MEMBER LOGIN

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal

Default How to get a 'Classic Physique'

I have started a new rouinte lately and i have had a fair few questions about it and such so i thought i would post it up here so people could see just what it is and how it works.

This routine is a fantastic way to build muscle and conditioning, whether you are brand new to lifting or have been lifting for a while but want to do something different. It would probably work well for 99% of people, but only 1% will ever choose to do it, such is the media's effect on how we train unfortunately

Please not I DID NOT design this routine, that honour goes to glwanabe originally posted on a different forum.
    It is inspired by the way the old time lifters used to lif people like this guy - Steve Reeves (and who wouldnt want to look like this) Remember this guy was natural and competed in the golden era before Steroids !!!

Reeves classic physique

Squat..............3x8-12
    DB/BB row........3x8-12....DL 3x5* see note
    BB/DB Press......3x8-12....*See note.
    BB/DB Bench.....3x8-12
    BB/DB curl........3x8-12
    [email protected] Try for sets of 10, but do what you can.
    BB calf raise.....3x15-20
    abs

Perform M-W-F

**On Friday drop BB row and do 3x5 deadlifts** Deadlifts are to be done Reg park style. 2 warmup/ 1 heavy work set.

Pressing move is a shoulder press. Originally I had this written as a behind the neck press, but people have asked about using DB's here or doing a front press. A front press hits your front delts pretty hard, as does the bench. The pressing move should be either a DB press or BHNP to hit the medial delt moreso than the front delt.

This is a pretty straight forward program and is the closest to being taken directly from one of Reeves own programs.

Performing the program.

Do a good general warmup to loosen up and get the blood flowing. Do some BW moves that simulate the weighted movements, or whatever you generally do to get a total body warmup.

Perform the program in the order listed.

Utilizing dumbells in the program

Dumbells can be used in place of barbells if that is your preference.

Determining how much weight to use, and getting into the program

Use a weight that is about 50% of your estimated max the first week. You should not have any trouble performing the whole program. Don't work too hard to start. just get a feel for completing the whole thing.

Start at the low end of the rep range, and the next session increase by a rep or two, still using a light weight. For the third session try do the full rep range of all the movements.

Do not do more work than this the first week.

Over the weekend judge how you feel. Try to make an educated guess as to how much weight you should increase for the 2nd week. Do not let your ego have you reset back to your normal work set weights. You will fail.

A good guess would be to use about 60% the 2nd week, and drop back down to the low end of the rep range. Continue the 2nd week as you did the first and try to get the middle range of reps done. Then on Friday try the top range. How do you feel, at the end of this week? You are probably feeling a lot more worked this week than last, if your new to fullbody work.

Where you able to complete the whole program week 2 at this increased weight, and at the top rep range? If the answer is no, then don't increase your workset weight. Begin the 3rd week where you started week 2, and try to add a rep or two each workout. Adding 1 rep per workout to a move is all that you really need to try and accomplish.

When you have established a workset weight for a move, and have worked you way to the top of the rep range, then add weight, and start back at 8 reps. You then try to add a rep or two each session until you are again back to the top of the rep range, and repeat the process.

Straight sets or progressive sets?

You can work any of the moves utilzing either a straight set or progressive set scheme. Use what your comfortable with. Rank beginners usually find straight sets to be fine, while those with some experience and greater strength find progressive sets to work better.

How much weight do I use

a reasonable weight to work at for straight sets, is one that lets you complete 2 sets at full reps, and has you stuggling to complete the third. If this is the case then work from that point, and try to increase reps each session till your getting all three sets at top rep range.

For a progressive set weight scheme you can build reps a little differently.
    Here is an example of how you could work a progressive scheme.

Woud look like:

1x12x135
    1x12x165
    1x8x205, subsequent sessions:
    1x9x205, 1x10x205, 1x11x205, 1x12x205

1x12x135 no change
    1x8x170 added weight dropped reps
    1x8x210 added weight dropped reps

1x12x135 no change
    1x9x170 reps climbing
    1x8x210 hold steady

1x12x135 no change
    1x10x170 reps climbing
    1x8x210 hold steady

1x12x135 no change
    1x11x170 reps climbing
    1x8x210 hold steady

1x12x135 no change
    1x12x170 top of rep range reached!
    1x8x210 reps start to build next session
    1x9x210, 1x10x210, 1x11x210, 1x12x210

2nd and 3rd sets add weight, and drop reps when 3rd set reaches 12 reps.

