MEMBER LOGIN

Page 1 of 297 1231151101 ... LastLast
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Training Log

Default CLEEPER's log of Reeve's classic physique workout

I woke up at 8:30 and had a cup of coffee, then took 2 grams of L-Argine. 30 minutes later i had a shake with 1 scoop of Dymatize Elite Gourmet vanilla creme , 2 scoops of oat meal, half a bananna , 5 grams of creatine mono hydrate. 1 tspn peanut butter.

1hr later at the gym i had my exten drink with 4 scoops during my work out.
    started with 5 minutes on elliptical to warm up then

SQUATS

115x10
    205x8
    205x10 (trying to see what weight i should be using , will go for 10 wensday on all sets.)

Bent over barbell rows:
    115x10
    135x8
    155x10 ( will go for all sets of 10 wensday with this weight)

Dumbell shoulder press with elbows back:
    50x8
    60x8
    60x8

Bench press
    185x8
    185x8
    185x5 (1 minute rest is tough, usually can do this but not enough rest at this weight)

barbell curl

70x10
    70x10
    70x10 ( will go for 12 wensday, performing at a 3 second up and 3 down pace)

Dips went awsome today

all 5 sets achieved 10 reps( never done that before, my feet do touch at the bottom but absolutely do not help lift with them)

standing barbell calf raise:
    115x20
    135x20
    155x20( will start at this weight wensday)

2 sets of 20 oblique style situps on each side on a back extension bench

total time of work out besides the 5 minutes on elliptical: 60 minutes. I give myself a B since i am still finding what weight to use and failed on last set of bench.

post work out shake as soon as i finished with 2 scoops dymatize elite gourmet , 5 grams creatine, and 2 packs of raw sugar ( out of dextrose)

1 hrs later I had 2 grilled chicken thigh's and a large bananna.

I enjoyed this work out, I feel good all over afterwards.

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

nice! another one on board. it's a great workout. and keeping the rest to only 1 minute really intensifies it.. i'm def sub'n this one;...
    Check out my Reeve's Classic Training Log:
    muscleandstrength.com/forum/member-training-journals/53981-bens-full-body-reeves-classic-bulk-cut-log.html

My Supplements: Fish Oil, Multi-Vite, Whey, Dextrose, Maltrodextrin, XTEND, and Jack3D (occasionally)

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Training Log

yes it does intesify it. Im use to resting 90 seconds between sets and 2 minutes between exercise's. 1 minut between everything is rough even with less weight. i did go 90 seconds on squats though

The Thrilla from Phila!! bigtim27's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

Nice job great to see another member in for the Reeves ride!! I just started week 7 today and it still feels really new.
    Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis

Current supps: AA EFX K-Otic,Scivation Xtends,Scivation Whey,Scivation Sesamin, Scivation EFA,Udo's choice blend 3-6-9,optimen

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by bigtim27 View Post
    Nice job great to see another member in for the Reeves ride!! I just started week 7 today and it still feels really new.
    I like it, pretty simple to follow. I do have a few questions though, do i count the 115 lb squat since it was just a light warm up? i feel like it was a waisted set.

Frequent Poster
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by CLEEPER View Post
    I like it, pretty simple to follow. I do have a few questions though, do i count the 115 lb squat since it was just a light warm up? i feel like it was a waisted set.
    Yes, count it.

A good idea of weights to work progressive sets from is something like this.

First set, appox 50% of know PR.

Second set, approx 60-65% of known pr.

Third set, approx 70-75% of known pr.

As you're working into the program you will need to not go too fast too soon. It is far better to underwork than overwork. Do not just jump right into the mentiond set % numbers build up to them. You could do this a few ways.

I'll use squat weights as an example, but the same will work for all of your movements. The numbers are % of known max.

and build reps to top of rep range from 8-12. Doing this is usually plenty of work for most people the first few weeks. The overall workload is far different than what they are used too.

After a few weeks add some weight and see how you feel, You may try several different workset weights as you condition for the volume of work to done during the week. At times you may even drop weights in one spot, and add in another. Small changes have a big effect.

This is just a few ways to adjust your worksets, as you work into the program.

What you're working towards is that final version of a start set at 50%, and a top set at 75%. 75% is plenty of weight for the amount of work you are doing.

