MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Get Huge

Default bady fat loss+muscle gain=no weight gain?

I am a very odd predicament. I have been focusing more on strength training rather than losing weight for the past two months. My calorie/protein/carb/Fat intake has increased as well as my workout. I can see visible signs in my body that I am gainnig more muscle mass and I am getting leaner, but I have yet to gain more than 3 pinds of weight. Is it possible that my body is basically evening itself out, getting rid of fat in exchange for muscle?

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Performance

In short yes. However muscle does weigh more than fat. What calories per day are you currently taking, what is your height and weight, what workout are you currently doing? The answer might lie in one of these. Post em up and lets have a look.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Stahl7639 View Post
    I am a very odd predicament. I have been focusing more on strength training rather than losing weight for the past two months. My calorie/protein/carb/Fat intake has increased as well as my workout. I can see visible signs in my body that I am gainnig more muscle mass and I am getting leaner, but I have yet to gain more than 3 pinds of weight. Is it possible that my body is basically evening itself out, getting rid of fat in exchange for muscle?
    Like Macca replied...Yes.

When you lose fat and gain muscle you can stay the same weight, ie, lose 2lb of fat and gain 2lb of muscle. The only difference is the volume, 1 lb of fat takes up five times the space that 1 lb of muscle would take...
    Last edited by Doug; 07-13-2007 at 12:10 PM.
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Get Huge

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    In short yes. However muscle does weigh more than fat. What calories per day are you currently taking, what is your height and weight, what workout are you currently doing? The answer might lie in one of these. Post em up and lets have a look.
    I am currently taking in between 1500-1700 calories a day. I am eating 5 meals a day with 25+g of protein in each meal. I weigh 141 pounds and am 6ft tall. I am currently doing a routine that consists of squats, benchpress, curls, etc. I am mainly focusing on my upper body,such as biceps, pecs, and so on. I workout for a hour and a half 4 days a week.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      More Strength

This was my situation a few months ago but now i am seeing visible gains and gains on the scale, although i need to get rid of quite a bit offat.

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Other

I am currently taking in between 1500-1700 calories a day. I am eating 5 meals a day with 25+g of protein in each meal. I weigh 141 pounds and am 6ft tall. I am currently doing a routine that consists of squats, benchpress, curls, etc. I am mainly focusing on my upper body,such as biceps, pecs, and so on. I workout for a hour and a half 4 days a week.
    Two things jumped out at me right away - you're way low on calories, even on a cutting regimine I would recommend 2100 - 2200 a day.
    I would guess you need to up your carb intake the most - maybe add 5 grams more protein to each meal if you stay at 5 meals, or do a protein shake/drink after training and get in 25-30 grams then.
    On off days - just take a shake before bed to help keep the numbers up.

The second thing is that you should not be training that long each day that you train AND you may be overtraining depending on what body parts you are working each of those days.
    I recommend only training the same large area body part -chest,back,legs - twice a week. Smaller areas like shoulders, arms only once per week.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Failure to Plan is Planning to Fail
    What's your plan?
    Yes, I am a Moderator

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Performance

I am mainly focusing on my upper body,such as biceps, pecs, and so on.
    And the old chestnut - you won't make the same gains without training the legs hard. They hit a variety of supporting muscles while being trained and get the whole metabolism going. You are only holding back upped body gains by not giving equal attention to the legs. Have a look in the workout section for a good routine that suits your needs.
    Live every day as if it's your last. Because one day you will be right.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Hi, your intake of calories is lacking if you want to put muscle on, (At 141 lbs your resting metabolic rate would require 1700 approx) your intake of calories depending on how many days you train, daily physical activities, etc, but I would estimate that your calorie intake to be about 2500+ calories per day.

Which would give you a PCF ratio of nutrients:
    Protein, 187g per day, 31g per meal x 6 meals per day
    Carbs, 312g per day, 52g per meal x 6 meals per day
    Fats, 55g per day, 11g per meal x 5 meals per day, (no fat in after training meal or drink)
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"