MEMBER LOGIN

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 59
  1. #26
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Oct 2009
    • Posts
      2
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Female
    • Location
      New York
    • Reputation
      10
    • Rep Power
      0

    Default Hii

    I’ve been working out for many years now, and i want to know how I can tone my body better without losing a large portion of weight, mostly my chest and midsection? I’m 6ft 198lbs I would like to be around 195 but in much better “shape”. My diet sucks and i’m trying to work on it, but I work out at the gym 2-3 times a week lifting weights and running. I dont run a whole bunch though, would that help my problem or will that just make me lose wieght?
    Barbara

  2. #27
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Nov 2009
    • Posts
      6
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Female
    • Location
      NYC
    • Reputation
      10
    • Rep Power
      0

    Default

    I'm one of those women who respond very well to weight training. I also gain weight easily. After lifting regularly and doing long-distance cycling, I stopped it all and following grad school (8 years ago) I wound up 5'7, 240 lbs. Now I'm 165lbs, and my body fat has dropped 15%. Still have a bit of bodyfat left to lose to get to my goal (155, 23-25%)

    As for "bulking up" well, I'm a lot leaner now than at 240! I am actually trying to build more muscle now since I seem to have plateaued. I just started a killer split a couple of weeks ago with a very heavy leg day. I've added .5 inch on my legs in a couple of weeks, but they actually feel harder, and already look noticeably better. I'm not emphasizing bodyfat loss right now, so I'm going to ride it out.

    Some women do build more muscle than others, but I really believe the fault lies primarily with bodyfat. The bodyfat loss is slower. An overall plan with a clean diet that meets caloric needs and cardio on non-lifting days or after lifting (moderate intensity) will help.

  3. #28
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Dec 2009
    • Posts
      2
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Gender
      Female
    • Location
      india
    • Reputation
      10
    • Rep Power
      0

    Default i dont think so lifting weight to lose fat.

    Is my opinion , doing the weight lifting is not right option for weight loose. bcoz, for the weight lifting women need more diet and health.
    woman need very shapeful body. not muscle body as like man. i think so women can done the yoga which make her body language very hot & sexy.
    Practicing any yoga posture in a relaxing way with slow deep breathing and the intention to let go and relax the nervous system can be very beneficial in decreasing the symptoms of allergies. Kapalabhati breathing is great for allergies as it forces out the mucus. (Don't forget to keep tissues within easy reach!) The relaxation time at the end of a yoga class can also be an important part of decreasing allergic immune response. Encourage your students to relax and affirm that the relaxation will help decrease their reaction to allergens. However, be aware that students suffering from allergies may become too congested when lying on their backs; you can suggest they lie on the stomach or side if that's more comfortable.

    Relaxing the nervous system has been shown to help direct the immune system to attack the viruses and bacteria that increase in colder weather. Colds are caused by bacteria and affect the upper respiratory system, causing stuffiness, coughing, sore throat, etc. If the immune system is weak, the bacteria can go into the lungs and cause bronchitis or pneumonia. Viruses go deeper into the system, causing chills, fever or pain and aching in the joints.

    But a strong immune system can frost the invaders within a few days, preventing more extreme manifestations of the illness and in fact strengthening the immune system. Again, yoga postures done in a relaxed way and slow, deep pranayama can help relax the nervous system and boost the immune response.

    Another way to build the immune system and improve sinus-related conditions is to focus on the thymus gland. Located in the chest, the thymus gland is the locus of the immune system. Thus both the thymus gland and the immune system are stimulated by any posture in which we open the chest and breathe deeply into it. The most beneficial postures for this purpose are the Cobra, the Pigeon, the Fish, the Boat, the Bow and the Bridge.

    Since the thymus gland corresponds to the fourth chakra, these postures can be enhanced by including chakra sounds such as the fourth chakra bij mantra "yum" or the fourth chakra vowel sound "ay." Kapalabhati breathing or slow deep ujjayi breathing in postures where the chest is open can also be beneficial. Experiment with practicing the postures as you breathe deeply into the chest and sound the mantras. My audiotape on Prana Yoga, send out through KYTA last spring, will help guide you in combining the mantras with the postures.

    With a relaxed nervous system and a focused and revitalized immune system, you'll find you're able to resist autumn allergens and throw off winter's infections more readily.
    Practicing the postures, breathing exercises and meditation makes you healthier in body, mind and spirit. Yoga lets you tune in, chill out, shape up -- all at the same time.

    For many people, that's enough of an answer. But there's more if you're interested.

    For starters, yoga is good for what ails you. Specifically, research shows that yoga helps manage or control anxiety, arthritis, asthma, back pain, blood pressure, carpal tunnel syndrome, chronic fatigue, depression, diabetes, epilepsy, headaches, heart disease, multiple sclerosis, stress and other conditions and diseases.
    Last edited by muscletrainerdh; 12-28-2009 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Link Removed.

  4. #29
    BGD - Superset Superman muscletrainerdh's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Dec 2007
    • Posts
      9,795
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      New Castle, PA
    • Reputation
      37,340,953
    • Rep Power
      373,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amoli View Post
    Is my opinion , doing the weight lifting is not right option for weight loose. bcoz, for the weight lifting women need more diet and health.
    woman need very shapeful body. not muscle body as like man. i think so women can done the yoga which make her body language very hot & sexy.
    Practicing any yoga posture in a relaxing way with slow deep breathing and the intention to let go and relax the nervous system can be very beneficial in decreasing the symptoms of allergies. Kapalabhati breathing is great for allergies as it forces out the mucus. (Don't forget to keep tissues within easy reach!) The relaxation time at the end of a yoga class can also be an important part of decreasing allergic immune response. Encourage your students to relax and affirm that the relaxation will help decrease their reaction to allergens. However, be aware that students suffering from allergies may become too congested when lying on their backs; you can suggest they lie on the stomach or side if that's more comfortable.

    Relaxing the nervous system has been shown to help direct the immune system to attack the viruses and bacteria that increase in colder weather. Colds are caused by bacteria and affect the upper respiratory system, causing stuffiness, coughing, sore throat, etc. If the immune system is weak, the bacteria can go into the lungs and cause bronchitis or pneumonia. Viruses go deeper into the system, causing chills, fever or pain and aching in the joints.

    But a strong immune system can frost the invaders within a few days, preventing more extreme manifestations of the illness and in fact strengthening the immune system. Again, yoga postures done in a relaxed way and slow, deep pranayama can help relax the nervous system and boost the immune response.

    Another way to build the immune system and improve sinus-related conditions is to focus on the thymus gland. Located in the chest, the thymus gland is the locus of the immune system. Thus both the thymus gland and the immune system are stimulated by any posture in which we open the chest and breathe deeply into it. The most beneficial postures for this purpose are the Cobra, the Pigeon, the Fish, the Boat, the Bow and the Bridge.

    Since the thymus gland corresponds to the fourth chakra, these postures can be enhanced by including chakra sounds such as the fourth chakra bij mantra "yum" or the fourth chakra vowel sound "ay." Kapalabhati breathing or slow deep ujjayi breathing in postures where the chest is open can also be beneficial. Experiment with practicing the postures as you breathe deeply into the chest and sound the mantras. My audiotape on Prana Yoga, send out through KYTA last spring, will help guide you in combining the mantras with the postures.

    With a relaxed nervous system and a focused and revitalized immune system, you'll find you're able to resist autumn allergens and throw off winter's infections more readily.
    Practicing the postures, breathing exercises and meditation makes you healthier in body, mind and spirit. Yoga lets you tune in, chill out, shape up -- all at the same time.

    For many people, that's enough of an answer. But there's more if you're interested.

    For starters, yoga is good for what ails you. Specifically, research shows that yoga helps manage or control anxiety, arthritis, asthma, back pain, blood pressure, carpal tunnel syndrome, chronic fatigue, depression, diabetes, epilepsy, headaches, heart disease, multiple sclerosis, stress and other conditions and diseases.
    You are indeed entitled to your opinion. But women do need to lift weights to improve bone density and strenthen muscles, something Yoga doesn't do too efficiently.

    Not saying there are not a lot of healthful benefits of Yoga, just saying you can do BOTH and optimize health, it's not just one or the other.

    Peace,

    Dave
    POWER LEVEL: 54,481

    Sarcasm and Cynicism are not helpful or attractive traits, respond to posts as you wish to be responded to.

