MEMBER LOGIN

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Default 2 Months back into training after 4 months out.

According To Doug I should be around 11.5% BF
    Maybe abit of a low prediction but hey ho.
    Currently at 6 Ft 1 and between 92-94kg. 205-210lbs
    My main aim is to become a competitive power lifter, Currently following a 5/3/1 Routine.
    Give me some pointers please, If you are interested in what I used to look like then take a look at the following links
    1. Me quite a while back when I first joined the forums.
    2. Me before I went on Tour with 4 month break (So 6-8 months ago)

Sorry about the lack of leg photos! Kind of awkward when your taking them yourself There's one or two reasonable ones.
    The First 5 photos are a few weeks old.
    This First One is a relaxed Side Shot after wake-up
    Back shot same condition as first
    Tensed From cold Mainly chose this picture for the quads.
    Side shot, Mainly a leg/ Shoulder/Arm shot from Cold
    Front Cold Relaxed
    Me taken yesterday after 30 mins Cardio
    Me literally 5 Minutes ago
    Me literally 5 Minutes ago Thinking my shoulders look MASSIVE!
    Tensed back shots, Well half tense with the camera could of been better.
    Last edited by walkerj; 09-11-2011 at 04:38 PM.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Looks like you made some good gains, I would probably bulk (or continue to if you already are). Keep up the work!
    Real name is Micah [my·ca]

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

If your looking at power lifting the look of your physique isn't a issue, its all how much you can move, but you arn't looking bad at all. ^5
    Natural Wheelchair Pro
    Hardware from 15 out of 16 shows.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Quote Originally Posted by myca View Post
    Looks like you made some good gains, I would probably bulk (or continue to if you already are). Keep up the work!
    Yep trying to bulk up to 100kg lean, and that will be my weight class.

Quote Originally Posted by richknapp View Post
    If your looking at power lifting the look of your physique isn't a issue, its all how much you can move, but you arn't looking bad at all. ^5
    I have recently just moved from a split routine to an more strength 5/3/1 routine. So im moving away from that, I am in the military so have to keep myself cardio fit anyway.

Im looking to stay lean reasonably and I know that will hurt me in the short run but in the long run hopefully I can still progress just struggling to get the extra Kcals in me 4000+ becomes an effort!, Im 6ft 2 so I feel I need to be in the 100kg class to have any chance really so my idea is to try and bulk up to 105kg over the next year or two (around a 25lb gain) then cut down to 100kg.
    If people can see from your photos a muscle group that is lacking behind that it ultimately going to help out with lifts also.

Probably should of stated my current 1RM also.
    With power lifting form All totally Raw.
    Bench 115kg (Still learning the form)
    Squat 150kg (Hit 120kg for 12 reps yesterday so I'm thinking I could push higher)
    Deadlift 165kg (210kg with wraps)

Appreciate the comments guys!
    Last edited by walkerj; 09-13-2011 at 11:06 AM.

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Looks like you made improvements, keep up the good work, estimated body fat atm??

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Quote Originally Posted by Davebrah View Post
    Looks like you made improvements, keep up the good work, estimated body fat atm??
    Based on Dougs assessment based on waist and wrist height weight Im approx 11.5% , The only measurement of BF I tend to keep track of is my stomach the one near your belly button cant remember the name, but since before I went away Ive lost 6mm just off that. Which is about 25%+
    The night before them cold ones were taken in my boxers I eat alot of junk food which maybe didn't help but I was reasonably happy with them.

Im starting to vascular in my chest, shoulders, traps , groin/hip flexors, as well as the standard forearm / arms. So I would suggest I'm getting quite low now. Only really storing fat in my Love handle areas and around the stomach area.

Visable abs and Obliques especially when I'm starting to pump up. Pretty please at the moment! It sort of transformed whilst I was doing F all weights and living on crap food on deployment too! Enjoying the HIIT cardio
    Last edited by walkerj; 09-13-2011 at 10:39 PM.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Just bumping seeing If i can get any more comments.. Cheers!

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Quote Originally Posted by walkerj View Post
    Im looking to stay lean reasonably and I know that will hurt me in the short run but in the long run hopefully I can still progress just struggling to get the extra Kcals in me 4000+ becomes an effort!, Im 6ft 2 so I feel I need to be in the 100kg class to have any chance really so my idea is to try and bulk up to 105kg over the next year or two (around a 25lb gain) then cut down to 100kg.
    If people can see from your photos a muscle group that is lacking behind that it ultimately going to help out with lifts also.

