MEMBER LOGIN

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Streetfighting/Martial art choosing

I know everyone here is against street fighting with the use of martial arts and it's a bad idea to get into arts just for this reason, but I live in a terrible area. I won't preach about how things are but I am wondering what the best martial art (Muay thai or boxing - the only schools around my area) would be to defend myself if I was jumped or put into a fight. I have a solid build and can bench my bodyweight easily. I am 6 ft 1 and have a solid body. I will answer any other questions. Thanks, Ryan

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Strength means very little in a fight. Nobody says "I would've won that fight if I could've bench pressed 10more kgs." join a MMA gym.
    If you can only learn 1 striking discipline then learn Muay Thai.
    I suggest you learn wrestling and BJJ as well. 1 on 1 combat it is far superior than anything else
    Everything wrestling, BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing & MMA.
    Full time Super Saiyan.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Street fights tend to not be fair, usually if you are not the aggressor they'll be more than one guy to fight.

Both boxing and muay thai/kickboxing are high effective in the street, so id recommend that coupled with sprint training to run away :P

Personally I believe grappling (Wrestling, BJJ) to be the most effective against a single opponent, but are borderline useless against a group.
    **30 day no fap challenge** Join me brothers!

muscleandstrength.com/forum/general-chat/68685-does-no-fap-work.html

I train to be an athlete not a bodybuilder

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

100m sprints are the best form of training for a street fight! Maybe throw in a couple rugby hand off drills incase there are attackers blocking your path!
    Full time Super Saiyan.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

If you can train both the Thai and the boxing I've notice when I used to kickbox the guys who had also done boxing were far better off due to a lot better handwork than the average kickboxer

M&S Senior Member
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Train one standing fight style (muy thai is amazing) and one ground fighting style (BJJ). You'll be more well-rounded as a fighter, regardless of your opponent.

For more quick encounters, I've been taking Krav Maga for a few years. It's amazing and generally designed for when you're NOT ready for your attacker. Mostly designed for self-defense and reactive fighting, it's, hands down, the best and most effective self-defense method of training I've ever seen.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by lifterdude View Post
    I know everyone here is against street fighting with the use of martial arts and it's a bad idea to get into arts just for this reason, but I live in a terrible area. I won't preach about how things are but I am wondering what the best martial art (Muay thai or boxing - the only schools around my area) would be to defend myself if I was jumped or put into a fight. I have a solid build and can bench my bodyweight easily. I am 6 ft 1 and have a solid body. I will answer any other questions. Thanks, Ryan

i'd like to say something about this :

"I know everyone here is against street fighting with the use of martial arts"

Hornswaggle ........

the french martial art of Savate originated as a street fighting method.

the Victorian Era martial art of Bartitsu(which is being reconstructed and revived) was developed to deal with thugs( or ruffians as they used to call them in Britian back then) on the street or where ever you where at when attacked.

Theres nothing wrong with learning it for what you are learning it for as long as you don''t start looking for fights or become a bully.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Nicksix View Post
    Strength means very little in a fight. Nobody says "I would've won that fight if I could've bench pressed 10more kgs." join a MMA gym.
    If you can only learn 1 striking discipline then learn Muay Thai.
    I suggest you learn wrestling and BJJ as well. 1 on 1 combat it is far superior than anything else
    I wouldn't say wrestling and BJJ is far superior than anything else for 1 on 1 combat .

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Oh, here you are! I finally found the thread I need))) guys I need your advise!!! What can you recommend to a girl! I mean, I surprisingly found myself really into fighting stuff but haven't picked a style yet. Note: I don't live in a dangerous area - for me fighting is not just a way of selfprotection but kind of human-body-admiration thing. So what can you say?? Guys, pleazzz... A girl needs your help)))

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Conan View Post
    I wouldn't say wrestling and BJJ is far superior than anything else for 1 on 1 combat .
    Dude... Of course it is.
    Kung fu and MOST "traditional" martial arts are also irrelevant.
    Full time Super Saiyan.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Bahaha that's the worst bull I've every heard only reason exerts on a hight about wrestling bbj Thai and kickboxing is that there the main styles used in UFC and mma because there all hooked up on striking and locks with in them rules a lot of other stuff haven't been built around rules do a lot of effective moves would be illeagle in UFC but certainly more effective

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Quote Originally Posted by benmc View Post
    Bahaha that's the worst bull I've every heard only reason exerts on a hight about wrestling bbj Thai and kickboxing is that there the main styles used in UFC and mma because there all hooked up on striking and locks with in them rules a lot of other stuff haven't been built around rules do a lot of effective moves would be illeagle in UFC but certainly more effective
    I bet you train Wing Chun?
    Full time Super Saiyan.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Training Log

Just my .02

I have seen a few fights,not many,but i have seen a lightweight boxer defend himself against 3 attackers.

I have also seen a teenager who is a very accomplished wrestler get knocked to the ground and stomped on by an average redneck.All ribs broken.

When it comes to street fighting,for your choices their really is no huge difference at the heart of it.I dont have any good martial arts schools around,nor would i care to attend.I have Krav Maga videos and alot of friends to practice with.I have given an Army Ranger friend a run for his money.
    ANTI FAILURE

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Dude... Of course it is.
    Kung fu and MOST "traditional" martial arts are also irrelevant.
    Did you "NOT" learn to respect other martial arts when you started training??

The danger with any grappling art is that once you go to the ground you run the risk of others stomping you through the pavement.

the problem with BJJ/MMA as it is taught in most BJJ/MMA gyms in America is that it is totally "SPORT ORIENTED",in it's training methodology which means the people are learning sport reflexs and skills,not street fighting/self defence oriented reflexs and skills.

I am not in these Demos but it's an example of what I am into:

Bartitsu demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELCBDtl-y4w

Bartitsu: The (Almost) Lost Martial Art of Sherlock Holmes: Part One

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhRJ4...eature=related

Bartitsu Basics - Canne Vigny 1.wmv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyGva...eature=related

Bartitsu Basics - Pugilism 1.wmv
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgDWruigs-g

Bartitsu Intro
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jja0-5nkucc
    Last edited by Conan; 05-27-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I bet you train Wing Chun?

While I don't study wing chun,if you train HARD and train under a good wing chun Sifu you do stand a better then average chance of surving a street fight,but again even wing chun has it's weaknesses.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmy View Post
    Oh, here you are! I finally found the thread I need))) guys I need your advise!!! What can you recommend to a girl! I mean, I surprisingly found myself really into fighting stuff but haven't picked a style yet. Note: I don't live in a dangerous area - for me fighting is not just a way of selfprotection but kind of human-body-admiration thing. So what can you say?? Guys, pleazzz... A girl needs your help)))

I recomend this site on Bartitsu:

http://www.bartitsu.org/

plus I suggest going to Lulu.com

and ordering the following books:

these first two books have everything known on Bartitsu in them

The Bartitsu Compendium, Volume 1: History and the Canonical Syllabus

The Bartitsu Compendium, Volume II: Antagonistics

and i'd suggest going here and at least ordering the first 2 Savate videos:

their $14.99 each and will cover conditioning,stretching and fundamentals of savate and will help with the Bartitsu.

http://www.centurymartialarts.com/Pa...es_Titles.aspx
    Volume 1: Stretching and Conditioning Approx. 41 min. #VATEDV-001
    Vol. 2: Fundamentals Approx. 60 min. #VATEDV-002

Also if you want to expand on your warmpus then i suggest checking this book out
    for it's exercise without weights:

The Way to Live

http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competit...bum/index.html

Bartitsu drawn from the Shinden Fudo Ryu jujutsu and from Kodokan judo and incorporates combat techniques from the Tenjin Shinyō, Fusen and Daito schools of jujutsu as well as British boxing, Swiss schwingen, French savate and a defensive la canne (stick fighting) style that had been developed by Pierre Vigny of Switzerland.

In 1899, Barton-Wright summarised the essential principles of Bartitsu as:

1)To disturb the equilibrium of your assailant.

2)To surprise him before he has time to regain his balance and use his strength.

3)If necessary, to subject the joints of any parts of his body, whether neck, shoulder, elbow, wrist, back, knee, ankle, etc. to strains that they are anatomically and mechanically unable to resist.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Training Log

Conan:

Bartitsu demo

Just from my viewpoint,this video illustrates how very good arts dont become great.The one being attacked takes on one or two at a time,and the others just stand around.

Ever been in the middle of a riot? Ever even seen one? Everyone comes rushing up at once.If your walking back to your car in the parking garage and a group attacks you,most of the time they dont care about letting one show off his skills.They're gonna all jump you.

