MEMBER LOGIN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

Default Martial art for me

I am 6'1 moderate build weighing in at 185. I bench my bodyweight easily and squat apprx 1.5 my weight. Would I be a better boxer or Muay thai student? Thanks.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by RyanBroo View Post
    I am 6'1 moderate build weighing in at 185. I bench my bodyweight easily and squat apprx 1.5 my weight. Would I be a better boxer or Muay thai student? Thanks.
    only you can find out,but personally I'd say hang the muay thai,and learn Savate.
    Its a french art of fighting with the fist and feet and not only will yoyu get punching and kicking power but you'll get grace and speed with it far better then you will with Muay Thai.
    Last edited by Conan; 05-06-2012 at 10:30 PM.

Banned
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I've been looking into Hapkido. May be something for you to look into.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

If you want to learn how to fight stick with Muay Thai over the 2 stated above. Martial art preference is also more about limb length, speed etc over any sort of size strength.

I train/have trained quite a range of styles but my favourites by far are boxing, BJJ and wrestling (If you want to just strike, id choose Muay Thai or Kickboxing over boxing). They are all varied and actually work on the street rather than various other traditional martial arts like TKD etc.
    **30 day no fap challenge** Join me brothers!

muscleandstrength.com/forum/general-chat/68685-does-no-fap-work.html

I train to be an athlete not a bodybuilder

Coming Up The Ranks

Muay Thai, and many other disciplines, are far more practical than boxing. We have similar builds and I'm about where you are with my weights.

I have nothing against boxing, and have done a little boxing training, but truly believe that most good martial arts programs are superior to boxing in terms of (1) whole body training and (2) real life practicality.

Of course you can always work certain boxing techniques into you MA training.

Final thought: if you want to compete in either sport, it really boils down to what you enjoy the most. I prefer getting my rear end kicked by 3 long time black belts at the same time over one light heavyweight or cruiserweight boxer lol.

M&S Senior Member
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I've been learning Krav Maga for the last 3 years. I've found nothing like it before:

http://www.kravmaga.com/

Israeli Special Forces Training in America.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Join a MMA gym?
    If you want to just learn striking then do Muay Thai.
    If you want to learn ground fighting then do BJJ and wrestling.
    Most "traditional" martial arts are sh.it and make you believe you can do something you can't (break a dudes forearm with an open hand strike... I mean really now!)
    Everything wrestling, BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing & MMA.
    Full time Super Saiyan.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Nicksix View Post
    Join a MMA gym?
    Most "traditional" martial arts are sh.it and make you believe you can do something you can't (break a dudes forearm with an open hand strike... I mean really now!)
    But hey I can half moon kick through a slate! That means I can beat up anybody yeah?
    **30 day no fap challenge** Join me brothers!

muscleandstrength.com/forum/general-chat/68685-does-no-fap-work.html

I train to be an athlete not a bodybuilder

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

I loved the three years I had in wrestling. If you can eat just one punch on the way to a double-leg or be swift enough to move out of the way to avoid that nonsense, there's no bar fight you will lose. Throwing someone hard against the ground is a very valuable thing to learn.
    Supps: MGN Pure Isolate, NOW Omega-3's, ON Opti-Men's, Scivation Xtend & Dymatize Xpand

"‎Failure is final. Failure is only truly failure if you quit. EVERYTHING else is merely a setback."
    - Layne Norton

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Possum View Post
    If you want to learn how to fight stick with Muay Thai over the 2 stated above. Martial art preference is also more about limb length, speed etc over any sort of size strength.

I train/have trained quite a range of styles but my favourites by far are boxing, BJJ and wrestling (If you want to just strike, id choose Muay Thai or Kickboxing over boxing). They are all varied and actually work on the street rather than various other traditional martial arts like TKD etc.

Dude I have trained both Muay Thai and Savate,and Savate is exellent for Street Fighting.

Muay Thai has no advantages over Savate as a matter of fact I dropped the muay Thai training in part to concentrate on Savate more at the time and have had a few fights with some of the Muay Thai guys in my town,thus I have found that the "awe" in which most people hold Muay Thai in is quite unfounded not to say it's not an effective art but i feel it has more limits in a street fight then Savate when it comes to kicking.

Like I said and I stand by it if the guy was to luck up and find a Savate school he should join it.
    Last edited by Conan; 05-15-2012 at 07:10 PM.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Join a MMA gym?

Calling other Martial sh&t huh? my my thats one thing I have notcied with people that go to traditional marts schools that have a high quality instructor most students have a good level of respect for other arts and theres a lower level of calling other arts sh%t,and another thing I have found is there is a higher level of disrespect among people that do MMA for 'traditional" martial arts.

and as to the break a dudes forearm with an open hand strike... I mean really now!) seems to me you have been watching waayyyy to many movies because no one I knw that studies traditional Martial arts has ever made that kinda claim.

Do I think some arts give certian advantages that other arts don't ?yes I do.

After att while Wing Chun is a good street fighting art you wouldn't go to a Wing Chun Teacher to learn better kicking,nor long range fighting with the hands.

Do I as someone that has practiced Savate think it gives you great punching and kicking abilities thing it covers all of the bases no.Which is why I also became one of thsoe guys reconstructing and revivng Bartitsu but even it doesn't have all the answers,but it gives me more solutions to an attack then Savate or Muay thai do.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Conan View Post
    Dude I have trained both Muay Thai and Savate,and Savate is exellent for Street Fighting.

