MEMBER LOGIN

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Größte Mutter im Zimmer Abaddon's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

"Somebody told me that it is easier to turn fat into muscle than just to build muscle alone but i read if you want to lose weight and gain muscle you cannot do both"
    - Somebody lied to you.

First: fat does not 'turn into' muscle
    Second: these questions could have their own thread, don't you think?
    Third: use the search function before posting all this stuff again. Check: recomping
    WEST AUSTRALIAN AMATEUR STRONGMAN
    AXLE CLEAN-PRESS: 105 kgs/ 231 lbs BENCH PRESS: 135 kgs / 298 lbs DEADLIFT: 220 kgs / 485 lbs FARMERS WALK: 240 kgs / 530 lbs, for 50 feet FRONT SQUAT: 100 kgs / 220 lbs KROC ROW: 82.5 kgs / 182 lbs left 5 reps, right 4 reps LOG CLEAN-PRESS: 105 kgs STANDING OHP: 90 kgs / 198 lbs TYRE FLIP: 260 kgs / 573 lbs, for 100 feet

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I started about one year ago making muscles and i could say i look pretty nice at my age. Also the deciding role in this was made by a book I picked up from Jason Ferruggia.
    Last edited by tadolfi; 10-12-2010 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Removed link, it is considered as advertising

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I Was wondering what you think, I am playing Touch Rugby in January and Full Contact again Next Season. I am approximately 230lbs and 5'8" and out of shape. I have recemtly started back at the gym and feel lost. So I've Read this article and think its great so I was thinking of this. I want to lose fat, not necesserily weight and build muscle, endurance, and cardio. So I was wondering about the following;

Step 1 12 Week Beginners Training Routine

then step up to

Step 2 4 Day Power Muscle Burn Workout Split

all the while doing a core control class at the gym, and running for approximately half an hour on training days to warm up.

Any thoughts or ideas on how this might work, I would really appreciate your help, as I said I feel Lost.

• Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Quote Originally Posted by Choppa View Post
    I Was wondering what you think, I am playing Touch Rugby in January and Full Contact again Next Season. I am approximately 230lbs and 5'8" and out of shape. I have recemtly started back at the gym and feel lost. So I've Read this article and think its great so I was thinking of this. I want to lose fat, not necesserily weight and build muscle, endurance, and cardio. So I was wondering about the following;

Step 1 12 Week Beginners Training Routine

then step up to

Step 2 4 Day Power Muscle Burn Workout Split

all the while doing a core control class at the gym, and running for approximately half an hour on training days to warm up.

Any thoughts or ideas on how this might work, I would really appreciate your help, as I said I feel Lost.
    Yeah I can try and help you out but I recommend you start a thread for this instead of asking here. What you've said sounds good start with a begginer routine and move up to an intermediate one. I'm assuming core control is ab exercises so that sounds good to.

Don't expect to be losing fat and gaining muscle for long though after a while it stops nobody knows why. So eat healthy, eat a lot and stay dedicated to not missing any workouts. Take progress pics too because you may be thinking your not making gains when in fact you are

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit

Default Too much protein?

Quote Originally Posted by CptKnuckles View Post
    Well that's my 9 steps to start working out, anyone can think of any steps I'm missing?? Keep in mind this is for a begginer so no advanced movements or any technical explanations.
    What about those who are drinking protein shakes or having big protein intake thinking it's helping them? I've been told for those who don't need it, that it just turns into fat in the end as your muscles aren't requiring any protein for muscle strength. Is this true?

Last edited by muscletrainerdh; 10-18-2010 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Please do not put links in your signature.

• Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Quote Originally Posted by derek59 View Post
    What about those who are drinking protein shakes or having big protein intake thinking it's helping them? I've been told for those who don't need it, that it just turns into fat in the end as your muscles aren't requiring any protein for muscle strength. Is this true?
    Mmmm that's a good question. Well I know that it's not good for you to eat too much protein but I'm not sure if it turns into fat. I mean it would make sense that if you don't use it as fuel that your body would store it as an energy source but I'm not sure if it would transform into fat or how your body would store it. I'll ask on the forums

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Yoga Teacher Training San Francisco

perfect! I have added it to my blog:

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by santosa View Post
    What brand(s) of multivitamin do you recommend? And what do I need to look for when I'm browsing around to find out if a certain brand is good or not?
    Grrr...search button! For a multi look at the label and see where the C and E are derived. Whole-food multis will have C as ascorbic acid and also contain a bioflavanoid complex of some sort. Synthetics will only have ascorbic acid. The E in a whole food will be d-alpha (or d-beta, d-gamma, etc.) tocopheral, whereas a synthetic will be dl-alpha... -EK

• Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Other

Thank you much CptKnuckles. Just what I was looking for to get started.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

hello, nice article.
    But what next after the beginner's workout??can u suggest for the intermediate stage workout plan?

• Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Cheers for this. I'm gonna use the '3 Day A Week Routine'' and see how I get on.
    I'm a total noob to all this and I had to youtube all the excercises.

I've one question, is there any other work out that has the same impact as the 'Military Press'? I just don't feel confident enough to do this in the gym yet, with a spotter an all. Anything similar that I can replace it untill I'm more confortable around the gym?

M&S Power User
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Default Great Info

Alright I wanted to detail more step 4 Diet since diet is the most important aspect of transforming your body (bodybuilding :P):

To some having a strict meal plan that you follow every day can be motivational and actually something they enjoy but most people won't like that lack of freedom in choosing what to eat. Which is why I'm adding this section to all those people that can't follow the same diet everyday or find it to be too much trouble and demotivational. (Since food affects mood).

Alright for a begginer having a daily diet isn't vital for seeing substantial gains and you will still see great gains if you just eat healthy and regularly. However most people don't understand what eating healthy really means so I'm going to pretty much steal coregains thread explaining how to eat healthy and what foods are healthy and not and you can use common sense after that to discover which ones aren't. And I'll also add some useful links and anyone that wants to post more links feel free to do so, I will definetely add them on.

Step 10 (if you want to call it that) Eating Healthy

HEALTHY
    Small regular meals
    Eat regularly (5 meals a day). You want three big meals (your breakfast, lunch, dinner) and two smaller meals in between those. In spain we call them almuerzo and merienda. This type of meal structure is gaining more popularity because it's easier to do and you can lead a completely normal life while, something not so easy to do if you're eating 8 times a day. So each meal should have protein, carbs and fat. Try to make each meal have all of these three.

Protein:
    Eggs, fish, poultry, red meats (lean is preferred since there is less fat), low fat milk, nuts (be careful though these have a high fat content don't eat too many), and proetin supplements

Carbohydrates:
    Oatmeal, yams, sweet potatoes, potatoes (white or red), brown rice, 100% whole wheat and whole grain products (pretty much don't eat white bread if you can and the same goes for pasta and all these grains), green vegetables (brocolli, green beans, asparragus, lettuce, etc...) You can eat as many green vegetables as you want And fruit (don't overdo it though since fruit has more sugar and too much isn't good either)

Fat:
    You get fat from meat, fish, nuts (peanut butter yuuum). Can't think of many more sources but you shouldn't worry too much there's enough fat in your other foods that you won't have a problem getting enough fat.

UNHEALTHY
    Okay now that I've said what you SHOULD eat I think it's equally important to say what you SHOULDN'T eat:
    White sugar (this is satan pretty much hahah) Asides from being unhealthy it actually steals from the good foods your eating because it actually leeches minerals from your body.
    Ice cream, fried foods, doughnuts and pastries, candy, chocolate, soda, fruit drinks (these are usually loaded with sugar read the nutritional information before buying), bacon, sausage, white bread, chips, nachos, sugary breakfast cereal.

All those yummy delicious foods are unhealthy and you should take them very rarely (like once a week) after a while you'll notice that in fact your stomach gets upset if you take them again after avoiding them long enough. I mean your body is smarter than you are it knows what food isn't good for you but if you force it down your throat every day your body will adapt and grow intolerant to it allowing you to eat it without feeling sick. So don't try and trick your body LISTEN to it

So there we go I'll be editing every once in a while to try and make it not so long and cut out unnecesary information but for now I'll leave it like that :P
    This is great for beginners! Well done
    MUSCLE GAUGE NUTRITION - Brand Rep

"Your Home for Affordable, High Quality, Nutritional Supplements"

M&S Power User
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Default Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Caca View Post
    Thanks! That helped alote. Very good step by steps very simple to undertsand.
    Go For It! Strive for progress not perfection

M&S Power User
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Thumbs up Organic-

Quote Originally Posted by EKnight View Post
    Add a multivitamin-- NOT Centrum or One-a-day to the supps. More important than whey! -EK
    Yea adding a superfood, all natural type multi is very very important. Good Eye ;-)

M&S Power User
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Good post man, i'll stick this.

I agree with the multi vit, add that into supps and i'd just add in the diet bit a line to say how important your diet actually is, because most beginners think that if you lift big weights you gain muscle regardless to what you eat.
    ^^Yes They Do. Good Call there

M&S Power User
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Thumbs up Yes

well if your diet is good do you still really need a multivitamin? I would think that whey would give you better results than a multivitamin if you only had to add one but I'll add a reference to multivitamin too.
    Hey erick what's centrum and the one a day you posted are they a specific brand of multivitamin?
    And shaun thanks for the sticky Never thought this would get stickied so I really appreciate that
    Yes, no matter how clean your diet is, a multi vitamin can ONLY help your efforts...

