MEMBER LOGIN

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Crossfit workout??

Im a new amateur MMA fighter. My coaches told me to look into crossfit while im not training for the next month. I want to make this GOOD. And when i say crossfit, i dont mean www.crossfit.com and then WOD. Im talking about the kinds of workouts the athletes in the crossfit games do. Can anyone give me a schedule? Or. Link to another website that can help? Thanks a lot!
    Never Back Down

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Performance

dude i can give you one piece of advice from a guy that does alot of sports. that piece of advice is to not focus on any specific muscle but to train all of your muscles as much as possible a good way to do this is to train using multiple sports as part of your training also other than that there is not much else that i can say
    there are no limits only plateaus

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

You can't just do random stuff.

You need specific goals for training. Crossfit is good, but its probably not good for you.

You need to learn how to really squat, bench, press, deadlift, a clean variation and maybe a snatch variation. Lift weights 3 days a week, focus on those lifts and progression. That will build strength and will teach you a lot about exercise programming. Doing stuff like high reps for those lifts wont be a good idea, until you have a lot more strength, and even then, it probably wont be relevant to MMA. Explosive movements (clean variations and snatch variations) should be no more than sets of 3 reps, so 5x3. The other ones, 5x5 is a good choice.

You also need to do a lot of MMA, this will build speed and skill.

You also need to work on cardio, I would say a combination of running and speed training (so sprinting short intervals)
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Spartigus View Post
    You can't just do random stuff.

You need specific goals for training. Crossfit is good, but its probably not good for you.

You need to learn how to really squat, bench, press, deadlift, a clean variation and maybe a snatch variation. Lift weights 3 days a week, focus on those lifts and progression. That will build strength and will teach you a lot about exercise programming. Doing stuff like high reps for those lifts wont be a good idea, until you have a lot more strength, and even then, it probably wont be relevant to MMA. Explosive movements (clean variations and snatch variations) should be no more than sets of 3 reps, so 5x3. The other ones, 5x5 is a good choice.

You also need to do a lot of MMA, this will build speed and skill.

You also need to work on cardio, I would say a combination of running and speed training (so sprinting short intervals)
    thankyou so much, this is almost exactly what i needed!
    Never Back Down

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Quote Originally Posted by scohen95 View Post
    thankyou so much, this is almost exactly what i needed!
    Anytime! I know in the fitness industry, especially around muscle building, MMA and crossfit, there is a lot of bad advice going around that everyone gets caught up in. It is hard to sift through what is worth it and what is not.
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Anytime! I know in the fitness industry, especially around muscle building, MMA and crossfit, there is a lot of bad advice going around that everyone gets caught up in. It is hard to sift through what is worth it and what is not.
    however, i do have a big question. i like having muscle xD so will working out like this give me some bulk too? and is it ok to include pullups and chin ups and dips in here?
    Never Back Down

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Quote Originally Posted by scohen95 View Post
    however, i do have a big question. i like having muscle xD so will working out like this give me some bulk too? and is it ok to include pullups and chin ups and dips in here?

I spent a lot of time (about 4 years) doing all the wrong stuff, a lot of isolation work and a lot of "bodybuilding workouts", in those 4 years I gained about 20lbs. The last 11 months I have been focusing on getting strong, I have been focusing on the main lifts (squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, rows, chinups and dips) and very little isolation work. In those 11 months I have gained another 33lbs of muscle mass. In those 11 months, I spent about 3 or 4 of them doing MMA.

Chinups, dips and pullups are excellent, if you want more arm work do more chinups and dips.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I spent a lot of time (about 4 years) doing all the wrong stuff, a lot of isolation work and a lot of "bodybuilding workouts", in those 4 years I gained about 20lbs. The last 11 months I have been focusing on getting strong, I have been focusing on the main lifts (squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, rows, chinups and dips) and very little isolation work. In those 11 months I have gained another 33lbs of muscle mass. In those 11 months, I spent about 3 or 4 of them doing MMA.

Chinups, dips and pullups are excellent, if you want more arm work do more chinups and dips.
    wow, thanks! so my workout looks like this:
    Monday: lifting (in order)
    - Cleans (5x3)
    - Snatch (5x3)
    - Flat Benchpress (5x5)
    - Overhead Press (5x5)
    - Chin Ups (5x10) using Dumbell for the first 2 sets
    - Dips (5x10) using dumbell for the first 2 sets
    - Deadlift (5x5)
    - Squat (5x5)

Tuesday: Cardio
    - Sprints (6 sets)
    - Long Distance Run (i'm gonna shoot for 1 hour of movement, so if i stop for a break, then i stop the timer)

Wednesday: Lifting

Thursday: Cardio

Friday: Lifting

Saturday: Cardio

Sunday: Rest

I was thinking of making Wednesday a Dumbell Day, to decrease my risk of plateau. Is that good, or would it be pointless?
    Never Back Down

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

That's a good workout man! awesome stuff..

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Iv'e said this to other people on here, check out Crossfit Football. It's much more regimented, focuses on progression and has a more explosion and strength focus.