MEMBER LOGIN

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MMA workout!

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Quote Originally Posted by brian62275 View Post
    lol.....so wearing an MMA shirt makes one a poseur simply because they dont actually do it themselves?

Wow, i thought that kind of thinking got left behind in high school? Guess not...
    He deasnt mean that. Some people wear Tap Out tshirts and think it makes them look tough, just like people go to the gym and work their arms and chest every day and think they are big.
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

Sooo here's a routine we all use to do at my gym to spice things up on conditioning.

10 min warmup of skipping rope
    1 minute of standing military press w/ bar
    1 minute of overhead lunges w/ bar
    1 minute of focus mitts (sounds like a breather but after press and OH lunges your arms are really heavy)
    1 minute of bob/weave w/ sprawl drills
    1 minute of bag pick up/bag slams at opposite end of room

When I was training for fighting I generally followed an upper/lower split usually 3 sometimes 4 days a week depending on energy levels and how far or close upcoming fights were. But I trained at my gym 5 days a week on top of 3-4 days of weight lifting. I knew some guys who worked out no more than once for upper and once for lower a week and it seemed to work out quite well for them.

For fight specific training I believe a lot of it comes down to how much workload an individual can withstand and recover from. I knew guys who were always too dead to workout after training and others who couldn't wait to hit the gym. I was an inbetweener I guess.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

I love Tapout fanboys btw. Whose closest thing to a real fight is wrestling their weewee out of their jeans in the mornings

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Quote Originally Posted by Spartigus View Post
    He deasnt mean that. Some people wear Tap Out tshirts and think it makes them look tough, just like people go to the gym and work their arms and chest every day and think they are big.
    Maybe, but when he said alot of the time its posers, that kinda makes me think hes being a bit exclusive about clothing...

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Quote Originally Posted by W1kk3d21 View Post
    I love Tapout fanboys btw. Whose closest thing to a real fight is wrestling their weewee out of their jeans in the mornings
    Some people enjoy getting into fights...some people enjoy being secure in who they are and not having to prove their manhood, thus using their time doing more interesting things, like MMA guy's girlfriends

M&S Elite Member
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Fwiw, this is far and away the best thread I've ever seen re: mma specific conditioning...

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/ho...roblem-788235/

Some pretty amazing info in there.

e.g. (by ts - EZA)

"I'll give an example of one of the principles I'm talking about and then you can feel free to decide for yourself if I know my **** or if I'm wasting your time with such posts or not.

The MMA Conditioning example I'll use to give a better idea of what I'm talking about and give you practical advice is the principle of eccentric vs. concentric cardiac hypertrophy. While it's obvious that the cardiovascular system (your heart and peripheral vascular network) is responsible for the delivery of oxygenated blood to your working muscles, most athletes and coaches aren't aware of exactly how your training methods cause distinct and specific changes to your heart itself.

How you train (heart rates, volume, loading, etc.) determines exactly which type of cardiac adaptation takes place and is one of the most important factors that determines your conditioning levels.

First, it's important to understand that there are many properties of the heart that determine how well it functions and how well it's able to do its job.

The volume of your heart chambers (most importantly the size of the left ventricle), thickness of the cardiac walls, the specific isozymes of myocytes (types of cardiac muscle cells) the sympathetic vs. parasympathetic tone, etc. are all important regulatory factors that determine how much blood your heart is able to deliver.

Obviously the more blood your heart and vascular network is able to supply to your working muscles (cardiac output) the better your conditioning will be - up to the point that cardiac supply is no longer the limiting factor at least.

There are two categories of structural changes, known as concentric and eccentric hypertrophy, that take place in your heart as a result of how you train. Which category of hypertrophy you have plays a large role in your cardiac output and thus how well conditioned you are.

Eccentric hypertrophy is largely the result of high volume, low intensity, and low pressure training that typically takes place in endurance training programs. This kind of hypertrophy results in greater left ventricular volume and increased blood volume per stroke. This means that every time your heart beats it’s able to deliver a greater amount of blood and thus your resting and working heart rates are lower.

