MEMBER LOGIN

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Get Fit

Sorry, just found the Home Workout stuff.

Seasoned M&S Veteran BLITZKRIEG's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by MikeandStacey View Post
    Sorry, just found the Home Workout stuff.
    That's ok Mike. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Welcome to M&S, Good luck on both your goals
    "Your Health Is Your Wealth"
    Age 36 Height 5' 7"
    Current (3-1-10) BW 158.5 Lbs BF% 21.4
    Previous (2-11-10) BW 154 Lbs BF% 22.2
    Present Goal: Keep Training

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Get Fit

Ive worked out on and off for the past year, doing split routines that I made up, but I never did a beginner full body routine. I stopped working out for about a month when I got sick. Ive been better, but haven't gotten back into the gym. Do you think I should do a beginner routine, since Ive never done one?
    Last edited by Blitzkrygier; 03-14-2010 at 12:57 PM.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Tone Up

Awesome Thread - The various links you have included have given me lots to read and understand and some great ideas on how to improve my training.

Thanks for taking the time to post it!

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Smile Great Job

Thanks, Really Great Post. I used to go to the gym (for fun) doing whatever. Getting used to the Gym. I want to get into it more seriously (but I really find it fun still) and this really helped. Thanks!

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Default Beginners Supplements

I couldn't agree more about the supplements for a beginner. I've worked in nutrition stores and managed a health club and often see people trying to get results through products rather than hard work. A good Whey protein, Whole food multi, and I also suggest Glutamine. Glutamine is dirt cheap and is used for so many functions in your body that I recomend EVERYONE use this supplement regardless of goal (gaining or cutting) and experience level.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Thanks, this is great info and I'm ready to get back into working out.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Get Fit

Default Sets

Very basic question regarding sets. The routine I chose has 7 excercises with three sets each. Do I rotate through the 7 excercises 3 times or do I do each excercise three times before moving to the next excercise? If the answer is do the same excercise all three time before moving on, how much rest between sets?

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Default sets and reps

You can do either. 7 exercises with 3 sets of each is 21 total sets. That might be a lot depending on your body type and what your goals are. You might try around 12 total sets per muscle give or take depending on how you feel at the time. Exception to this is circuit training the whole body.

I do my workout starting with one exercise and finishing it before moving on to the next most of the time. If I am training two different muscles I will switch between them each set to keep moving.

On occasion I will go through one set of each and then start again just for the change but it becomes a huge pain in the A** if you are at a regular gym because there is no way to keep all of the equipment for yourself and then you have to wait on other people to finish up every time you change exercise.
    Science, Innovation, Quality, Results.
    Allmax Forum Rep

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

A little off of the supplements, I'm a meek 160lbs at 6'6" and have tried to start weightlifting a few times in the past, but would find that I wasn't even working the right muscles with the designated exercise. I saw the links to the beginners workouts so my question is..

Should I really start with those routines and just start really light or should I be doing bodyweight exercises at home before I even hit the weights?

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

help me out fellas..

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...s-workout.html

is this program fits me? coz i wanted to gain weight and muscle and il be starting working out just tomorrow, i wanted to get rid of my skinny body!

advices please. thnx2

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by ectomorphicjay View Post
    help me out fellas..

is this program fits me? coz i wanted to gain weight and muscle and il be starting working out just tomorrow, i wanted to get rid of my skinny body!

advices please. thnx2
    Hi welcome to the forum

Have a read of the information contained in This thread it will provide some great information for newcomers.
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Quote Originally Posted by EKnight View Post
    Add a multivitamin-- NOT Centrum or One-a-day to the supps. More important than whey! -EK
    What multi-vitamin do you recommend? Whats wrong with centrum?

• Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

Hello!

Please tell me! If I want to loose weight immediately what type of powder should I use???

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Quote Originally Posted by gelong View Post
    Personally, I like Solgar V-75. Many on here use those as well as a few others. Centrum has a lot of filler in them.
    Cheers! Dave

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

Originally Posted by EKnight
    Add a multivitamin-- NOT Centrum or One-a-day to the supps. More important than whey! -EK

BTW, what ever happened to EKnight...is he gone

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal

Quote Originally Posted by CptKnuckles View Post
    Hello everybody,
    I am making this post because I see far too many people coming on the site and asking where do they start, how do they start and what they need to do to get fit. So I'm going to try and make a step by step guide of what you should do when you join this site and link some useful articles from the site. Hopefully this will help some people get started working out. (I used benchpress in all of my examples because it's an exercise I think everyone knows) Also anyone have any ideas, corrections to add please say so and I will add them in.