Probably should of stated my current 1RM also.
    With power lifting form All totally Raw.
    Bench 115kg (Still learning the form)
    Squat 150kg (Hit 120kg for 12 reps yesterday so I'm thinking I could push higher)
    Deadlift 165kg (210kg with wraps)

Appreciate the comments guys!
    It's good to see enthusiasm for powerlifting. It's a great sport, not the BS about it online but the actual Meets and Competitions and the people. You couldn't find a nicer bunch in my experience.

Anyway a couple of things from my own experience, these comments assume you are actually serious about being competitive. Not just "turning up":

1) You're severely limiting yourself in terms of weight. The 100kg category is far, far too small for you. I'm 5 foot 10 and the 100kg category is a good choice for me, feel free to look at my log I'm not fat either. At 6 foot 2 you should be looking at the 120kg at least to stand a chance at making a dent in any meaningful competition (note what I said here; meaningful competition).

2) You need to be a lot bigger and to lose your fear of smoothing out in the short-term. This is not bodybuilding, lifting heavy weights requires a surplus of energy not just to grow but to actually have the mental capacity and motivation to move heavier and heavier iron week-in-week-out. Don't think in terms of bodyfat, think in terms of your weight class.

3) 5/3/1 is not a Powerlifting routine for someone who is young, motivated and willing to work very hard. It is a very casual routine at most, compared to the type of work you need to be putting in. You will be severely limiting yourself again by choosing the 5/3/1 as the basis for your lifting. It was invented by Wendler during that period where he slimmed down, got in shape and relearned the basic lifts. It is not anywhere near demanding enough for a young, fit, motivated trainee.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Cheers for your advise Fazc.

1) I know what you mean about meaningful , Have spoken to a few people whom are in the power lifting scene and at the 100kg weight I need to be hitting around the 500-550kg to qualify for nationals. I think that's do-able at 6 ft 2 but as you said that's probably middle ground (Looking at a non-steroid fed)

2) At the moment I'm eating as much as I can to gain that calorie surplus and I have based it upon my BW rather than Lean mass so I expect to be on a 800+ Surplus daily.

3) I sort of agree with this and have said I'm scared about the volume of this workout compared to what I am used to. However Hitting heavy squat sets for reps is making me think the routine is good. Growing out the gym after all. The Squat and deadlift days are challenging just because of the pure amount of assistance sets on top of the powerlifts. But then the bench and MP days really don't seem too difficult.

Any recommendations from yourself in regards to workouts? I'm going to run 5/3/1 for a few months and see what happens I may start to add more assistance work when I can gauge which body parts are tired at certain points after certain workouts and add into it like that.

Cheers again looking forward to the reply!
    Last edited by walkerj; 09-18-2011 at 04:27 PM.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

1) I know what you mean about meaningful , Have spoken to a few people whom are in the power lifting scene and at the 100kg weight I need to be hitting around the 500-550kg to qualify for nationals. I think that's do-able at 6 ft 2 but as you said that's probably middle ground (Looking at a non-steroid fed)
    There's nothing wrong with that goal for now. I had the same goal years ago, but once you reach that and are at the Nationals you'll realise the type of lifters out there who are in your weight class totalling perhaps 200kg more and if you have any competitive spirit in you you'll want to beat them. It really is just the tip of the iceberg.

http://www.criticalbench.com/powerli...ifications.htm

Scroll down for the Raw Elite totals. That's my interpretation of "meaningful".

2) At the moment I'm eating as much as I can to gain that calorie surplus and I have based it upon my BW rather than Lean mass so I expect to be on a 800+ Surplus daily.
    Well that's good. You have room to fill out, keep eating, stay consistent.

3) I sort of agree with this and have said I'm scared about the volume of this workout compared to what I am used to.
    It's not just about growth, it's about technique refinement. It is much, much easier to refine technique when doing 10 main sets a week, rather than 1 main set. The bulk of your work should be on the main lifts and there should be a lot of work done on them each week. I'm not talking about light sets either, anyone can have perfect form on light sets, and then crumble under the heavy stuff. Some of your week should also be devoted to singles, again technique is key and learning how to struggle against a 95% weight is a useful skill to have.

Spartigus who posts here has recently converted to a 4 way split which I detailed here:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/raw-powerl...r-one-rep-max/

I wrote this based on the first 6 years of my own training. At that point I was capable of a raw 600kg total in the 82kg category (635kg being Elite). Spart has been using this for a few weeks now and has consistently added weight to the bar and he's raving about the technique work, like yourself he's young, willing to work hard and has potential.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

There is a lot of really good advice here! Fazc really know his stuff. He has been a great help to me as well, as I am also wanting to compete in powerlifting.

