MEMBER LOGIN

Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Newbie Diet

  1. #1
    Coming Up The Ranks
    • Join Date
      Aug 2010
    • Posts
      98
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      NY
    • Reputation
      4,301,997
    • Rep Power
      43,029

    Default Newbie Diet

    Heres a breakdown of my diet

    2 nutrigrain bars -- 240 cals
    6g Fat
    4g Protein
    48g Carbs

    Meatball Marinara sandwich (subway) - 1200 cals
    40g Fat
    70mg Cholesterol
    **** load of sodium
    124g carbohydrate
    40g Protein

    Tuna - 280 cals
    12g Fat
    50g Protein

    Protein drink - 147cals
    25g Protein

    1/2 Rotisserie chicken -- 70 cals
    (Estimating)
    10g Protein

    Peanut Butter Sandwich - 520 cals
    32g Fat
    16g Protein
    42g Carbs

    Total:
    2457 cals
    90g Fat
    141g Protein
    214g Carbs

    If I add 2 servings of http://www.muscleandstrength.com/sto...ex-gainer.html

    Total:
    3757 cals
    106g Fat
    261g Protein
    384g Carbohydrate

    Suggestions. Comments... Please!

  2. #2
    M&S Power User hpglow's Avatar
    • Join Date
      May 2010
    • Posts
      1,631
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      C/S CO
    • Reputation
      21,847
    • Rep Power
      236

    Default

    I would change that Meatball sub out for a Subway Club double meat with lowfat mayo and cheese 883 cals / 23 f / 86 c / 90 p. That way you can make room for more real foods. Also greek yogurt is a far better brekfast item than some sugar loaded bars. Throw in a couple Whey shakes mixed with low fat milk and you have a somewhat passable diet. Forget the gainer.
    Slow bulking to 190 lbs.
    Current weight 181.2 lbs.

  3. #3
    Seasoned M&S Veteran Spartigus's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Dec 2007
    • Posts
      5,356
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Sydney, Australia
    • Reputation
      30,047,922
    • Rep Power
      300,518

    Default

    More whole milk, more veggies (especially potatoes), no protein shakes unles its PWO. Drop the subway too. Make one at home and bring it with you, it will be better for you.

    IMO its not a meal unless its over 300 calories... Unless maybe your cutting, but you goal is to add muscle, so eat MOAR. You have listed thigns I wouldn't consider as meals, and you HAVE made mistakes in measurements. How did you get 70 calories for half a chicken? How is a protein drink 147 calories, do you have it with water?

    Skip the weight gainer, just eat food. If it moves, catch it and eat it!
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

    "When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler

  4. #4
    Coming Up The Ranks
    • Join Date
      Mar 2011
    • Posts
      149
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Other
    • Gender
      Male
    • Reputation
      144,569,781
    • Rep Power
      1,445,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by st12iker View Post
    Heres a breakdown of my diet

    2 nutrigrain bars -- 240 cals
    6g Fat
    4g Protein
    48g Carbs


    Meatball Marinara sandwich (subway) - 1200 cals
    40g Fat
    70mg Cholesterol
    **** load of sodium
    124g carbohydrate
    40g Protein
    [

    Tuna - 280 cals
    12g Fat
    50g Protein

    Protein drink - 147cals
    25g Protein

    1/2 Rotisserie chicken -- 70 cals
    (Estimating)
    10g Protein

    Peanut Butter Sandwich - 520 cals
    32g Fat
    16g Protein
    42g Carbs

    Total:
    2457 cals
    90g Fat
    141g Protein
    214g Carbs

    If I add 2 servings of http://www.muscleandstrength.com/sto...ex-gainer.html

    Total:
    3757 cals
    106g Fat
    261g Protein
    384g Carbohydrate

    Suggestions. Comments... Please!
    Your diet is c*ap. Totally unorganized and random.

    Protein: shakes, chicken, turkey, beef (lean) fish
    Carbs: rice, potatoes, cream of rice, ezekial bread, in some cases fruit
    Veggies: anything green thats not peas, and cauliflower
    Fats: olive oil, nuts, fish oil, evening primrose oil

    The reason is most of these foods represent the simplest, easiest digesting form of the marcros, and contain very few other additional macros.

    There are your basics. Other stuff = junk 99% of the time. Milk and wheat most people cant digest it and spike insulin way to much for those that can. Avoid those. I would never give those in clients meal except for a cheat.

    I would really look into stuff on carb cycling by shelby starnes, there are other good versions but he is the one I learned from and base all my work on

  5. #5
    Coming Up The Ranks
    • Join Date
      Aug 2010
    • Posts
      98
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      NY
    • Reputation
      4,301,997
    • Rep Power
      43,029

    Default How about this? --updated

    How about this?? : I took the outline from: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/die...gain-diet.html and modified it to meet my schedule and made it more do-able!