You'll notice that in the examples that the intensity increases slowly as you build into the program.

A lot of things are happening in the beginning as you start this program. a Couple of months into it, and you will be feeling a lot different than you do now.

Crawl or walk into the program, do not run. Running into the program is like running into a brick wall.

As I said in the original writeup. back in the Golden Age, people were advised to only do 1 set per session for a month or two. They were adding weight, but only doing 1 set. it would take 3-4 months to build up to 3 sets in a session.

This may not sound like they knew what they were doing, but it is actually a good way to work into fullbody work, especially for a true beginner. There are serious physiological changes happening as you adapt to this type of work. Even an experienced lifter coming off a split, needs time to adapat.

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal

Nice to see another Reeves Classic... Like gl said walk in to the program. i am just 8 weeks in and only now am i fully settled and my conditioning is still improving

Drop the weight of your bench weights. Its not the rest that effects it so much but morte the fact that you have done shoulders before hand.

Dropthem to say 155lbs and see how you fair then. the pressing is the main move, not the bench.

good luck buddy

Carl.
    power level 70,880

Follow my log... Carl1174 Search for the Ideal

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I was told that doing 1 min rest between everything is the way to go... yeh, it is very hard, but keeps your heart pumping and sweat dripping all the way through... really zaps your CNS - you might not be able to lift as much weight without the extra rest, but think that's the point.. maybe someone with more experience can chime in...

good start though, your putting up a lot of weight for just starting out on this routine
    muscleandstrength.com/forum/member-training-journals/53981-bens-full-body-reeves-classic-bulk-cut-log.html

My Supplements: Fish Oil, Multi-Vite, Whey, Dextrose, Maltrodextrin, XTEND, and Jack3D (occasionally)

Frequent Poster
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Taking 1 minute between sets.

This is not a hard and fast rule. If you need a little extra, take it. You're not going to sabatoge your work by exceeding one hour. My sessions are taking about 70 minutes to complete right now. Thats about average, depending on how tired I am that day.

right now Wednesday is the only day I lift that is not a workday. On my workdays, I lift after having been up for 12 hours.

So, Keep your intensity up, but don't worry too much about thinking that you must get it all done in under an hour. Thats a good goal, but should not be limiting you in the lifting.

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
    Yes, count it.

A good idea of weights to work progressive sets from is something like this.

First set, appox 50% of know PR.

Second set, approx 60-65% of known pr.

Third set, approx 70-75% of known pr.

As you're working into the program you will need to not go too fast too soon. It is far better to underwork than overwork. Do not just jump right into the mentiond set % numbers build up to them. You could do this a few ways.

I'll use squat weights as an example, but the same will work for all of your movements. The numbers are % of known max.

and build reps to top of rep range from 8-12. Doing this is usually plenty of work for most people the first few weeks. The overall workload is far different than what they are used too.

After a few weeks add some weight and see how you feel, You may try several different workset weights as you condition for the volume of work to done during the week. At times you may even drop weights in one spot, and add in another. Small changes have a big effect.

This is just a few ways to adjust your worksets, as you work into the program.

What you're working towards is that final version of a start set at 50%, and a top set at 75%. 75% is plenty of weight for the amount of work you are doing.

You'll notice that in the examples that the intensity increases slowly as you build into the program.

A lot of things are happening in the beginning as you start this program. a Couple of months into it, and you will be feeling a lot different than you do now.

Crawl or walk into the program, do not run. Running into the program is like running into a brick wall.

As I said in the original writeup. back in the Golden Age, people were advised to only do 1 set per session for a month or two. They were adding weight, but only doing 1 set. it would take 3-4 months to build up to 3 sets in a session.

This may not sound like they knew what they were doing, but it is actually a good way to work into fullbody work, especially for a true beginner. There are serious physiological changes happening as you adapt to this type of work. Even an experienced lifter coming off a split, needs time to adapat.
    thanks, I think im going to start with 135,205,225 wensday then. I had a lot left for squats last time.
    Carl, ill try dropping back to say 155 and work up to 12 reps with that as needed before moving up again.
    Last edited by CLEEPER; 03-08-2011 at 08:25 PM.
    Health and feeling good is my goals.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Anddddddd following
    Twitter @JMang0

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Training Log

Taking 1 minute between sets.

