MEMBER LOGIN

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 52
  1. #26
    VENI VIDI VICI Gabro's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Oct 2010
    • Posts
      3,589
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Mt. Olympus
    • Reputation
      70,437,445
    • Rep Power
      704,400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicksix View Post
    Stronger men are harder to kill...unless you know BJJ

    I agree with you about the OP joining a Muay Thai gym.
    Great for practicality, and fitness
    hahaha comes to my mind stefan struve at ufc146
    I do not count reps, I make every rep count !!

    175cm/75kg

  2. #27
    FEAR NO BARBELL EliteDreams's Avatar
    • Join Date
      May 2012
    • Posts
      4,009
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Georgia mountains
    • Training Log
    • Reputation
      49,029,202
    • Rep Power
      490,320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabro View Post
    Of course can be justified. what about some guy trying to rob you, it will be a ''streetfight'' and its gonna be totally justified whatever I feel that I must do.
    A justified "Street Fight",if thats what you call it,will awlays be reffered to as self-defense.Because if you ever go to court,which you will if you get involved in an altercation,you damn well better use the term "Self-Defense."

    I know of some lost cases where a totally justified case of self defense was lost because the prosecuter kept throwing out the word "Fight" and no one corrected him.A "Fight" is something people do for the hell of it,which is also known as ILLEGAL.A fight can be the same as boxing,or wrestling,whatever you wanna call it.

    Self defense is just that,defending yourself or those around you from immenent physical harm and,in some states,property damage (stand your ground laws,way too much to cover here,and not neccessary to my point).

    Sorry to drag this out,i know you mean well,but i have to correct you.Dont want you to ever get in trouble because the court system has a very twisted vocabulary.
    ANTI FAILURE

  3. #28
    Seasoned M&S Veteran AToE's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Nov 2011
    • Posts
      2,231
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Calgary
    • Reputation
      15,541,281
    • Rep Power
      155,431

    Default

    I think he's talking about "justified" in a morality sense, not in a legal sense.

    But yeah, don't ever say "I got into a fight" in court!

  4. #29
    Regular Poster
    • Join Date
      May 2011
    • Posts
      362
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      louisiana
    • Reputation
      40,743,111
    • Rep Power
      407,441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
    A justified "Street Fight",if thats what you call it,will awlays be reffered to as self-defense.Because if you ever go to court,which you will if you get involved in an altercation,you damn well better use the term "Self-Defense."

    I know of some lost cases where a totally justified case of self defense was lost because the prosecuter kept throwing out the word "Fight" and no one corrected him.A "Fight" is something people do for the hell of it,which is also known as ILLEGAL.A fight can be the same as boxing,or wrestling,whatever you wanna call it.

    Self defense is just that,defending yourself or those around you from immenent physical harm and,in some states,property damage (stand your ground laws,way too much to cover here,and not neccessary to my point).

    Sorry to drag this out,i know you mean well,but i have to correct you.Dont want you to ever get in trouble because the court system has a very twisted vocabulary.
    Thats for sure that the system has a twisted vocabluary.

    the law should be written like it used to be at one point where even the average man can defend himself in a court,and have a chance of doing it successfully.

  5. #30
    Regular Poster
    • Join Date
      May 2011
    • Posts
      362
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      louisiana
    • Reputation
      40,743,111
    • Rep Power
      407,441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicksix View Post
    Stronger men are harder to kill...unless you know BJJ

    I agree with you about the OP joining a Muay Thai gym.
    Great for practicality, and fitness
    You do know that BJJ is not really Ju jitsu don't you?

    Mitsuyo Maeda was a Japanese judōka (judo expert) who was fundamental to the development of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, including through his teaching of Carlos Gracie and others of the Gracie family.

    Brazilian Ju jitsu was derived from the Japanese martial art of Kodokan judo.

  6. #31
    Regular Poster
    • Join Date
      May 2011
    • Posts
      362
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      louisiana
    • Reputation
      40,743,111
    • Rep Power
      407,441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AToE View Post
    I think he's talking about "justified" in a morality sense, not in a legal sense.

    But yeah, don't ever say "I got into a fight" in court!

    LOl that rteminds me of my best freind who said that,and even though he fought in self-defence he got 90 days in the lock up.