Step 1) Choose a routine
    If you are a begginer or you have taken a break from working out (more than a year pause) you should start with a begginer routine. Even if you had been working out for 2 years before that or however long, it doesn't matter start with a begginer routine because you're muscles aren't used to it... then move up to a different routine.

3 day a week routines:
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...g-workout.html

2 day a week routines:
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...g-routine.html
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...-by-steve.html

Step 2) Learn how to do the exercises in the routine correctly
    To do this it's pretty simple start with low weights. Leave your ego at the door, you're not trying to impress anybody. If you lift heavier weights than you should be you're only making a fool of yourself by looking like a wannabe. So start very light, get the form down to a tee and start moving up the weight week by week. Ideally you should be increasing the difficulty of the exercise every week. This can be done in several ways:
    Increasing weights
    Increasing repetitions (number of times you lift the weight)
    Slowing down your repetitions

Exercises:
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/exercises/main.html
    You can also youtube them or google them. Just type in the name of the exercise you're looking for and technique or how to do (whatever exercise it is)

Step 3) Basic techniques for all exercises
    Breathing
    Breathe out when you're exerting force, breathe in when you're not. Simple? Yes, but yet so many people forget to breathe when they're lifting.
    Timing
    A good timing for your repetitions is the 2-1-2. It means that in the exercise you are performing you should be lowering the weight for 2 secs, pausing and contracting whichever muscle you are working for 1 second and then lift it for 2 seconds. Sometimes you should be contracting the muscle at the bottom of your exercise sometimes it will be at the top, pretty much common sense will answer when you are capable of contracting. Like in the bench press at the bottom of the movement you can't contract (try it I can't explain why you can't) but at the top of the movement you can contract the chest.
    This is also known as the mind-muscle connection and you will eventually be able to contract whatever muscle you think of without contracting the others. http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...-together.html
    Locking out
    In no exercise should you lock out your joints, for example if you are benchpressing you shouldn't completely extend your arms because this will put unnecessary strain on the joints and take away weight from your muscles taking pressure off of them. (build muscles slower, possible injury)
    Warm up
    You must do a 5 minute warmup before you start lifting. Lots of people don't but I think it's a really bad idea to start lifting weights cold. Also recommend doing a light warm up set of whatever exercise it is youre going to do. So lets say you bench 130 pounds normally, do one set of 60 pounds. (A set is just doing a certain number of repetitions)
    Stretching
    Stretching the muscles you are about to work out for about 5 minutes and in between exercises if they feel sore I think is necessary.
    Rest
    Between each exercise, and between the different sets of each exercise you should rest around a minute to a minute and a half.

Step 4) Decide if you are "bulking" or "cutting"
    Fancy words for saying if you want to lose fat or gain muscle (you can't do both at the same time) If you want to lose fat, you might lose a bit of muscle. If you want to gain muscle you will gain a little bit of fat. Once you've made up your mind on that go on to step 5.

Step 5) Create a diet plan according to your goals
    To me this is the hardest step and the one that requires the most time. I recommend you learn about nutrition but unless you want to spend some time with this get a nutritionist to make one for you. That being said I think it is better if you make one yourself because of the learning experience that you will have for the rest of your life. So if you are "cutting" you would calculate your BMR (how many calories you should eat each day) here: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/too...alculator.html
    And whatever number you get subtract 500 to that and the result is how many calories you should be eating daily to lose a pound a week. Lots of you will think but my cousing or uncle or whoever lost 12 pounds in two weeks, or whatever number you want. The thing is you can only lose a maximum of 2 pounds of fat per week, so all the rest of the weight he lost was muscle (muscle that you want, and that helps you get your metabomalism running faster) Also give him some time and you'll notice how he'll put back on the weight as soon as he gets off the diet plus some more.
    If you are "bulking" calculate your BMR and add 500 to that number to gain a pound a week.

Of course you will need to tweak your diet because this is just an estimate and everyone is different. But most important is to not stress too much about how many calories you're eating a day. Consider this to be more of a lifestyle eating change instead of going "on a diet" because once you go on a diet eventually you're going to go "off the diet"

Step 6) Set goals
    To do this get a journal, and write down how much you're lifting each session, how long you're session lasts and give it a grade. And next session try and beat your last personal record in any of the ways stated in step 2. Those would be your short term goals, and you can make other short term goals like in 3 weeks I want to have increased my benchpress by 10 pounds.
    Long term goals are more complicated and will need more reading to learn how to set them, http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...ion-guide.html that is an excellent article that pretty much explains everything you have to do. Another great article on learning how to set goals http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...-you-want.html

Step 7) Supplements
    If you are starting to work out the only supplement you should really take is whey protein for your post work out shake. And on off days take one as soon as you wake up before breakfast. I won't post reasons because it would be too long and that's not the purpose of this post.
    For a begginer creatine isn't as necessary as whey protein, so save the creatine for when you need that extra help to take your body to a new level.
    Multivitamin is also a very good supplement to take especially if you have only one diet that you follow every day since the odds of you getting all the vitamins you need from the same food source are slim especially if you're not an expert.