In Krav Maga,we train with dogpiles and 10-20 people all coming and,and your objective is to force your way through them.

I couldnt find a specific example of what im talking about,but just watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjmBPFPTq-g

Roy is also an expert JiuJitsu,but this goes to show what combat-based training methods will do.But we all know that videos never tell the whole story.No matter what martial art we train with,the goal is to become proficient,and it starts with awareness.Confidence comes frome experience,there is no "best" martial art.Only smart practitioners.
    ANTI FAILURE

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Oh god...
    Full time Super Saiyan.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
    Conan:

Bartitsu demo

Just from my viewpoint,this video illustrates how very good arts dont become great.The one being attacked takes on one or two at a time,and the others just stand around.

Ever been in the middle of a riot? Ever even seen one? Everyone comes rushing up at once.If your walking back to your car in the parking garage and a group attacks you,most of the time they dont care about letting one show off his skills.They're gonna all jump you.

In Krav Maga,we train with dogpiles and 10-20 people all coming and,and your objective is to force your way through them.

I couldnt find a specific example of what im talking about,but just watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjmBPFPTq-g

Roy is also an expert JiuJitsu,but this goes to show what combat-based training methods will do.But we all know that videos never tell the whole story.No matter what martial art we train with,the goal is to become proficient,and it starts with awareness.Confidence comes frome experience,there is no "best" martial art.Only smart practitioners.
    Well i couldn't find a better demo,and yeh I can say mysefl I am not 100% happy with that demo after watching it.I train with more realism then that(i.E multi attackers rushing not one or two, though I think starting with 2 attackers in training is a good start but you should amp it upo until you have more then that rushing you))

And yes i have had my fair share of multiple attackers..not fun not fun at all.

But as to training methods I prefer the etudes and set to methods from the late 18th early 19th century in European Martial arts as found in Bartitsu,to the Katas of Asian Martial arts.

yes they are similar but, with western set to's and etudes when it comes to training it goes like that B(defender), A(attacker)

A does x,b does y and when they get to the point they have learned the Etude/set to well,then it does to the following:

A does w,b does x,and a does y( or simply resists the move b did to defeat b's move x then when they are good with that they move it up to this stage:

a does w,be does x,a does y( or resists the move instead),and b does z to over come a move y (or a atempt to resist if b is straing say a jui jitsu move)

where as most puely asian arts I have seen that use katas when they do break the kata down into a 2 man set so that the person learning it can learn what the moves are for do it this way:

A makes move x,and b defends with move x and possible z.

Theres usually no counters or resistance from the attacker in anyway to the defenders moves.

In Bartitsu Etudes and set to's are a part of the art but they are always done in a two person manner ( and they are not given more empahsis then practical training),unlike asian Katas what seem to be done mainly in a one person manner.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Training Log

Well i couldn't find a better demo,and yeh I can say mysefl I am not 100% happy with that demo after watching it.I train with more realism then that(i.E multi attackers rushing not one or two, though I think starting with 2 attackers in training is a good start but you should amp it upo until you have more then that rushing you))

And yes i have had my fair share of multiple attackers..not fun not fun at all.

But as to training methods I prefer the etudes and set to methods from the late 18th early 19th century in European Martial arts as found in Bartitsu,to the Katas of Asian Martial arts.

yes they are similar but, with western set to's and etudes when it comes to training it goes like that B(defender), A(attacker)

A does x,b does y and when they get to the point they have learned the Etude/set to well,then it does to the following:

A does w,b does x,and a does y( or simply resists the move b did to defeat b's move x then when they are good with that they move it up to this stage:

a does w,be does x,a does y( or resists the move instead),and b does z to over come a move y (or a atempt to resist if b is straing say a jui jitsu move)

where as most puely asian arts I have seen that use katas when they do break the kata down into a 2 man set so that the person learning it can learn what the moves are for do it this way:

A makes move x,and b defends with move x and possible z.

Theres usually no counters or resistance from the attacker in anyway to the defenders moves.

In Bartitsu Etudes and set to's are a part of the art but they are always done in a two person manner ( and they are not given more empahsis then practical training),unlike asian Katas what seem to be done mainly in a one person manner.
    Yes,very good,although i admit im not 100% following your a x b z description.I know what your getting across,but my mind doesnt comprehend that much material.