    Can some one make suggestions as to exactly what time I should take each meal?
    Also suggestions for adding ~350 calories

    9/10AM
    Meal Food Nutrition
    Meal#1
    cup Egg beaters = 2 eggs

    60g calories
    12g protein

    WORKOUT

    2:00PM
    Meal#2
    1 12” double meat Subway Club Sandwich
    2 scoops whey protein
    10oz skim milk

    1224 calories
    130g protein
    100 carbs
    16g fat

    4:00PM
    Meal#3 6oz skinless chicken breast
    8oz sweet potato
    1/2 cup mixed vegetables
    475 calories
    45g protein
    66g carbs
    4g fat

    7/8 PM
    Meal#4 1 1/2 cups low fat cottage cheese
    1 cup brown rice
    1/2 cup pineapple
    608 calories
    43g protein
    65g carbs
    16g fat

    10/11PM
    Meal#5
    1 peanut butter sandwich
    2 cans of Tuna

    800 calories
    66g protein
    42g carbs
    32g fat

    3167g calories
    284g protein
    273g carbs
    68g fat
    Last edited by st12iker; 03-26-2011 at 11:24 PM.

  6. #6
    Coming Up The Ranks
    • Join Date
      Mar 2011
    • Posts
      149
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Other
    • Gender
      Male
    • Reputation
      144,569,781
    • Rep Power
      1,445,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by st12iker View Post
    How about this?? : I took the outline from: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/die...gain-diet.html and modified it to meet my schedule and made it more do-able!


    Can some one make suggestions as to exactly what time I should take each meal?
    Also suggestions for adding ~350 calories

    9/10AM
    Meal Food Nutrition
    Meal#1
    cup Egg beaters = 2 eggs

    60g calories
    12g protein

    WORKOUT

    2:00PM
    Meal#2
    1 12 double meat Subway Club Sandwich
    2 scoops whey protein
    10oz skim milk

    1224 calories
    130g protein
    100 carbs
    16g fat

    4:00PM
    Meal#3 6oz skinless chicken breast
    8oz sweet potato
    1/2 cup mixed vegetables
    475 calories
    45g protein
    66g carbs
    4g fat

    7/8 PM
    Meal#4 1 1/2 cups low fat cottage cheese
    1 cup brown rice
    1/2 cup pineapple
    608 calories
    43g protein
    65g carbs
    16g fat

    10/11PM
    Meal#5
    1 peanut butter sandwich
    2 cans of Tuna

    800 calories
    66g protein
    42g carbs
    32g fat

    3167g calories
    284g protein
    273g carbs
    68g fat
    Your having 5 meals. Lets break this down a bit easier. Cut out the subway and cut out the milk.

    2 of your meals should carb based with protein 3 should be fat based if you want this break down.
    Protein: shakes, chicken, turkey, beef (lean) fish
    Carbs: rice, potatoes, cream of rice, ezekial bread, in some cases fruit
    Veggies: anything green thats not peas, and cauliflower
    Fats: olive oil, nuts, fish oil, evening primrose oil

    use these foods

  7. #7
    Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Aug 2008
    • Posts
      20,733
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Gender
      Female
    • Location
      Orkney Islands
    • Training Log
    • Reputation
      1,283,917,595
    • Rep Power
      12,839,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OmegaWolf View Post
    Your having 5 meals. Lets break this down a bit easier. Cut out the subway and cut out the milk.
    2 of your meals should carb based with protein 3 should be fat based if you want this break down.
    Protein: shakes, chicken, turkey, beef (lean) fish
    Carbs: rice, potatoes, cream of rice, ezekial bread, in some cases fruit
    Veggies: anything green thats not peas, and cauliflower
    Fats: olive oil, nuts, fish oil, evening primrose oil

    use these foods
    Much as I don't have much milk, almost non-existent, in my diet due to intolerance to it; I can't understand the point of suggesting or insisting that someone cuts out the milk, especially if they have no issues with digestion of milk.

    Milk is one of the food sources that is used quite a bit by forum members many of whom have had great results and have no intolerance or other issues with milk.
    1-Finger Deadlift, 1RM: 80.3lbs/36.5kg

  8. #8
    Coming Up The Ranks
    • Join Date
      Mar 2011
    • Posts
      149
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Other
    • Gender
      Male
    • Reputation
      144,569,781
    • Rep Power
      1,445,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
    Much as I don't have much milk, almost non-existent, in my diet due to intolerance to it; I can't understand the point of suggesting or insisting that someone cuts out the milk, especially if they have no issues with digestion of milk.

    Milk is one of the food sources that is used quite a bit by forum members many of whom have had great results and have no intolerance or other issues with milk.
    My reason for it is simple besides most people can "digest it" they are still not doing a good job at it over other carbs. The body is not made to digest milk sources containing of lactose. The other factor is lactose is such a junk carb it is not worth adding to the body when you can take in another source and add in a much better carb source. Overall quality. and just because many have good results using something doesn't mean they couldn't have better using something else. Many people have good results training like the pros, more will have better results other ways.

  9. #9
    Coming Up The Ranks
    • Join Date
      Aug 2010
    • Posts
      98
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      NY
    • Reputation
      4,301,997
    • Rep Power
      43,029

    Default ???? Confused ????

    Quote Originally Posted by OmegaWolf View Post
    Your having 5 meals. Lets break this down a bit easier. Cut out the subway and cut out the milk.