    I told the smuck do not meantion ther word fight say self defence

  7. #32
    Regular Poster
    • Join Date
      May 2011
    • Posts
      362
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      louisiana
    • Reputation
      40,743,111
    • Rep Power
      407,441

    Default

    But speaking of grappling,besides savate I also practice Bartitsu which as jujitsu in it,but I still use/study the old bareknuckle boxing style grappling as apart of it as well.
    A freind of mine asked me why.

    i said for the following reasons:

    1) in Classic Pugilism style grappling all of the grappling techniques have variations which do not require the use of fingers for grasping,which is a good think if you have a fractured hand and have no other choice but to try to throw someone.

    I told him the following as well.

    2)The old grapples from bareknuckle boxing are "high percentage".This generally means that a given technique is simple to preform and uncomplicated,making it easier to remeber and execute with a higher likelihood of successfully being performed under stress against an opponet doing his utmost to prevent you from performing the technique.

  8. #33
    M&S Power User Nicksix's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jul 2009
    • Posts
      1,607
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      South Africa
    • Reputation
      17,494,711
    • Rep Power
      174,966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Conan View Post
    You do know that BJJ is not really Ju jitsu don't you?

    Mitsuyo Maeda was a Japanese judōka (judo expert) who was fundamental to the development of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, including through his teaching of Carlos Gracie and others of the Gracie family.

    Brazilian Ju jitsu was derived from the Japanese martial art of Kodokan judo.
    That, sir, is irrelevant
    Everything wrestling, BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing & MMA.
    Full time Super Saiyan.

  9. #34
    Regular Poster
    • Join Date
      May 2011
    • Posts
      362
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      louisiana
    • Reputation
      40,743,111
    • Rep Power
      407,441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicksix View Post
    That, sir, is irrelevant

    Maybe but I just felt like tossing the history of the arts origins out there

  10. #35
    VENI VIDI VICI Gabro's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Oct 2010
    • Posts
      3,589
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Mt. Olympus
    • Reputation
      70,437,445
    • Rep Power
      704,400

    Default

    Conan you seems like the guy that would like to learn ''the art of fighting'' with a weird skinny asian in the hills lol
    I do not count reps, I make every rep count !!

    175cm/75kg

  11. #36
    Regular Poster
    • Join Date
      May 2011
    • Posts
      362
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      louisiana
    • Reputation
      40,743,111
    • Rep Power
      407,441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabro View Post
    Conan you seems like the guy that would like to learn ''the art of fighting'' with a weird skinny asian in the hills lol

    Naaww not at all,that would be too sterotypical,sides i'd rather learn martial arts that has their origins in the West or at least a good part of their origins in the West.


    WAIT you sure you wheren't that guy learning ''the art of fighting'' with a weird skinny asian in the hills

  12. #37
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Sep 2012
    • Posts
      7
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Lose Weight
    • Gender
      Female
    • Location
      Baltimore
    • Reputation
      10
    • Rep Power
      0

    Default

    I'm from Baltimore and I think everyone needs a good self defense program. I was taking kickboxing lessons now I'm more into the martial arts self defense only.Tthe working out and sculpting my body is completely separate altogether.

  13. #38
    Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Aug 2008
    • Posts
      20,733
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Gender
      Female
    • Location
      Orkney Islands
    • Training Log
    • Reputation
      1,283,917,595
    • Rep Power
      12,839,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmy View Post
    Oh, here you are! I finally found the thread I need))) guys I need your advise!!! What can you recommend to a girl! I mean, I surprisingly found myself really into fighting stuff but haven't picked a style yet. Note: I don't live in a dangerous area - for me fighting is not just a way of selfprotection but kind of human-body-admiration thing. So what can you say?? Guys, pleazzz... A girl needs your help)))
    If you're not looking for one for the purpose of "use" then the world's your oyster, you have the option of selecting one you really feel drawn to. The one thing you need to ensure is that there is a good tutor available in your area. My sister and myself, at one point, wanted to do Aikido but the tutor was not up to it, he couldn't even defend against a 10y/o non-Aikido boy (non-martial artist at that), so we opted out of further pursuing that course; my sister went on to get 2 black belts in two different styles.
    1-Finger Deadlift, 1RM: 80.3lbs/36.5kg

  14. #39
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Oct 2013
    • Posts
      9
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Europe
    • Reputation
      1,066,995
    • Rep Power
      0