  5. #30
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Jan 2010
    • Posts
      18
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Gender
      Female
    • Location
      Buffalo, NY
    • Reputation
      5
    • Rep Power
      0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxmilian View Post
    He but just dont go too far women with huge muscles and definition just suck (men are looking for girls not for buff pseudo_women)
    That's so offensive! Just because you don't like women with bigger muscles doesn't mean that all men feel like you do. And who are you to judge what is appealing in a woman? I think it's up for her to decide whether or not she likes her body...

  6. #31
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Jan 2010
    • Posts
      18
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Gender
      Female
    • Location
      Buffalo, NY
    • Reputation
      5
    • Rep Power
      0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleManiac View Post
    Excuse me? What? NEWS FLASH! Women who work out have different goals the same as men, whether it be to lose weight or to build HUGE MUSCLES. It's an individual preference. They don't need a pseudo-DADDY to tell them what to do and how they should look. and what women choose to do with their bodies has ZERO to do with what men are "looking for". It has everything to do with what a woman likes about her SELF and what SHE feels comfortable with. Men who are secure in their manhood and not focused on their own "Shortcomings" are not threatened by women with muscles..in fact they like it. And those who don't..who cares?
    Hell ya!

  7. #32
    Seasoned M&S Veteran BLITZKRIEG's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jul 2009
    • Posts
      2,311
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      NY
    • Reputation
      13,917,801
    • Rep Power
      139,200

    Default

    This is quite an interesting read. I will have my better half read this. We are both in our mid-30's and have to think about the future.

    Thanks for the info!
    "Your Health Is Your Wealth"
    Age 36 Height 5' 7"
    Current (3-1-10) BW 158.5 Lbs BF% 21.4
    Previous (2-11-10) BW 154 Lbs BF% 22.2
    Present Goal: Keep Training

  8. #33
    Coming Up The Ranks maiku83's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jan 2010
    • Posts
      86
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Rexburg, Idaho
    • Reputation
      16,927,096
    • Rep Power
      169,280

    Default

    WOW! having more lean muscle on your body means burning fat faster.

    Does this mean that if I bulk first, my cutting would be more efficient and faster since I have more muscle?

  9. #34
    Regular Poster neodauz's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Dec 2009
    • Posts
      488
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      i'm with your mama
    • Reputation
      13,431,725
    • Rep Power
      134,329

    Default

    so does it mean that when we gain muscle.. we also can lose fat?
    17 year old
    bench press: 50kg
    deadlift: 80kg
    leg press: 120kg

  10. #35
    Coming Up The Ranks MuscleManiac's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jul 2009
    • Posts
      131
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Female
    • Location
      Georgia
    • Reputation
      475
    • Rep Power
      15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Your quite right, some females do find it easier to build muscle than normal, and these females have higher testosterone levels than a normal female. Testosterone in females is used for sex drive, and normally a female with a high sex drive does well in the gym..
    It's been such a struggle to fit eating, sleeping and going to work in between my almost constant sex orgies and work-outs...now I KNOW WHY! TESTOSTERONE BOMB! I always rather suspected it. Mystery solved! Thanks, Doug!

  11. #36
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Nov 2010
    • Posts
      32
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Female
    • Location
      Europe
    • Reputation
      159
    • Rep Power
      10

    Default

    Hi I am new to the site and this is first thing I read!

    I really love the gain 5lbs of muscle and fat loss of 23lbs a year! wow intresting one!

    I have started lifting weight about 4months now but it was nothing to serious just full body workout 3times a week. I have to say I really love lifting weights and would rather do that over tons of cardio! Don't get me wrong but I like my few spin classes a week also

  12. #37
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Nov 2010
    • Posts
      32
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Female
    • Location
      Europe
    • Reputation
      159
    • Rep Power
      10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleManiac View Post
    It's been such a struggle to fit eating, sleeping and going to work in between my almost constant sex orgies and work-outs...now I KNOW WHY! TESTOSTERONE BOMB! I always rather suspected it. Mystery solved! Thanks, Doug!

    WOW maybe that's the answer for me also!!!

