MEMBER LOGIN

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Default Confusion with my diet

Hi everyone, I am 19 years old, 177cm tall and weigh 80kg, with a lot of fat around my mid area, so my goal at the moment is to just cut fat. I do weight training with 20-30mins of high intensity cardio after it 5-6 times per week.

I calculated my daily calorie, protein, carb and fat intake last night with reasonable accuracy. Here's what I ended up with:

1441 kcal
    169.6g protein
    118.2g carbs
    31.8g fat

I know all of this seems pretty low as I've just been on the BMR calculator and it says I need 3300kcal per day. So I took 500kcal from that (which I believe is correct for fat loss) and ended up with 2800kcal for fat loss.

I then used the ratios to calculate that I need:
    210g of protein
    350g of carbs
    63g of fat per day for fat loss.

Is this correct? I just don't see how I need to double my calorie intake, nearly TRIPLE my carb intake and double my fat intake to LOSE fat.

Can someone please clarify to me that this is the right thing to do, otherwise I won't be doing it in fear of gaining even more fat.

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

anyone? I'm going to the shop now to buy peanut butter and whole milk as opposed to skimmed
    Last edited by DanWBangor91; 05-07-2011 at 02:56 PM.

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

anyone?

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

I had almost the exact same problem... let me ask you first what were you eating before you started wanting to cut fat.. how is your diet in general?

And why are you buying whole milk instead of skim??

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

I bought whole milk to get more calories and fat and that in, because apparently I'm not even having half the amount I should be
    I don't want to go into the stuff I ate to put on fat (it was over christmas). They included lots of creme eggs and sweets for a couple of months, stupid I know.
    But before I went on that binge I was eating stuf like brown rice, brown pasta, brown bread with meat which was mostly chicken and tuna, but sometimes some beef. I was eating how my PTs told me to but I still was putting on more fat than anythng else. That was with a 4 day a week routine to try and bulk.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Dont drink whole milk thats the lazy mans way of bulking i would never recommend doing that ever. Lean protein sources complex carbs and healthy fats are what you need, whole milk is simple carbs and unhealthy fats, the protein in its fine but thats it. Btw natty PB is actually a pretty good choice for healthy fats(in moderation) but i would recommend almonds and extra virgin olive oil over it. Almond butter is good but i cant afford that sh*t lol.

P.S. be patient there alot more people that need advice around here then people that give it. Most people wouldn't even help someone who just joined this site and keep bumping there own thread so impatiently in a single day. If you want that kinda service you better pay someone...
    Last edited by MightyMatt84; 05-08-2011 at 08:50 AM.
    Beast-Mode activated

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

I would get that whole milk, and make sure it's organic as well! Contrary to what most people believe, saturated fat is not bad for you.

Enjoy your milk!
    There are 2 types of people: those who enjoy learning from others; and those who think they know it all!

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Quote Originally Posted by faun2500 View Post
    I would get that whole milk, and make sure it's organic as well! Contrary to what most people believe, saturated fat is not bad for you.

Enjoy your milk!
    What are you talking about? :P Saturated fat clogs the hell out of arteries and raises blood pressure. If you're cutting you should be drinking skim, not whole milk, as mightymatt said.

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Well I've threw my whole milk and got skimmed now anyway
    Plus, it's better because I've calculated my calories spot on to my BMR (-500) now, with a 40/40/20 ratio. It's going well so far, even though it is the first day

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Make sure that the peanut butter you get is organic..the other ones have lots of sugar in them. Also, try adding almonds and avocado to you're diet. Whole wheat pasta and brown rice will also add more calories whilst keeping you're diet clean clean. Tinned sardines is also a good option, its higher in calories than tuna whilst also giving a decent serving of proteins!

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Quote Originally Posted by waffles View Post
    What are you talking about? :P Saturated fat clogs the hell out of arteries and raises blood pressure. If you're cutting you should be drinking skim, not whole milk, as mightymatt said.

Sorry but this is WRONG and I don't blame you for not knowing the truth about it.

There have been many, many studies that have proved that saturated fat dose NOT block the arteries.

The hypotheses that saturated fat is the cause of atherosclerosis was based on a '7 country study' and seemed to make sense, that is until you considered all of the 'other' countries that were left out because of there conflicting results. The results were 'cherry picked' to fit preconceptions.

Google 'Ancel keys was wrong' or something like that. You can find out about the biochemistry behind it and draw your own conclusions.

Obesity rates have risen exponentially with the low fat diet. If people would open there eye's and look at the people and see what they are eating instead of just accepting the repeated dogma then the problem might stop.

I have read lot on the biochemistry of fat and carbs and there is NO doubt in my mind that it is CARBS, insulin and triglycerides that make you fat, not fat!

I can recommend a few books - 'The Diet delusion', 'trick & treat' and 'The sugar fix'. A couple of them are very big books but the info just makes sense. Or you could find many, many articles on line. All you got to do it look.

I myself have been losing fat, adding muscle and strength for the last year eating HIGH FAT/PROTEIN diet and I was overweight all my life and bought up on the 'conventional' diet. All my family are all over weight/unhealthy and medicated to the tits....all except me that is since I started following the advise of contrarian's instead of so called 'experts'!
    There are 2 types of people: those who enjoy learning from others; and those who think they know it all!

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Smile Losing Weight

I have been on a 1500 calorie diet and found out to lose weight you have to stay away from normal soda, portion out your food, eat six small meals a day...like breakfast,snack,lunch,snack,dinner,snack...eat health food...I walk six days a week for around 2 to 4 miles...and I work out with weights on Tuesday and Thursday,but with lighter weight around 3 sets of 12 to 15 reps. I went from 320lbs to now 270 lbs and still losing. No Soda,no sugar snacks,no chips,no high fat food and watch calories.

I take Whey protein once in morning and once at night. After my workout take whey protein shot with 26 grams of protein to help recover from the workout.
    I can feel myself getting stronger as well as losing weight....