MEMBER LOGIN

Thread: Where to start?

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Where to start?

Since I'm looking to achieve my goals of getting toned and stronger by the next school year, I need to start as fast as I can. I'm willing to do just about anything it takes, I just need to know where to begin my training. At home, all I have is some old equipment I can't rely on because I don't think I should use them as of now and I don't think is safe. The things I can use are a few dumbbells (10, 15, 25, and 40 lbs) and a pull-up bar (provided I'm not too tall for it). Originally, I had a plan set out: I would do 30 reps of lifting the 15 lbs (5 sets), 15 push-ups (3 sets), and 50 crunches (3 sets). I guess this helped slightly, but a friend of mine (who is much more experience than me) explained to me that this was more likely to make me lose weight, which is obviously the last thing I wanna do. This is why I've decided to try going to the gym: because it has more options.

I really need to know what I should start out with, when I should move on, and how I know I should move on. My original plan was really just something I put together without much thought to it, because I wasn't too knowledgeable on the subject. In addition to a workout plan, I also need to focus on my eating habits. Those workouts I was doing actually did make me a bit more tolerant of food, because before I got full pretty fast, and didn't like eating a lot of foods. At this point, I can eat a lot more things. I might still be full kind of fast, but I imagine as I keep working out, that'll change. The problem now is that I'm usually only able to eat rice and chicken, because that's usually what's cooked. I understand that these have calories, but will eating them constantly actually be enough? I mean, they're obviously not all that's ever good cooked, but it's what I've seen on the table most of the time. What should I change about that? Different meats? Drinking protein? Maybe a bit of fast food here and there?

So these are pretty much my questions: What workouts should I do, and what foods are should I eat?

Edit: Another thing, my metabolism seems to be very fast (if I'm using that term correctly, I'm kind of confused)., which is probably also part of the reason I've remained so skinny for most of my life.
    Last edited by Obelish; 04-29-2012 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Left out detail

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Great work on joining a gym.

Your next step should be choosing a suitable workout routine based on your experience.
    I would recommend using one of the beginners workout routines from this site, you can find them HERE.

Use one of the beginners workouts for approximately 8-10 weeks and then you can move onto a program more suited to your specific goals and needs.
    The purpose of the beginners routine is to allow your body to adapt to training in a safe and efficient manner, without over-training and risking yourself with injury.

As for the diet, variety is encouraged. If chicken and rice is all you can get, then get that in and make sure it fits your requirements. If you can bring in variety, definitely do so - this will make an eating plan/diet much more enjoyable and even more effective in the long term on your results and also psychologically.
    Fast food is fine on an occasional basis as a 'free meal', although I would try and focus on wholesome foods first and foremost.

Check out the link below, it has all the information and links you will need on creating a diet for your goals.
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/for...nce-guide.html

If you have any further questions, post them up
    Consistency is the key

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Thanks a lot, now I actually have a direction for where I'm going. Also, the BMR calculator doesn't seem to be working. I've entered all of the fields and it still keeps on telling me to enter them all.