Step 8) Rest
    You should be sleeping ideally between 8 to 10 hours, although most people will recommend 7 to 8 as a good goal. Another point many begginers fail to realize is that going to the gym won't help you grow faster in fact it will do just the opposite. So stick to the begginer routine and do only what it says to do in the routine don't add anything to it. Here are some of the most common begginer mistakes http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...beginners.html And some common lifting myths http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...ain-myths.html

Step 9) READ!!
    I have posted very few links to articles on this site but just read all you can it's what will help you the most. So here are some links to other sites that are helpful that aren't so easy to find.
    http://www.thedailyplate.com/ A site that tells you the nutrition information about foods and lets you keep a diet journal
    http://www.briancalkins.com/HeartRate.htm Calculate your maximum heart rate to help you know at what intensity you are training while doing cardio. (this method uses your resting heart rate which you take as soon as you wake up
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/criticalbench19.htm I might get some hate for posting an article from that site, but just because the people on their forums are idiots doesn't mean that they aren't a good source of information with lots of useful articles too.

So that's all I can think of for now any questions, suggestions, corrections feel free to add them and hope this was helpful to someone I had a good time writting it out
    Thanks, this is great for me! Hope my personal trainer isn't gonna be ****ed when I use this instead of paying him lol lol!

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      More Strength

CptKnuckles, dont u think thats better begin with bodyweight workouts?Like push ups, chin ups, pull ups, squats etc? Im a beginner and I made a workout routine myself(after getting some knowlegde with foruns) and thats the workout :

Mon- A
    Tue-Rest
    Wed-B
    Thurs-Rest
    Fri-A
    Sat+Sun-Rest
    Mon-B
    Tue-Rest
    Wed-A
    Thurs-Rest
    Fri-B
    (...)

Workout A

1- Push Ups(3*12) Upper Body
    2- Explosive Push Ups (3*5) Upper Body
    3- Frontal/Lateral Plank(3*max time each) Core
    4- Pseudo Planche Push Ups (3*4) Upper Body
    5- Compass jumps (2min) Lower Body
    6- Burpees(10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1) Total Body

Workout B

1- Chin ups (8*1) Upper Body
    2- Frontal/Lateral Plank(3*max time each) Core
    3- Chin ups Wide Grab (4*1) Upper Body
    4- Back extension (3*Failure) Lumbars
    5- Diamond Push Ups (4*3) Upper Body
    6- Squats (3*Failure) Lower Body

10 secods rest by set
    50 seconds rest between each exercice

Workout C ( On rest days )

1- 30s time Frog hold
    2- 1min Handstand hold with back facing wall
    3- Max free handstand hold
    4- Frog to headstand (5 timesfor each 4 minutes)
    (20min doing this)

Yes, I made some changes but I think its better now.

If u want to help me doing this better, go :
    " http://www.muscleandstrength.com/for...y-workout.html " and comment = D
    14 Years Old
    (july-2010)Height: 173 cm/BW: 59 kg/BF: 8%

• Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Quote Originally Posted by Joaquin View Post
    CptKnuckles, dont u think thats better begin with bodyweight workouts?Like push ups, chin ups, pull ups, squats etc? Im a beginner and I made a workout routine myself(after getting some knowlegde with foruns) and thats the workout :
    It is another option, I just don't believe it's a better one. I believe that the quicker gains will come from inside the gym also if you go to the gym from the start you get used to doing the workouts with light weights and perfect form and that's one of the most important things when starting out.
    If you were to do bodyworkouts first by the time you got to the gym you'd be so eager to lift heavy and workout hard that you'd throw you're technique down the drain and won't start off light like you should.

If you really are that bad on cash I wouldn't recommend going to the gym at all, in that case I would say to do the P90X for example or some other home workout routine since they are cheaper. But still if anyone has the option of choosing I'd choose the gym over home body workouts every single time.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Please help any info would be great

Hey I'm 23 years old 5ft 11 74kg looking for a goal of around 83kg

I go to the Gym around 3/4 days

Trying to make it 5

Iv been taking protein for around 2 years now

At the moment on training days I take 2scoops 44g protein of Optimum Nutrition for breakfast

Before work out one scoop of No-shotgun 18g protein
    After workout one scoop of No-Synthesize 20g protein

On Non training days I Have 2 scoops optimum nutrition in the morning
    and 2 scoops in the evening

Any ideas or suggestions ????

