MEMBER LOGIN

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Tone Up

Last edited by cheeky; 04-19-2011 at 10:01 AM.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Tone Up

Question Demo or video for the routine

hi doug, just want to ask where i can find the demos or videos of your routine. I dont know any of it and dont want to hire trainer for that. I really want to tone up the only problem is I dont know whether im doing it right. Right now i am just using all the equipments in the gym. I dont know if it can tone me up since i am not sure whether im targetting all the muscles. Please help me! Thanks in advance

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by icee View Post
    hi doug, just want to ask where i can find the demos or videos of your routine. I dont know any of it and dont want to hire trainer for that. I really want to tone up the only problem is I dont know whether im doing it right. Right now i am just using all the equipments in the gym. I dont know if it can tone me up since i am not sure whether im targetting all the muscles. Please help me! Thanks in advance
    Hi icee, welcome to the forum

You can find videos of exercises for each body part in the link below...

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/exercises/main.html

Any exercises you are not sure of then let us know and will help in anyway that we can
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

Default onto week 7

I'm onto Week 7 but I don't feel challenged and to be honest didn't really feel challenged from day 1. It seems too good to be true! I was always used to working out with a half hour of cardio then weights or vice versa but just doing weights and cardio on separate days makes it seem really easy. Is this still efficient and is this really all i need to lose weight.
    I'm trying to lose fat right now and I am a very experienced in working out so I always feel like the standard workout for a regular isn't enough.
    What can I do to tailor this workout or another workout to help me lose the fat.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by beachcrazd View Post
    I'm onto Week 7 but I don't feel challenged and to be honest didn't really feel challenged from day 1. It seems too good to be true! I was always used to working out with a half hour of cardio then weights or vice versa but just doing weights and cardio on separate days makes it seem really easy. Is this still efficient and is this really all i need to lose weight.
    I'm trying to lose fat right now and I am a very experienced in working out so I always feel like the standard workout for a regular isn't enough.
    What can I do to tailor this workout or another workout to help me lose the fat.
    lol, a typical female who wants it now, altering body composition and losing body fat doesnt happen overnight it is a gradual change

Loosing fat and just losing body weight are two different subjects, the first one can be a permanent thing, the latter can mean a loss of muscle and the normal fat gain after coming off the diet.

If your in week seven you should by now be seeing results, you are performing 3 days weights and 3 days HIIT, how is that not challenging your body, do you go up in the weights when you are able to, providing an overload on the muscle with an increase in the amount of weight you use, will cause a change in muscle

Is the HIIT not challenging you enough from the three days ?

Remember you have to allow adequate recovery to obtain results from the training

Have you had your body fat percentage calculated from when you started and as the weeks progress?

Is the diet good ?
    Doug

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

ha i guess it came off a little demanding " I'm trying to lose fat right now..." i meant that what i'm focusing on now is fat loss. I dont care about weight loss hopefully losing the fat will help promote the weight loss as well.

I guess I just thought that doing cardio 3 days a week was too good to be true, i'm always used to doing it 5 to 6 days a week if i wanted to try to lose fat.

So I finished week 7 and decided that I would try a different workout and it turns out to be another one of yours. Doug's 6 Day Cutting Routine

I think i like this one better but not sure if i'll make it to the gym twice a day : (

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

hi doug and everyone else
    i was doing a different programme but now i've come across this and so i'm going to go for it. my 18 yo daughter was looking for something too and so now we're going to do this together as much as possible.
    i can do the weights mon.wed.fri but because of college she can only do it mon.thurs.fri. can she do the weights on thurs and friday? just worried cos of consecutive days.

quick question - i can't get to the gym 5 days a week so my weights will be in the gym for 3 days and my cardio will be at home - in the absence of a static cycle can i do this kind of thing with my daughter at home? http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._fast_fat_loss
    (number 5) - i was looking for a non leg dominant workout because i am great with weights but if i do exercise 5 days a week i find my knees start to complain (probably my age lol) and my daughter is happy with it because she used to do kickboxing and loves all the punching

if you think not can you suggest an alternative to static cycle?
    thanks again for what looks like a really good workout - looking forward to it!

