MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Get Huge

Default Some quick advice please?

After using this site as my #1 source for all things weight lifting related I have a few questions I would like to ask.

I have been going to the gym for about 5 weeks now however I do think I made one mistake in the way I have gone about things. My goal is basically to pack on a nice bit of muscle, and at the same time lose my belly and man-tits (lol they ain't all that big)

I was recently looking through workouts, and I see the beginner workout, in which it said it was essential to work through this workout for 8-12 weeks before heading into a proper program. Now I'm not one to take this like the be-all and end-all, but should I have at least tried a slow, beginner workout? I have simply jumped the boat and went straight into the power-muscle-burn workout, and after a serious case of DOMS for about a week (LOL, I kinda miss it :P) I'm finding it comfortable now. However, was this a mistake?

Also, is it counterproductive to go on a run before starting weights? I usually hop on the treadmill for about 30 mins before I start lifting and usually run around 4.5-4.8km in 30 mins. It has improved my fitness a lot, however could this be undoing the work I am doing from lifting?

Finally, it is not exactly possible for me to follow dietary routines etc. however I can have some solid meals throughout the day, is it still possible for me to pack on size? I don't REALLY want to eat a lot atm, as I am quite big (I don't appear fat, but underneath I am quite big) and I'm quite a stocky guy naturally. I'm really unsure what to do. I am currently new to the gym and I basically go 5 times a week, usually after college and work my ass off. With me, I have the mentality that if I'm not gonna give 100%, there's no point in doing it, which generally applies for everything with me.

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated, even if you take the time to read this I would be grateful lol. I'm just looking for that extra bit of advice to make sure I utilise my time in the gym fully and it's not a waste of time. I don't really have anyone I can talk to, as none of my friends go to the gym but I'm just looking to pack on some nice muscle. Once again, thanks a lot. (My legs are still so sore, almost threw up yesterday I squatted and lunged so hard :P )

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Welcome to the forum.

First of all, I will recommend that you focus on one goal only - as both building muscle and losing fat at the same time can be quite difficult to achieve due to the different calorie requirements needed for both goals.

A beginners workout will definitely be necessary for someone starting out in the gym.
    You have to start somewhere, jumping into a full-blown 4-5 workout plan immediately with heavy weights can lead to injury and other issues.
    The beginners workout routine is to allow you to ease into weight-training, to get your muscles/tendons/connective tissues used to the exercise. Going flat out on an intermediate/advanced routine will only expose yourself to injury and/or over-training to a degree.

As for running, it may be best performing this post workout.
    Running extensively ( 30mins ) before a workout will only just drain your energy stores which will most likely have you under-performing and fatigued for your weight training to follow.
    Not exactly ideal, as your body will literally be catabolic when you begin weight-training.
    Cardio CAN be done pre workout, however post workout tends to be most optimal for most people for the reasons above.
    Also be sure to compensate for the calories/energy you are expending with the running, as running will burn calories and thus you will need to compensate this expenditure to provide you the materials your body needs to grow muscle.

If you want to build muscle, you will need to eat, and eat in an excess of what your body requires ( this is called a hyper-caloric or calorie surplus diet ).
    Fact is, not providing your body with an excess of calories will really limit your chances and ability to build muscle. Without providing the materials necessary for growth, it will be compromised.
    Check out the info in the below link, it has all the resources you need with setting up an eating plan based on your goals:
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/for...nce-guide.html

Hope that helps & all the best.
    Consistency is the key

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Get Huge

Thanks a lot bro, much appreciated.

I think I may switch to a beginner workout, although I have been using the intermediate workout for 5 weeks and am feeling quite good atm, but I will take your word for it to prevent any further injury. Sorry for the going overboard with questions, but I believe it is common knowledge that it is easier to "turn" fat into muscle, than it is to build muscle itself. Now if I already have a bit of fat on me, is it still needed to undergo an excess calorie intake?

That is all, I will switch workouts based on your advice and hope to see some good results soon! Thanks a lot

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

My best advise for you is to include a lot of cardio to your workout. I never ran before in my life, and a month ago I just kept running until I was about to puke. The next day I was able to run a little farther before the point of vomit.. and so on. I'm not overweight or anything but from personal training my friend who has the same problem with you, I found that lifting heavy, eating moderate and doing as much cardio as you do weights (figure of speech, just put in as much in cardio if not more than you would with weights). I'm not an expert or anything but I trained my friend and it worked for him.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Get Huge

Yes, I know that is very true. To give you an idea of how unfit I am, when I first started the gym, I could only run for about 6 minutes at 10km/h before I got a nasty stitch and felt like passing out. To be perfectly honest, that is pathetic. In about 5 weeks now I can run for 15 minutes straight at 11km/h and then 15 minutes light jog at 9km/h, and I do feel a lot better.

I'm just quite unsure as to what to do, go on a fat-burning program, lose it all then start a muscle building program or go straight into a muscle building program. Will going straight into muscle-building make me lose the excess fat around my upper body? I'm kinda confused lol, I just have no-one to talk to about this properly

Gainz Train Conductor Squatzilla's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
      Indefinitely displaced until further notice
    • Training Log

Trial & Error mate. .....
    See what works for you Faz. It is a known fact that Muscle burns Calories period (its heavier then fat therefore burns more calories as a result). The more muscle you put on the more calories you burn(even when you resting/during domestic life routine). Personally I'd advise you to opt for a muscle-building programme ( seeings as you a rank beginner your muscle gains will tend to be swift , whilst at the same time fat loss will occur). Once you have gained sufficient Strength & Size (approaching intermediate mark) you can than obviously be more specific with your Training programme i.e. 'Clean Bulk' (add more size requires a calorie surplus diet ) or 'Slow Cut' (Still train for muscle/strength but with a calorie deficit diet plan).

P.S: look up Full Body workouts on here (Compound oriented routines). Follow a set 3 day work out plan (M-W-F). Throw in the cardio post work out + do some core strengthening work (weighted sit ups/cable crunches). Its not hard at all Just ensure you Lift Big +Eat Big+ Rest Big (this philosphy applies if you on a quest for strength/size/muscle)
    Big Exercises FIRST. Finishing Touches Later ALWAYS

"Here's the thing...Something like 80% of the population doesn't even workout. Out of the 20% that do 80% don't squat... And out of the 20% that do squat, maybe 10% of those actually SQUAT! Not smith machine squats, not 1/4, not 1/2, or 2/3 squats, but actual squats... So call me surprised when I see someone doing 2/3 plate full ROM squats so effortlessly"

Gym 1RM's (December 2014)

Squat: 180kg 400lbs
    Bench: 130kg - 287lbs
    Deads: 225kg 497Lbs
    MOHP: 87.5kg - 193lbs

Big 3 Total = 535kg - 1179.67lbs

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Get Huge

Thanks bro, good advice.

I don't know whether to do a full body workout though, like with me gym is also a past-time as well as gaining benefits, and it's something I enjoy a lot so I like to be in there when I can. I know I still rank as a beginner, but do I still need to do beginner workouts? I tried one for a week and I really didn't feel much, but going straight into Intermediate I am definitely feeling it (but easily coping), as well as seeing gains. My bench has gone up from 30kg to 40kg and I am seeing visible changes. I also do make sure I do massive compound lifts such as deadlift, bench and squats and my form (I like to think) is correct. I asked a few gym regulars who were doing it correct and they taught me. I'm definitely going on a muscle-building routine however as you said. I'm just gonna work out a diet-plan this week and start my journey next week, hoping to see some visible gains in 2-3 months, it's a journey I'm definitely looking forward to. Wish me luck!

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Training Log

As long as you do/did/done your research & are progressing accordingly. Just remember to include the 7 exercises below in your workouts:

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Bench
    Pull ups
    Dips
    Rows
    OHP ( Over head press)

Goodluck with the Summer gains bruv.

"Here's the thing...Something like 80% of the population doesn't even workout. Out of the 20% that do 80% don't squat... And out of the 20% that do squat, maybe 10% of those actually SQUAT! Not smith machine squats, not 1/4, not 1/2, or 2/3 squats, but actual squats... So call me surprised when I see someone doing 2/3 plate full ROM squats so effortlessly"

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Get Huge

Thanks a lot man, I struggle like crazy with the dips, like I can't do one. My chest is probably the weakest part of my body by far, I'm trying to change that though. Yeah, pull-ups I struggle with too, but I try every day just trying to inch my way up, hopefully hitting that one rep. I am still quite wary of deadlifts however, I just have that fear inside that I will f*ck my back up, which I don't want so I'm not really doing them atm, but all the others I have included. Anyway thanks for the heads up man, hope you reach your goals too!

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Training Log

Faz we all had to start somewhere mate plain honest truth.......... I still remember the lack of upper strength in the early days i.e. couldnt bench press the Olympic Bar or do a 'legit' Dip/ Pull/Chin up without looking around thinking damn this is embarassing. But its self encouragement and perserverance that gets you through what I call the 'Beginners Barrier'. My signature says it all mate 'positive progress is a slow process' It will come glad you focused on your training Stick at it

The psychology of your fear will prove to be a major setback if you dont tackle this early on. On this site there is /are TONNES of free info/advise available if in doubt. All the 'big boys' advocate the Big lifts and thats the quickest way to get big provided you apply the right technique/form and progressively load sensibly. See how you do with the other lifts once you start feeling confident with the Iron throw the Deadlifts in start light and lift smart.
    Last edited by Squatzilla; 02-29-2012 at 11:16 AM.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Get Huge

Yeah man, I will definitely give it a go next week. I did try deadlifts the other day, but I kind of turned it into a squat or whatever, tbh I don't know wtf I was doing but it was wrong. When I look in the mirror and do it without a bar, just practicing the movement, it's fine. The moment I pick up the bar it goes horribly wrong lol. I'll ask one of the big guys in the gym next time to show me how it's done.

Thanks for the heads up anyway man, it's much appreciated!

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

If you are a complete beginner then its more important for you to build a habit of going to the gym regularly then trying to improve on your workouts. Just do any workout you are comfortable doing and just stick with it for at least 3 months.