I am also doing that routine he posted on Muscle and Brawn, just changed slightly (with Fazc's supervision). I was on 5/3/1 before it, but IMO Fazcs one is much more fun, I am 3 weeks into it at the moment and I am loving it.
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training – and life." - Wendler

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

They aren't Elite they are monsters. I see what you mean though if you aren't aiming to be the best, then you've got to question yourself. Just wondering are these totals natural or?

Not that it matters I'm just curious on that one. I totally see your point however I can't go too crazy for strength I need CV health balance too for my job (In the military regular fitness tests)

Looked at your routine and ive been messing around with heavy triples on my Squat day today. Hit my first 160kg triple today @ Bw of around 93kg I felt good hit it for 2 sets pretty comfortably below parallel pretty annoyed I was wearing running shoes rather than flats otherwise I'd of gone higher.

What your views on switching up the 1RM sets with heavy triples working up to a 1RM mid-way through the sets and de loading back down? If that makes sense how ive explained it.

Im obviously no where near an elite power lifter at this present moment so, I'm just curious if you feel that sort of routine would be beneficial?

Im debating on working my deload week next week then moving to something similar to what you have presented here, I can appreciate your experience and would love input into the routine similar to what Spart has gained from your knowledge.

To Spart:-
    I have to say I'm feeling what your saying here Spart I often feel as if I'm not pushing myself hard enough which I have feared from the start of this routine, I don't mind so much on MP days but on bench for instance I consider this my weak spot and as Fazc has stated before More heavy working sets will refine form etc.

Ill have to study this program Give it some good thought, If you wouldnt mind posting me your routine in a Pvt message mate it would be greatly appreciated just more food for thought when modifying for myself
    Last edited by walkerj; 09-19-2011 at 12:52 PM.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

They aren't Elite they are monsters.
    No, those numbers are Elite. Yes, they can be naturally obtained. I came very close in 2006 and I am quite a lot stronger now. I am also quite vocally drug-free, having written for the HG magazine while it was active.

Those numbers aren't even *the best*, you will find higher records in many Drug-Tested federations. Those numbers are excellent standards. But *the best* is quite a strong term to use.

Not that it matters I'm just curious on that one. I totally see your point however I can't go too crazy for strength I need CV health balance too for my job
    Then perhaps it's not for you. As I said at the start, if you are serious about 'meaningful' results then I can help. However for just a decent level of strength, any decent routine will do.

I can appreciate your experience and would love input into the routine similar to what Spart has gained from your knowledge.
    Spart will do well because he has a crystal clear goal; to get brutally strong. He listens, goes away and works as hard as hell and when he posts in his log it's gratifying to see his clear progress towards his one goal. From your last two posts I don't think you have a clear idea of what you want. So before you/we can progress, that needs to be addressed.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Don't get me wrong I have a clear Idea of what I want, I just need to maintain my CV health also, and Its pretty important in strength lifting I imagine also with anaerobic playing a big part. I don't feel I have to be out of shape to gain the results if that makes sense.

Its more maintenance than improving on that one, I dont need to be able to run mass amounts just 5-10 miles a week will suffice. over 2 cardio sessions a week is usually what I'm doing my Job within the military is pretty desk confined so Its not like im getting any from that anyway.

I already have a decent base or strength with my 1RMs I believe, I want to push it to the next level, My nutrition is clean other than the odd weekend drink binge (Which needs to be cut out) I put 100% into every set of my workout. Im looking to push to the next level from above average to a power lifter.

You are the experienced one so If you say that approach is the way forward ill go for it and put 100% into it, I was merely just asking if triples would be better as I'm not looking to add 5-10kgs to my lifts it is more like 50kg overtime obviously
    Last edited by walkerj; 09-19-2011 at 06:49 PM.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

I was merely just asking if triples would be better as I'm not looking to add 5-10kgs to my lifts it is more like 50kg overtime obviously
    There's no massively complicated answer I can give you here;

1) Strength is very specific, I'd rather my guys get stronger in the rep range they'll be asked to display that strength in.
    2) Being able to grind out a lift with no fear and no hesitation with a weight nearing your absolute maximum is a very useful skill to have.
    3) This has worked the best with the guys I have worked with over the years.

