MEMBER LOGIN

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Quote Originally Posted by Heather93 View Post
    Thank you Doug. I am now gonna shove this in the faces of friends and family who've been telling me for years I'll be a 'huge man' some day - as opposed to the healthy tone I've kept all these years lol.
    Good on you!!

Whats very interesting about women is that they get stronger but not much bigger. If you look at some of the lighter classes in Olympic weightlifting, the girls arnt that big at all, and they are throwing around HUGE weights!
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training Ė and life." - Wendler

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Thanks Spartigus, it's good to know that people who know how to keep healthy think I'm doing right!

I've never thought of that before. The fact some of us can get that strong without becomeing huge is great!

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Thanks Spartigus, it's good to know that people who know how to keep healthy think I'm doing right!

I've never thought of that before. The fact some of us can get that strong without becomeing huge is great!
    Its interesting! Women tend to get "denser" in terms of muscles, but not much bigger. I would say the only place its noticeable in women is the bum and upper legs. They have a large amount of fast twitch fibers (the strong big fibers), which means they will show the largest amount of growth, but it wont look bad. One of the hallmarks of a powerful physique is a developed and round bum and developed upper legs, its often termed "the seat of power" and is the most powerful muscles in your body.
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training Ė and life." - Wendler

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Well that bit of info's made me feel good too! When I was younger I especially got worried by how big my 'seat of power' was - in comparison to the rest of my body. As I toned up everwhere else I did get less and less bothered about that - but now I gotta say thanks for opening my eyes to how healthy and normal that really is. I think I'm gonna go do some more research into this subject! :-)

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Well that bit of info's made me feel good too! When I was younger I especially got worried by how big my 'seat of power' was - in comparison to the rest of my body. As I toned up everwhere else I did get less and less bothered about that - but now I gotta say thanks for opening my eyes to how healthy and normal that really is. I think I'm gonna go do some more research into this subject! :-)
    Glad I was helpful!!

Also lifting weights improves bone density, which becomes more and more important as you get older .

You might really enjoy full body routines or routines centered around Olympic lifting

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit

Default Toning Routine

Hi Doug, I just finished week 2 of your toning routine from the women's workouts section and I'm loving it. I was just wondering if weeks 4, 5 and 6 will be the same as weeks 1, 2 and 3 or if I just continue doing week 1 (adding weight when neccessary) until I reach 9 weeks?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by jeweiss2001; 05-15-2011 at 08:55 PM.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Tone Up

Thanks for this advice! First post ever and am trying to learn a little bit from snooping around

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Great info! I've been strength training for 6-7 months and I feel better and stronger!
    I'm a warrior I insist it's my life!

• Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Get Fit

Alot of my co workers always tell me that its not appealing to see a girl with muscles.. Telling me to stop lifting weights.. I was like "WHATEVER"

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Q. Is it true that lifting weights causes women to bulk up?

A. While on a weight lifting program, the right hormones (testosterone) are necessary in order to bulk up. Womenís testosterone levels are much lower than menís, so in most cases, they are not capable of building large muscles. In fact, since muscle takes up less room than fat, women tend to lose inches when they strength train. So in addition to the physical benefits (increased metabolism, decreased risk of osteoporosis, increased strength), strength training will help you slim down too! Women, in fact, are more likely to tone up from strength training rather than bulk up. Research shows that women can add up to 30% lean muscle and end up looking thinner, feeling stronger and being firmer.

[/B]
    A great topic to discuss here. Many women worry about developing large muscles with strength training, but large muscles require high levels of male hormone testosterone. most women have around one tenth of the testosterone levels of men and smaller frames, making it difficult to build large muscles.

Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by ana18 View Post
    A great topic to discuss here. Many women worry about developing large muscles with strength training, but large muscles require high levels of male hormone testosterone. most women have around one tenth of the testosterone levels of men and smaller frames, making it difficult to build large muscles.
    Looking at the amount of guys that weight train and fail miserably at building any decent mass, I don't really think females have much to worry about, unless they think they're much better at getting it right than their male counterparts

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal

Quote Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
    Looking at the amount of guys that weight train and fail miserably at building any decent mass, I don't really think females have much to worry about, unless they think they're much better at getting it right than their male counterparts
    yeah you're right, and I think so.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

@MSWY - Good for you!! ... Could it be they're secretly jealous? :-)

... Sorry, I didn't select "reply with quote".
    Last edited by TiffGarrett; 03-06-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Default My arms aren't looking sleek though

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cd8a13d5b5de4f7da33aacd4d6c16cbf_A.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	21031Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cd8a13d5b5de4f7da33aacd4d6c16cbf_A.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	21031Help! I do a lot of cardio every day (40 min HITT workout, 120min brisk/fast walking + 20min pilates or 10 min abs and arms training with both heavy and light weights to hit all muscle groups) and watch my food intake. Whenever I try to do arm exercises whether it be just push-up and chair dips or with weights my tricep starts to bulge. (I do a series of arm exercises including deltoids, shoulder/tricep/bicep/pushup/presses, etc to target all groups) whenever I turn to the side it sticks out and over takes my shoulder . I think it looks bad and makes my arms look chunky and I am not sure why it happens to me and not other women. the bulge doesn't go away with months of training and is still there keeping any strapless or sleeveless outfits looking terrible on me. i tried focusing on shoulder exercises and other moves but still nothing is looking proportional like the celebrities. it still looks overly bulging and big. when i stop lifting and focus on cardio it goes away and look skinny again after a few months, but this doesn\'t make sense. I consciously dieted and exercised my way to losing 25 lbs and have been maintaining that new weight ever since (give or take losing or gaining 3 to 5 lbs depending on a holiday or etc) so I am conscious about what i do and eat. I guess I am frustrated as to why I still have this fat apparently hidden on my arms even after all I do to stay fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Q. Is it true that lifting weights causes women to bulk up?

A. While on a weight lifting program, the right hormones (testosterone) are necessary in order to bulk up. Womenís testosterone levels are much lower than menís, so in most cases, they are not capable of building large muscles. In fact, since muscle takes up less room than fat, women tend to lose inches when they strength train. So in addition to the physical benefits (increased metabolism, decreased risk of osteoporosis, increased strength), strength training will help you slim down too! Women, in fact, are more likely to tone up from strength training rather than bulk up. Research shows that women can add up to 30% lean muscle and end up looking thinner, feeling stronger and being firmer.

Our society and pop culture seem to associate weight training with oversized muscles, but thatís just one avenue, which is extremely difficult for most people (including men) to achieve.

Women with an intense fear of becoming large (likely due to these images and myths) as a result of weight training are at a disadvantage when it comes to their health. The problem most women run into isnít building too much muscle, but not building enough. This sets them up for increased risk of osteoporosis later in life, as well as a reduction in muscle mass of about 2-5% per year, which has an adverse affect on metabolism (and can result in weight gain).

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

thanks for sharing

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Women's do a great job at home and they maintain good physic and take care of their body fit level...

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I think I concur with you on many aspects; that women who lift lose weight and donít bulk this is because the testosterone levels are low. So, it rules out chances of bulking. They become physically fit and this boosts metabolism. Those with belly fat loose it and this helps to tone up their muscles. A good post though.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

does anyone know who this Russian powerlifter isClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1234.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	22368