MEMBER LOGIN

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Bartitsu,the art blends Shinden Fudo Ryu jiu jitsu and Kodokan judo ,combat techniques from the Tenjin Shinyō, Fusen and Daito schools of jujutsu as well as British boxing, Swiss schwingen, French savate and a defensive la canne (stick fighting) style that had been developed by Pierre Vigny of Switzerland.

Where as muay thai and bjj are not only weaponless arts but are mainly sports,where as bartitsu is a art geared for self defence

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

Go for MMA but if you had to choose one it it'd be muay thai. Your height would be great for kicks and knees

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by danielgc View Post
    Go for MMA but if you had to choose one it it'd be muay thai. Your height would be great for kicks and knees

MMA is a sport,if you are learning something for self defence you need something geared to the street for unarmed and armed self defence.

I wish people would get off sport MMa THINKING ITS THE END ALL BE ALL OF SYSTEMS.

iT'S A SPORT and no matter how good you get with it because it's a sport you will develop SPORT FIGHTING REACTIONS NOT STREET SELF DEFENCE FIGHTING REACTIONS,and that can get you hurt or worse!

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Conan View Post
    MMA is a sport,if you are learning something for self defence you need something geared to the street for unarmed and armed self defence.

I wish people would get off sport MMa THINKING ITS THE END ALL BE ALL OF SYSTEMS.

iT'S A SPORT and no matter how good you get with it because it's a sport you will develop SPORT FIGHTING REACTIONS NOT STREET SELF DEFENCE FIGHTING REACTIONS,and that can get you hurt or worse!
    Real talk... "traditional" martial arts are a load of sh.it that give people a false sense of security. When they run into the wrong dude who can box and roll....only then do they realise how wrong they are.
    Everything wrestling, BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing & MMA.
    Full time Super Saiyan.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Nicksix View Post
    Real talk... "traditional" martial arts are a load of sh.it that give people a false sense of security. When they run into the wrong dude who can box and roll....only then do they realise how wrong they are.
    WORD TRUTH HERE>>>I'm not talking traditional martial arts,as they Have been watered down in the west.

If the OP wants a strictly self defence oriented MMA then he'd be better off if he could find a Bartitsu school,because it's more comprehensive in what it teaches compared to MMA and BJJ!

It blends Shinden Fudo Ryu jiu jitsu and Kodokan judo ,combat techniques from the Tenjin Shinyō, Fusen and Daito schools of jujutsu as well as British boxing, Swiss schwingen, French savate and a defensive la canne (stick fighting) style that had been developed by Pierre Vigny of Switzerland.

Also i'd like to point out:

There are a group of so-called “experts” (self-proclaimed experts I might add) in the world of martial arts/self-defense who constantly opine that being a warrior is nothing more than being paid to engage in war. This is such an ignorant point of view that one would think no one would take them seriously, but in fact, they have quite a large following. These “experts” publish books which proclaim their “expertise” in everything to do with violence and “real” self-defense. They slam traditional martial arts as outdated and useless on the streets. They mock the fact that honor, character and integrity play a major part in being a true warrior, and instead, insist that being a warrior is nothing more than taking orders on the battlefield.

http://thewisdomwarrior.com/2012/01/...-true-warrior/
    Last edited by Conan; 03-17-2014 at 10:04 PM.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

WORD TRUTH HERE>>>I'm not talking traditional martial arts,as they Have been watered down in the west.

If the OP wants a strictly self defence oriented MMA then he'd be better off if he could find a Bartitsu school,because it's more comprehensive in what it teaches compared to MMA and BJJ!

It blends Shinden Fudo Ryu jiu jitsu and Kodokan judo ,combat techniques from the Tenjin Shinyō, Fusen and Daito schools of jujutsu as well as British boxing, Swiss schwingen, French savate and a defensive la canne (stick fighting) style that had been developed by Pierre Vigny of Switzerland.

Also i'd like to point out:

There are a group of so-called “experts” (self-proclaimed experts I might add) in the world of martial arts/self-defense who constantly opine that being a warrior is nothing more than being paid to engage in war. This is such an ignorant point of view that one would think no one would take them seriously, but in fact, they have quite a large following. These “experts” publish books which proclaim their “expertise” in everything to do with violence and “real” self-defense. They slam traditional martial arts as outdated and useless on the streets. They mock the fact that honor, character and integrity play a major part in being a true warrior, and instead, insist that being a warrior is nothing more than taking orders on the battlefield.

http://thewisdomwarrior.com/2012/01/...-true-warrior/
    I agree with your opening statement... however, taking all these fancy, oriental named martial arts will not be as effective as BJJ, Wrestling, Muay Thai and boxing.
    Full time Super Saiyan.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I agree with your opening statement... however, taking all these fancy, oriental named martial arts will not be as effective as BJJ, Wrestling, Muay Thai and boxing.

the problem is that when most of the Asian arts got to the west they eventually got watered down, find some guy trained it one the way they train it over there for self defence and you have someone can can hold their own lot better then if he trained in the watered for forms of it here in the west.

the problem I have with MMA and BJJ is it's more of a sport and theres no defence against weapons with or without weapons