    2 of your meals should carb based with protein 3 should be fat based if you want this break down.
    Protein: shakes, chicken, turkey, beef (lean) fish
    Carbs: rice, potatoes, cream of rice, ezekial bread, in some cases fruit
    Veggies: anything green thats not peas, and cauliflower
    Fats: olive oil, nuts, fish oil, evening primrose oil

    use these foods
    I am confused by your comment "Cut out the subway" -- isn't a sandwich of turkey, ham, and roast beef on a foot-long piece of bread a quintessential example of a meal that is carbs and protein?

    Using your definitions of carbs: rice and potato and protein: chicken (do you consider cottage cheese protein?) I have 3 meals carb + protein (Ill change it to two...)

    The one meal "fat based" = peanut butter sandwich no?

    I also take 3 fish oil supplements (1200mg) per day. Once in the morning, and two before I go to sleep.

  10. #10
    Coming Up The Ranks
    • Join Date
      Mar 2011
    • Posts
      149
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Other
    • Gender
      Male
    • Reputation
      144,569,781
    • Rep Power
      1,445,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by st12iker View Post
    I am confused by your comment "Cut out the subway" -- isn't a sandwich of turkey, ham, and roast beef on a foot-long piece of bread a quintessential example of a meal that is carbs and protein?

    Using your definitions of carbs: rice and potato and protein: chicken (do you consider cottage cheese protein?) I have 3 meals carb + protein (Ill change it to two...)

    The one meal "fat based" = peanut butter sandwich no?

    I also take 3 fish oil supplements (1200mg) per day. Once in the morning, and two before I go to sleep.
    Bread that is not ezekial is to high in GI and also does not digest as well and offer good nutrients and macros.

    Cottage cheese is milk hence why I do not advise it.
    Peanut butter sandwich doesnt have enough protein. I would looking into some writings by shelby starnes. He was my coach and inspired me how I do diets for my clients.

  11. #11
    Seasoned M&S Veteran Spartigus's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Dec 2007
    • Posts
      5,356
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Sydney, Australia
    • Reputation
      30,047,922
    • Rep Power
      300,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by st12iker View Post
    How about this?? : I took the outline from: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/die...gain-diet.html and modified it to meet my schedule and made it more do-able!


    Can some one make suggestions as to exactly what time I should take each meal?
    Also suggestions for adding ~350 calories

    9/10AM
    Meal Food Nutrition
    Meal#1
    cup Egg beaters = 2 eggs

    60g calories
    12g protein

    WORKOUT

    2:00PM
    Meal#2
    1 12 double meat Subway Club Sandwich
    2 scoops whey protein
    10oz skim milk

    1224 calories
    130g protein
    100 carbs
    16g fat

    4:00PM
    Meal#3 6oz skinless chicken breast
    8oz sweet potato
    1/2 cup mixed vegetables
    475 calories
    45g protein
    66g carbs
    4g fat

    7/8 PM
    Meal#4 1 1/2 cups low fat cottage cheese
    1 cup brown rice
    1/2 cup pineapple
    608 calories
    43g protein
    65g carbs
    16g fat

    10/11PM
    Meal#5
    1 peanut butter sandwich
    2 cans of Tuna

    800 calories
    66g protein
    42g carbs
    32g fat

    3167g calories
    284g protein
    273g carbs
    68g fat
    Its getting there!!!

    I would add a meal before gym (after breakfast) and maybe milk after gym.

    I would drop the subjway if you can, but if you dont want to, thats fine too. Its all about sacrifice and what your willing to sacrifice and what you can make work for you. Sure everyone here knows exactly what to eat, but I (and im sure others too, especially people bulking) do enjoy cheat food here and there. Your bulking and a young guy, so a subway wont be a big problem.

    I personally eat kebabs and pides and subway when Im out. I know Possum eats and drinks but he makes it work for him and he is a big strong guy.

    But its looking very good mate!!
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

    "When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler

  12. #12
    Seasoned M&S Veteran fenrisulfr's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Aug 2010
    • Posts
      2,732
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Ohio
    • Training Log
    • Reputation
      269,796,287
    • Rep Power
      2,697,985

    Default

    Omegawolf thanks for your tips. Very informative.

  13. #13
    Coming Up The Ranks
    • Join Date
      Aug 2010
    • Posts
      98
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      NY
    • Reputation
      4,301,997
    • Rep Power
      43,029

    Default

    Thanks all for your comments!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. newbie! help with diet & workout
    By tosca in forum Women's Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-29-2011, 03:58 PM
  2. Newbie Diet Questions (Cutting)
    By Italia3 in forum Beginners Questions & Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-29-2010, 05:26 PM
  3. Newbie diet question
    By Mertz in forum Beginners Questions & Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-02-2009, 04:29 PM
  4. Newbie here, Diet/Supplement suggestions?
    By vanhorn in forum Critique My Diet
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-14-2008, 03:53 AM
  5. Newbie seeking advice on Workout,Diet etc
    By Shaun1986 in forum Beginners Questions & Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-21-2008, 09:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •