MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Shoulder Pain from (behind the head) Military Press

Recently I have been experiencing pain in my shoulder ever since I started doing the behind the head miltary press. I have read that this exercise tend to put alot of stress on the shoulder and thus I have stoppped that workout. My question is what should I do about the pain in my shoulder. My shoulder hurts whenever I do bench press, overhead press, etc. anything that involves pushing or just having my arm in the certain position to where it hurts. Just wondering what I should do in order to ease the pain.

-Andrew

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

Rest up, if it continues see a doctor. I did them on the smith machine once, had a little bit of pain so I never did them again.
    Squat 2.1x BW Squat, 1.75xBW Bench Press, 2.5xBW Deadlift (425/350/500)
    205 lbs @7%

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Other

stop pressing behind the head. it forces your shoulders to move unnaturally which can be detrimental.
    "above all things if kindness is your king, then heaven will be yours before you meet your end" -Dave Matthews

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal

There probably isn't a lifter out there that hasn't felt some pain in the shoulder at some stage. I felt mine twinge doing upright rows and immediately chopped them from my routine.

You should consult a professional regarding this injury and ask them to give you some exercises for strengthening the rotator cuff muscles in the shoulder joint, as to prevent further inflammation of the joint.

As for behind the neck press, its like the upright row, there are plenty of other exercises that hit the same muscle groups yet keep you in a less venerable position.

Größte Mutter im Zimmer Abaddon's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

Everybody is correct - don't train for at least a week, and in that time see a doc, get some physio.
    When you return to training, don't do military press behind the head anymore! Some people can do it ok, but personally I cannot. It feels uncomfortable and wrong.
    WEST AUSTRALIAN AMATEUR STRONGMAN
    AXLE CLEAN-PRESS: 105 kgs/ 231 lbs BENCH PRESS: 135 kgs / 298 lbs DEADLIFT: 220 kgs / 485 lbs FARMERS WALK: 240 kgs / 530 lbs, for 50 feet FRONT SQUAT: 100 kgs / 220 lbs KROC ROW: 82.5 kgs / 182 lbs left 5 reps, right 4 reps LOG CLEAN-PRESS: 105 kgs STANDING OHP: 90 kgs / 198 lbs TYRE FLIP: 260 kgs / 573 lbs, for 100 feet

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Training Log

You may wish to PM MuscleCub. He has a shoulder injury and I'm sure he would have some great suggestions for you. Steve, a moderator here, is really the only one around here that I know of that is able to them safely. I'm lucky as I have never even tried them and never will. My high school gym teacher advised me to never do them - and that was 28 years ago
    My favorite part of lifting is having the opportunity
    Every Rep Matters
    Best Meet Totals:
    Squat: 403 lbs
    Bench: 253 lbs
    Deadlift: 463 lbs
    Totals: 1119 lbs

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I guess I will have to go see a doctor or maybe I could try messaging Steve first and see if he has any suggestions. I have stopped that workout ever since I started feeling pain and I dont plan on doing it again. Thanks for the help guys.

Team Bear
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Andrew016, as Squatter mentioned, I've been battling off- and on- shoulder issues (right shoulder) for some time. I had to drop upright rows immediately. I never did behind the back press, but I dropped behind the back pull down to be safe. With Pull Ups, I had to use a narrower grip, not go to 90 degrees on dips, and more.

Things that have helped were internal/external rotation exercises, broomstick/towel stretches and some of the DC shoulder rehab stuff (especially the stretches I could do in my office standing against a wall).

My injury has not gotten better (even with stretches and towel/broomstick work), so I am now in PT (and off any upper body work until it gets sorted). I probably should have seen someone a lot earlier than I did.

My advice is to see a doctor (or a sports PT if you do not need a referral with your insurance). Make sure to explain to them that you want to continue lifting and to explain in as much detail as you can when and what makes the muscle/joint hurt (and be prepared to classify the pain-- nagging, searing, burning, thorbbing, etc.). If you cen get whatever it is identified and corrected early, you can likely keep lifting a wider variety of exercises and avoid further injury.