As you can see from the article, you will still be getting in plenty of rep work as well. I have also discussed at length with Spart ways to evolve the routine later as you get stronger. It's in his log over at M&B if you want to take a look while you're taking this all in.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Thanks for the kind words Fazc!

If you want to look at the routine, it starts around here. Though the first part is 5/3/1, then I did some playing around and figuring things out for a bit, then got stuck into Fazcs routine.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...-3-1-a-26.html

I will probably start a log here as well.
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training – and life." - Wendler

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

To be honest I totally see your logic, If your asked to perform a 1RM in a competition then doing a considerably low weight in comparison for multi reps isn't going to help the matter.

I had a little go with it today as well as chucking in some higher reps sets when I wasn't satisfied I could hit another 1RM set.

Funnily enough I hit my 1RM + 5kg on my first attempt. Which 120kg I feel I could push up to 130 maybe possibly 135kg before I start to struggle. I felt I could of hit another rep at 120 in these sets and hit 110kg for 5.

I will study both the log and the routine over the up-and-coming weekend and hit you a private message next week if that's okay?

And Spart thanks for making your log on this subject as it will prove to be a useful aid. Cheers guys!

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

To be honest I totally see your logic, If your asked to perform a 1RM in a competition then doing a considerably low weight in comparison for multi reps isn't going to help the matter.
    Exactly, high reps in the competition lifts only really teach you to loaf through the first few reps, which is BS. Technique and aggression is everything. Technique to get the lift right and aggression to grind it through.

The competition lifts have their place for high rep work too they build a good deal of mass, they will help fill you out as you eat more and early on in your training career high rep back off sets are the best assistance for the competition lifts. That's because when you're just starting out you can't think about *weak points* you're just weak, plain and simple. So you do more of them as higher rep back off work and that's the best assistance for the main lift. But you can't just do them for high(er) reps exclusively.

Sure shoot me a PM or better yet get a log over at M&B, I'm more active there. Like I said if you're serious about it and are willing to fill out to a decent bodyweight for your height I can help.
    Last edited by Fazc; 09-22-2011 at 12:13 AM.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Quote Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
    Like I said if you're serious about it and are willing to fill out to a decent bodyweight for your height I can help.
    I just have a question about this, I dont really know what this would be, or what sort of standards to follow for it. If you want to get very strong is the idea just to keep getting bigger and stronger, or do you work up to a weight based on your height and work on getting stronger without adding a whole lot of size.

I am 5"11 and I weigh 90kg at the moment. I was wanting to aim for around 105kg, is that reasonable?

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Simple answer is; you'll know. You'll know when you still have room to fill out, you can just see it in the mirror.

But this is something that isn't bought up too much any more and it's a good question; so check this out. These are actual statistical averages taken from Soviet Champions. It's for Oly lifting but it's generally applicable here as well:

http://weightliftingexchange.com/ind...d=57&Itemid=62

I'll do the calculations for you, you should be looking at around 120kg+ ... but I'd give the general guideline that you should probably drop a category since you won't be on the sauce. So a weight of 105kg putting you in the 110kg is probably spot on.

But like I said, you'll know. If you reach 110kg and you still feel you could gain a few then great, pack it on it'll only make you stronger.
    Last edited by Fazc; 09-22-2011 at 12:34 AM.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Quote Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
    Simple answer is; you'll know. You'll know when you still have room to fill out, you can just see it in the mirror.

But this is something that isn't bought up too much any more and it's a good question; so check this out. These are actual statistical averages taken from Soviet Champions. It's for Oly lifting but it's generally applicable here as well:

http://weightliftingexchange.com/ind...d=57&Itemid=62

I'll do the calculations for you, you should be looking at around 120kg+ ... but I'd give the general guideline that you should probably drop a category since you won't be on the sauce. So a weight of 105kg putting you in the 110kg is probably spot on.

But like I said, you'll know. If you reach 110kg and you still feel you could gain a few then great, pack it on it'll only make you stronger.
    Thanks! I would rep you if I could. I think I will aim for 105-110kg, maybe heavier if I can, the thought of weighing that much puts a huge smile on my face .

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Quote Originally Posted by Spartigus View Post
    Thanks! I would rep you if I could. I think I will aim for 105-110kg, maybe heavier if I can, the thought of weighing that much puts a huge smile on my face .
    Thinking the same! What are you 1RMes at the moment Spart?

Deadlift day today. Im think ill go for a clean 180kg maybe push for a 190 if it all goes well, I can rep at 150kg now so I'm thinking my grip can handle it now