This is not a hard and fast rule. If you need a little extra, take it. You're not going to sabatoge your work by exceeding one hour. My sessions are taking about 70 minutes to complete right now. Thats about average, depending on how tired I am that day.

right now Wednesday is the only day I lift that is not a workday. On my workdays, I lift after having been up for 12 hours.

So, Keep your intensity up, but don't worry too much about thinking that you must get it all done in under an hour. Thats a good goal, but should not be limiting you in the lifting.
    I am use to 90 seconds rest. I dont mind staying around a minute though, ill work into it. Also i dont mind if i go up to say 1hr and 15 minutes on work outs, Its not that detrimental.

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal

My workouts take anything from an hour to an hour and 15 mins.... I normally rest about 90-120 seconds between squats, 60-90 on everything else and I rest 30 seconds between dips and abs.... seems to work OK for me buddy

Carl.
    power level 70,880

Follow my log... Carl1174 Search for the Ideal

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Training Log

Sounds good Carl, Today sucked. I had to wait at home untill 2 pm for my gym equipment for my home gym to arrive to sign for it. delivery was a few minutes late so it arrived at 2:10 and i was out the door heading to the gym for 2:20. I get on the interstate to the gym and traffic was at a stand still, I only had untill 3:30 to get my work out done and head to work so I had to skip and get back home.

I am going to have to do my work out tomorrow in place of today or skip untill friday and spend tomorrow putting my home gym together so i dont have to leave home to do it.

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Training Log

decided not to work out today to make up for yesterday. I had to start putting my home gym together so i dont have to skip anymore in the future.

2 down, 4 more boxes to open and assemble.

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Training Log

Ok, I feel bad that im skipping a bit lately but honestly have been busting my ass to get my home gym setup so i dont have to go to the gym anymore.

Today I laid down flooring in my homoe gym and moved out some old stuff that was stored in the room.

I lost track of time so only had 30 minutes to work out and since i was not set up to do squats yet, I skipped my leg work out.

Today i started off with bent over rows with my dumbells.

65lb dumbells each hand x 12,10,10

shoulder press i did a warm up set with 25lb dumbells and then went heavier.
    65 lb db each hand x 8,8,5
    I was satisfied with this since its the heaviest dumbell's i have done over head.

bench press with dumbells
    65'sx12x12x10. I was gassed on that last set. 1 minute rest between sets

curls were weak since i used my 25 lb dumbells.
    25x12x12x12
    Bw dips i did 3 sets of 10 and was out of time. I had to hurry and shower and leave for work tonight.

I will do squats with the dumbells tomorrow morning for sets of 20 with the 65's in my hands. and then do ab work . I start my 5 days off of work tomorrow morning so i will get back on schedule with this routine and have my home gym finished so no more excuse's for missing.

On a positive note, i lost 2 lbs this week. I am down to 234

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Training Log

today was a great work out that me and my wife enjoyed together. we worked out at home in the new gym. Here it is,

squats: 135x8
    185x8
    205x8
    Barbell rows: 135x8
    145x8
    155x8
    dumbell shoulder press :65's x8
    65x8
    65x8(last time was only able to do 5 reps on this set,I had a good meal an hour before working out this time)

bench press: 135x8
    155x8
    185x8 ( Im going to up the reps but stay at this weight thursday)
    barbell curl: 65x12
    70x12
    75x12( i have to up the weights , this is not very challenging for me)
    Dips: 5 sets of 10 body weight 234lbs. I am going to stick with this for a while before adding any weight.
    calf raise: 130 x 20 x 3 sets

Abs: 3 sets of 15 leg lifts.

over all i give my self a b on this work out. I could have went more and dont feel i lifted enough. I kept it a little light since i have been slacking lately, im going up on weights or reps next work out day. I love this new home gym, I am glad i stayed in the gym for 2 years but just like on the biggest loser, i think im ready to take it on at home.

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Training Log

every thing i need to get a great work out with out a spotter. safety bars on this rack with lots of adjustments to catch it if failure accurs

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

wow awesome setup man! very jealous. i just have a bench and a vertically adjustable rack... would love a dip station and a "pseudo" spotter

i just started doing p90x's 15 min ab routine following each session.. it's a great workout for the ole abs

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Training Log

I heard it was a great an routine, my wife has the slim in 6 ab routine the we may hot on Friday workouts. Don't think I want to hit them that hard every time

Frequent Poster
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Setup looks nice C. Which bar do you have?