  13. #38
    Coming Up The Ranks birdwatcher's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Nov 2010
    • Posts
      216
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Female
    • Location
      67357
    • Reputation
      30,142
    • Rep Power
      311

    Default

    i have loved lifting ever since I started it in high school. cardio is a necessary evil though. ick. i hate when I talk to women about working out and they refuse to lift weights b/c of bulking. so annoying. I always want to say, "look at me, then look at you... who looks better?" but i dont' want to be rude.

    also, a woman should NEVER work out for a man. do it for yourself!
    SNickell

  14. #39
    M&S Senior Member Cytrainer913's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jan 2011
    • Posts
      909
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      at the gym
    • Reputation
      42,628
    • Rep Power
      439

    Default easy answer

    Quote Originally Posted by JPN999 View Post
    yh it takes longer on men than women
    Well simply it's the amount of testosterone that men have compared to women, we have lots of it women have very small amounts of it and the amount of muscle also drives weight loss, too and again for the most part men just have more mass and more muscle, thus we lose easier.

    It's an unfair world that i wish i could change for my wife who works so hard to stay in great shape. somatotypes are just the worst and sux for many who have to do things that most wouldn't have to do just to lose weight-I mean body FAT!
    Craig Yarnall, CSCS, CPT, WNBF Pro
    "Want a Bigger BODY, shut up and SQUAT, DEEP!!!!"
    "Lifetime Natural Bodybuilder"
    "Train Hard and Stay Natural"
    "See Dick Train. See Dick train chest and arms everyday. Don't be a chicken-legged Dick! Squat!"

  15. #40
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Jan 2011
    • Posts
      2
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Austrlia
    • Reputation
      10
    • Rep Power
      0

    Default

    Hi,
    Exercise. Remember, you can lose weight either by decreasing your calorie intake or increasing the number of calories you burn. Any health strategy should include both, but if you want to lose weight fast, exercise is essential. By making time for exercise and other healthy, productive activities, you can also avoid temptation to overeat.
    Perform low impact aerobic activities. Moderate aerobic workouts incorporating brisk walking, cycling, aerobic machines, or swimming not only burn calories they also keep your heart healthy.

    **advertising link deleted**
    Last edited by Doug; 01-19-2011 at 06:22 AM.

  16. #41
    Just joined M&S Jessiem84's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Oct 2010
    • Posts
      16
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Tone Up
    • Gender
      Female
    • Location
      South Africa
    • Reputation
      335
    • Rep Power
      0

    Default

    Thanks Doug - awesome article.
    I have always been nervous about working with weights as I have always had quite a sporty build with bulky arms. 3 1/2 months ago I started on a serious program and the difference and transformation has already been amazing. My arms actually got smaller and tighter. I mixed weight training with cardio 6x a week. I am getting quite addicted and definitely want to start pushing it a little harder with the weights now that I know there is nothing to be scared of.
    Most of my info I have gotten off this website - I love it
    Goal - Fat Loss and toning
    Age - 26
    Current weight - 52kg
    Height - 160cm
    Started Training October 2010 and loving it

  17. #42
    Coming Up The Ranks Julez's Avatar
    • Join Date
      May 2010
    • Posts
      126
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Gender
      Female
    • Location
      N/A
    • Reputation
      2,027
    • Rep Power
      30

    Default

    Great article. Wish I'd learned this a long time ago. I've always been pretty active and got up to various different sports over the years but nothing has transformed my body in such a short amount of time like heavy resistance training has.

    About the bulking thing. I had very little fat on my upper body and legs before I started lifting weights so when I started building muscle in those areas and becoming more defined I did notice some of my clothes getting a little tighter but I really don't care, I've lost inches on my midsection (always my problem area) so I look smaller and more in proportion plus the definition all over looks great.

  18. #43
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Aug 2011
    • Posts
      4
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Tone Up
    • Gender
      Female
    • Location
      England
    • Reputation
      88
    • Rep Power
      0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    Excellent post mate.

    I would like to see more women in the weight room and less on the treadmills!
    2nd post ever so be gentle, lol X}

    This point of view is centred from a non-confident beginner at excercise!

    Just... thought i'd add in about the weight room - Women, [well, i'm assuming most women, not the hyper confident ones XD] are generally v v v critical of themselves - My boyfriend is adament he likes a 'belly' and will say that my hair is lovely when it is quite obviously in need of a trim and cut, dresses that i KNOW arent right for my body shape he will insist look nice on me etc etc...in fact he says Im prettier without make up...???...which as a woman is baffling to understand...my point being that women criticise other women and themselves a lot!


