MEMBER LOGIN

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Arrow Question about Carbs/WeightTraining/FatLoss

I'm looking to cut fat off my physique as much as i can. I'm 28 years old, been training at the gym for 3 years now, previously having done alot of cardio with an ok diet (good nutrition with numerous bad habits). I did a good amount of weight training for the past 3 years too, so my strength is decent. I'm decent shape, about 6 feet and weigh about 215 pounds, and ready to get rid of the stupid fat around my stomach (and underneath my friggin chin!)

My understanding and current strategy is as follows:

To best lose fat, a high metabolism is required. The best ways of promoting metabolism is constant fueling of the body with protein (small meals, each with protein) and muscle. By muscle, i mean maintaining and building muscle since those actively contribute to the metabolism and burn fat. Also, "calorie deficit" is a term that continues to ring in my mind throughout the day. By calorie defecit, i don't mean starving. I'm refering to eating super lean (egg whites, spinach, plain white chicken meat, fish, etc).

I'm pretty sure the above is mostly accurate. My confusion is as follows:

If i want to really lose fat, what should i do with carbs? I don't think full out atkins diet is a good idea. Instead, I eat dietary fibres liberally (green vegetables, fruits, etc) and miscellaneous sources (like soy milk & plain yogurt), but still leer at carbs like bread, rice, pasta and etc. I understand that they are required for building muscle but not sure if they would interfere with actual fat loss.

Is it safe to eat plenty of carbs just in the morning do weight training and still expect reasonable muscle gain + weight loss, while maintaining an extremely lean diet with lots of protein. I guess you could rephrase it as : Can you still put on muscle and get rid of fat at the same time? I've read about bulking with a high calorie diet and then cutting down after. I'm not sure how convincing that sounds to me.

What about increasing carb intake on days that contain weight training and days off cut down on carbs heavily?

Thanks!

BGD - Superset Superman muscletrainerdh's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

It's really not the carbs, it's the calories.

Figure out your BMR
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/too...alculator.html

Subtract 500 calories or a percentage (20%) from that number

Create and maintain a calorie deficit. That is where fat loss begins.

The exercise and cardio on top of that is just extra calorie burn (making the deficit bigger)

Since youv'e been training for 3 years, it is very unlikely that you would experience the type of newbie gains where muscle increases as fat is lost.

So the game you have to play now is maintaining the muscle you already have as you lose "The Belly"

If i want to really lose fat, what should i do with carbs?
    ## Eat them, but don't OVER EAT them! Make sure you stay within the calorie deficit parameters you set for yourself.

Is it safe to eat plenty of carbs just in the morning do weight training and still expect reasonable muscle gain + weight loss, while maintaining an extremely lean diet with lots of protein. I guess you could rephrase it as : Can you still put on muscle and get rid of fat at the same time?
    ## Like I said above, you are way past the "NEwbie" gains of being able to generate a substantial amount of muscle mass *AND* lose fat at the same time.

I've read about bulking with a high calorie diet and then cutting down after. I'm not sure how convincing that sounds to me.
    ## You *CAN* limit the amount of fat gained on a BULK by paying attention to your diet.

What about increasing carb intake on days that contain weight training and days off cut down on carbs heavily?
    ## Carb Cycling has been very popular, but ultimately it's not the carbs but the calories that are making the difference.
    Good Luck,

Dave
    Last edited by muscletrainerdh; 12-04-2009 at 12:38 PM.
    POWER LEVEL: 54,481

Sarcasm and Cynicism are not helpful or attractive traits, respond to posts as you wish to be responded to.