    Default

    A combination of muay thai and bjj would be great. Just don't go on the ground in the street, since if you do then you are as good as dead. Also krav maga was developed originally as a street fighting martial art.
    My Blog:
    http://howtogainweightnowfast.wordpress.com/

    Why I Train:
    http://howtogainweightnowfast.wordpress.com/2013/10/08/why-i-train/

  15. #40
    Regular Poster
    • Join Date
      May 2011
    • Posts
      362
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      louisiana
    • Reputation
      40,743,111
    • Rep Power
      407,441

    Default

    the reason I always sugest bartitsu if you can find a school teaching it is because:

    The art blends Shinden Fudo Ryu jiu jitsu and Kodokan judo combat techniques from the Tenjin Shinyō, Fusen and Daito schools of jujutsu as well as British boxing, Swiss schwingen, French savate and a defensive la canne (stick fighting) style that had been developed by Pierre Vigny of Switzerland.


    Where as muay thai and bjj are not only weaponless arts but are mainly sports,where as bartitsu is a art geared for self defence

  16. #41
    M&S Power User Nicksix's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jul 2009
    • Posts
      1,607
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      South Africa
    • Reputation
      17,494,711
    • Rep Power
      174,966

    Default

    Muay Thai, BJJ, wrestling.
    Don't waste your time with sh*t that doesn't work.
    Everything wrestling, BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing & MMA.
    Full time Super Saiyan.

  17. #42
    Regular Poster
    • Join Date
      May 2011
    • Posts
      362
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      louisiana
    • Reputation
      40,743,111
    • Rep Power
      407,441

    Default

    Go with Bartitsu if you can find a gym teaching it bartitsu if you can find a school teaching it is because:

    The art is very comprehensive ,sand self defence oriented and it blends Shinden Fudo Ryu jiu jitsu and Kodokan judo combat techniques from the Tenjin Shinyō, Fusen and Daito schools of jujutsu as well as British boxing, Swiss schwingen, French savate and a defensive la canne (stick fighting) style that had been developed by Pierre Vigny of Switzerland.


    Where as muay thai and bjj are not only weaponless arts but are mainly sports,where as bartitsu is a art geared for self defence

    if you want a system that has a comprehensive approach to the art of self defence then Bartitsu us the way to.

  18. #43
    M&S Power User Nicksix's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jul 2009
    • Posts
      1,607
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      South Africa
    • Reputation
      17,494,711
    • Rep Power
      174,966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Conan View Post
    Where as muay thai and bjj are not only weaponless arts but are mainly sports,where as bartitsu is a art geared for self defence

    if you want a system that has a comprehensive approach to the art of self defence then Bartitsu us the way to.
    Why do so many "traditional" martial arts lean back on this statement?
    I do believe that you can never know too much, but I think you need a solid base first before venturing off to martial arts which have little to no evidence of practicality.
    Everything wrestling, BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing & MMA.
    Full time Super Saiyan.

  19. #44
    Regular Poster
    • Join Date
      May 2011
    • Posts
      362
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      louisiana
    • Reputation
      40,743,111
    • Rep Power
      407,441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicksix View Post
    Why do so many "traditional" martial arts lean back on this statement?
    I do believe that you can never know too much, but I think you need a solid base first before venturing off to martial arts which have little to no evidence of practicality.
    Study up some on Bartitsu it's not a traditional art and it was meant to be practical

    http://www.bartitsu.org/index.php/20...-neo-bartitsu/
    Last edited by Conan; 03-28-2014 at 06:23 PM.

  20. #45
    M&S Power User Nicksix's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jul 2009
    • Posts
      1,607
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      South Africa
    • Reputation
      17,494,711
    • Rep Power
      174,966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Conan View Post
    Study up some on Bartitsu it's not a traditional art and it was meant to be practical

    http://www.bartitsu.org/index.php/20...-neo-bartitsu/
    Seems like a watered down version of a few practical martial arts.
    Personally, I'd learn each of them individually...but hey, everybody is different.
    Everything wrestling, BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing & MMA.
    Full time Super Saiyan.

