MEMBER LOGIN

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Regular Poster liftalot's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Feb 2010
    • Posts
      304
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      earth
    • Reputation
      8,427,231
    • Rep Power
      84,282

    Default Bodybuilding and Acne

    I have acne and am wondering if its from the increased testosterone from lifting or the high protein diet.

    I noticed that around 60% of the guys who lift daily have acne, and some really severe cases too

    So is bodybuilding increasing acne?
    -muscle pharming

  2. #2
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Jun 2009
    • Posts
      7
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Welcome. NC
    • Reputation
      10
    • Rep Power
      0

    Default

    I had some of the same questions, so I went and asked a dermotologist (skin doctor), she said that the increased testosterone could have an effect on acne, but as long as you keep your skin clean (washing your face thoroughly after working out and every morning and evening) it shouldn't be that much of an issue. Also try to keep from wiping your face with your hand when working out try and use a towel, that way the excess greasy sweat on your palm won't get pushed down into your face.

  3. #3
    M&S Power User ssslayer's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Sep 2006
    • Posts
      1,828
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Other
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Indya
    • Reputation
      28,107,448
    • Rep Power
      281,096

    Default

    Usually, natural bodybuilding doesn't elevate your T levels to the extent that it causes acne (at least to noticeable extent).

    The walking cases around you might be taking extra helpings from external juice/gear.

  4. #4
    M&S Elite Member aussie29's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Sep 2008
    • Posts
      1,028
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Australia
    • Reputation
      14,704,328
    • Rep Power
      147,059

    Default

    hey man i had a big problem with acne while i started training.
    read this thread http://www.muscleandstrength.com/for...g-problem.html it might help u.
    plus i did an expirement...
    i stopped gym for 1 + month my acne went away.i stopped eating to much to gain weight i ate like a normal person.My acne went away.i started gym again my acne didnt came back i only got few pimples . so i started taking supplements i got more pimples hmmm plus i was eating 6 times a day but not overdoing it like before .ok the so i searched about sweating..bang that was the problem.
    i used th same towel for 3 days and i came home and after 30-40 min i took a shower.from the day i changed my towel every day and coming home and taking a hot shower(open the pores and clean all the ****) and at the end making it colder and colder (so the pores can close) that was it ..
    no pimples.i hope this helps u
    not that before i wasnt cleaning my face or soemthing ( i did 2 times a day with different products)but for me it was sweating and diet... i stopped being so much into diet and now i am ok...but i will get back on strick diet in a few months or a year when my hormones settle down haha...anw good luck
    GOING THE DISTANCE !!

  5. #5
    Dis here, cell tech. Doug9x's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jul 2009
    • Posts
      5,015
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Birmingham, UK
    • Reputation
      13,532,400
    • Rep Power
      135,359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liftalot View Post
    I have acne and am wondering if its from the increased testosterone from lifting or the high protein diet.

    I noticed that around 60% of the guys who lift daily have acne, and some really severe cases too

    So is bodybuilding increasing acne?
    60% of guys... thats A LOT!The guys I know that are my age (18) or younger that lift and that do MMA don't have acne.

    I used to get some spots but since I've been lifting and have stopped eating junk I never really get them...

    Would be really interesting to know more about this though

    Perhaps really good hygiene will help?E.g. don't wear sweaty lifting gloves, wash your hands before and after working out, have a good shower after working out and make sure no sweats left at all?I did used to get spots on my chest when I didnt shower for a while after working out

  6. #6
    Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Aug 2008
    • Posts
      20,732
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Gender
      Female
    • Location
      Orkney Islands
    • Training Log
    • Reputation
      1,283,917,595
    • Rep Power
      12,839,289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liftalot View Post
    I have acne and am wondering if its from the increased testosterone from lifting or the high protein diet.

    I noticed that around 60% of the guys who lift daily have acne, and some really severe cases too

    So is bodybuilding increasing acne?
    Increases in testosterione levels can cause acne, as you grow up you produce testosterone at higher levels (teenagers etc) [someone correct that if it's wrong]; plus lifting weights increases testosterone production; the two together may add up to more acne in those that are more prone to it. It has also been said though, that diets high in sugar, i.e. the typical western diet, can also cause acne...so there are many variables.

    All of my siblings suffered acne, whereas I was lucky not to have any, but we were all eating the same foods and doing similar workouts. So, sometimes, it's just comes down to individual make-up. If acne is bad, just get it checked out, even keep a log of some sort so that you can gauge if something triggers it.
    1-Finger Deadlift, 1RM: 80.3lbs/36.5kg

  7. #7
    Regular Poster liftalot's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Feb 2010
    • Posts
      304
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      earth
    • Reputation
      8,427,231
    • Rep Power
      84,282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug9x View Post
    60% of guys... thats A LOT!The guys I know that are my age (18) or younger that lift and that do MMA don't have acne.

    I used to get some spots but since I've been lifting and have stopped eating junk I never really get them...