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

the problem is that when most of the Asian arts got to the west they eventually got watered down, find some guy trained it one the way they train it over there for self defence and you have someone can can hold their own lot better then if he trained in the watered for forms of it here in the west.

the problem I have with MMA and BJJ is it's more of a sport and theres no defence against weapons with or without weapons
    I guess, if you enjoy doing something, then that's great and you should continue...any physical activity is good...even cross-fit
    Full time Super Saiyan.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I guess, if you enjoy doing something, then that's great and you should continue...any physical activity is good...even cross-fit
    you've got more of a chance of getting hurt while training in a crossfit gym then while in a Shotokan dojo training though...lol

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

you've got more of a chance of getting hurt while training in a crossfit gym then while in a Shotokan dojo training though...lol
    I agree... in 'Murica
    Full time Super Saiyan.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Well it appears a friend of mine that I ****ed off on accident got mad and put the dim mak on me this morning using Hung gar kung fu when we got into it. Funny thing is I'm still hopping round.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

lol nice
    Full time Super Saiyan.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

lol nice
    I think his Dim mak is working I stubbed my toe saturday while out hiking in a local park lol

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by gpu1987 View Post
    I loved the three years I had in wrestling. If you can eat just one punch on the way to a double-leg or be swift enough to move out of the way to avoid that nonsense, there's no bar fight you will lose. Throwing someone hard against the ground is a very valuable thing to learn.
    Yup. I trained for a long time in Judo. Any time someone wanted to start sht I knew all I had to do was take one punch, hopefully, and get them to the ground. That was a while ago though, and now too many people are cross-training. I may end up taking the wrong guy down to the ground.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Pick one of the major diciplines mentioned above. Then try out the minor ones if you find that the training suits you

Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by RyanBroo View Post
    I am 6'1 moderate build weighing in at 185. I bench my bodyweight easily and squat apprx 1.5 my weight. Would I be a better boxer or Muay thai student? Thanks.
    If you're still around, which one did you go with in the end?

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Bruce lee warns in the Tao of Jeet Kune Do for those into Modern arts not to get caught up in what could be the modern mess and reject traditional arts.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Bruce lee warns in the Tao of Jeet Kune Do for those into Modern arts not to get caught up in what could be the modern mess and reject traditional arts.
    And Galileo was tortured for when he stated that the earth rotates around the sun.

Evolve with modern practical studies, and discard that which is not useful
    Last edited by Nicksix; 01-27-2015 at 04:12 AM.
    Full time Super Saiyan.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Other

I started with traditional, Hung Kuen, and it is one heck of a system. Issues with traditional do lay with the teacher. Many can't fight with, and it seems focus on the modern Wushu of it. I was lucky to find the Sifu I did. Good TCMA sifus are hard to find.

Currently study JKD from both the Jesse Glover and Ted Wong lineage. During the Seattle Era of Bruce he had not yet pushed away a lot of the TCMA and used a ton of sticking hands. By the time of Ted Wong he changed a lot but still had some obvious WC positioning. He became very fascinated with fencing and early American boxing. Take that for what it's worth. I have found fencing helps a bit as long as you remember that in life you aren't moving like that

That being said, the best martial art is what fits you and your body mechanics. Experiment and see what you find fits your personality and body type.
    Last edited by OmegaWolf; 02-04-2015 at 01:08 AM.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaWolf View Post
    I started with traditional, Hung Kuen, and it is one heck of a system. Issues with traditional do lay with the teacher. Many can't fight with, and it seems focus on the modern Wushu of it. I was lucky to find the Sifu I did. Good TCMA sifus are hard to find.

Currently study JKD from both the Jesse Glover and Ted Wong lineage. During the Seattle Era of Bruce he had not yet pushed away a lot of the TCMA and used a ton of sticking hands. By the time of Ted Wong he changed a lot but still had some obvious WC positioning. He became very fascinated with fencing and early American boxing. Take that for what it's worth. I have found fencing helps a bit as long as you remember that in life you aren't moving like that

That being said, the best martial art is what fits you and your body mechanics. Experiment and see what you find fits your personality and body type.
    Well you can't do like they did back in the day what in Karate circles was called Dojo bust where you walk up in another person's school and challenge teacher to a fight..now adays you'd end up in jail.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
      Somewhere between the wrong side of Heaven and the righteous side of Hell.

Krav
    There is no tomorrow! THERE IS NO TOMORROW! THERE IS NO TOMORROW! - Apollo Creed

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit

Looking forward to the next PPV.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by russellb View Post
    Muay Thai, and many other disciplines, are far more practical than boxing. We have similar builds and I'm about where you are with my weights.

I have nothing against boxing, and have done a little boxing training, but truly believe that most good martial arts programs are superior to boxing in terms of (1) whole body training and (2) real life practicality.

Of course you can always work Xender Discord Omeglecertain boxing techniques into you MA training.

Final thought: if you want to compete in either sport, it really boils down to what you enjoy the most. I prefer getting my rear end kicked by 3 long time black belts at the same time over one light heavyweight or cruiserweight boxer lol.
    Its a french art of fighting with the fist and feet and not only will yoyu get punching and kicking power but you'll get grace and speed with it far better then you will with Muay Thai.
    Last edited by PORTIYATSIA; 03-17-2019 at 04:09 PM.