M&S Power User
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Default All Natural Whole Food

Yes, studies show that there is no way an average person can get their micronutrients through whole foods, let alone someone with higher needs who is training hard. Centrum, etc. are synthetic garbage multis that are poorly absorbed and basically lots of fillers and crap. -EK
    Its true. And Centrum etc do nothing for your body. All-Natural Whole Food Multis are the way to go

M&S Power User
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Quote Originally Posted by santosa View Post
    What brand(s) of multivitamin do you recommend? And what do I need to look for when I'm browsing around to find out if a certain brand is good or not?
    When it comes to Multis You should look for SuperFoods or Whole Foods Organic Supplements. Usually have pictures of veggies and fruit on them, but when you go to the store just ask someone for a "Whole Foods or SuperFoods All Natural" and they can point you in the right direction

M&S Power User
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Great Idea!

M&S Power User
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Alright I wanted to detail more step 4 Diet since diet is the most important aspect of transforming your body (bodybuilding :P):

To some having a strict meal plan that you follow every day can be motivational and actually something they enjoy but most people won't like that lack of freedom in choosing what to eat. Which is why I'm adding this section to all those people that can't follow the same diet everyday or find it to be too much trouble and demotivational. (Since food affects mood).

Alright for a begginer having a daily diet isn't vital for seeing substantial gains and you will still see great gains if you just eat healthy and regularly. However most people don't understand what eating healthy really means so I'm going to pretty much steal coregains thread explaining how to eat healthy and what foods are healthy and not and you can use common sense after that to discover which ones aren't. And I'll also add some useful links and anyone that wants to post more links feel free to do so, I will definetely add them on.

Step 10 (if you want to call it that) Eating Healthy

HEALTHY
    Small regular meals
    Eat regularly (5 meals a day). You want three big meals (your breakfast, lunch, dinner) and two smaller meals in between those. In spain we call them almuerzo and merienda. This type of meal structure is gaining more popularity because it's easier to do and you can lead a completely normal life while, something not so easy to do if you're eating 8 times a day. So each meal should have protein, carbs and fat. Try to make each meal have all of these three.

Protein:
    Eggs, fish, poultry, red meats (lean is preferred since there is less fat), low fat milk, nuts (be careful though these have a high fat content don't eat too many), and proetin supplements

Carbohydrates:
    Oatmeal, yams, sweet potatoes, potatoes (white or red), brown rice, 100% whole wheat and whole grain products (pretty much don't eat white bread if you can and the same goes for pasta and all these grains), green vegetables (brocolli, green beans, asparragus, lettuce, etc...) You can eat as many green vegetables as you want And fruit (don't overdo it though since fruit has more sugar and too much isn't good either)

Fat:
    You get fat from meat, fish, nuts (peanut butter yuuum). Can't think of many more sources but you shouldn't worry too much there's enough fat in your other foods that you won't have a problem getting enough fat.

UNHEALTHY
    Okay now that I've said what you SHOULD eat I think it's equally important to say what you SHOULDN'T eat:
    White sugar (this is satan pretty much hahah) Asides from being unhealthy it actually steals from the good foods your eating because it actually leeches minerals from your body.
    Ice cream, fried foods, doughnuts and pastries, candy, chocolate, soda, fruit drinks (these are usually loaded with sugar read the nutritional information before buying), bacon, sausage, white bread, chips, nachos, sugary breakfast cereal.

All those yummy delicious foods are unhealthy and you should take them very rarely (like once a week) after a while you'll notice that in fact your stomach gets upset if you take them again after avoiding them long enough. I mean your body is smarter than you are it knows what food isn't good for you but if you force it down your throat every day your body will adapt and grow intolerant to it allowing you to eat it without feeling sick. So don't try and trick your body LISTEN to it

So there we go I'll be editing every once in a while to try and make it not so long and cut out unnecesary information but for now I'll leave it like that :P
    This should really help people out!

M&S Power User
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Caca View Post
    Thanks! That helped alote. Very good step by steps very simple to undertsand.
    Keep up the good work!

M&S Power User
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Add a multivitamin-- NOT Centrum or One-a-day to the supps. More important than whey! -EK
    Agreed!

M&S Power User
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Good post man, i'll stick this.

I agree with the multi vit, add that into supps and i'd just add in the diet bit a line to say how important your diet actually is, because most beginners think that if you lift big weights you gain muscle regardless to what you eat.
    Stick to it and keep up the good work ;-)

M&S Power User
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

well if your diet is good do you still really need a multivitamin? I would think that whey would give you better results than a multivitamin if you only had to add one but I'll add a reference to multivitamin too.
    Hey erick what's centrum and the one a day you posted are they a specific brand of multivitamin?
    And shaun thanks for the sticky Never thought this would get stickied so I really appreciate that
    Yes! Very necessary! ;-)

M&S Power User
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Quote Originally Posted by AMuscle1 View Post
    This should really help people out!
    Remember though when it comes to protein. Quantity is very very important!