MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default How do I lose my "beer belly" and "love handles"

Ok cant think of a better place to ask this than here.....

I would like to know what is the best thing for me to do to loose my beer belly (FYI I dont drink beer or any alcohol at all just calling it that cuz thats what it looks like) I heard that wrapping plastic like that saran wrap you use on food around your belly while jogging on treadmill will help is that true and of course theres creams and suits as well?

Heres the deal Im 26 Y/O Male 6' 1" 140lbs (sorry Im American LOL so use feet and inches as well as lbs and ounces) I lift weights on Monday, Wednesday and Friday but Im on the treadmill 5 days a week for at least an hour doing HIIT to loose my fat. After reading many posts here and getting advice from all the people on here I know I cant loose weight and gain muscle at the same time so I decided to loose my fat but still lift weights so when I get thinner I can have my muscles at least toned and defined then Ill start bulking up and lifting more weights.

What I want to do though is loose weight around my stomach area I also learned from this site that you cant really choose where you can loose your fat but Ive heard that some things can help like the saran wrap idea well hope someone can help me out. Thanks

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Hi mate,

Diet and exercise is the only way, don't fall for all that gimicky crap that people talk about.

Have a look at these articles on diet and this workout from Doug. If you apply the principles you will get where you want to be.

If you have further questions after reading the articles just post them up, there are plenty of people here to offer advice/support.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...rs-part-I.html

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...s-part-II.html

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...ding-diet.html

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...ng-muscle.html
    Live every day as if it's your last. Because one day you will be right.

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Patience is key,

You took time gaining the weight, it takes time to lose it. Simple as that

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by M4K4V3li View Post
    Ok cant think of a better place to ask this than here.....

I would like to know what is the best thing for me to do to loose my beer belly (FYI I dont drink beer or any alcohol at all just calling it that cuz thats what it looks like) I heard that wrapping plastic like that saran wrap you use on food around your belly while jogging on treadmill will help is that true and of course theres creams and suits as well?

Heres the deal Im 26 Y/O Male 6' 1" 140lbs (sorry Im American LOL so use feet and inches as well as lbs and ounces) I lift weights on Monday, Wednesday and Friday but Im on the treadmill 5 days a week for at least an hour doing HIIT to loose my fat. After reading many posts here and getting advice from all the people on here I know I cant loose weight and gain muscle at the same time so I decided to loose my fat but still lift weights so when I get thinner I can have my muscles at least toned and defined then Ill start bulking up and lifting more weights.

What I want to do though is loose weight around my stomach area I also learned from this site that you cant really choose where you can loose your fat but Ive heard that some things can help like the saran wrap idea well hope someone can help me out. Thanks
    lol...Forget the "wrap" that will only lose fluid, then when you drink it goes back on.....

Sounds like your diet is to blame, Macca has given you some good links to have a look at.

But if you were in my Gym I would say get on a good diet, and some weight training to increase bodyweight, at 6'1" and 140 lbs, you could do with adding some muscle....
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

5 times a week of HIIT for at least an hour is too much, you over training. Make 3 (as Doug told me) your body needs rest to recover. Am i right ppl?

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by ualeon View Post
    5 times a week of HIIT for at least an hour is too much, you over training. Make 3 (as Doug told me) your body needs rest to recover. Am i right ppl?
    Yes your right...I missed that bit well spotted,

Have some reputation points for spotting that.....
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

LMAO I just realized that I put 140 thanks for pointing that out to me I meant 240lbs (getting a little wishful thinking in there) lol well sorry for the confusion but that should put a whole different view on what Im doing. I do get rest days by the way on Sat or Sun.

But if I am overtraining by doing the treadmill everyday 5 days straight please let me know should i then run Mon,Wed,Frid,Sun? to get a day of rest in between? I thought it was doing me good as when I started this 2 1/2 weeks ago I have since lost 4lbs??

As for my diet Im eating 5-6 meals a day and taking vitamins and drinking protein as well as water. I cut out all junk food and fried foods my cheat day is friday and even then I eat half of what I would have eaten a month ago. Im a big guy both height and weight so I could eat a big meal if I wanted to but I eat slow now and only half portions and healthy snacks in between.
    Last edited by M4K4V3li; 08-07-2007 at 04:08 PM.

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Yeah, 5 days a week is a little to much, some people recommend 3 but I think you should be fine with 4. Mon,Tue,Thur,Friday

The gym that you go to do they have spinning classes? Spinning is a great exercise and I find to be lots of fun, definitely recommend you give that a shot. It's also a nice switch up from running which can get repetitive.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Thanks TT.

I actually dont go to the gym I have a treadmill and weight sets with a bench so I do it all at home thats why I can do it 5 times a week after that I hit the shower and go to bed I have no idea what spinning is or what you need to do it but I actually do 5 min walking 5 min walking fast like 4mph and then at the 10 min mark I do 6Mph for 1 minute then do 5 min again at 4mph then 6Mph every 5 min for an hour thats my HIIT version at least for now. I want to loose my fat quicker so I figured 5 times a week will do it but I think I will go down to 4 days as at least one day out of the week I dont feel like doing it but do it for at least 30-40 min. Once I get to my desired look and loose most of my fat I will do it only twice a week on Tues and Thurs when Im not lifting.

Great advice though I appreciate it!

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

theres no "quicker" way to lose fat, then the recommended tips by everyone. Just have some patience you will see some great results and feel much better about your self. Don't overwork just take it slow and you'll lose that weight b4 you realize it. make sure you eat right with a good healthy diet

bicycling is really nice, i just switched over to it, im enjoying it very much

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

fastest most efficient fat burning technique is going for the run early morning. its proven that it could a lot better than anytime of day. I am trying to get in to it but am too lazy

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Haha same here ualeon I do my exercises at night because I cant seem to get up before 9am anymore Im lazy and I go to bed at 1-2 am and dont have to be in at work till 10am so I drag. I know if I start saying oh Ill just get up and do it in the morning I wont then Ill be like its ok Ill do it tomorrow morning and so on and so on like this I have no excuses its either play online games or go lift weights and get on treadmill?

The answer has gotten a lot easier this past month since I started I have lost 4 lbs in 2 weeks and my muscles are a little more defined cant wait till my 6 week mark then my 8 week mark but I was just trying to speed things along oh well guess theres no real shortcuts I am going to stick to what Im doing. Thanks for the help and support guys!