Using this progressive scheme I would build the sets till the weights looked liked this.

1x12x135
    1x12x185 hold at this weight for 2nd set when reached.
    1x12x225 when this is completed all sets reset.

1x8x140
    1x8x190
    1x8x140

The process of building back up starts all over. This deload of work is important. Don't jump up to fast in your reps. I only increased by 5lbs in the example. For squats you may find that you can go up 10lbs for a weight increase.

The amount of weight to go up in your progressive sets is up to you. I generally split the differance between my starting set, and final set, for my middle set. Squat worksets could have a far greater weight jump per set than pressing or bench numbers for instance.

At some of the lower weights, you may find that you can actually increase both the 2nd and 3rd set reps by one rep each session. Thats fine if you can, but you will reach a point where getting that one rep is really going to be work. When you have reached that point you know you are pushing hard at the right intensity. One rep each session equates to a lot of addtional work for the whole week.

How much weight to increase when it is time to add weight

I would add about 10lbs for squats/deadlifts when increasing weight.
    I would add about 5lbs for upperbody work.

Your in new territory with this program. Don't be surprised if you have to readjust almost all of your weights. Don't let your ego get the better of you. As you continue to work the program, changes will happen. Keep notes on your weights used and reps performed. adjust as needed to find the right mix of weights to get it all done. You should be ready to really do some serious work the beginning of week three, but don't overdo it.

It is the weeks total work, and not just one session that your working to complete. This why you need to judge how you feel on the weekends.

If you can handle more weight then add some but don't take too big a jump at once. Use your head, and be smart about what your doing.

During the Golden Age, beginners were told to do a program like this and to only do 1 set 3 times a week for an entire month. Then they were told to add a 2nd set. The third month they could add a 3rd set to the program. You will be taking a faster course than that as most of you are not brand new to lifting, IF YOU ARE BRAND NEW TO LIFTING THEN DO IT AS IT IS ORIGINALLY PLANNED WITH JUST ONE WORK SET

Remember this is this is a fantastic routin and will give you gains, but dont try and do too much too soon.

hope this helps guys (and gals)

Carl.
    Last edited by carl1174; 01-30-2011 at 03:28 AM.
    power level 70,880

Follow my log... Carl1174 Search for the Ideal

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Fantastic post Carlos.
    Gaz

"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever." Lance Armstrong

"Accumulating injuries are the price we pay for the thrill of not having sat around on our asses" Rip

The Thrilla from Phila!! bigtim27's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

Gaz this routine is awesome. Great post Carl. I'd rep you but I got spread it around first.
    Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis

Current supps: AA EFX K-Otic,Scivation Xtends,Scivation Whey,Scivation Sesamin, Scivation EFA,Udo's choice blend 3-6-9,optimen

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz6682 View Post
    Fantastic post Carlos.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtim27 View Post
    Gaz this routine is awesome. Great post Carl. I'd rep you but I got spread it around first.
    Cheers guys...

To anyone who thinks that a full body routine is for beginners, or that splits are the only way to grow muscle, just give it a go next time it is time for a change....

Carl.
    power level 70,880

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Training Log

I got your back Timbo - Quad Carlos is repped.
    My favorite part of lifting is having the opportunity
    Every Rep Matters
    Best Meet Totals:
    Squat: 403 lbs
    Bench: 253 lbs
    Deadlift: 463 lbs
    Totals: 1119 lbs

Frequent Poster
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Nice writeup Carl. I'm at work right now, but I'll add some more thoughts after while when I get home.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Got him for you

Quote Originally Posted by carl1174 View Post
    Cheers guys...

To anyone who thinks that a full body routine is for beginners, or that splits are the only way to grow muscle, just give it a go next time it is time for a change....

Carl.
    Full body routines are by no means for beginners. Maybe because I've switched to training strength, but I can't remember doing a split that gave me better results.
    Progression over regression

"I would learn that in each of us there is a flame that must never be allowed to go out. That as long as it burns within us, we cannot be destroyed"
    -The Power of One

October 2012 Member of the Month

The Beardless One
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Cheers guys...

Carl.

I agree with this. When I'm away at college I'll run a 4 day split, but when I'm at home it's always a full body routine.

Very detailed write up Carl. Best of luck with this new routine. I'm expecting great results from you!

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Awesome post, Carl. The depth and detail of the information is excellent. Thank you.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Glwanabe is a good friend of mine, and a true inspiration. GL and I are currently working together (in my free time) on a series of fullbody workouts.

Fullbody workouts...certainly not just for beginners...I'm running one very successfully and enjoying it.
    Big & Strong = Heavy Compounds + Progression + Food

Follow M&S: Facebook Twitter

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

Carl, you should talk to Steve and see about getting this routine posted to the site. A "real man's" workout that includes all of the "big 4" that should be in everyone's workout. Had no choice but to rep you, my friend. I hope you get some excellent gains from this
    Go freakin' heavy or go freakin' home!
    Power Level: 111,166 (Jarhead Certified)
    "* One of the best things I ever learned in football (and this was a big turning point for me in college) was to never be afraid to fail. This paralysis keeps too many people from trying - keeps people from doing their first meet, submitting their first article, or asking out the girl you've had a crush on for 2 years." -- Jim Wendler

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Aurik View Post
    Carl, you should talk to Steve and see about getting this routine posted to the site. A "real man's" workout that includes all of the "big 4" that should be in everyone's workout. Had no choice but to rep you, my friend. I hope you get some excellent gains from this
    GL and I are working together on a project involving fullbody workouts. When it is done it will be available here. We'll have 10-12 programs, and possibly an e-book on the subject.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Maybe we should open a Q&A thread on fullbody workouts? Or use this thread for questions? Let me know what you think Carl...

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal

Quote Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
    I got your back Timbo - Quad Carlos is repped.
    Quote Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
    Nice writeup Carl. I'm at work right now, but I'll add some more thoughts after while when I get home.
    Its a pleasure GL... Its all your work mate, just really wanted to see the responses on this site too
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry19 View Post
    Got him for you

Full body routines are by no means for beginners. Maybe because I've switched to training strength, but I can't remember doing a split that gave me better results.
    Quote Originally Posted by BukAndrew View Post
    I agree with this. When I'm away at college I'll run a 4 day split, but when I'm at home it's always a full body routine.

Very detailed write up Carl. Best of luck with this new routine. I'm expecting great results from you!
    Quote Originally Posted by CityMiller View Post
    Awesome post, Carl. The depth and detail of the information is excellent. Thank you.
    Thanks guys, but like i said this is glwanabes routine and all his work. i have just really enjoyed the routine so far, it has revitalised my training and i have GL to thank for that...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Glwanabe is a good friend of mine, and a true inspiration. GL and I are currently working together (in my free time) on a series of fullbody workouts.

Fullbody workouts...certainly not just for beginners...I'm running one very successfully and enjoying it.
    Sounds awesome Stev, if there is ANYTHING i can do to help it would be a pleasure mate
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurik View Post
    GL and I are working together on a project involving fullbody workouts. When it is done it will be available here. We'll have 10-12 programs, and possibly an e-book on the subject.
    That will be awesome... i would definitely be up for the e-book. GL's advice and mentoring has been invaluble on this routine and i know you have a wealth of information to add too Steve, so i am sure it would be full of information.
    Maybe we should open a Q&A thread on fullbody workouts? Or use this thread for questions? Let me know what you think Carl...
    I think that would be an awesome idea Stev, If there was enough interest then a full body sub forum could work really well. Or if there was a way of stickying this so this could become a question and answer session for the old time routines/full body rotuines/ classic routines call it whatever... Great idea Steve.

carl.
    power level 70,880

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I think that would be an awesome idea Stev, If there was enough interest then a full body sub forum could work really well. Or if there was a way of stickying this so this could become a question and answer session for the old time routines/full body rotuines/ classic routines call it whatever... Great idea Steve.

carl.
    How about I start a new thread for Fullbody Q&A...and include a link to this workout on the first post? We could also include links to other fullbody resources on M&S and make it a one stop shop...

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

id love to find a full body that could be designed for cutting
    Current supps: Xtend and Dymatize Whey

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal

Quote Originally Posted by andykg View Post
    You could use this one for cutting mate, not only would it give you 4 days off so a coupld could be cardio days, the CV effort of doing all that work and keeping to about an hour is fantastic. My heart rate gets higher doing 3 sets of 12 reps for squats than it does jogging on the tread mill.