I upgraded my oly bar that came with my set to a 1200lb rated bar. The bar is night and day better than what came with my original oly set.
    Last edited by glwanabe; 03-16-2011 at 11:13 AM.

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Training Log

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ben8jam View Post
    wow awesome setup man! very jealous. i just have a bench and a vertically adjustable rack... would love a dip station and a "pseudo" spotter

i just started doing p90x's 15 min ab routine following each session.. it's a great workout for the ole abs
    I bought the dip station mostly for my wife to do leg raises. My powertec gym has dip bars on it. I prefer to use the one you mention more though . This whole thing was just under $2000 . I hated to spend it but I always use income tax to pay gym membership for the year, I was spending near that so from next year on, it's money in the bank.
    You are right though, this workout keeps it to the basic equipment, I did not need the lat tower for this work out but I still like having it for my wife and 15 year old daughter. I could use it for abs too

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Training Log

Setup looks nice C. Which bar do you have?

I upgraded my oly bar that came with my set to a 1200lb rated bar. The bar is night and day better than what came with my original oly set.
    I have the bar that came with the weights. I will upgrade when the weight I'm lifting gets over the 300 lbs. I am going to buy a second set of these weights also as it's cheaper then buying individual plates

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Training Log

Tonight was a good work out. I stayed at the same weight for most of the lifts but I tried counting down instead of counting from 1. THis really seemed to help me push the last reps out.

Squats i went up on the reps for the first 2 sets(135x10 185x10 205x8. 8 was all i could get at 205, atg squats are killer.)
    barbell rows fealt good. instead of 8 I went up to 10 on all 3 sets (135x10-145x10-155x10)

Here is where i was really impressed by the counting down instead of up with dumbell shoulder press( first set counted up and 8 was all i had- next set counted down from 10 and pushed through them and same on third set- 65's x8-65'x10-65x10)

bench press(went up to 10 on first 2 sets from 8 but did not have it for the last set 135x10-155x10-185x8)

barbell curls+ I used a bicep blasterto hold my arms still while doing them, went up to 75 for all three sets and hit 75x 10 -75x10 and last set i pushed for 12 reps so ill stick with this weight untill I get all three sets to 12.
    Body weight dips I struggled with, bwx10x10x10x9x10

barbell calf raise i went up on weight 165x15
    165 x17(pushed these two out with all i had)
    165x15. just did finish, all I had in me

abs/ sits ups on ball 3sets of 20.

Over all I am happy that i progressed as good as i did. I can tell that my weights are right for me now. Dips were a lot harder since i was already spent from more shoulder and bench press reps. I would give myself a B+ maybe a A-

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Training Log

Tonight was a good work out. I really had to push to progress on shoulder press but the others i progressed and if i really really pushed may have pushed one more out.
    SHoulder press was all i had and my wife waiting to catch my arms at any second.

Squats
    135x10
    185x10
    205x9=plus 1 rep

Dead lifts

135x5
    155x5
    205x5( will up all weights next saturday , finished to easy)

[B] Dumbell Shoulder press[/B
    65'sx9(up one from thursday but really struggled here. not warmed up maybe?)
    65'sx10
    65'sx10
    Bench Press
    135x10
    155x10
    185x9( upped 1 rep )

barbell curles
    75x12
    75x12
    75x12 ( will go up to 80 tuesday and drop back to 8 reps)

body weight Dips
    5 sets of 10 finished

barbell calf raise
    165x17 (went up from 15 reps)
    165x17( same )
    165x17( went up from 15 reps) burned like hell

abs=3 sets of 15 straight leg raises on power tower.

I really feel worked after this work out. I am very happy to go up on all lifts expecially the dumbell shoulder press. untill I started this routine I have never been able to push 65's. I always worked out at the gym and used 60's. At home I have 65's so i started with them and could only get 5 at first. Happy even though that first set really taxed me on the 9th rep, and the last set as well.
    Im going to give my self an A+ today. Cant wait for TUesday. I really look forward to makeing new PB lifts