MEMBER LOGIN

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Theory vs Reality

That wasn't a very good title, but i cant think of anything else. So i know that theoretical every exercise should be done with perfect form and at a slow place for maximum results. But it very difficult to argue this with examples, as im sure everyone reading this knows bodybuilders don't use perfect form and do most of their exercises at a fast pace.

So basically im asking; why do people who devout their who lives and career to bodybuilder ignore the basic principles taught to people at a lower level?

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Personally I think that they are on a whole different level and they do things that probaly works good for them and not so good for someone who lacks the knowledge they have from years of experience. I do see where you are coming from tho.
    "A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
    Currently Bulking
    [
    :

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

That's a good question.

I believe many sacrifice form because they are so caught up with the ' overload ' principal ( lifting as heavy as possible ) and the amount of weight lifted in the exercise.
    A fair few lifters have an issue with using a light weight to accomplish a set in good form, so instead they would rather comprimise form, risk an injury and lift more weight.

Many trainers do fall into bad habits, and those habits can stick with them for years.
    Consistency is the key

The Thrilla from Phila!! bigtim27's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

I was guilty of using bad form when I first started going to the gym. I felt intimitadated in the free weight area at first so I started lifting with my ego instead of using proper form,as if i was really impressing anyone anyway. I've since learned my lesson and do try to stay as strict as I possibly can.
    Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis

Current supps: AA EFX K-Otic,Scivation Xtends,Scivation Whey,Scivation Sesamin, Scivation EFA,Udo's choice blend 3-6-9,optimen

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Your statements are true but however perfect form for one person may not be the perfect form for another. Each persons body handles the weight differently. I believe you should try to execute all moves as close as possible to true form but not to where it causes you discomfort.

M&S Senior Member
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

This is why Westside Barbell has both maximal effort days and dynamic days or speed days. The max effort trains the slow twitch and the lifting of the weight as quickly as possible works the fast twitch muscle.

Each muscle fiber responds better to the specific training method, whether it be a fast tempo or a slow tempo. This is why the "conjugate method" is the best style ever comprised. It incorporates ever possible and effect way of training into one template which can be used year round.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

I never, even in my beginner days, used "perfect" form. I just do what feels right, I am certainly not going to count my rep speed in seconds, I just know that at X weight rep speeds change. I control my reps, but I would never call them 2-1-2 or whatever the **** it is. Sometimes reps are just 2-1-2 because it is a heavy weight and doing it slower is the only way to do it safely. (ie, pressing exercises especially in my opinion) My form is consistant regardless of weight, only thing that really changes is the speed of reps.
    Squat 2.1x BW Squat, 1.75xBW Bench Press, 2.5xBW Deadlift (425/350/500)
    205 lbs @7%

Banned
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Quote Originally Posted by Cundy View Post
    So basically im asking; why do people who devout their who lives and career to bodybuilder ignore the basic principles taught to people at a lower level?
    This is just another way to prove that almost anything will work. Granted this will not get you to elite/optimal status.

However, you know what is right, and that's what you need to be doing. Rep timing, in my opinion, is not important enough for me to concern myself. Form on the other hand, is something that should be focused on always. You can't lift if you're injured.