  21. #46
    Regular Poster
    • Join Date
      May 2011
    • Posts
      362
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      louisiana
    • Reputation
      40,743,111
    • Rep Power
      407,441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicksix View Post
    Seems like a watered down version of a few practical martial arts.
    Personally, I'd learn each of them individually...but hey, everybody is different.
    it's far from a watered down martial art,and by saying that it shows you don't get Bartitsu.

    that Bartitsu placed greatest emphasis upon the Vigny cane fighting system at the striking range and upon jujutsu (and, secondarily, the "all-in" style of European wrestling) at the grappling range. Savate and boxing methods were used to segue between these two ranges, or as a means of first response should the defender not be armed with a walking stick. These sports were evidently also practiced so that Bartitsu students could learn how to defend against them through the use of jujutsu and Vigny stick fighting,etc etc.

  22. #47
    M&S Power User Nicksix's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jul 2009
    • Posts
      1,607
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      South Africa
    • Reputation
      17,494,711
    • Rep Power
      174,966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Conan View Post
    it's far from a watered down martial art,and by saying that it shows you don't get Bartitsu.

    that Bartitsu placed greatest emphasis upon the Vigny cane fighting system at the striking range and upon jujutsu (and, secondarily, the "all-in" style of European wrestling) at the grappling range. Savate and boxing methods were used to segue between these two ranges, or as a means of first response should the defender not be armed with a walking stick. These sports were evidently also practiced so that Bartitsu students could learn how to defend against them through the use of jujutsu and Vigny stick fighting,etc etc.
    if you come across a jiu jitsu fighter, you will get destroyed before you can get hold of a stick, or whatever. Therefore it is a watered down version of said art. This applies for all the other aspects of Bartitsu.
    Everything wrestling, BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing & MMA.
    Full time Super Saiyan.

  23. #48
    Regular Poster
    • Join Date
      May 2011
    • Posts
      362
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      louisiana
    • Reputation
      40,743,111
    • Rep Power
      407,441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicksix View Post
    if you come across a jiu jitsu fighter, you will get destroyed before you can get hold of a stick, or whatever. Therefore it is a watered down version of said art. This applies for all the other aspects of Bartitsu.
    And again an opinion not based in fact!

    The successful Bartitsuka must become a master of martial improvisation,able to shift or segue between fighting styles and techniques according to the needs of the moment.

    Meaning if you are walking down the street with no stick and a jiu jitsu fighter was to attack you ,you can use the rest of the system against said jiu jitsu fighter,plus if you do have a stick you can blend that with boxing,savate,judo,ju jitsu and European wrestling techniques.

    In Bartitsu you learn to use and defend against each art not only with that art but with each of the other arts and how to blend them together and segue between fighting styles and techniques according to the needs of the moment.
    ,so it's hardly watered down.

  24. #49
    M&S Power User Nicksix's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jul 2009
    • Posts
      1,607
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      South Africa
    • Reputation
      17,494,711
    • Rep Power
      174,966

    Default

    Do what you enjoy. But my personal opinion is one of little confidence in Bartitsu.
    Stay strong, fit and healthy bro
    Everything wrestling, BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing & MMA.
    Full time Super Saiyan.

  25. #50
    Regular Poster
    • Join Date
      May 2011
    • Posts
      362
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      louisiana
    • Reputation
      40,743,111
    • Rep Power
      407,441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicksix View Post
    Do what you enjoy. But my personal opinion is one of little confidence in Bartitsu.
    Stay strong, fit and healthy bro


    Lo I plan on it.

    what it thivk it is is that one it's a Victorian era at being revived,plus the name makes it sound rather exotic,when it's a rather practical art. I mena how many martial arts teach you to toss your hat in a persons face,or even to view every day items as a soup can as being as deadly as a cobble stone picked up off the path and used as a weapon?

    Too many arts want to concentrate on sport or really fancy type stuff and i'm not into sport nor looking like a glorified pajama dancer! No knocking gi's and such but it's just so many schools have turned into glorified martial dance classes these days all because the started turning the arts in to sports!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. martial workout
    By ade1971 in forum For Your Sport
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-27-2011, 12:42 PM
  2. Martial Arts
    By Wizz in forum Fat Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-15-2010, 04:04 PM
  3. My martial art
    By Maxmilian in forum Boxing/MMA Training
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 07-29-2008, 07:28 AM
  4. My martial art
    By Maxmilian in forum For Your Sport
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 07-29-2008, 07:28 AM
  5. The perfect martial art
    By Maxmilian in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-27-2008, 06:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •