MEMBER LOGIN

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

Default Resistance bands

Who has used resistance bands?
    During a recent family budget realignment gym memebership was axed.
    Not that I get a chance to make it a whole lot anymore since I got sick. Doing better, but still hurting everyday.
    Anyway- since my ability has been altered so much I started doing execise videos-through netflix on the wii- and mall walking.
    I have some resistance bands someone gave me but not quite sure
    1. how to use them 2. are they effective
    My doc is for them becuase he feels it would be less strain on my joints than weights.
    I know I won't really build muscle with them, but just for fat burning, flexiability, and general health are they effective enough?
    "The miracle wasn't that I finished; the miralce was that I had the courage to start"

BGD - Superset Superman muscletrainerdh's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by LT9Tonya View Post
    Who has used resistance bands?
    During a recent family budget realignment gym memebership was axed.
    Not that I get a chance to make it a whole lot anymore since I got sick. Doing better, but still hurting everyday.
    Anyway- since my ability has been altered so much I started doing execise videos-through netflix on the wii- and mall walking.
    I have some resistance bands someone gave me but not quite sure
    1. how to use them 2. are they effective
    My doc is for them becuase he feels it would be less strain on my joints than weights.
    I know I won't really build muscle with them, but just for fat burning, flexiability, and general health are they effective enough?
    Hey Tonya, Sorry I didn't respond on my FB wall, but your posts got knocked down because of all the Super Bowl talk! LOL It wasn't intentional, so i'll respond here:

I think resistant bands will be fine.

How many different color bands do you have?

Do they have soft padded handles or hard plastic? (Makes some moves more difficult and pain ful if they are hard plastic).

Google Search "Resistant Band Training" and see what comes up. I'm sure there's a website dedicated to them, I just can't remember which ones.

One thing with resistant bands is definitely slowing your rep speed/tempo. That will help you get the most out of them, rather than just "Repping Out" because the band doesn't deliver the appropriate resistance level.

Let me know what you find and if you have any other questions.

Dave
    POWER LEVEL: 54,481

Sarcasm and Cynicism are not helpful or attractive traits, respond to posts as you wish to be responded to.

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

It is just the generic set from Wal-mart. They are gold's gm resistance tubes. Purple in color, and the handles are hard plastic with padding on them.
    I found a book at the library to get me started. It came with some basic exercises in the box she gave me.
    I didn't know there were different colored ones. Does the color differ by resistance or something?
    And you were ignoring me!!
    I knew it was a bad day post that after the fact. I get a thought in my head and off I go!
    Thanks for the response! I'll google and see what else I can find.
    "The miracle wasn't that I finished; the miralce was that I had the courage to start"

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

I meant the bands came with some basic exercises- not the library book.
    but the book looks good too.
    Lauren wants to work with them too. She is having some issues at school with the other girls calling her fat and so now she is freaking out about her weight. I keep telling her she will even out and she is healthy overall- but you know how it is. The kids at school know more than mom!

BGD - Superset Superman muscletrainerdh's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

It is just the generic set from Wal-mart. They are gold's gm resistance tubes. Purple in color, and the handles are hard plastic with padding on them.
    I found a book at the library to get me started. It came with some basic exercises in the box she gave me.
    I didn't know there were different colored ones. Does the color differ by resistance or something?
    And you were ignoring me!!
    I knew it was a bad day post that after the fact. I get a thought in my head and off I go!
    Thanks for the response! I'll google and see what else I can find.
    ##Ok, I found the website, a company called SPRI (Spree):

http://www.spri.com/ItemGroup.aspx?I...mGroupTypeID=1

The resistant band color is an indicator of it's amount of resistance.
    Yellow being the lightest and Purple being the heaviest.

But I think each companies color scheme is different!

The Spri site also has videos of exercises. When you go to the spri.com home page, the box in the top center of the screen says "Exercise Videoes" and you can click on "Resistant bands" and a box with all the exercises will pop up.

I meant the bands came with some basic exercises- not the library book.
    but the book looks good too.
    Lauren wants to work with them too. She is having some issues at school with the other girls calling her fat and so now she is freaking out about her weight. I keep telling her she will even out and she is healthy overall- but you know how it is. The kids at school know more than mom!
    ## Damn kids, they can be so cruel. Anyway, yes, they will be fine for her to work with. I think you do a good job with her diet and the last thing you want is her getting an eating disorder at such a young age. So just keep giving her positive reinforcement, and the exercising will help!
    POWER LEVEL: 54,481

Sarcasm and Cynicism are not helpful or attractive traits, respond to posts as you wish to be responded to.