What im gathering,in a simpler language: Starting with one-on-one,the defender learns to react to certain attack patterns.Basic,reliable,gross motor skills.Then after becoming proficient and utilizing those against one attacker,two against one is utilized,and so on.

In that video,two aggressors may be all the demonstrator could handle.It was a good video,nonetheless.I should have said all this in my original post.

But you dont just start learning to fight 2 people,you start with one on one training,getting basic skill sets down,but no set reactions.We always have room to personalize the reactions to our needs,and use one streamlined defense against the same basic attack,even though it may come from a different line of movement.

Im going off track.Anyway,good stuff.The old arts do have that nostalgia to them.
    ANTI FAILURE

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

lulz, wut is going on here?

OP join muay thai, its superior than boxing everywhere: ring or street.

And like others said, thats dont garrentee you nothing, personally I just ''been around'' in some academys (1 month in one, 3 months in another, etc) and I can fight in the streets without major isues (even if i'm a totally calm person). its totally different for the guys that have been learning all the time in the academy and never fighting for real. There are some things that you need to learn fighting and maybe you will have it or not.
    I do not count reps, I make every rep count !!

175cm/75kg

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Yes,very good,although i admit im not 100% following your a x b z description.I know what your getting across,but my mind doesnt comprehend that much material.

What im gathering,in a simpler language: Starting with one-on-one,the defender learns to react to certain attack patterns.Basic,reliable,gross motor skills.Then after becoming proficient and utilizing those against one attacker,two against one is utilized,and so on.

In that video,two aggressors may be all the demonstrator could handle.It was a good video,nonetheless.I should have said all this in my original post.

But you dont just start learning to fight 2 people,you start with one on one training,getting basic skill sets down,but no set reactions.We always have room to personalize the reactions to our needs,and use one streamlined defense against the same basic attack,even though it may come from a different line of movement.

Im going off track.Anyway,good stuff.The old arts do have that nostalgia to them.

Well and the old style stance does through your attacker off,seeing as most people are more used to seeing people either take some sort fo mishmash version of a modern boxing stance are go into asian style stances .

For example the old style Pugilism stance used in Bartitsu.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Gabro View Post
    lulz, wut is going on here?

OP join muay thai, its superior than boxing everywhere: ring or street.

And like others said, thats dont garrentee you nothing, personally I just ''been around'' in some academys (1 month in one, 3 months in another, etc) and I can fight in the streets without major isues (even if i'm a totally calm person). its totally different for the guys that have been learning all the time in the academy and never fighting for real. There are some things that you need to learn fighting and maybe you will have it or not.
    Your getting a little carried away.Streetfighting is totally different than self-defense.

Street fighting is never justified.Learning self-defense is vital in todays world.

Well and the old style stance does through your attacker off,seeing as most people are more used to seeing people either take some sort fo mishmash version of a modern boxing stance are go into asian style stances .

For example the old style Pugilism stance used in Bartitsu.
    That is a very good example.

On a related note,when training military knife work,the stance is:

Knife hand forward,weight on rear foot,ready for offensive.A right hander would have wieght on left foot.

But for defensive knife stance,such as one would use when cornered,the knife is held close to the body in a blade-forward,reverse grip fashion,the empty hand in front,weight on the front leg [left], body hunched over,head down.

This throws alot of people off the first time they train with us (i am in a private school).The defensive stance described is confident against a "psycho stab" (blade facing yourself,held downward,overhead stab).

I wish i could find suitable pictures,or videos.Its hard enough to explain this to someone on a screen.
    ANTI FAILURE

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Your getting a little carried away.Streetfighting is totally different than self-defense.

Street fighting is never justified.Learning self-defense is vital in todays world.
    Of course can be justified. what about some guy trying to rob you, it will be a ''streetfight'' and its gonna be totally justified whatever I feel that I must do.

Like other said, you dont need necessary to lift more of weights than your oponent, but one smart man said ''stronger men are harder to be killed...''
    I do not count reps, I make every rep count !!

175cm/75kg

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Gabro View Post
    Of course can be justified. what about some guy trying to rob you, it will be a ''streetfight'' and its gonna be totally justified whatever I feel that I must do.

Like other said, you dont need necessary to lift more of weights than your oponent, but one smart man said ''stronger men are harder to be killed...''
    Stronger men are harder to kill...unless you know BJJ

I agree with you about the OP joining a Muay Thai gym.
    Great for practicality, and fitness
    Full time Super Saiyan.