    The Weight room is a TERRIFYING place to be! :O

    Not only are you presented with a Mirror Wall(!!!!) but you are surrounded mostly by people who look like they know what theyre doing! Grunting and puffing and groaning and flexing...as a beginner its like the lions den!
    I always think that people in the weight room would take one look at me and scoff. Being in the gym is hard enough as youre trying to do your best at working out without worrying that you're being critised from others too

    And most people are nice yes But most people also 'look' 'scan' 'judge' in the gym, no matter how nice they are!

    So er, yeh! Lol, I admire any women who venture in there!

  19. #44
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Jul 2011
    • Posts
      12
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Gender
      Female
    • Location
      Australia
    • Reputation
      10
    • Rep Power
      0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
    Please, Doug, call it whatever you wish. You are the expert. I am just a beginner, so I do not know proper terminology. I am just saying that my arms and legs were skinny, and now they are muscular (which shows) and therefore bigger. I still do not see much fat on them, just those muscles.
    Hello!
    you have most likely put on muscle mass like what Doug says.
    that being said, women really don't bulk up as much as men do just cos we have so much less testosterone!

    also, "bulking up" really depends on the number of reps that you do per set in the gym.
    scientific evidence has shown that 8-15 reps per set works on hypertrophy i.e. building muscle mass.

    I've been on a programme for 4 weeks and i'm just wondering the same thing about muscle mass. just realised tonight that my muscles have definitely gotten bigger. But at the same time, I've noticed that my ass and thighs have somewhat gotten a little bit smaller. I've been doing about 8 to 12 reps per set for each exercise. 3 sets each time.

    Hope this feedback helps.

    And I'm a girl too. haha! never really believed the scientific evidence until i started on this programme! its so interesting seeing how the body adapts!

  20. #45
    Trusted Advisor Doug's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jul 2006
    • Posts
      32,484
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      UK
    • Reputation
      1,385,257,343
    • Rep Power
      13,852,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by livii View Post
    Hello!
    you have most likely put on muscle mass like what Doug says.
    that being said, women really don't bulk up as much as men do just cos we have so much less testosterone!

    also, "bulking up" really depends on the number of reps that you do per set in the gym.
    scientific evidence has shown that 8-15 reps per set works on hypertrophy i.e. building muscle mass.

    I've been on a programme for 4 weeks and i'm just wondering the same thing about muscle mass. just realised tonight that my muscles have definitely gotten bigger. But at the same time, I've noticed that my ass and thighs have somewhat gotten a little bit smaller. I've been doing about 8 to 12 reps per set for each exercise. 3 sets each time.

    Hope this feedback helps.

    And I'm a girl too. haha! never really believed the scientific evidence until i started on this programme! its so interesting seeing how the body adapts!
    Congratulations on the body composition changes
    Doug

    Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

    * My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

    * My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

    * My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

    "You can't out-train a lousy diet"

  21. #46
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Sep 2011
    • Posts
      1
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Gender
      Female
    • Location
      Portland, Oregon
    • Reputation
      10
    • Rep Power
      0

    Default

    I agree and thank you for posting such a reassuring post on lifting! It's refreshing mentally to read that I am doing the right thing. I have been doing it all wrong apparently, by not incorporating weights into my routine. 2 weeks of strength training and I can feel and see the difference. Cardio on the elliptical was fabulous for the last few months, but that has not nearly given me results like weights have been. I have to admit, I knew I would never bulk up like the hulk because women just don't have the testosterone to do so, but I can say I was intimidated by training beside a man. Fear of not properly lifting, but from this site. I have been able to look up exactly how I should be peforming properly. Most women I know, actually have had the same exact fear and I know I am not alone with this one ladies. I currently do a routine 3x's a week on non consecutive days, but my question is if I can add in at least 1 more day. Will this be too much for my body? I do feel extremely exhausted after I lift the next day and take the day off. I want to go do cardio on my non weights day, but feel I should better rest instead. I just want to make sure I don't over exert myself, but I also know this fatigue will pass, and I will want to do the lifting at least four times a week. Is this okay?

  22. #47
    M&S Senior Member Cytrainer913's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jan 2011
    • Posts
      909
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      at the gym
    • Reputation
      42,628
    • Rep Power
      439

    Default Are you serious?