    Would be really interesting to know more about this though

    Perhaps really good hygiene will help?E.g. don't wear sweaty lifting gloves, wash your hands before and after working out, have a good shower after working out and make sure no sweats left at all?I did used to get spots on my chest when I didnt shower for a while after working out

    I know that its a lot, except i honestly think they are juciing because im 15 and like to consider my self above average in the weight room, but theses guys that are only 2-3 years older then me are just monsters, honestly one guy looks like arnold at 18. You would think that they would catch the on the juice tho



    I would also like to add that i have a very good hygiene and take care of my skin, it might just be because my age(15) but who knows it was just something that always interested me.

    Thanks for all the help tho
    -muscle pharming

  8. #8
    Regular Poster Chadman's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Mar 2009
    • Posts
      270
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Davenport, Iowa
    • Reputation
      550
    • Rep Power
      16

    Default

    Check out acne.org, there is a lot of useful information there. Dairy products can cause acne too, or at least it does for me. And when you eat six times a day it's tough to avoid. Especially that tasty cheese!

    So I can relate to having acne. I'm able to control it by using a lotion that contains 10% benzoyl peroxide, which will oxygenate the pores and kills bacteria living inside. That website has a lot of useful info.
    37 Years Old, 5'9", 188 lbs, Routine: Boxing/Machines/CARDIO, Current Cycle: Cutting

  9. #9
    Regular Poster Chadman's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Mar 2009
    • Posts
      270
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Davenport, Iowa
    • Reputation
      550
    • Rep Power
      16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
    Increases in testosterione levels can cause acne, as you grow up you produce testosterone at higher levels (teenagers etc) [someone correct that if it's wrong]; plus lifting weights increases testosterone production; the two together may add up to more acne in those that are more prone to it. It has also been said though, that diets high in sugar, i.e. the typical western diet, can also cause acne...so there are many variables.

    All of my siblings suffered acne, whereas I was lucky not to have any, but we were all eating the same foods and doing similar workouts. So, sometimes, it's just comes down to individual make-up. If acne is bad, just get it checked out, even keep a log of some sort so that you can gauge if something triggers it.
    Yeah, testosterone in teenage boys is much higher then children, but also higher then grown men.
    37 Years Old, 5'9", 188 lbs, Routine: Boxing/Machines/CARDIO, Current Cycle: Cutting

  10. #10
    Regular Poster liftalot's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Feb 2010
    • Posts
      304
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      earth
    • Reputation
      8,427,231
    • Rep Power
      84,282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Check out acne.org, there is a lot of useful information there. Dairy products can cause acne too, or at least it does for me. And when you eat six times a day it's tough to avoid. Especially that tasty cheese!

    So I can relate to having acne. I'm able to control it by using a lotion that contains 10% benzoyl peroxide, which will oxygenate the pores and kills bacteria living inside. That website has a lot of useful info.
    Idk how to live with out milk haha and i would try some benzoyl peroxide but i read that it can cause skin cancer so i wouldnt use that too much if i were u
    -muscle pharming

  11. #11
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Mar 2017
    • Posts
      6
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Reputation
      10
    • Rep Power
      0

    Default

    Definitely use a towel and it has to be a clean towel every day. Don't touch your face with your hands as they have a lot of dirt on them - keep in mind that not everyone is cleaning the equipment after using it. Actually you shouldn't touch your at all if you haven't washed your hands just before that. I had a similar problem at the beginning but I had some small acne before I started. So after I've noticed that the breakouts are getting worse I decided to avoid all the mistakes like using same towel for a few days in a row. Oh and the most important thing. Take a shower as quick as possible! If you don't like to take it at the gym, take it right away getting back home!
    Last edited by Doug; 03-08-2017 at 02:53 PM. Reason: advertising link deleted

  12. #12
    Just joined M&S isaac's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Oct 2018
    • Posts
      21
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      New York
    • Reputation
      10
    • Rep Power
      1

    Default

    There is no such thing as foods you're "supposed" to eat. Just use common sense with your diet and it's pretty hard to screw up. As far as acne and bb'ing go. Just get a scrub or something, that's a poor excuse not to hit the gym.
    Education kills faith dead. It's like bug spray for Christianity. (Dusty Smith, Atheist)

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Acne from 1 M.R ?
    By hockeystar10 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-23-2010, 10:03 AM
  2. Acne
    By mcdonough53 in forum Beginners Questions & Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-30-2010, 09:17 PM
  3. Acne help?
    By JCThunder in forum General Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-26-2010, 11:54 AM
  4. Acne!?!?!
    By Ramy in forum Teen Fitness
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-28-2008, 03:20 PM
  5. Chest Acne
    By tokyochiller in forum Injuries
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-05-2008, 09:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Community
Forum
Reviews
Articles
Follow M&S
Contact Us

Muscle & Strength, LLC
1180 First Street South
Columbia, SC 29209
PH: 1-800-537-9910
Email: click here

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
© Copyright 2015, Muscle & Strength LLC. Images copyright of their respective owners. Contact Us | Affiliate Program | Terms of Use