Muay Thai has no advantages over Savate as a matter of fact I dropped the muay Thai training in part to concentrate on Savate more at the time and have had a few fights with some of the Muay Thai guys in my town,thus I have found that the "awe" in which most people hold Muay Thai in is quite unfounded not to say it's not an effective art but i feel it has more limits ina street fight in Savate when it comes to kicking.

Like I said and I stand by it if the guy was to luck up and find a Savate school he should join it.
    Hi guys! I see you're really into martial arts! I'm a beginner and actually just started to watch mma. Moreover I'm going to start training, but I still haven't chosen style I want) I know it sounds like banana, but I really want to have your advise) what would you recommend to a girl?

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Conan View Post

Muay Thai has no advantages over Savate as a matter of fact I dropped the muay Thai training in part to concentrate on Savate more at the time and have had a few fights with some of the Muay Thai guys in my town,thus I have found that the "awe" in which most people hold Muay Thai in is quite unfounded not to say it's not an effective art but i feel it has more limits ina street fight in Savate when it comes to kicking.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahaha *breath* hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    Your second last sentence was too much for me
    Last edited by Nicksix; 05-14-2012 at 06:48 AM.
    Full time Super Saiyan.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahaha *breath* hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    yeh i was going back though this thread and spotted that type-o

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

+1 dude !

Never seen such a negligent comment in my life

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

Default Train Thai

Quote Originally Posted by RyanBroo View Post
    It honestly depends on what you want to do, I have trained Thai, Jap and Brazil Jitz, Kickboxing, and various other random tid bits of martial arts. I started out in kickboxing and loved it, but with my aspirations of cage fighting when I became of age, I got more into Thai. Thai in my opinion is much more fun and much more useful in means of self defense. It focuses more on clinch work, and tight kicks/knees. You just have to evaluate what you truly want to get out of it, and strive to achieve it.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Possum View Post

Not sure what you're implying. But if you learn Traditional TKD at a proper school (not some stupid spaghetti factor that spits out athletes who just want to fight in the Olympics) you learn Hapkido, Grappling, Self-Defense, Sparring, etc. Taekwondo is very effective for self-defense (which is what it advocates, because it builds on the premise of respect, honour and dignity and it actually promotes unity and non-violence.)

My dad has devoted over 40 years of his life to Taekwondo and there are very few people today who could take him in a fight...he's also 65 years old.

Also Ryan, my dad used to run Kim's Taekwondo Academy in Sudbury, Ontario. It was his school (no longer open, due to the whole Vale Inco Strike a few years ago.)
    As far as the other schools here for TKD, I don't recommend them, they're still good but not good enough to pay for IMO (we used to destroy them in competitions, both local and provincial and lots of our students went to Nationals and even to the PanAm Games, etc.)

I'd look into Sudbury BJJ or Sudbury MMA if you're just looking for a school where you can stay active and keep training...downfalls are that they are super expensive (like $150 a month for unlimited access to one style and KB classes/conditioning classes) My dad would charge $40/month for access to all classes and all open gym time/equipment for training (the joys of having a not-for-profit school.)
    Last edited by majavojnovic; 10-05-2012 at 12:00 PM.

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit

I would try ving tzun (wing chun) or Jeet kune do. Try a few things out and another important factor is, is the Teacher ..sensei,sifu, whatever ok and do you like the people there? I remember years ago doing shotokan karate and the teacher was a total idiot. A real Rambo wanna be clown,,,take time to find a good teacher that is very important.

Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log

Whichever skill you decide to learn, it's only ever as good as the person wielding it...I've watched Savateurs knock out TKD, Karate, and Muay Thai fighters...seen Muay Thai fighters take out Savateurs...etc.

Sometimes it all comes down to a lucky strike as well.

Which you'd be better at Boxing or Muay Thai, the only way to know is to give both a short trial.
    1-Finger Deadlift, 1RM: 80.3lbs/36.5kg

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Training Log

Old thread back to life eh?

I have little knowledge or experience with most of what is discussed here. One of my dear friends teaches BJJ and he is a scary SOB in a fight.

I personally like Krav Maga and Sambo as far as self defense goes (have fun finding a real Sambo school-but you can get practical dvds which give a somewhat basic experience). I have become really interested in Hapkido.

But this is probably all horse crap because it sounds like you want to compete,which I know nothing about.
    ANTI FAILURE

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Stick with what is known to work. Muay thai. KIck boxing. Wrestling. BJJ.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    This. Get a wrestling or BJJ base throw in some boxing/muay thai.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post

Wrestling is good but it has no techniques to take out a person but it would make a good part of a system's grappling methods.

Ahh muay thai and Kickboxing(which has turned into a watered down version of Muay Thai),most people run to these two like they are the be all end all of striking arts,and totally overlook western systems like Savate,Danse De Rue Savate,Bartitsu etc etc..

BJJ..... no offence but there are other systems of actual Jiu-Jiutsu,BJJ is a highly modified version of Kodokan Judo taken to Brazil master Mitsuyo Maeda.

Not to say it's not effective but I don't see it as a form of Jiu-Jiutsu ,but as a from of "Brazilian Hybrid Judo."

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Brazilian hybrid judo, nice way to put it.
    ~Head SAN Rep~

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

BJJ and wrestling base. Throw in some Muay Thai and boxing.
    Full time Super Saiyan.