MEMBER LOGIN

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Default Hex Bar vs. Conventional

Hello All,

I searched hex bar deadlift and didn't find any specific threads about this, so here goes nothing.

Would a person find any detrimental effects from doing hex bar deadlift rather than a conventional deadlift in terms of progress? Hex bar is certainly easier to learn, that is the one upside to it. I plan on learning conventional but I've been curious about this because I've been forced to do hex bar as of late.
    Maxes: Bench 155x2 Squat: 315x1 Deadlift: 405x1 BW: 147

Current 5k PR: 17:15. School record.

Goal for Track: Break 3200m record.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

The trap bar deadlift will certainly have a lot of carryover to the conventional deadlift. Primarily you'll need to learn correct technique when you move to conventional deadlift, but I can't see any *detrimental* effects of it.

Why are you being "forced" to use the trap (hex) bar?
    Go freakin' heavy or go freakin' home!
    Power Level: 111,166 (Jarhead Certified)
    "* One of the best things I ever learned in football (and this was a big turning point for me in college) was to never be afraid to fail. This paralysis keeps too many people from trying - keeps people from doing their first meet, submitting their first article, or asking out the girl you've had a crush on for 2 years." -- Jim Wendler

Banned
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

The trap bar is significantly easier to pull with. You start with a higher back position, so your range of motion is shorter. You're in a far better position for quad dominant leg-drive which helps with floor speed. And the trap bar is overall easier on your back if you can pull with a half-way decent form.

I actually pull with a trap bar because of a lower back injury. Its the only way I can pull without developing tailbone pains.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Quote Originally Posted by Aurik View Post
    Why are you being "forced" to use the trap (hex) bar?
    It's a school program for lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shadow View Post
    The trap bar is significantly easier to pull with. You start with a higher back position, so your range of motion is shorter. You're in a far better position for quad dominant leg-drive which helps with floor speed. And the trap bar is overall easier on your back if you can pull with a half-way decent form.

I actually pull with a trap bar because of a lower back injury. Its the only way I can pull without developing tailbone pains.
    Do you start with the higher back position even if you don't use the raised handles? In our class we use the low handles that are parallel with the hole in the plates.
    Maxes: Bench 155x2 Squat: 315x1 Deadlift: 405x1 BW: 147

Current 5k PR: 17:15. School record.

Goal for Track: Break 3200m record.

M&S Senior Member
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

I personally feel the trap/hex bar more in my legs than I do with a regular barbell, but you will still get a good lower back & core workout either way.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

I concur with above. The trap bar is a lot easier to pull with, roughly 25 lbs easier. You definitely get more leg work out of the trap bar than a straight bar. My school makes us use em too, so I've been deadlifting with them for about 9 weeks, and now that it's break time, the conventional lift is kicking my back's ass.

Banned
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Quote Originally Posted by cardioman View Post
    Do you start with the higher back position even if you don't use the raised handles? In our class we use the low handles that are parallel with the hole in the plates.
    I don't have a bar that is built like that, so I couldn't speak on that behalf. Although I'd have to say yes because your not reaching for the bar; your hands are more down at your side. So that may equate to only an inch, so more or less, it probably won't matter much.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    I personally feel the trap/hex bar more in my legs than I do with a regular barbell, but you will still get a good lower back & core workout either way.
    Definitely. In fact I think it has potential to help out my squat as well. At first I wasn't feeling it in my back, but when I put up the heavy weight or shoot for volume, the lower/mid back workout is most certainly there.

Just be easy with your rep speed. Since its a more natural path of motion, its easier to do speed reps by accident. At least for me... I have to focus on slowing myself down and resetting to a perfect position before going for the next rep. If nothing more than to keep your form on point.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

It all has to do with the angle of your torso to the ground. Keep in mind there are different styles of doing the deadlift. To see what I'm talking about, have a friend take a pic of you from the side at the beginning of each different lift, then compare to the Hex bar set up. Like said, there is a lot of carryover in strength & technique, & its a lot harder to hold on to the bar for me since you can't do a switch grip. many powerlifters incorporate hex bar into their training cycles while giving the straight bar a rest.
    Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strength. When you go through hardship & decide not to surrender, that is strength.
    -Arnold Schwarzenegger

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by DGBSSN View Post
    It all has to do with the angle of your torso to the ground. Keep in mind there are different styles of doing the deadlift. To see what I'm talking about, have a friend take a pic of you from the side at the beginning of each different lift, then compare to the Hex bar set up. Like said, there is a lot of carryover in strength & technique, & its a lot harder to hold on to the bar for me since you can't do a switch grip. many powerlifters incorporate hex bar into their training cycles while giving the straight bar a rest.
    Nothing like resurrecting a 4-year-old thread...
    ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓
    http://forum.muscleandstrength.com/threads/82589-zstadt-is-back!
    ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