    "Weight lifting is not more better for the losing fat"

    Ummmm what planet are you from and are stuck in the 70's aerobics phase for some reason? Check out the latest research and this will show just the opposite of what you just stated and I hope your being sarcastic, because the new way to lose bodyfat and retain muscle IS TO LIFT WEIGHTS! It keeps lean muscle on the body and increases your BMR and burns more calories throughout the day, so yeah your statement has been disproved years ago!
    Craig Yarnall, CSCS, CPT, WNBF Pro
    "Want a Bigger BODY, shut up and SQUAT, DEEP!!!!"
    "Lifetime Natural Bodybuilder"
    "Train Hard and Stay Natural"
    "See Dick Train. See Dick train chest and arms everyday. Don't be a chicken-legged Dick! Squat!"

  23. #48
    Just joined M&S joyful86's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Nov 2011
    • Posts
      4
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Lose Weight
    • Gender
      Female
    • Location
      USA
    • Reputation
      10
    • Rep Power
      0

    Default

    Gymrat: I do cardio just about every day, and weight train roughly 3-4 days a week. My arms have stayed the same size, but less fat and much more muscle and definition. I rotate sets with heavier and lighter weights so it's not the same all the time. I've also adjusted my diet for this too. I'm not sure if this is a good approach for everyone, but it works for me.

  24. #49
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Dec 2011
    • Posts
      2
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Tone Up
    • Gender
      Female
    • Location
      United States
    • Reputation
      10
    • Rep Power
      0

    Default Help? please...

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Women can "tone" but not bulk up like men due to the amount of testosterone that females produce,

    Some women lift weights but fail to follow a correct diet and cardio, so yes they tone up, but with bodyfat still on the arms and not going down then they do get bigger...
    I have been working out for over a year now, my main goal was to lose weight and tone up. I have gained some muscle overall, but I still feel I look the same with minor improvement... I was doing light weights and 3 sets of 20 reps of each exercise. I don't have a diet per say, but I do watch what I eat and keep a calorie count each day. I recently came across some articles while doing some research and I've learned that it's best to lift heavier weights and less reps. I've also started to include a protein shake after my morning workouts and a later intake of protein with water in the evening. I haven't noticed a drop in weight which was my main goal but I do see more muscle in my arms.. is there anything I should try doing to see the result I'd like to see on the dreaded scale... ?

  25. #50
    Trusted Advisor Doug's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jul 2006
    • Posts
      32,484
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      UK
    • Reputation
      1,385,257,343
    • Rep Power
      13,852,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOconor View Post
    I have been working out for over a year now, my main goal was to lose weight and tone up. I have gained some muscle overall, but I still feel I look the same with minor improvement... I was doing light weights and 3 sets of 20 reps of each exercise. I don't have a diet per say, but I do watch what I eat and keep a calorie count each day. I recently came across some articles while doing some research and I've learned that it's best to lift heavier weights and less reps. I've also started to include a protein shake after my morning workouts and a later intake of protein with water in the evening. I haven't noticed a drop in weight which was my main goal but I do see more muscle in my arms.. is there anything I should try doing to see the result I'd like to see on the dreaded scale... ?
    Hi, welcome to the forum

    I think you are being a typical female and are concentrating on the "weight" issue. It doesnt matter what you weigh, but how you look in the mirror. If you perform high reps that is more aerobic training and not for toning the muscles. Use a rep range of 8-10 reps. Dont worry about getting bulky, your testosterone levels wont allow that.

    By monitoring your body fat percentage, total body fat and fat free mass you will see exactly what is happening with your body. Dont rely on the scales though as you may build some muscle and lose fat at the same time but still be the same weight (hope that makes sense)

    With regard to obtaining the right amount of calories have a look at the approximate amount of calorie requirement for your BMR and activity level. (use the link below)

    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/too...alculator.html
    Doug

    Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

    * My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

    * My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

    * My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

    "You can't out-train a lousy diet"

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Can't lift heavy weights
    By Dappy in forum Workouts & Training
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-11-2010, 05:31 PM
  2. Cardio on days that you dont lift weights?
    By carl4325 in forum Beginners Questions & Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-15-2009, 06:24 PM
  3. Best way to lift weights.
    By Maxi in forum Beginners Questions & Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-22-2009, 11:32 PM
  4. Should i burn fat or just lift weights
    By trdgordo in forum Teen Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-26-2009, 11:41 PM
  5. lose weight or lift weights?
    By tomalley1975 in forum Beginners Questions & Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-25-2009, 06:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •