Back/Shoulders
    Wide-Grip Pullups: 4 x MAX
    Deadlifts: 12, 10, 8, 8
    BB Row: 4 x 12
    Close-Grip Pulldown: 12, 10, 8, 8

DB Press: 12, 10, 8, 8
    Side Laterals: 12, 10, 8, 8
    Seated Reverse Fly: 12, 10, 8, 6

Note: I've placed pullups first as I am quite horrible at them and am treating it as a good warm up to deads. Thoughts on having reverse flys when the rear delts are being hit during BB rows?

Legs/Abs
    Squat: 12, 10, 8, 8, 6
    DB Lunge (unilateral): 12, 12, 12, 12
    Romanian Deadlift: 12, 10, 8, 6
    Leg Curls: 12, 10, 8, 6
    Standing Calf Raise: 14, 12, 12, 10, 8

Weighted Crunch: 3 x MAX
    Ab Bike: 3 x MAX

Note: Romanian dead is placed where it is to give my lower back a break after squats. Thoughts on incorporating both deadlift variations in the same routine? I have seen it done before but know that some may argue its a bad idea.

Arms
    Close-Grip Bench: 12, 10, 8, 8
    Rope Pushdown: 12, 10, 8, 8
    Dips: 4 x MAX

BB/EZ Bar Curls: 12, 10, 8, 8
    DB Curls: 12, 10, 8, 8
    Rope Curls (close-grip): 12, 10, 8, 8
    Last edited by DTjCW; 12-22-2011 at 02:14 AM.
    ON THE ROAD TO 260LB! Currently 237.6

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

The split could be arranged better - in my opinion.

Day #1 you are working your chest, and day #2 you are working your shoulders.
    Too much overlap here, your shoulders will be heavily stimulated from your chest pressing movements.

Is there any specific reason for an arm day? You may be better off just separating your biceps and triceps and thus pair them with a different muscle group.

I would recommend a 4 day split like this - preferably Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday:

Chest/Triceps
    Legs
    Back/Biceps
    Shoulders

That way you will have some more recovery on your side.

Looking at your workout volume (sets), it looks to be a bit excessive.
    12 sets for such small muscles in biceps and triceps probably isn't needed - I would opt for 4-6 total sets instead. Be mindful that your arms get plenty of stimulation from your pulling and pushing exercises aswell.

It probably wouldn't hurt your larger muscle groups if you lower the volume aswell - 9-12 total sets for the larger muscle groups should be more than enough.
    It's up to you and how your body responds to that amount of sets per muscle group though.

The exercises you have chosen look good, looks like you have chosen a good selection of compound exercises, followed up by a couple of isolation exercises.

As for reverse flyes - are your rear delts a weak point?
    If not, I wouldn't bother with them.
    If you are performing your back exercises correctly with strict form - your rear delts should get plenty of stimulation.
    As a personal experience - my rear delts are larger and stronger through just relying on my back exercises - I haven't performed rear delt flyes in probably more than a year now.

Hope that helps
    Consistency is the key

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Scrutiny View Post
    The split could be arranged better - in my opinion.

Day #1 you are working your chest, and day #2 you are working your shoulders.
    Too much overlap here, your shoulders will be heavily stimulated from your chest pressing movements. This did occur to me and is the reason day 2 has been legs forever. What I was trying to do is place legs later in the week, but I understand their workout is a good buffer between upper body work.

Is there any specific reason for an arm day? Although it could be achieved by pairing chest/bis and back/tris I have found that stimulation through secondary use in addition to a focus day yields the best results for my arms. You may be better off just separating your biceps and triceps and thus pair them with a different muscle group. Some routines I like to pair them up, others I like to give them their own day. Believe me, I understand where you're coming from but it is more of a variation to ward off any monotony routine to routine.

I would recommend a 4 day split like this - preferably Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday:

Chest/Triceps
    Legs
    Back/Biceps
    Shoulders

That way you will have some more recovery on your side. It is a great way to split up the groups, I agree, and a split that I have used many times before. Just trying to use some alternative groupings.

Looking at your workout volume (sets), it looks to be a bit excessive.
    12 sets for such small muscles in biceps and triceps probably isn't needed - I would opt for 4-6 total sets instead. Beginning to think I was on autopilot now! I will cut them down. Be mindful that your arms get plenty of stimulation from your pulling and pushing exercises aswell.

It probably wouldn't hurt your larger muscle groups if you lower the volume aswell - 9-12 total sets for the larger muscle groups should be more than enough.
    It's up to you and how your body responds to that amount of sets per muscle group though. Will make adjustments as necessary.

The exercises you have chosen look good, looks like you have chosen a good selection of compound exercises, followed up by a couple of isolation exercises.

As for reverse flyes - are your rear delts a weak point?
    If not, I wouldn't bother with them.
    If you are performing your back exercises correctly with strict form - your rear delts should get plenty of stimulation. This was my thinking. I will most probably remove them.
    As a personal experience - my rear delts are larger and stronger through just relying on my back exercises - I haven't performed rear delt flyes in probably more than a year now.

Hope that helps
    Thanks mate.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Personally I would go
    Chest
    Legs
    Shoulders
    Back

Your bodies going to be taxed after a leg sesh, give it a good rest before back.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

I would probably be pressing twice a week, with enough back work to maintain balance (ie 1 set of back work per set of pressing).

It would be good to see you squatting twice a week too.

Also its not needed to have an arm day.
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Spartigus View Post
    I would probably be pressing twice a week, with enough back work to maintain balance (ie 1 set of back work per set of pressing). Write up how this routine would look. I'd be interested to give it a try.

It would be good to see you squatting twice a week too.

Also its not needed to have an arm day. I'm sure you mean well, but I didn't know I would have to defend this so much. I have tried various combinations of working out arms and have found that stimulation one day through secondary use and another day where the muscle is the focus has worked best for me. Thanks for the advice