I try my best to have a balanced diet each day also

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Hey Guys-
    I'm 53 yrs. old and am really getting into working out. Being that I play ice hockey with 22-46 yr olds, I need the strength! I did a 3 day full body workout for about 6 mnths and am now doing a split routine 4 days a week for 3 months now. I'm having trouble losing body fat, especially my "love handles". I'm not fat but could use to lose some weight for definition. I'm a little guy, 5'7", about 150 and have a small frame. I'm doing 2-3 protein shakes a day, creatine and glutamine as my supps. I'm trying to eat alot of protein but can't seem to shake the fat. Is it possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time? Could the creatine be hindering my actions to lose fat? Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks...

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

hi there
    i am just starting out, i my body fat is 17.9 %, want to start lifting weights and builing muscle so would i be better to lose bit of weight first or can i still build muscle and lose some fat while lifting?

thanks

• Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Quote Originally Posted by fingerstyleray View Post
    Hey Guys-
    I'm 53 yrs. old and am really getting into working out. Being that I play ice hockey with 22-46 yr olds, I need the strength! I did a 3 day full body workout for about 6 mnths and am now doing a split routine 4 days a week for 3 months now. I'm having trouble losing body fat, especially my "love handles". I'm not fat but could use to lose some weight for definition. I'm a little guy, 5'7", about 150 and have a small frame. I'm doing 2-3 protein shakes a day, creatine and glutamine as my supps. I'm trying to eat alot of protein but can't seem to shake the fat. Is it possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time? Could the creatine be hindering my actions to lose fat? Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks...
    Well you've only been training 6 months and are 53 years old in my opinion all those supps are unnecesary and could be taxing on your body. So my recommendation would be to only do the protein shake and have one per day no need for 3 a day. So on workout days use it as a PWO shake (Post WorkOut) and on off days have it in the morning to start the day off with a bang haha :P

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesdavid121 View Post
    Hey I'm 23 years old 5ft 11 74kg looking for a goal of around 83kg

I go to the Gym around 3/4 days

Trying to make it 5

Iv been taking protein for around 2 years now

At the moment on training days I take 2scoops 44g protein of Optimum Nutrition for breakfast

Before work out one scoop of No-shotgun 18g protein
    After workout one scoop of No-Synthesize 20g protein

On Non training days I Have 2 scoops optimum nutrition in the morning
    and 2 scoops in the evening

Any ideas or suggestions ????

I try my best to have a balanced diet each day also
    You're taking all those supplements and you're only "trying" to have a balanced diet?? They are called SUPPLEMENTS because they supplement a proper diet not substitute it, no matter how many supplements you take if you don't have a proper spot on diet they are pretty much useless. So get your diet in order before you start wasting money like that plus that amount of supplements could be harmful to your kidneys or god knows what. Remember supplements are man made and while they are helpful remember that this must be done in moderation and keeping it very under control, it's kind of like medicine yes it makes you better but too much makes you sick.

Quote Originally Posted by thedoc10 View Post
    hi there
    i am just starting out, i my body fat is 17.9 %, want to start lifting weights and builing muscle so would i be better to lose bit of weight first or can i still build muscle and lose some fat while lifting?

thanks
    You could probably build some muscle and lose some fat while you're at it if you're starting out. After a while it gets much harder though, so I would just go to the gym and clean up your diet then further down the road you can think about having a programmed diet and all that.

I would like to answer all these posts myself but I would recommend everyone with these kind of doubts to ask them on the forum since you'll get help from more experienced people there.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Somebody told me that it is easier to turn fat into muscle than just to build muscle alone but i read if you want to lose weight and gain muscle you cannot do both. Ive been going to the gym for a few weeks now and i am not hugely overweight person but im deffinitly looking to turn some of that extra arm and chest flab into muscle. If i am following a 3 day beginner workout plan this should help to kick start my goals am i right? And i know people from football who used to be "chubby" kids and look pretty good now, im quite physically active (snowboard/skateboard) or some sort of activity every day so should i just keep doing my thing? any feedback appreciated.. also how long should i expect to see noticable results a month? two?

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

also i am new to working out and ive heard its very hard to impossible to turn extra weight into muscle but since i am literally only on my second week from starting will it be possible for some of that arm flab man boobs "moobs" and just all around extra to turn into muscle.. of course i need to take notice to what i am eating and some cardio to but i just wanna know if some of that fat can turn to muscle because of course if i continue working out my muscles will build