MEMBER LOGIN

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Nicksix View Post
    Stronger men are harder to kill...unless you know BJJ

I agree with you about the OP joining a Muay Thai gym.
    Great for practicality, and fitness
    hahaha comes to my mind stefan struve at ufc146
    I do not count reps, I make every rep count !!

175cm/75kg

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Gabro View Post
    Of course can be justified. what about some guy trying to rob you, it will be a ''streetfight'' and its gonna be totally justified whatever I feel that I must do.
    A justified "Street Fight",if thats what you call it,will awlays be reffered to as self-defense.Because if you ever go to court,which you will if you get involved in an altercation,you damn well better use the term "Self-Defense."

I know of some lost cases where a totally justified case of self defense was lost because the prosecuter kept throwing out the word "Fight" and no one corrected him.A "Fight" is something people do for the hell of it,which is also known as ILLEGAL.A fight can be the same as boxing,or wrestling,whatever you wanna call it.

Self defense is just that,defending yourself or those around you from immenent physical harm and,in some states,property damage (stand your ground laws,way too much to cover here,and not neccessary to my point).

Sorry to drag this out,i know you mean well,but i have to correct you.Dont want you to ever get in trouble because the court system has a very twisted vocabulary.
    ANTI FAILURE

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I think he's talking about "justified" in a morality sense, not in a legal sense.

But yeah, don't ever say "I got into a fight" in court!

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
    A justified "Street Fight",if thats what you call it,will awlays be reffered to as self-defense.Because if you ever go to court,which you will if you get involved in an altercation,you damn well better use the term "Self-Defense."

I know of some lost cases where a totally justified case of self defense was lost because the prosecuter kept throwing out the word "Fight" and no one corrected him.A "Fight" is something people do for the hell of it,which is also known as ILLEGAL.A fight can be the same as boxing,or wrestling,whatever you wanna call it.

Self defense is just that,defending yourself or those around you from immenent physical harm and,in some states,property damage (stand your ground laws,way too much to cover here,and not neccessary to my point).

Sorry to drag this out,i know you mean well,but i have to correct you.Dont want you to ever get in trouble because the court system has a very twisted vocabulary.
    Thats for sure that the system has a twisted vocabluary.

the law should be written like it used to be at one point where even the average man can defend himself in a court,and have a chance of doing it successfully.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Stronger men are harder to kill...unless you know BJJ

I agree with you about the OP joining a Muay Thai gym.
    Great for practicality, and fitness
    You do know that BJJ is not really Ju jitsu don't you?

Mitsuyo Maeda was a Japanese judōka (judo expert) who was fundamental to the development of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, including through his teaching of Carlos Gracie and others of the Gracie family.

Brazilian Ju jitsu was derived from the Japanese martial art of Kodokan judo.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by AToE View Post
    I think he's talking about "justified" in a morality sense, not in a legal sense.

But yeah, don't ever say "I got into a fight" in court!

LOl that rteminds me of my best freind who said that,and even though he fought in self-defence he got 90 days in the lock up.

I told the smuck do not meantion ther word fight say self defence

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

But speaking of grappling,besides savate I also practice Bartitsu which as jujitsu in it,but I still use/study the old bareknuckle boxing style grappling as apart of it as well.
    A freind of mine asked me why.

i said for the following reasons:

1) in Classic Pugilism style grappling all of the grappling techniques have variations which do not require the use of fingers for grasping,which is a good think if you have a fractured hand and have no other choice but to try to throw someone.

I told him the following as well.

2)The old grapples from bareknuckle boxing are "high percentage".This generally means that a given technique is simple to preform and uncomplicated,making it easier to remeber and execute with a higher likelihood of successfully being performed under stress against an opponet doing his utmost to prevent you from performing the technique.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Conan View Post
    You do know that BJJ is not really Ju jitsu don't you?

Mitsuyo Maeda was a Japanese judōka (judo expert) who was fundamental to the development of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, including through his teaching of Carlos Gracie and others of the Gracie family.

Brazilian Ju jitsu was derived from the Japanese martial art of Kodokan judo.
    That, sir, is irrelevant
    Everything wrestling, BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing & MMA.
    Full time Super Saiyan.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

That, sir, is irrelevant

Maybe but I just felt like tossing the history of the arts origins out there

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Conan you seems like the guy that would like to learn ''the art of fighting'' with a weird skinny asian in the hills lol
    I do not count reps, I make every rep count !!

175cm/75kg

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Gabro View Post
    Conan you seems like the guy that would like to learn ''the art of fighting'' with a weird skinny asian in the hills lol

Naaww not at all,that would be too sterotypical,sides i'd rather learn martial arts that has their origins in the West or at least a good part of their origins in the West.

WAIT you sure you wheren't that guy learning ''the art of fighting'' with a weird skinny asian in the hills

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

I'm from Baltimore and I think everyone needs a good self defense program. I was taking kickboxing lessons now I'm more into the martial arts self defense only.Tthe working out and sculpting my body is completely separate altogether.

Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmy View Post
    Oh, here you are! I finally found the thread I need))) guys I need your advise!!! What can you recommend to a girl! I mean, I surprisingly found myself really into fighting stuff but haven't picked a style yet. Note: I don't live in a dangerous area - for me fighting is not just a way of selfprotection but kind of human-body-admiration thing. So what can you say?? Guys, pleazzz... A girl needs your help)))
    If you're not looking for one for the purpose of "use" then the world's your oyster, you have the option of selecting one you really feel drawn to. The one thing you need to ensure is that there is a good tutor available in your area. My sister and myself, at one point, wanted to do Aikido but the tutor was not up to it, he couldn't even defend against a 10y/o non-Aikido boy (non-martial artist at that), so we opted out of further pursuing that course; my sister went on to get 2 black belts in two different styles.
    1-Finger Deadlift, 1RM: 80.3lbs/36.5kg

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

A combination of muay thai and bjj would be great. Just don't go on the ground in the street, since if you do then you are as good as dead. Also krav maga was developed originally as a street fighting martial art.
    My Blog:
    http://howtogainweightnowfast.wordpress.com/

Why I Train:
    http://howtogainweightnowfast.wordpress.com/2013/10/08/why-i-train/

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

the reason I always sugest bartitsu if you can find a school teaching it is because:

The art blends Shinden Fudo Ryu jiu jitsu and Kodokan judo combat techniques from the Tenjin Shinyō, Fusen and Daito schools of jujutsu as well as British boxing, Swiss schwingen, French savate and a defensive la canne (stick fighting) style that had been developed by Pierre Vigny of Switzerland.

Where as muay thai and bjj are not only weaponless arts but are mainly sports,where as bartitsu is a art geared for self defence

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Muay Thai, BJJ, wrestling.
    Don't waste your time with sh*t that doesn't work.
    Full time Super Saiyan.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Go with Bartitsu if you can find a gym teaching it bartitsu if you can find a school teaching it is because:

The art is very comprehensive ,sand self defence oriented and it blends Shinden Fudo Ryu jiu jitsu and Kodokan judo combat techniques from the Tenjin Shinyō, Fusen and Daito schools of jujutsu as well as British boxing, Swiss schwingen, French savate and a defensive la canne (stick fighting) style that had been developed by Pierre Vigny of Switzerland.

Where as muay thai and bjj are not only weaponless arts but are mainly sports,where as bartitsu is a art geared for self defence

if you want a system that has a comprehensive approach to the art of self defence then Bartitsu us the way to.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

if you want a system that has a comprehensive approach to the art of self defence then Bartitsu us the way to.
    Why do so many "traditional" martial arts lean back on this statement?
    I do believe that you can never know too much, but I think you need a solid base first before venturing off to martial arts which have little to no evidence of practicality.
    Full time Super Saiyan.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Why do so many "traditional" martial arts lean back on this statement?
    I do believe that you can never know too much, but I think you need a solid base first before venturing off to martial arts which have little to no evidence of practicality.
    Study up some on Bartitsu it's not a traditional art and it was meant to be practical

http://www.bartitsu.org/index.php/20...-neo-bartitsu/
    Last edited by Conan; 03-28-2014 at 06:23 PM.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Study up some on Bartitsu it's not a traditional art and it was meant to be practical

http://www.bartitsu.org/index.php/20...-neo-bartitsu/
    Seems like a watered down version of a few practical martial arts.
    Personally, I'd learn each of them individually...but hey, everybody is different.
    Full time Super Saiyan.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Seems like a watered down version of a few practical martial arts.
    Personally, I'd learn each of them individually...but hey, everybody is different.
    it's far from a watered down martial art,and by saying that it shows you don't get Bartitsu.

that Bartitsu placed greatest emphasis upon the Vigny cane fighting system at the striking range and upon jujutsu (and, secondarily, the "all-in" style of European wrestling) at the grappling range. Savate and boxing methods were used to segue between these two ranges, or as a means of first response should the defender not be armed with a walking stick. These sports were evidently also practiced so that Bartitsu students could learn how to defend against them through the use of jujutsu and Vigny stick fighting,etc etc.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

it's far from a watered down martial art,and by saying that it shows you don't get Bartitsu.

that Bartitsu placed greatest emphasis upon the Vigny cane fighting system at the striking range and upon jujutsu (and, secondarily, the "all-in" style of European wrestling) at the grappling range. Savate and boxing methods were used to segue between these two ranges, or as a means of first response should the defender not be armed with a walking stick. These sports were evidently also practiced so that Bartitsu students could learn how to defend against them through the use of jujutsu and Vigny stick fighting,etc etc.
    if you come across a jiu jitsu fighter, you will get destroyed before you can get hold of a stick, or whatever. Therefore it is a watered down version of said art. This applies for all the other aspects of Bartitsu.
    Full time Super Saiyan.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

if you come across a jiu jitsu fighter, you will get destroyed before you can get hold of a stick, or whatever. Therefore it is a watered down version of said art. This applies for all the other aspects of Bartitsu.
    And again an opinion not based in fact!

The successful Bartitsuka must become a master of martial improvisation,able to shift or segue between fighting styles and techniques according to the needs of the moment.

Meaning if you are walking down the street with no stick and a jiu jitsu fighter was to attack you ,you can use the rest of the system against said jiu jitsu fighter,plus if you do have a stick you can blend that with boxing,savate,judo,ju jitsu and European wrestling techniques.

In Bartitsu you learn to use and defend against each art not only with that art but with each of the other arts and how to blend them together and segue between fighting styles and techniques according to the needs of the moment.
    ,so it's hardly watered down.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Do what you enjoy. But my personal opinion is one of little confidence in Bartitsu.
    Stay strong, fit and healthy bro
    Full time Super Saiyan.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Do what you enjoy. But my personal opinion is one of little confidence in Bartitsu.
    Stay strong, fit and healthy bro

Lo I plan on it.

what it thivk it is is that one it's a Victorian era at being revived,plus the name makes it sound rather exotic,when it's a rather practical art. I mena how many martial arts teach you to toss your hat in a persons face,or even to view every day items as a soup can as being as deadly as a cobble stone picked up off the path and used as a weapon?

Too many arts want to concentrate on sport or really fancy type stuff and i'm not into sport nor looking like a glorified pajama dancer! No knocking gi's and such but it's just so many schools have turned into glorified martial dance classes these days all because the started turning the arts in to sports!