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by alirosie View Post
    hi doug and everyone else
    i was doing a different programme but now i've come across this and so i'm going to go for it. my 18 yo daughter was looking for something too and so now we're going to do this together as much as possible.
    i can do the weights mon.wed.fri but because of college she can only do it mon.thurs.fri. can she do the weights on thurs and friday? just worried cos of consecutive days.

quick question - i can't get to the gym 5 days a week so my weights will be in the gym for 3 days and my cardio will be at home - in the absence of a static cycle can i do this kind of thing with my daughter at home? http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._fast_fat_loss
    (number 5) - i was looking for a non leg dominant workout because i am great with weights but if i do exercise 5 days a week i find my knees start to complain (probably my age lol) and my daughter is happy with it because she used to do kickboxing and loves all the punching

if you think not can you suggest an alternative to static cycle?
    thanks again for what looks like a really good workout - looking forward to it!
    Hi, It would be ok for daughter to workout on two consecutive days. Any type of cardio will aid in burning stored calories. Fast walking is also a good method of cardio for fat loss
    Doug

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

That's GREAT news! thanks so much for the reply.
    My daughter and I both started the workout together today (biceps, triceps and shoulders). I'm so pleased - cardio tomorrow!

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

That's GREAT news! thanks so much for the reply.
    My daughter and I both started the workout together today (biceps, triceps and shoulders). I'm so pleased - cardio tomorrow!
    Good luck, keep us informed how you are progressing or if we are able to help in anyway with any questions you may have
    Doug

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

Default fitting it all in

I am very anxious to start this routine, but I have a question/problem - I teach indoor cycling Monday, Thursday and Friday mornings for 45 minutes each. How can I fit this workout into my week? I don't mind doing my lifting after my class but it's more effective to do your cardio AFTER lifting, correct? I don't have the option of working out in the afternoon/evening until my youngest goes to first grade next year, so it has to be in the mornings while he's in kindergarten. I also do a Bootcamp-type class Saturdays to get ready for a race, so I really can't do much else that day either. Can I get this done in 45 minutes or less, maybe before my class? Can I do two of the days in a row - Tuesday & Wednesday when I don't teach? I know it's not the best, but I need to be able to hit all the body parts! HELP!

Michelle~

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Hi Michelle, welcome to the forum

Is the cycling classes you teach high intensity ?

Can you perform the weights sessions on non-cycling days ?
    Doug

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

Yes high intensity. Hills, intervals, sprints etc. I am trying to avoid spending the weekend at the gym since I am already there Saturday, but the only days I don't ride are back to back (Tuesday & Wednesday). Could I do Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday? I want to get the most out of the workout but with the way my teaching schedule is it doesn't make it easy to get lifting in since I want to avoid Sundays. I'm not a fan of doing back to back days, but I'm not sure how else to work it in either.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by SpinnerMom View Post
    Yes high intensity. Hills, intervals, sprints etc. I am trying to avoid spending the weekend at the gym since I am already there Saturday, but the only days I don't ride are back to back (Tuesday & Wednesday). Could I do Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday? I want to get the most out of the workout but with the way my teaching schedule is it doesn't make it easy to get lifting in since I want to avoid Sundays. I'm not a fan of doing back to back days, but I'm not sure how else to work it in either.
    Hi, yes you can perform the routine on Tues/Wed/Fri

Remember the total calorie expenditure from your high intensity cardio, you dont want to create too great a calorie deficit from exercise on these days, you may need to increase calories on these days
    Doug

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

Default week 2 for beginners

Hi Doug
    Just to say THANKS - great workout. I hate getting bored and there's always something different.
    Quick question - you said that beginners should do no more than 2 sets in week one 8-10 reps. I've looked at week 2 and it goes into 3 sets 15-20 reps. Not sure i can manage this yet so should i make my week 2 as your week one (some exercises 4 sets etc). Or should i drop the weight so i can do the extra sets and reps?

Hope i've explained myself ok

Whichever it is i can't wait i'm loving it!!!

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

alirosie

Hi Doug
    Just to say THANKS - great workout. I hate getting bored and there's always something different.
    Quick question - you said that beginners should do no more than 2 sets in week one 8-10 reps. I've looked at week 2 and it goes into 3 sets 15-20 reps. Not sure i can manage this yet so should i make my week 2 as your week one (some exercises 4 sets etc). Or should i drop the weight so i can do the extra sets and reps?

