MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Default Hey guys, aspiring MMA fighter been doing Westside BB, looking to switch to

Warning: English is not myfirst language so sorry if I makeany mistakes, I did proofread the text with a dictionary and took me very long to write it but you never know. If anything is unclear or requires clarification please let me know, thank you.

(I already posted this on Sherdog and most people understood, so :P)

Hey guys, I am 17 year old aspiring MMA fighter who also likes to incorporate strength training into his routine. Until now I've been running a type of Westside barbell training with a split consisting of Max effort upper body, max effort lower body, dynamic effort upper body, dynamic effort lower body. I focus on the compound lifts, and on ME days I lift heavy in a powerlifting style while on DE days I focus mostly on explosivity with less weight and moving weight explosively as well as box jumps and such. An average ME lower body will probably consist of max effort squats, max effort deadlifts, then good mornings and that's it. An average ME upper body will probably consist of ME bench press, rows, military press, pullups, and that's it. My bodyweight is 77kg(170lbs)My 1rm for bench press is 100kg(220lbs), for squat it's 120kg(265lbs) and for DL 140kg(308lbs)Now, I have started to do MMA 3 times a week, and it's kinda tough with my 4 day split to keep the MMA going as I have no rest days. I've also heard that I'm too weak and not advanced enough to be doing Wesside barbell. So I'm wondering if I should somehow reduce volume or perhaps change to a SS like routine, I was thinking of switching to the advanced novice program, something like this:
    Workout A
    Squats - 3x5
    Bench - 3x5
    Deadlift - 1x5
    DIPS - 2 x 8-12

Workout B
    Squats - 3x5
    Standing Press - 3x5
    Pull from floor (rows 3x5 or cleans 5x3)
    PULLUPS/CHINS - 2 x 8-12 - (3 sets of pullups/chins can be done if you do the cleans instead of the rows)

However I am concerned with losing the explosivity that the DE days of the westside barbell template provides, can one of you knowledgable folk tell me what I should do? Also, what do you think of my westide barbell type routine? I've seen remarkable results with it in a short amount of time but it might just be nooby gains and a lot of people seem to think it's only for advanced trainees. So, would very much appreciate your thoughts on this and how it compares to the SS workout linked above, thanks in advance. Or ifyou think I should do another routine entirely, tell me that too

To be clear, objectives are to gain strength, gain explosity, and not be completely wrecked for MMA training. For the record I have good recovery abilities as I've always been into sports and athletic etc. THanks.

M&S Elite Member
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Hi HW92, welcome to the forum.

I think switching to a 3 day (or even a 2 day) split is probably a very good idea, given the volume of cardio/conditioning you are doing with your MMA training.

From what you've said, and from looking at your stats, it doesn't sound like you are at a stage where you need to incorporate dynamic effort training into your routine. You should focus on building a solid strength foundation first. Your squat and deadlift are very weak in comparison to your bench press, which is also an indicator that you need to work on those lifts, and on building up strength in your core/posterior chain.

The advance novice program you've posted would be an appropriate choice for you, and I'm sure you would see some very good strength gains from it if your diet and form is also good.

Another issue with a Westside style program, is that the volume of lifting you are doing is not high enough to create optimal muscular and neural adaptation at your level of lifting. Because of the way the ME lifts cycle constantly, it's also not providing a long enough period for you to milk out gains from linear progression. It's definitely a program suited for more advanced lifters, and particularly powerlifters.

Cliffs:

o The advanced novice program would be a very good choice for you.
    o Make sure your diet is squared away.
    o Make sure your form is good on all your lifts. Try and avoid going to complete fail on any lifts (although this will happen eventually on a program like SS), because that will put a very heavy toll on your CNS, which is already under enough stress with the volume of work you are doing.
    o Be VERY conservative with the amount of weight you are using. You'll never get weaker by using too light a weight, but you will get A LOT weaker when you injure yourself from using too heavy weights.

Here's the program I would suggest you use :-

Week A

Day 1
    Squat 3x5
    Bench press 3x5
    Chin-ups: 3 sets, weight added so failure occurs at 5 to 7 reps

Day 2
    Front Squat 3x5 OR Light Squat 2x5 (80% 5RM)
    Press 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5

Day 3
    Squat 3x5
    Bench press 3x5
    Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure, unweighted

Week B

Day 1
    Squat 3x5
    Press 3x5
    Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure, unweighted

Day 2
    Front Squat 3x5 OR Light Squat 2x5 (80% 5RM)
    Bench press 3x5
    Power clean 5x3

Day 3
    Squat 3x5
    Press 3x5
    Pull-ups: 3 sets, weight added so failure occurs at 5 to 7 reps

Read all of this link :- http://bit.ly/tBmFvj, but particularly the part on how much weight to use and how to progress.

Banned
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

great workout

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Performance

hey man what i see a problem with is your over all number of sets a good thing to think of is doing 3 sets each excercise i also suggest you get your squat up also but for your mma work on kicking and technique not just solely power that is what will make you a champion
    there are no limits only plateaus

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Other

I think you should be careful not to ignore cardio, high intensity weight training, and endurance weight training. Of course the idea is to knock them out with your explosiveness and strength straight away, but in case that doesn't happen... you don't want to tire out and not fight at your best!

I notice that you did have cleans in there.. these are one of the best exercises for improving explosiveness so make them a priority and try your best to explode through the movement.

I strongly suggest that you have explosive lifting in there somewhere. Ideally every single athlete should have lifts where they focus on nothing but explosiveness. Why? force production=acceleration x mass, so your body engages more muscle quickly (short story). And I, along with some others follow the logic that if you can lift explosively then you will be strong, but if you lift only for medium-term strength then you will be strong but not necessarily explosive.
    Last edited by Mammoth; 04-10-2012 at 07:06 PM.
    Lifts: (pre-shoulder surgery 24/7)

180kg/396lb Back Squat
    210kg/462lb Deadlift
    150kg Front Squat
    100kg Push Press
    100kg Clean
    85kg Snatch
    40kg DB Chest Press for 3x12
    600kgx5 45 degree Leg press
    24kg for 10 reps Ultra Strict Seated DB Curls (been working these hard for lols)