Concentric hypertrophy primarily takes place under high load, higher intensity, high pressure (high resistance) training like that of Powerlifters, Weightlifters, and Wrestlers. Concentric hypertrophy means the heart’s walls are thicker, meaning they are able to contract with greater velocity, but the chamber volumes themselves are often not any larger than average.

This means that although the heart may be stronger, cardiac output is not improved much, if at all, and the heart must work harder to deliver the necessary blood. The end result is your power can be higher, but you will fatigue much faster.

Keep in mind that thicker walls also means they are more resistant to stretching and makes it much more difficult to increase cardiac output.

Fighters who have the characteristics of eccentric hypertrophy will typically have fairly good endurance (although this depends on many other factors as well) but they will lack power, especially at higher intensities. Those with concentric properties will tend to have greater power but lack endurance and will gas much more quickly.

Training to improve your conditioning depends greatly on your specific cardiac system development. Fighters who have low cardiac output are limited by their heart’s ability to deliver oxygen and their conditioning methods should be completely different from those who have good cardiac output. Using the wrong training strategies can reduce your conditioning potential by causing too much concentric hypertrophy – as well as other negative adaptations.

The average person can get an idea of where their development lies by looking at their resting heart rate and their heart rate response to increasing intensity of activity. In my experience coaching, the optimal resting heart rates for fighters in the UFC (3-5 x 5 min rounds) is in the upper 40s to mid 50s beats per minute. Because of the longer 10 minute round, the well conditioned Pride fighters I worked with typically had lower resting heart rates (mid to upper 40s and low 50s). I also use a series of heart rate conditioning tests that are very informative as well.

Keep in mind this is only one part of the conditioning equation, but it is a very important part and is a good example of why following a generic conditioning program is unlikely to lead to the best results.

How you train leads to very specific changes in the cardiovascular system, the central and peripheral nervous system, within the muscle tissue itself, etc. For some people following high volume low intensity GPP type programs will work miracles, for others they won’t do much at all.

Likewise, sometimes high intensity intervals are absolutely great, and sometimes they are completely the wrong thing to do and will do more harm than good in the long run.

The key is knowing when and how to use the right methods at the right times. Conditioning and training in general is a science, not a guessing game or a crapshoot.

This is just one aspect of conditioning but I hope it gives a better idea of the principle of metbolic specificity I was introducing in my original post. I did not intend to be condescending to any others on this forum or elsewhere, but there are many so called gurus around the internet these days selling MMA Conditioning programs that should have no business doing so and those are the people I am sketpical of.

If you have no interest in this topic or think I'm waisting your time because you have conditioning all figured out then don't read the post.

If anyone has any specific questions or wants more info, feel free to ask or contact me directly."
    Last edited by dodgybob; 09-10-2011 at 09:40 PM.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

Quote Originally Posted by brian62275 View Post
    Some people enjoy getting into fights...some people enjoy being secure in who they are and not having to prove their manhood, thus using their time doing more interesting things, like MMA guy's girlfriends
    Well played good sir. You have a very valid point!

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Quote Originally Posted by W1kk3d21 View Post
    Well played good sir. You have a very valid point!
    Glad you have a good sense of humor to roll with it, that speaks well of you!

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Not bad, i've been training for years and i'm just starting to compete in the cage. My biggest background is in Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu which, even on their own without weights, will get you looking very lean. Due to a move to New York, i've switched to Shorin Ryu Karate, Boxing, and Judo.
    My current workout looks like this:
    Monday: all Push exercises
    - Chest
    - Shoulders
    - Triceps
    Tuesday: all Pull exercises and Cardio
    - Back
    - Biceps
    Wednesday: Kicks and Crunches
    - Abs
    - Legs
    Thursday: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
    Friday: Back, Biceps, Cardio
    Saturday: Kicks and Crunches
    Sunday: Cardio

i've learned to focus on the Shoulders, Chest, Triceps and Abs and Legs the most, but its better to get a solid workout for your entire body.
    i've gotten very big, but my lifting keeps me strong but not too big.
    i have Karate 4 days a week, and Boxing and Judo 6 days a week.

