MEMBER LOGIN

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Thumbs up Lower-back pain sorted with back support!

I purchased a back support that warms my lower-back and it has metal strips in it for support. I was able to lift more weight than ever without the pain!

I have suffered for years and years with lower back pain (probably due to weight) and sometimes standing at the sink washing up can cause pain. But bent over rows, deadlifts, military press and even standing barbell curls used to but a lot of pressure on the lower back.

Anyway, just thought I would throw that out there for anyone that was having lower back pain and was considering something like that.

There are 2 types of people: those who enjoy learning from others; and those who think they know it all!

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Other

Back support is good, but it does not cure the underlying problem. So if you train heavier my question to you would be would your pain be even greater when you take the belt off? Remember if you do not perform any core exercises then using a support for your back in this case could be making your trunk weaker for it depends on the support. Support helps maintain an erect posturing which also helps by increased intraabdominal pressure to keep your back stable which keeps the unstable segment in alignment thus reducing tension. The use of a belt could actually be really improving your posture with the activity thus reducing the strain.

So if you are having discomfort from exercise it very well can be improved upon by use of a support but real world is that does it cure the problem?
    A home gym consisting of Bowflex Power-Pro XTL and power blocks(5-90). Also been working out consistently at a community center-JCC since November of 2014. Nice to have the home gym to fall back on off days.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Hi,

I agree with what you have said. It is a good question as to whether it cures the problem or not (I don't know) or whether it helps to ease the pain (it most certainly does)?

Also agree that it is helping with my posture while lifting. For me, 95kg bent-over barbell rows is a heavy weight to lift and the only place I really felt pressure was on my lower back. I used to get back pain when I laid down flat on a bed and had to turn on my side. Also, doing about 55kg military presses lifting from the floor puts a lot of pressure on my lower back and feels like the weakest part of this lift.

Since I have been lifting heavy weights, including deadlifts, squats, bent-over rows, military press etc... my back pain has almost gone. I can stand at the sink for longer with no pain, I very rarely get pain when laying flat in bed and my posture is better. I know that this is down to weightlifting.

But I still feel the 'pressure' on lower-back while doing some of these compound lifts and the belt has seemed to ease that pressure a lot. Another thing this belt has done is to make the muscle feel more relaxed after I take it off. After reading about the belt (it's an LP Support back support - the cream/brown one) it's supposed to warm the muscles, this in it's self just feels nice after lifting!

Anyway, thanks for your informative contribution. Repped.
    There are 2 types of people: those who enjoy learning from others; and those who think they know it all!

Frequent Poster
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by faun2500 View Post
    Hi,

I agree with what you have said. It is a good question as to whether it cures the problem or not (I don't know) or whether it helps to ease the pain (it most certainly does)?

Also agree that it is helping with my posture while lifting. For me, 95kg bent-over barbell rows is a heavy weight to lift and the only place I really felt pressure was on my lower back. I used to get back pain when I laid down flat on a bed and had to turn on my side. Also, doing about 55kg military presses lifting from the floor puts a lot of pressure on my lower back and feels like the weakest part of this lift.

Since I have been lifting heavy weights, including deadlifts, squats, bent-over rows, military press etc... my back pain has almost gone. I can stand at the sink for longer with no pain, I very rarely get pain when laying flat in bed and my posture is better. I know that this is down to weightlifting.

But I still feel the 'pressure' on lower-back while doing some of these compound lifts and the belt has seemed to ease that pressure a lot. Another thing this belt has done is to make the muscle feel more relaxed after I take it off. After reading about the belt (it's an LP Support back support - the cream/brown one) it's supposed to warm the muscles, this in it's self just feels nice after lifting!

Anyway, thanks for your informative contribution. Repped.
    I definitely agree with Yitmy, using a belt for standing barbell curls is ok because at makes sure you don't cheat, but other than that, using a belt will make your core weak. Best thing to do is strengthen up that lower back, make sure it is flexible and probably the most important thing is using proper form.
    Don't talk about it, just be about it.