MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Tone Up

Default Losing Fat, Losing Muscle, Losing Endurance

Hello,

I stumbled across the site looking for help with what I am sure has become muscle loss.

I am 6-1", 173lbs, 37yrs old male. I started working out in Sept of '09 after watching a Biggest Loser Marathon and watching them drop 200lbs and thinking if that guy can have a 6 pack why can't I? I decided to try and have a 6 pack by June 2010.

Well at the time I was 210lbs and had pretty much been the "skinny guy with the fat gut" since college. I have always had a good metabolism and abused it every chance I got. I decided i was not going to go from 34's to 36's and started working out and watching my calories.

So over the last 6-7 months I have pretty well stayed on a 2000 calorie diet which is supposedly about 500 calories less than I need, and according to the software I downloaded it seems correct as it said I should lose about 4lbs a month and I have lost pretty much that exact amount of weight since I started tracking it each and every month.

I have gone overboard, keeping a journal of every meal, tracking my weight. I even plotted graphs so I could trend weight loss with calorie intake vs protien etc. the one thing doing this did was keep me on the right track and gave me something to "watch".

I am getting concerned now though with my strength and endurance. When i was out of shape and just starting out I was much stronger and after about 3 months of working out I felt better than i did before and better than i do now..

I lift weights 3 times a week and run on my off days. I worked up to about 3.5k in about 20 minutes doing a walk 1 min, jog 1 min, run 1 min. But now 3 months later I am doing good to hit 3.2k in the same amount of time. One the weights there is no question i built up endurance for about 3 months then when the weight really started to shed so did my endurance. As the weight dropped so did my available reps per set.

Now I am getting very mild cramps at odd times and am pretty sure my muscles are starting to pay the price for my calorie deficiency.

So i read the articles on this site and a few others and have grabbed some creatine, som flax seed oil, to add to my whey shakes. This will probably be my only suplements at this time. I try my best to eat good meals, but with a family job and three kids a good meal is whatever was cooked. My meals aren't lacking nutrients but they sometimes are heavy on the olive oil or a 100 calories of butter isn't unheard of.

I tried to increase my diet last month to 2500 calories and I gained 6lbs (i have since lost it) and probably about an inch on my waist in just the first two weeks. It freaked me out so i stopped dropped my calories and dropped the weight back off over the next two weeks. I added another full meal in place of a snack.

A typical day is.

0530hrs Whey Protien shake
    0800hrs Oatmeal (150 cal) (with sugar cinnamon) I cannot eat it without the sugar and cinnamon so dropping them is not optional. Without oatmeal food goes in but doesn't go out .
    1200 left overs (typically portion of meat, veggie, rice/potatos/pasta) or a PBJ/ or TUNA sandwich or sometimes a homemade soup (500~700 cal)
    1500hrs snack (200~300 calories) whatever I grabbed, granola bar/jello/theft from kids lunch and usually a banana/apple/watermelon/cucumber/carrots
    1800hrs Dinner (same as lunch) about 500~700 calories.
    2000hrs workout
    2100hrs whey protien shake (120 calories)
    2200hrs Sometimes a snack. Could be anything from a handfull of chips to veggies to a sandwich depending on what is available and if I have the "room" for it calorie wise.

I hate to undue all the work i have put in by increasing my calories but definately don't want to start to have issues with losing muscle either.

I joked with my wife i was going to stay on this diet and get a 6 pack or turn into a skeleton with a fat gut. Well the sad thing is i am starting to worry the later may be possible and in fact a likely outcome if I do not change something. It looks like my body has figured out what I am up to and is holding on to my gut for dear life.

I am pretty happy with my change so far the top part of my stomach is getting flat, and when i "flex" I am starting to see some muscles on my gut I haven't seen since 8th grade. My 34 jeans hang off me like a gangster (i am easily in 32's) my shirts are tight in the arms and shoulders and baggy on the sides in fact i own nothing that fits me anymore. However I am fairly certain that my plan to have a six pack in two more months has gone out the window.

I will settle for a four pack.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give me. And sorry about the short book.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Reagent View Post

I tried to increase my diet last month to 2500 calories and I gained 6lbs (i have since lost it) and probably about an inch on my waist in just the first two weeks. It freaked me out so i stopped dropped my calories and dropped the weight back off over the next two weeks. I added another full meal in place of a snack.

A typical day is.

0530hrs Whey Protien shake
    0800hrs Oatmeal (150 cal) (with sugar cinnamon) I cannot eat it without the sugar and cinnamon so dropping them is not optional. Without oatmeal food goes in but doesn't go out .
    1200 left overs (typically portion of meat, veggie, rice/potatos/pasta) or a PBJ/ or TUNA sandwich or sometimes a homemade soup (500~700 cal)
    1500hrs snack (200~300 calories) whatever I grabbed, granola bar/jello/theft from kids lunch and usually a banana/apple/watermelon/cucumber/carrots
    1800hrs Dinner (same as lunch) about 500~700 calories.
    2000hrs workout
    2100hrs whey protien shake (120 calories)
    2200hrs Sometimes a snack. Could be anything from a handfull of chips to veggies to a sandwich depending on what is available and if I have the "room" for it calorie wise.
    Hi welcome to the forum

The calories you have listed above (using an average between calorie levels) gives 1720 calories. For your lunch you list a full meal, but then go on to say "or" a pbj or tuna sandwich, if its the "or" then your calorie level is going to be less than the 1720. Entering your stats into the BMR/Activity calculator on this site gives your calorie level to maintain current body weight (173 lbs) and activity levels (moderately active) gives your calorie requirement as 2820,

Start off by working out "exactly" what calorie content a normal days intake is, then workout your daily expenditure from BMR requirements and training
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Tone Up

Thanks for the fast response and welcome.

I have the exact amount of calories I have eaten for every day more or less for the past 6-7 months. The numbers i listed above are just balpark. I usually eat right at 2000 calories a day. Sometimes it is only 1700 sometimes 2200 but normally i try and stay right at 2000. My diet is not always controlable. A lot of the time i eat what i can then plug it in to the program see what i can eat for the rest of the day later. Over time i have become much better at knowing what something cost calorie wise and have been able to make better decisions.

I am glad you mentioned the exercise. When i started this whole thing I placed my activity level at couch potato. I am most definately eating more than a 500 calorie deficite now that I am working out. I had completely forgotten about the burnt calories now that my activity is way up.

I will look at the BMR calculator and see what that is about. See what i am missing.

Thanks,