Hope i've explained myself ok

Whichever it is i can't wait i'm loving it!!!
    Hi, stick on the week one for as long as you are comfortable with, before progressing to the three sets, that extra set is quite demanding
    Doug

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

My girlfriends and I are just starting this routine this week and are so far loving it. However, in week 2 the sets go to 15-20 reps - should that be the same weight as week 1? If we are fatiguing on the last couple reps of the last set of 8-10, how will we squeeze out 15-20 at the same weight? Should weight be dropped for the higher reps? They looked at the increase and freaked out! I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered before but I didn't have the patience to read through all the pages.

Thanks so much,
    Michelle~

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

Hi Doug
    really enjoying this program still! My daughter just loves lifting weights now rather than endless cardio and that's fantastic to see. I'm also noticing a lot more strength than i used to have even with my previous weightlifting program.
    Quick question. My gym has a reasonable range of equipment but the one and only lat pulldown machine is ancient and 70% of the time you see the dreaded "out of order" sign on it. A trainer there said the vertical traction machine will provide equivalent. Is he right? sorry but i would rather trust your opinion

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

Hi Doug
    really enjoying this program still! My daughter just loves lifting weights now rather than endless cardio and that's fantastic to see. I'm also noticing a lot more strength than i used to have even with my previous weightlifting program.
    Quick question. My gym has a reasonable range of equipment but the one and only lat pulldown machine is ancient and 70% of the time you see the dreaded "out of order" sign on it. A trainer there said the vertical traction machine will provide equivalent. Is he right? sorry but i would rather trust your opinion
    You could go with an assisted pull-up/dip machine too
    Purus Labs Representative
    www.thesquatjedi.com
    www.puruslabs.net
    https://www.facebook.com/puruslabs

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

i've reached the week where i have to do 3 sets of 15-20 reps but there are some exercises that i can't do the full 15 reps

for example in workout one on monday i could only do 7 reps on the last set of tricep extension. today (wednesday) the leg extension and leg curl are at 12, 9 and 8 reps. seriously i cannot do any more on those exercises. is this ok or am i totally failing at this?

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal

i love all Doug's posts

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

Hey Doug! I'm new to the site.. Anyway, I'm 5 feet and 59 kgs (almost overweight).. was wondering if this program would be good for me? If yes, then what should be my calorie intake? My BMR is 1400.. I wanted to lose around 10 kgs this year.. or maybe sooner (like 6 months.. ) Please help Thanks..

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by racheltc View Post
    Hey Doug! I'm new to the site.. Anyway, I'm 5 feet and 59 kgs (almost overweight).. was wondering if this program would be good for me? If yes, then what should be my calorie intake? My BMR is 1400.. I wanted to lose around 10 kgs this year.. or maybe sooner (like 6 months.. ) Please help Thanks..
    Hi welcome to the forum. Forget about losing weight but concentrate more on losing body fat and altering body composition. Most females who solely concentrate on losing "weight" end up just drastically cutting back on calories and end up losing some muscle tissue. Muscle tissue burn calories so if your muscle goes down so does you ability to lose body fat and you will suffer with a lowering of your metabolism.

Firstly you should calculate your required intake of calories to maintain your current body weight. Use the BMR/Activity calculator to give you a starting figure of calories. You should then subtract approx 500 from the total the calculator gives you. This then is your starting daily calorie requirement. Then by monitoring of your BF%/total body fat/fat free mass on a regular basis will enable you to see what is happening to your own body. Then make changes to your diet and training to suit results.
    Doug

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

Default haven't checked in for ages!

been doing your program now for 10 weeks and have been doing well. i've been faithfully sticking to weights 3x a week and 30 mins HIIT cardio 2x a week and have noticed good strength gains and have been really pleased that people have been commenting on seeing muscle in my arms, back and shoulders

i can also feel muscle in my legs for sure but i do have some fat on leg/thigh area so its not as noticeable as my arms but i'm not complaining. 10 weeks is nothing compared to the length of time that i wasted just dieting/cardio alone. i'm really really pleased with this program and my progress.

one question if i may? this last 2 weeks i have noticed i haven't been able to increase my weights and this week i've felt really tired most days and am lifting less reps despite my best effort. any ideas why i would be plateauing??

i'm sure its me so was wondering if you could give me some suggestions?

thanks very much