MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Core/ Ab workouts

Hello all,

I am looking to revamp/ intensify my current ab/ core routine. I was wondering, what are your top 5 ab/ core workouts and why? Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by aratheresa View Post
    Hello all,

I am looking to revamp/ intensify my current ab/ core routine. I was wondering, what are your top 5 ab/ core workouts and why? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Welcome to the forum.

This site has quite a few ab workouts, you can find the database for them specifically HERE.

For myself personally, my favourite way to train the abs is to perform a few selective weighted exercises (weighted crunches, cable wood chops, weighted leg raises) which will enable me to properly overload the entire muscle group/abs in an efficient way like any other muscle group for maximum growth and strength gains.

I find that body-weight exercises without any weight will only work up to a certain point, where the only way to further progress would be to increase the reps - which will to a point not be so effective in building muscle and strength in general - this is why I feel a lot of people can benefit from weight added/resistance when they can handle it.

Consistency is the key

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I agree with Scrutiny. heavy decline situps, hanging leg raises, and cable crunches are all i need. I find it better to focus more on weight progression than intensity when I do abs.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I will be checking these out, and that website as well. Thank you for the advice, you were very helpful!

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal

Quote Originally Posted by aratheresa View Post
    Hello all,

my top 5 abs workout
    1. Planks
    2. Bicycle
    3. Leg Raises (lower abs)
    4. Sit ups on SB
    5. Abs Rotation

This works my core muscle more effective

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

My Top 5 core workouts are:

Deadlift (It works you core believe it or not)
    This is actually my favorite exercise hands down, because it works SO many muscles (hamstrings, low back, core, some glutes and quads, upper back). This exercise will help you to build a lot of core strength, as your core needs to work hard to stabilize the load as you lift it off the ground. It's also one of the most commonly used movement patterns in real life, and so many people do it incorrectly.

Goblet Squat
    Because of the way you hold the weight, your core has to work amazingly hard to stabilize your body as you lower into a squat. It really works wonders for me, and it's a very functional move.

Kettle Bell Swing
    It trains hip extension and is a very powerful movement for your core. Your hips, glutes, and core musculature have to produce a lot to force rapidly to move the kettle bell, so it's great for building power in your core.

Hip Ups
    A good stability move for your obliques. There's not too much to say, it's basically the next progression from a side plank. I like this move a lot.

Figure Eights
    This is a good move to train your core to move in the transverse plane (rotational movement), which many people neglect to do. Small circles works your rectus abdominis (what we think of as the "abs") more, whereas larger circles trains the entire core. I like to do these in a circuit with Hip Ups and some type of crunch to hit all planes of motion.

If you notice one thing about my top 5, it's that there are no crunches in there. I don't dislike or hate on crunches, but it's really not the best exercise for your core. You're core's most important function is to resist unwanted movement and stabilize the spine. If you train it that way, you'll get a rock solid, functional core. Remember, your core goes well beyond your abs!

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Tone Up

I love to switch up my routine pretty often..I can feel it the most and see a good difference when I do that. I just came across these exercises from women's health that I'm going to try. http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/abs-workouts

I like to regularly do planks, medicine ball crunches, reverse crunches, bicycles and will always throw in a new exercise or 2. I sometimes have the same set routine with 5 exercises i may do twice a week and a different set of exercises 3 times, and a different one maybe once, etc. Just to change it up so I don't get bored and my abs can get the most of the exercises.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I like to do ab exercises on an incline/decline bench (leg lifts,reverse crunch) really changes to intensity