MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Chronic elbow/wrist pain

Hi everyone. I was wondering If anyone could give me any advise be it magic potions or form tips to eliminate the pain I'm getting in my elbows and wrists during presses. Incline bench press seems fine but flat and decline, hell I can't straighten my arms for a day after. It's not hindering my progress because of my no pain no gain attitude but damn it turns my stomach when it kicks in!
    I'm now strapping my wrists with wrap around "bad boy" straps but my elbows seem to be taking a battering because of it. Im plateauing around 198lbs on bench and feel without the pain I can break the plateau. I'm 147lbs and 5ft 9. Lifting now for 6 months, working so hard it's untrue and delighted with the results, gone from a measly 133lbs to a lean 147lbs in that time, I'm lucky I cut while building naturally but putting it ons tough! Anyway back to the elbows, any suggestions? Is it purely bad form from lifting too heavy too soon perhaps??

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Training Log

See a doctor?
    Nut up or shut up.

"As I have said before, there is what science says works, and there is what actually works." LBEB

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

Quote Originally Posted by robnrocko View Post
    Hi everyone. I was wondering If anyone could give me any advise be it magic potions or form tips to eliminate the pain I'm getting in my elbows and wrists during presses. Incline bench press seems fine but flat and decline, hell I can't straighten my arms for a day after. It's not hindering my progress because of my no pain no gain attitude but damn it turns my stomach when it kicks in!
    I'm now strapping my wrists with wrap around "bad boy" straps but my elbows seem to be taking a battering because of it. Im plateauing around 198lbs on bench and feel without the pain I can break the plateau. I'm 147lbs and 5ft 9. Lifting now for 6 months, working so hard it's untrue and delighted with the results, gone from a measly 133lbs to a lean 147lbs in that time, I'm lucky I cut while building naturally but putting it ons tough! Anyway back to the elbows, any suggestions? Is it purely bad form from lifting too heavy too soon perhaps??
    Sounds like tendonitis to me but as the previous poster has put...maybe time to see your GP.
    Bench Press 264lb - 120kg (x1.25 BW)
    Squat 352lb - 160kg (x1.66 BW)
    Dead Lift - 484lb - 220kg (x2.28 BW)
    Seated Overhead Press 154lb - 70kg
    Combined 1100lb - 500kg (x5.25 BW)

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

I had a similar thing happen at one point. I took Tylenol and laid off 2 weeks then pain was gone. If that doesn't help then spend the dough on a Doc
    "You will not be impatient; the grind is where character is made. Focus on what you have to do TODAY to make tomorrow better. This is a life long project"
    Jim Wendler.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I've never really had wrist pain, but I've definitely had elbow pain. I got the usual run-around from doctors, physio's, pt's etc for months but they were no use and eventually I solved the problem myself.

I figured the pain was either tension in my forearms and/or my bi's and/or tri's, so started doing a lot of stretching and massaged myself best I could and never had a problem since.

This could explain your elbow and wrist pain, or your wrists could be due to incorrect hand position when pressing. Without seeing you train I can't add to that. Where exactly is the pain?