs too

• Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Even if i use 5 or 10 kg(machine upright row)there is lot of pain in the center of the forearm...i lift a single 20 kg plate with both mine wrist and do the exercise.....with lesser pain...i think this is very good alternate exercise for barbell or machine upright row......
    Thanks & Regards
    Karande

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Even if i use 5 or 10 kg(machine upright row)there is lot of pain in the center of the forearm...i lift a single 20 kg plate with both mine wrist and do the exercise.....with lesser pain...i think this is very good alternate exercise for barbell or machine upright row......
    It can't be a good alternative if it causes you pain. Like I said, it could be that the use of a weight plate causes your hands too be close together. If your holding a 20kg weight plate to do upright rows, there is no way you are holding your hands far enough apart.

Edit: a good alternative is to use a dumbell in each hand to do upright rows, that way your hands are further apart

• Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Spartigus View Post
    It can't be a good alternative if it causes you pain. Like I said, it could be that the use of a weight plate causes your hands too be close together. If your holding a 20kg weight plate to do upright rows, there is no way you are holding your hands far enough apart.

Edit: a good alternative is to use a dumbbell in each hand to do upright rows, that way your hands are further apart
    If i use dumbbell there will be pain in mine wrist and in the center of the forearm....little pain while holding a plate......
    Thanks & Regards
    Karande

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

If i use dumbbell there will be pain in mine wrist and in the center of the forearm....little pain while holding a plate......
    Karande, post up your injury problems in this section:
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/forum/injuries/

Yitmy and/or other qualified trainers/physio's will be able to give you a hand.
    Consistency is the key