MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Get Fit

Red face how to make the most of my apartments's gym

I am the very definition of a workout beginner. I'm 22, and have always been fairly slim at 5'5" and 115 pounds. Up until the time I was 16 or so, I was fairly active, playing volleyball and bike riding, but never really working out just to get fit. However, for the past 5 or 6 years, though I haven't really gained any weight, I've lost so much muscle just from disuse, and overall I'm a little "softer" all around than I was back then.

I'm not at all worried about my weight or the way I look. What concerns me more is the fact that I can't go up a flight of stairs or walk a block without feeling sore or getting winded. I want to gain some muscle, but I don't really care about actually LOOKING muscular, nor do I feel like I really need to cut fat... I'd just like to be able to flex a muscle and it be firm rather than squishy.

My apartment complex has a small gym, so I've started by doing some cardio a few times a week. I've been eyeing the weight machines, but I just don't know where to start with them, in terms of how often to do them, how many sets/reps, how much weight, etc. Plus, there are only 5 machines, and out of those, only ONE is lower body. Would the cardio (treadmill, cross trainer, stationary bike) tone up my legs the way I want?

I like the look of this workout: muscleandstrength.com/workouts/conditioning-workout-for-women.html (sorry, it won't let me post it as a clickable link)... although the gym doesn't have dumbbells, so the machines would have to suffice for the weight routine days.... would this routine give me the kind of results I'm looking for?
    Last edited by jillianjo; 11-29-2011 at 08:27 PM.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Welcome to the forum.

You will need to train your legs with weights.
    Cardio will play a minor role in strengthening the legs, as compared to weight training exercises.

Is there any possibility of joining a gym? Apartment gyms are usually quite restrictive in the sense that they only provide a few weight machines.

You would definitely benefit by training at a proper gym, as there will be more equipment, potential to progress with exercises ( adding weight etc ) and also by able to effectively follow a workout routine - such as the Conditioning Workout For Women.

I would recommend checking out these two links as-well, they are a must read for beginners:
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/for...nce-guide.html
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/for...questions.html

If you have any further questions, post back up
    Consistency is the key

Frequent Poster

First thing to do is have some clearly defined goals. Just firming up and being able to walk up stairs isn't specific enough. If you want to lose weight, then study your diet. If you want to build muscle, there is no such thing as toning up. Building muscle takes a lot of hard work, no different than if you were a bodybuilder. The only difference between somebody that is building a little muscle and a bodybuilder is genetics and time. They both take the same amount of effort and proper routines.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Get Fit

Quote Originally Posted by Scrutiny View Post
    Is there any possibility of joining a gym? Apartment gyms are usually quite restrictive in the sense that they only provide a few weight machines.

You would definitely benefit by training at a proper gym, as there will be more equipment, potential to progress with exercises ( adding weight etc ) and also by able to effectively follow a workout routine - such as the Conditioning Workout For Women.
    I can't join a gym right now because of finances, but I have a prospective job offer in the next month that would be a little better paying, so that's definitely an option come 2012. I will look into it!

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Get Fit

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    First thing to do is have some clearly defined goals. Just firming up and being able to walk up stairs isn't specific enough. If you want to lose weight, then study your diet. If you want to build muscle, there is no such thing as toning up. Building muscle takes a lot of hard work, no different than if you were a bodybuilder. The only difference between somebody that is building a little muscle and a bodybuilder is genetics and time. They both take the same amount of effort and proper routines.
    Thank you for the clarification. I do want to build muscle, and I'm not really afraid of getting "bulky" or looking like a bodybuilder, like many women seem to worry about, because I realize that that isn't just going to suddenly happen overnight. I'm also not at all worried about my weight... I don't feel like I need to lose weight or cut fat, and I also don't care if gaining muscle makes my weight go up. The number isn't really a concern of mine. I know it's vague, but I just want to be in better physical shape. If that means building muscle, then that's what my goal is. Being able to walk up stairs without getting a cramp in my legs might not be a good long-term goal, sure... but I think it's a pretty good short-term one.

Frequent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by jillianjo View Post
    Thank you for the clarification. I do want to build muscle, and I'm not really afraid of getting "bulky" or looking like a bodybuilder, like many women seem to worry about, because I realize that that isn't just going to suddenly happen overnight. I'm also not at all worried about my weight... I don't feel like I need to lose weight or cut fat, and I also don't care if gaining muscle makes my weight go up. The number isn't really a concern of mine. I know it's vague, but I just want to be in better physical shape. If that means building muscle, then that's what my goal is. Being able to walk up stairs without getting a cramp in my legs might not be a good long-term goal, sure... but I think it's a pretty good short-term one.
    Sounds like you are in the perfect place to start resistance training. I'd pick a basic routine that has you doing the big compound lifts two or three times a week. On top of that I'd start doing some conditioning a couple of times a week, the stairs come to mind

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Well, creating a gym with your own customisation. Apart from that I was in search for apartment that already contains a gym while searching as apartment for sale in karachi. I found many options and one of them offering a perfect gyming options.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

while looking for gym activities, I saw an add that is apartment for sale in bahria town karachi they are offering multiple amenities for the above apartment that is being discussed here.