I hope this helped!

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Quote Originally Posted by scohen95 View Post
    Not bad, i've been training for years and i'm just starting to compete in the cage. My biggest background is in Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu which, even on their own without weights, will get you looking very lean. Due to a move to New York, i've switched to Shorin Ryu Karate, Boxing, and Judo.
    My current workout looks like this:
    Monday: all Push exercises
    - Chest
    - Shoulders
    - Triceps
    Tuesday: all Pull exercises and Cardio
    - Back
    - Biceps
    Wednesday: Kicks and Crunches
    - Abs
    - Legs
    Thursday: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
    Friday: Back, Biceps, Cardio
    Saturday: Kicks and Crunches
    Sunday: Cardio

i've learned to focus on the Shoulders, Chest, Triceps and Abs and Legs the most, but its better to get a solid workout for your entire body.
    i've gotten very big, but my lifting keeps me strong but not too big.
    i have Karate 4 days a week, and Boxing and Judo 6 days a week.

I hope this helped!
    If you're in New York why dont you go train with Renzo Gracie?
    Everything wrestling, BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing & MMA.
    Full time Super Saiyan.

Lady Lake CrossFit Owner bbaker352's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit

I really like Jodo. Took Kodokan Judo for years. Very good if you can get your hands on him! Even better with BJJ mixed in with it. Even better better if you have some sort of standup...lol
    Bryan
    "You will learn by the numbers. I will teach you!"

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Performance

Quote Originally Posted by bbaker352 View Post
    I really like Jodo. Took Kodokan Judo for years. Very good if you can get your hands on him! Even better with BJJ mixed in with it. Even better better if you have some sort of standup...lol
    I love judo!

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Other

I found this post again recently and want to say it was not me posting the reply of knowing all those people or arguing so crazy. There were a few people during that time that could have been trolling my account and I was totally not aware. I wanted to make sure my name is clear on that factor and that during that time I only knew of a few people on that list or spoke to them and some of them I actually had no contact with! I apologize for any issues that this may have caused or how it could have made me look. I really did want to make sure that my name is clear and it is stated I did not train with these people.

I have spoken with Clint often but never trained with him and only had my diet done by Shelby.

Again, none of these people were associated with me nor I was with them.

The views on training were some of my ideas but obviously butchered and made very extreme.

I also did not have a high rank competing in anything... I am disgusted of how this came to be and am looking into have an administrator fix the issues.
    Last edited by OmegaWolf; 11-09-2014 at 06:57 PM.

Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaWolf View Post
    I found this post recentlly and want to say it was not me posting the reply of knowing all those people or arguing so crazy. There were a few people during that time that could have been trolling my account and I was totally not aware. I wanted to make sure my name is clear on that factor and that during that time I only knew of a few people on that list or spoke to them and some of them I actually had no contact with! I apologize for any issues that this may have caused or how it could have made me look. I really did want to make sure that my name is clear and it is stated I did not train with these people.

I have spoken with Clint often but never trained with him and only had my diet done by Shelby.

Again, none of these people were associated with me nor I was with them.

The views on training were some of my ideas but obviously butchered and made very extreme.

I also did not have a high rank competing in anything... I am disgusted of how this came to be and am looking into have an administrator fix the issues.
    Also make sure you change your password to the site, if you haven't already done so; if someone did hack your account, it's likely they still know the password that was in use at the time.
    1-Finger Deadlift, 1RM: 80.3lbs/36.5kg

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Quote Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
    Also make sure you change your password to the site, if you haven't already done so; if someone did hack your account, it's likely they still know the password that was in use at the time.
    It has been since that time. I found more and more stuff that was not me. I also made a post in general that some posts on this name were not mine. I am sure it was while they must have been over as I did have an open lap top policy for friends, and this happened to a few other things back then.

I just want to be sure my name is clear as I begin to move into this field professionally (academically). I planned on having my account deleted, but if there can be a move forward that may be best.
    Last edited by OmegaWolf; 11-10-2014 at 12:03 AM.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit

@DannyT,

Great thread started. MMA workout very much important for all the MMA fighters.