Good luck and feel free to PM me!
    "Look son, there comes a time in every man's life when he has to make a decision. Do you want to be big, powerful, jacked, yoked-up, have women everywhere want you and men fear you . . . or do you want to do CrossFit?"

Größte Mutter im Zimmer Abaddon's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleCub View Post
    Andrew016, as Squatter mentioned, I've been battling off- and on- shoulder issues (right shoulder) for some time. I had to drop upright rows immediately. I never did behind the back press, but I dropped behind the back pull down to be safe. With Pull Ups, I had to use a narrower grip, not go to 90 degrees on dips, and more.

Things that have helped were internal/external rotation exercises, broomstick/towel stretches and some of the DC shoulder rehab stuff (especially the stretches I could do in my office standing against a wall).

My injury has not gotten better (even with stretches and towel/broomstick work), so I am now in PT (and off any upper body work until it gets sorted). I probably should have seen someone a lot earlier than I did.

My advice is to see a doctor (or a sports PT if you do not need a referral with your insurance). Make sure to explain to them that you want to continue lifting and to explain in as much detail as you can when and what makes the muscle/joint hurt (and be prepared to classify the pain-- nagging, searing, burning, thorbbing, etc.). If you cen get whatever it is identified and corrected early, you can likely keep lifting a wider variety of exercises and avoid further injury.

Good luck and feel free to PM me!
    Apparently, I've given too much rep out in the last 24 hours, so this will have to do Cub.

Excellent post!
    WEST AUSTRALIAN AMATEUR STRONGMAN
    AXLE CLEAN-PRESS: 105 kgs/ 231 lbs BENCH PRESS: 135 kgs / 298 lbs DEADLIFT: 220 kgs / 485 lbs FARMERS WALK: 240 kgs / 530 lbs, for 50 feet FRONT SQUAT: 100 kgs / 220 lbs KROC ROW: 82.5 kgs / 182 lbs left 5 reps, right 4 reps LOG CLEAN-PRESS: 105 kgs STANDING OHP: 90 kgs / 198 lbs TYRE FLIP: 260 kgs / 573 lbs, for 100 feet

Team Bear
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Thanks, Man!

If I can't lift at the moment, I hope to be able to still contribute to the site and help (when I am not in a foul mood from not being able to lift).
    "Look son, there comes a time in every man's life when he has to make a decision. Do you want to be big, powerful, jacked, yoked-up, have women everywhere want you and men fear you . . . or do you want to do CrossFit?"

Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
    Apparently, I've given too much rep out in the last 24 hours, so this will have to do Cub.

Excellent post!
    No problem, I covered the excellent advice with a rep+ for ya

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleCub View Post
    Thanks, Man!

If I can't lift at the moment, I hope to be able to still contribute to the site and help (when I am not in a foul mood from not being able to lift).
    I hope so, many people will benefit And when you can't lift, but still structure some form of workout, that also helps others to realise that it can be done so they don't lose heart if and when they end up in a similar situation.
    1-Finger Deadlift, 1RM: 80.3lbs/36.5kg

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Thanks Muscle Cub, I will look into those rotation exercises. Hopefully they will help strengthen whatever is wrong with my shoulder and prevent any further injury. Really appreciate the help. I want to keep lifting to my full potential!

Team Bear
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew016 View Post
    Thanks Muscle Cub, I will look into those rotation exercises. Hopefully they will help strengthen whatever is wrong with my shoulder and prevent any further injury. Really appreciate the help. I want to keep lifting to my full potential!
    Welcome, Andrew-- also have a read at these two posts in my log. Other things seem to have impacted my shoulder:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/for...6-post970.html

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/for...8-post978.html

Again, good luck!

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Other
    A home gym consisting of Bowflex Power-Pro XTL and power blocks(5-90). Also been working out consistently at a community center-JCC since November of 2014. Nice to have the home gym to fall back on off days.