MEMBER LOGIN

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log

I don't know about anyone else but I think the term "proper diet" is relative to what a person thinks to be proper diet as well. Unless everyone is reading the term the same way, we all end up going around in circles dicsussing the issue and missing some of the point to the initial query.

Since I was generally brought up on vegetables, sandwiches and cereal (which I hated, not a breakfast person) for me a slacking off from the "proper diet" may only mean a chocolate biscuit and a pack of crisps (chips) throughout the entire day; in addition to the toast, peanut butter, veggies, potato, meat, fruit etc. So, the junk food would be the crisps and the chocolate biscuit which is irrelevant in my eyes.

Someone else's view of "junk food" may mean pizza and MacDonalds all day long, in which case, yes, maybe not such a great idea.

It depends on the "base diet" and the additions to the base diet, IMO.

There's even chips, chips and then there's chips (fries):

Chip 1: Chip shop, extreme deep fried fatty food.
    Chip 2: Oven chip, less fat (5%, so they claim).
    Chip 3: Straight cup chip (for deep frying, not oven chip) less fat again, negligible. [cooked in the oven, no fat required]

But which would we consider junk food? Certainly not the last one, even though it's still a chip; it's pretty much just potato.

I know some people will disagree, but the term junk food has to be established in relation to the amount being eaten as well.
    1-Finger Deadlift, 1RM: 80.3lbs/36.5kg

M&S Senior Member
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Quote Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
    I don't know about anyone else but I think the term "proper diet" is relative to what a person thinks to be proper diet as well. Unless everyone is reading the term the same way, we all end up going around in circles dicsussing the issue and missing some of the point to the initial query.

Since I was generally brought up on vegetables, sandwiches and cereal (which I hated, not a breakfast person) for me a slacking off from the "proper diet" may only mean a chocolate biscuit and a pack of crisps (chips) throughout the entire day; in addition to the toast, peanut butter, veggies, potato, meat, fruit etc. So, the junk food would be the crisps and the chocolate biscuit which is irrelevant in my eyes.

Someone else's view of "junk food" may mean pizza and MacDonalds all day long, in which case, yes, maybe not such a great idea.

It depends on the "base diet" and the additions to the base diet, IMO.

There's even chips, chips and then there's chips (fries):

Chip 1: Chip shop, extreme deep fried fatty food.
    Chip 2: Oven chip, less fat (5%, so they claim).
    Chip 3: Straight cup chip (for deep frying, not oven chip) less fat again, negligible. [cooked in the oven, no fat required]

But which would we consider junk food? Certainly not the last one, even though it's still a chip; it's pretty much just potato.

I know some people will disagree, but the term junk food has to be established in relation to the amount being eaten as well.
    Agreed, there are just too many variables.

My main point is, we shouldn't scare off newbies by saying you have to follow the book 100% or it isn't worth it.

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by sahorn View Post
    Agreed, there are just too many variables.

My main point is, we shouldn't scare off newbies by saying you have to follow the book 100% or it isn't worth it.
    I agree.

M&S Senior Member
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Just think of the gains you would of got if you had a good diet. The original poster was referring to BUILDING MUSCLE, not building STRENGTH, you can build strength on a crap diet but not muscle (apart from total beginners as I have already stated)

Doug, I'm sorry, I disagree.
    If one CAN build strength on a crap diet then it is possible to gain muscle mass with that same poor diet (to some degree).

According to you, it is impossible to gain muscle mass with a poor diet. Well, if we can get stronger with that same crap diet, then it is ABSOLUTELY possible to gain muscle mass. Unless, my muscles stay the same size during the course of progressing from 100lb bench to 300lb.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Sorry wrong thread!
    Last edited by Blaster; 07-03-2010 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Wrong page!
    Living Large

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Statements like this don't really help

Thanks!
    Great post! Couldn't have said it better myself!
    Sorry got to spread the love
    Living Large

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

not to be a jackass but MOST of you don't know what you are talking about!

You can gain/lose weight with whatever foods you want, the important thing is to Know how much calories and protein you are eating.

Now you could get shredded eating junk food, but why most people don-t do this?
    1. Usually its easier to overeat this type of foods, and they also don-t have enough protein.
    2. We are not considering health...just imagine lol.

Now please read this blog and learn the Secretz of Bodybuilding Its like the best summary of nutrition you could ever read.

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...ogId=176090863

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Abbe View Post

You can gain/lose weight with whatever foods you want, the important thing is to Know how much calories and protein you are eating.

1. Usually its easier to overeat this type of foods, and they also don-t have enough protein.

Now please read this blog and learn the Secretz of Bodybuilding Its like the best summary of nutrition you could ever read.

So you just have to worry about calories and protein and thats all? What about carbohydrates and fats? What about vitamins, minerals and fiber? There's a right way and a wrong way, your way is the wrong way. Sure you can lose weight by not eating also, does that make it healthy? You can gain weight by stuffing yourself with garbage also, does that make it healthy? Before you start telling people that they don't know what they are talking about look at what you just wrote.
    Living Large

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Nice blog.

The info is 4 years old and you state at the bottom....
    "Of course I still recognize the fact that the health factor shouldn't really ever be totally separated or ignored."

Looking at today's youth in my area, we are averaging an obesity rate of close to 57% of students - and since a lot of members here are of the younger persuasion I try to give some type of guidance that may help them make healthier choices so that they are not heading toward being another part of the obesity statistics.

While your post is good you also admit in the genetics section....
    but the ability to cause physique alterations can even change in a given individual over time.

So, with that in mind, if someone is at least shown how to make healthier food choices at an earlier age, they may be able to switch gears so to speak to progress even further in their training, muscle building, fat cutting, whatever....because they have this knowledge.

I agree no one will be a train wreck over some fast food or junk, but if they at least know there may be a limit of sorts, they will educate themselves on things to eat that may help their quality of life in later years, extend their life, prevent certain diseases, save on medical costs, life insurance and also set an example for others around them.

This is just the bigger picture for me and how I approach the whole diet/nutrition thing...it's not just regarding the weight training.
    Failure to Plan is Planning to Fail
    What's your plan?
    Yes, I am a Moderator

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by tadolfi View Post
    Nice blog.

"Of course I still recognize the fact that the health factor shouldn't really ever be totally separated or ignored."

Looking at today's youth in my area, we are averaging an obesity rate of close to 57% of students - and since a lot of members here are of the younger persuasion I try to give some type of guidance that may help them make healthier choices so that they are not heading toward being another part of the obesity statistics.

but the ability to cause physique alterations can even change in a given individual over time.

So, with that in mind, if someone is at least shown how to make healthier food choices at an earlier age, they may be able to switch gears so to speak to progress even further in their training, muscle building, fat cutting, whatever....because they have this knowledge.

I agree no one will be a train wreck over some fast food or junk, but if they at least know there may be a limit of sorts, they will educate themselves on things to eat that may help their quality of life in later years, extend their life, prevent certain diseases, save on medical costs, life insurance and also set an example for others around them.

This is just the bigger picture for me and how I approach the whole diet/nutrition thing...it's not just regarding the weight training.
    Nice post Troy! I wish i could put my thoughts down in words on a keyboard like you do. Never was very good at this writing stuff.
    Living Large

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    Nice post Troy! I wish i could put my thoughts down in words on a keyboard like you do. Never was very good at this writing stuff.
    Thanks, but I think you do fine brother!
    Not all of it has to be diplomatic or eloquent - sometimes a straight out one sentence post will have the same affect.
    What's your plan?
    Yes, I am a Moderator

M&S Senior Member
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Nice blog.

yeah, definite rep nice post! Although, i think abbe is just pointing out one can see incredible results with less than optimal tactics.

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Quote Originally Posted by sahorn View Post
    yeah, definite rep nice post! Although, i think abbe is just pointing out one can see incredible results with less than optimal tactics.
    Oh sure, no doubt and I'm staying neutral for the most part - all I'll say is this....
    look at the way a puppy plays vs. a dog....
    but even the puppy quits eating puppy chow one day.
    What's your plan?
    Yes, I am a Moderator

M&S Senior Member
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Oh sure, no doubt and I'm staying neutral for the most part - all I'll say is this....
    look at the way a puppy plays vs. a dog....
    but even the puppy quits eating puppy chow one day.
    very well put, sounds like you and i are in the same boat. lol

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I don-t think you got the idea...One can see gains even when some junk food is involved, of course I am not saying yeh go and bulk up eating mcdonalds that will not be healthy at all...if you still meet the calories and protein needed you will gain muscle.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

And I also would like to say that many people in this forum are really close minded...just because everyone says that there is only one way It dosen't mean that is the only correct way to achieve something.

If I would have say to the OP, why don't you try a ketogenic diet I bet someone would have say that oh no carbs carbs you need them.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I don-t think you got the idea...One can see gains even when some junk food is involved, of course I am not saying yeh go and bulk up eating mcdonalds that will not be healthy at all...if you still meet the calories and protein needed you will gain muscle.
    I think everyone knows that you can gain muscle by not eating all the right things. Depending on age, goals and lifestyle it might not be the right way for alot of people.
    Living Large

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log

I think the majority of people would agree with that, some junk food being fine; there will always be a handful of people who disagree maybe because they don't see "some" as "a little" but as bingeing

Junk food, of course, is a whole new area of contention...is a sandwich bought at a cafe considered junk food? Is a baked potato bought at a diner junk food? Is a decently balanced pizza (a good one, mozzarella cheese etc, Italian style) considered junk food? etc...But let's not get into that It's just food for thought

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

That Xaviour woman neg repped me saying I was full of myself. lol wtf.
    **30 day no fap challenge** Join me brothers!

muscleandstrength.com/forum/general-chat/68685-does-no-fap-work.html

I train to be an athlete not a bodybuilder

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Possum View Post
    I thought it was Bruin she didn't like Maybe went on a neg rep rampage.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

I thought it was Bruin she didn't like Maybe went on a neg rep rampage.
    Was gonna say ive been pretty good in this thread I think :P

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log

Was gonna say ive been pretty good in this thread I think :P
    Yeah, you only stated that you didn't count calories, basically...people are so tetchy these days...you watch, that'll get me a neg rep

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Man, that's just not right. I think she might have some issues with the old Possum charm. She didn't have any rep power anyway.
    Living Large

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    Man, that's just not right. I think she might have some issues with the old Possum charm. She didn't have any rep power anyway.
    Haha unfortunately a lot of girls have issues with the Possum charm

M&S Senior Member
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Haha unfortunately a lot of girls have issues with the Possum charm
    LOL!!! +rep for taking it like a man