Cutting is all Diet mate. if you did this routine and dropped your calories under maintenence you would lose weight without doubt

Carl.
    power level 70,880

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal

How about I start a new thread for Fullbody Q&A...and include a link to this workout on the first post? We could also include links to other fullbody resources on M&S and make it a one stop shop...
    Sounds like a great idea Steve

carl.
    power level 70,880

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by andykg View Post
    All muscle building workouts are good for cutting.

In my opinion it's even more important to train hard and heavy when cutting. You need to give the body every incentive to retain muscle mass. There are certainly things you can do to inspire the body to drop fat, such as using 20 rep squats twice a week!

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Sounds like a great idea Steve

carl.
    I'll get it up after my cardio session today, or at the latest tomorrow morning.

Frequent Poster
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Just so that people don't misunderstand. The Reeves Classic is a program inspired by the routines that Steve Reeves utilized. It has many of the aspects of his programs with my own programming ideas incorporated.

Reeves preferred to work from the top down when doing his workouts. I prefer to squat first, and to pair legs, and back work together.

Many people, not just Reeves worked Delts first instead of benching. Benching was done, but it was not nearly as high on the ladder as it is today. Shoulders, and pressing movements were high on the list of muscles to work. Olympic lifts were done a lot more than they are today as well.

Pressing before benching is one of the harder aspects for people to wrap thier head around. One of the first things that a lot of people ask, or comment on is, "can I bench before pressing", or somebody comments, "You should switch your bench before your presses."

Pressing before benching is not good for your ego. Your bench numbers will be far less than your used to lifting for your sets. Give it time though, and you will see a big difference in your upper body.

Gotta run.
    Last edited by glwanabe; 01-29-2011 at 12:15 PM.

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal

Quote Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
    Just so that people don't misunderstand. The Reeves Classic is a program inspired by the routines that Steve Reeves utilized. It has many of the aspects of his programs with my own programming ideas incorporated.

Reeves preferred to work from the top down when doing his workouts. I prefer to squat first, and to pair legs, and back work together.

Many people, not just Reeves worked Delts first instead of benching. Benching was done, but it was not nearly as high on the ladder as it is today. Shoulders, and pressing movements were high on the list of muscles to work. Olympic lifts were done a lot more than they are today as well.

Pressing before benching is one of the harder aspects for people to wrap thier head around. One of the first things that a lot of people ask, or comment on is, "can I bench before pressing", or somebody comments, "You should switch your bench before your presses."

Pressing before benching is not good for your ego. Your bench numbers will be far less than your used to lifting for your sets. Give it time though, and you will see a big difference in your upper body.

Gotta run.
    They way Glwanabe has written this really does work

It really is a great set up for anyone that wants to try it. Doing the squats first really gets our heart rate up and the blood flowing and back straight after means the lower back is getting hit all at the same time (so rather than hammering it first then leaving it, then going back to hammer it again).

The pressing BEFORE bech really was a surprise for me, and gl is right that your ego takes a bettering. I used 50% of my 1 rm or bench as a work rate and thought i would blast through it easy, but 2 weeks in to it and i am still using it as my work weight, does my chest get pumped, you bet your life it does, as much (if not more) than on any 'split' i have done. Dont forget there are 5 sets of dips in the rotuine as well

The volume looks like there isnt enough and it wont give you a 'pump'or give you DOMS but trust me there is more than enough volume to be getting on with

Glwanabe has been really helpfull with me doing this routine and walked me through it so far, all credit HAS to go to him...

Carl.
    power level 70,880

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Im really thinking of giving this workout a shot but what stops me from trying it is theres no rear delt work. And the bb rows are for thickness but theres nothing for back width. Is this okay?
    Always put in 110% in everything you do so that when someone else shows up with 100%, you still got 10% on them.-Chidi Ekebere

Frequent Poster
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I have an intermedaite version of this program that addresses your concerns. However, you cannot perform that routine to start with. Your simply not ready for the volume of work.

Even an advanced lifter moving over from a split will have to reduce the weights they are using, and allow time for proper adaptation to the fullbody format.

You can also use DB's and BB's in the basic program. The DB Rows will target your rear delts. The basic program hits your body plenty hard.
    Last edited by glwanabe; 01-29-2011 at 01:30 PM.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I see. Im not trying to sound impatient but how long would I run this workout for before moving on to an intermediate one, 8 weeks? 4 months?
    Always put in 110% in everything you do so that when someone else shows up with 100%, you still got 10% on them.-Chidi Ekebere