MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Beginner questions

Well first off, thank you for any insight you can give me.

Well first let me explain a little about my body type. I am 26 years old, 5'10 and I have ALWAYS been around 140-145 pounds for as long as I can remember. Well in the last year or so I have started to gain a little weight. It is all appearing in the stomach region. I currently weigh about 153 pounds but that extra 8-13 pounds is appearing all in my stomach. A skinny guy with some stomach is a nasty sight, at least in my own opinion. So now that my body decided to finally start showing it's age, I have decided to show it a thing or two and have started working out. My goal is to build strength and to make my body look better. I was once in the army and i was extremely tone but i was still skinny and 145 pounds. I understand that lifting more weight fewer reps will help build muscle instead of the army's thousands of push ups and sit ups. I am following the beginner 3 day workout schedule to a T, but adding ab cardio every single day and I play a full 90 minute soccer game twice a week. One of my concerns is that I want to completely get rid of any flab on my stomach but build my upper body strength and appearance. Is this possible? Am I following an applicable workout pattern? Any other advise anyone can give me on my odd body type and any thing else would be very appreciated. I have read almost every related subject matter within the site but hearing it first hand is WAY more helpful to me. Thanks again!

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Migglesworth View Post
    Well first off, thank you for any insight you can give me.

Well first let me explain a little about my body type. I am 26 years old, 5'10 and I have ALWAYS been around 140-145 pounds for as long as I can remember. Well in the last year or so I have started to gain a little weight. It is all appearing in the stomach region. I currently weigh about 153 pounds but that extra 8-13 pounds is appearing all in my stomach. A skinny guy with some stomach is a nasty sight, at least in my own opinion. So now that my body decided to finally start showing it's age, I have decided to show it a thing or two and have started working out. My goal is to build strength and to make my body look better. I was once in the army and i was extremely tone but i was still skinny and 145 pounds. I understand that lifting more weight fewer reps will help build muscle instead of the army's thousands of push ups and sit ups. I am following the beginner 3 day workout schedule to a T, but adding ab cardio every single day and I play a full 90 minute soccer game twice a week. One of my concerns is that I want to completely get rid of any flab on my stomach but build my upper body strength and appearance. Is this possible? Am I following an applicable workout pattern? Any other advise anyone can give me on my odd body type and any thing else would be very appreciated. I have read almost every related subject matter within the site but hearing it first hand is WAY more helpful to me. Thanks again!
    Hi welcome to the forum..

You dont say what age you are..??

Firstly have a look at This Calculator to work out how many calories you require per day.

Your food intake is important to achieving your goals, so have a look at This Article for sorting your food intake out..

With a combination of your training and your food, you should achieve your goals....
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Yeah I've done the calculator and it is about 2400 calories per day. My main concern is that I really want to get rid of this little belly I got going on. Is muscle gain possible while still losing the fat in my stomach?

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Yeah I've done the calculator and it is about 2400 calories per day. My main concern is that I really want to get rid of this little belly I got going on. Is muscle gain possible while still losing the fat in my stomach?
    You will find that once you eat "good" foods and divide the calories into six meals per day that the metabolism will speed up anyway, that combined with your training will lose some bodyfat, unless you either eat the wrong foods or eat too much....monitor the body and see how it reacts to the food..
    Doug

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Damn you're quick! Thanks for the good advice Doug. Dividing my meals to 6 per day is gonna be rough but it is for a good cause. Thanks again.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Damn you're quick! Thanks for the good advice Doug. Dividing my meals to 6 per day is gonna be rough but it is for a good cause. Thanks again.
    You will manage it if you want to...lol

Keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on, any questions then post them uip.....good luck
    Doug

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

If you struggle to fit in all those meals, you can always substitute one with a protein shake and sum easy preparing carbs, like a low fat cereal bar or sum wholemeal bread etc.
    Currently using - Whey protein concentrate 80% pure, unflavoured 4.5kg tub, Multivitamins + Iron, Arginine ethyl ester HCL, food food food =)
    Currently 68kg 7% bodyfat.